PDA

View Full Version : W00ty! I'm going to Japan!

Social Moon Firesky
06-17-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm going to Japan for 3 weeks, as of 28th June. I'm really nervous, 'cos I'll be staying with 5 different families, and 1 of my host families don't speak any English, and my Japanese is absolutely roo-bish. Has anyone ever been to Japan before? Any hints on how to survive?

DreamingOfDreams
06-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Lucky!!! I wish I was going!

Hawkeye
06-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Can I go with you? I swear I'll fit in the suit bag :love:

Cruise Control
Bring a plastic spoon, you can stab psychos with it, and since its plastic it won't set off metal detectors!

Social Moon Firesky
Anything for you, Hawkey3. :love: It's a school trip, but there's only 8 of us going, plus 2 teachers...I know! I'll take loadsa piccies while I'm away and then post 'em on here! :D

Rye
06-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Sounds great. Have fun. :D

DreamingOfDreams
06-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Yay!!! Pictures!!! If I shrink to the size of a frozen pea, can I come with you?

Sepho
06-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Congrats. All I can say is that I'm envious.

Social Moon Firesky
06-17-2005, 07:52 PM
If I shrink to the size of a frozen pea, can I come with you?

I'll put you in my pocket now. *Does so* Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I 'absolutely must' do? And does anyone know what sort of etiquette there is?

Destai
06-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Congrats, sounds brilliant.

DreamingOfDreams
06-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Don't offend anyone. Don't swear at them. Don't insult them in any way, shape or form!

Social Moon Firesky
06-17-2005, 07:55 PM
I don't know any Japanese swear words.

DreamingOfDreams
06-17-2005, 07:57 PM

hehehe. I know what stupid is - Baka! Hentai Baka is stupid pervert. Don't call anyone that (unless they're looking at your knickers!)

ZuZu
06-17-2005, 08:00 PM
I know MANY but maybe it's better I won't teach them :D And don't use your owns ;)
Have a nice trip

I'm gonna kick your ass if you won't bring me anything from Japan :cool:

Social Moon Firesky
06-17-2005, 08:00 PM
If they were looking at my knickers, I think I'd say 'echi' which is a milder version of 'hentai'. Actually, come to think of it, I know quite a few rude words. PM me for them. Language-wise, I should be okay. I've been taught how to say the bare necessities, and I've been swatting up on my vocab as well, which in turn has taught me a useful number of kanji.

DreamingOfDreams
06-17-2005, 08:02 PM
whats kanji? I only know a small amount of japanese. Not enough to say anything sane. :D

Social Moon Firesky
06-17-2005, 08:07 PM
whats kanji? I only know a small amount of japanese. Not enough to say anything sane. :D

Japanese consists of 3 alphabets: hirigana, katakana and kanji.

Hirigana is used to write Japanese words, and doesn't have as many sounds as our language.
Katakana is used to write English words, but in Japanese style.
Kanji is the complex drawings, which are used to display whole meanings.

There's also romaji which is the writing of Japanese into English, and it's usually written phonetically.

I know a limited amount of kanji, but I know enough to stop me from wandering into the men's toilet. :D

DreamingOfDreams
06-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Hehe. Thanks. I didn't know all that (just stating the obvious :D)

Psychotic
06-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Buy as many obscure video games/anime/manga/whatever as you can possibly find, then sell them on eBay.

44 caliber
06-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Bow. A lot. At everything. Before you enter. Before you leave.

They're be so thrilled at your manners that they will love you. :love:

Social Moon Firesky
06-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Bow. A lot. At everything. Before you enter. Before you leave.

They're be so thrilled at your manners that they will love you. :love:

Yeah, I've been told to do that, but my Japanese teacher says it doesn't matter if we don't, 'cos we're foreigners and the Japanese won't expect us to know their ways. We've also been warned that they might explain the hot and cold running taps, in case we don't know what running water is!

DreamingOfDreams
06-17-2005, 09:06 PM
hehehe. The water runs down the sink the other way there, dosn't it? or is that australia?

Chris
06-17-2005, 09:35 PM
I've been to Japan (my brother is Japanese) and all you should be aware of is their Traditional Pride. If asked, don't turn down any of the Traditions they may offer you to join, it'll only offend them and hurt their pride. Other than that, they're very nice people.

Social Moon Firesky
06-17-2005, 09:36 PM
I've been to Japan (my brother is Japanese) and all you should be aware of is their Traditional Pride. If asked, don't turn down any of the Traditions they may offer you to join, it'll only offend them and hurt their pride. Other than that, they're very nice people.

I'll bear that in mind. Thanks Chris! :love:

Resha
06-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Have FUN SMF! Buy loadsa anime and manga and yum yum yum! ^_^ xDDD And take PICCYTURES, okies?!?! I need. <333

Chris
06-17-2005, 09:44 PM
I'll bear that in mind. Thanks Chris! :love:

No problemo! xD

Old Manus
06-17-2005, 09:47 PM
I would say :jap:, but..

mcsspitfire
06-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Have Fun! I'm sooooooooo jealous! ^-^

Shlup
06-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Yousuckyousuckyousuckyousuck! I wanna go to Japan!

Little Miss Awesome
06-17-2005, 11:37 PM
I want to go there! I hope you have a lovely time and try not to worry about what people will think about you because chances are if they explain how the running water is they'll be pretty forgiving if you do do something wrong- even though you probably won't!

Cless
06-18-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm so jealous! Here's a place to go if you want some information on how you should behave:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e622.html

Hope that helps a bit, although you needn't worry about them too much as foreigners aren't expected to know every little detail on how to behave. Have fun! :D

Spammerman
06-18-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm going to Japan for 3 weeks, as of 28th June. I'm really nervous, 'cos I'll be staying with 5 different families, and 1 of my host families don't speak any English, and my Japanese is absolutely roo-bish. Has anyone ever been to Japan before? Any hints on how to survive?

konichiwa is hello
sayonara is goodbye.Sushu is raw fish
o yea. CUrse u too the deepest pits oh heaven.

black orb
06-18-2005, 03:30 AM
>>> Aghh!! Thats not fair I want to go too. :cry:

crashNUMBERS
06-18-2005, 03:37 AM
konichiwa is hello
sayonara is goodbye.Sushu is raw fish
o yea. CUrse u too the deepest pits oh heaven.
I'd think she'd atleast know that. She did say roo-bish but I think she'd know the basic words...

Agent Proto
06-18-2005, 03:41 AM
Be sure to introduce EoFF to some of the lucky kids there!

black orb
06-18-2005, 03:48 AM
It's a school trip, but there's only 8 of us going, plus 2 teachers...
>>> You`re lucky I am not one of your non-chosen classmates. *sharps knife*

Sweet Beloved
06-18-2005, 03:52 AM
man....you suck. i wish i could go....
lucky dawg.

Peegee
06-18-2005, 04:49 AM
I should be jealous but being in HK, I'm not. In any case, I hope you like the sudden incapability of buying decent clothing that won't make you stand out in America, the sudden vanishment of rare steak, and dance clubs where people make general americans dance like gods.

Oh God am I jaded.

Though if you are just going there to sight see and have fun, you'll have no problem there ;p

Ko Ko
06-18-2005, 04:54 AM
WHOOOOOOOO Are you going to Tokyo? Because if you go to Tokyo go to Shibuya. Shibuya is THE BEST shopping district in this frickin' world.
If you need any help with the language, remember japanese is my first language and you can easily give me a call if you need a translator. I'll PM you my landline and mobile if you need it. So get studying, you! :skull3:
A hint of advice. Japan is very social and USA/UK oriented. Tons of people speak english and it's really easy to get around, so DON'T worry. And unless you want to eat octopus, for your sake don't order tako at taco bell.
Another thing is, if you get lost (which I doubt) or in trouble and need help, it would only take me an hour to get to you since I'm right next door, hey?
Good luck!

Alixsar
06-18-2005, 05:54 AM
Just nod and smile a lot; you'll be fine.

And I don't understand why everyone is jealous etc. You all realize that you could go to Japan if you wanted to, right? And besides, what's so great about going to Japan anyway? "Oh wow, anime and video games come from here!" Yeah, so what? Who cares? *shrug* I dunno.

smittenkitten
06-18-2005, 06:11 AM
WOWEEE hehe i can't beleive you're going to japan!Can i go?I swear il be good and not kidnap the Japenese president :skull7: hehe or ransack Squaresoft well your a lucky thing il be going in a few years cause i think my big brother is moving there but i hope you have a nice time and enjoy yourself and don't worry just be friendly,smile and you'll be fine :skull8:.xXx...

TifaLockhart7
06-18-2005, 06:14 AM
I've always wanted to see Tokyo in Japan...and I will when I'm older to go to an art school there.

Raven Nox
06-18-2005, 06:17 AM
Hey, can you get me a japanese PS2 and the oringal version of Star Ocean: Till the End on Time, and Star Ocean: Director's Cut? And maybe any thing else you can see that an RPG... I'll pay...

I know a site that helped with people going to Japan and it was also a how to learn japanese site... every time I go to it now though, it kicks me off, so I can't really give it to ya, you can try it, it might work for you: thejapanesepage.com

Sushi is raw fish

Sushi is actually raw fish in rice. I believe Sashimi is raw fish (it's been a while since I'm been to a sushi place so... I really don't remember...)

:roll:

black orb
06-18-2005, 06:27 AM
And I don't understand why everyone is jealous etc. You all realize that you could go to Japan if you wanted to, right? And besides, what's so great about going to Japan anyway? "Oh wow, anime and video games come from here!" Yeah, so what? Who cares? *shrug* I dunno.
>>> You are kidding right?

and Social Moon Firesky did i told you how jealous I am?.

TifaLockhart7
06-18-2005, 06:28 AM
Lol, hey Rowen, were you asking me to get you those things???

Raven Nox
06-18-2005, 06:32 AM
Lol, hey Rowen, were you asking me to get you those things???

Umm... no, I wasn't.

I'm also very jealous of SMF. >.< I wanna go to Japan so bad, I was gonna be an exchange student, but I just never did, plus, my grades were :tongue: so I doubt they would let me, but someday, I want to go...

:roll:

TifaLockhart7
06-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Lol, oh okay...yeah I want to go so badly, but I need a translator....lol.

Sweet Beloved
06-18-2005, 06:44 AM
somebody PM me if they can teach me japanese....I'd REALLY appreciate it.

TifaLockhart7
06-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Lol, I wish I knew how to speak Japanese....

Devourment
06-18-2005, 10:48 AM
WoW! You're going to Japan!! That's great!! I want to go to Japan when I'm a bit older.. Mind you, I want to go to a lot of places when I'm older, I'm a travel freak! I really want to visit the Himalayas when I'm older. It looks so beautiful! Anyway.. I hope you have a great time when you go to Japan, it sounds great!

Oh, & I'm learning to speak Japanese in September. :cool:

Social Moon Firesky
06-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Sowwy guys! I promise I'll buy you all loadsa pressies! :love: And yeah, I suck to Hell...:D Anyways, thank you all so much for your advice! I'm feeling more confident about going now, though I'm a bit worried about jetlag. Do you think that'll be a problem?

Camanche
06-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Congratulations. Hope you enjoy yourself. Pardon me, but doesn't “hentai” literally translate as "abnormal" or "abnormality"?

I'm learning Japanese through Roomaji right now, but it is all self-taught, so I'm just going by the literal translation. It probably does mean "pervert" when converted. :p

Chris
06-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Sowwy guys! I promise I'll buy you all loadsa pressies! :love: And yeah, I suck to Hell...:D Anyways, thank you all so much for your advice! I'm feeling more confident about going now, though I'm a bit worried about jetlag. Do you think that'll be a problem?

No! I travel a couple of times every year between homes in the Philippines and Denmark. That'll not be a problem, for me at least. :spin:

Little Miss Awesome
06-18-2005, 01:47 PM
You should go to the Square Enix place and encourage them to hurry up the whole FF12 thing :p

Zeldy
06-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Have a great time, SMF. I will miss you :(

Social Moon Firesky
06-18-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm gonna miss all you guys too! But I promise I'll make a thread about the trip or something, and tell you all about the random things that will probably happen, like me falling into Naruto. O_O

Y,R,P
06-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Aww, you are sooooooo lucky! I wish I could go! You could go to Square Enix and ask them to get done with Advent Children faster!
And get me a few pictures of some places and japanese people.

And remember that: biftiki means beaf steak Inu means Dog and uhhhhh, have a GREAT time there!

Social Moon Firesky
06-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Aww, you are sooooooo lucky! I wish I could go! You could go to Square Enix and ask them to get done with Advent Children faster!
And get me a few pictures of some places and japanese people.

And remember that: biftiki means beaf steak Inu means Dog and uhhhhh, have a GREAT time there!

I'll take loadsa piccies, I promise! I'll try not to moon in any of them like last time...:D I really want pictures of temples and geisha women! They're soooo cool!

Itsunari 2000
06-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Hope you enjoy yourself- I'd recommend you check out some of the Soba and sushi houses while you're there. Don't forget your manners and say your " arigato gozaimasu "'s and you'll do fine.

Social Moon Firesky
06-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Hope you enjoy yourself- I'd recommend you check out some of the Soba and sushi houses while you're there. Don't forget your manners and say your " arigato gozaimasu "'s and you'll do fine.

Okles, I'll bear that in mind. Thanks! :D

Spammerman
06-18-2005, 04:23 PM
o yea, have a nice time.

Sweet Beloved
06-19-2005, 01:59 AM
I'm sure you'll be fine. I've heard a lot of cool things about Japan so, you enjoy yourself and have a wicked time!

Y,R,P
06-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah, have a great time there in Japan and remember my other post.

Social Moon Firesky
06-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Thankles everyone! I'll remember all your advice! 7 days to go! :D

Zeldy
06-21-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm gonna miss all you guys too! But I promise I'll make a thread about the trip or something, and tell you all about the random things that will probably happen, like me falling into Naruto. O_O

Naruto!! Naruto rocks :love:

Social Moon Firesky
06-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Naruto!! Naruto rocks :love:

You mean the TV show, right? I really do think I'll end up drowning in Naruto. (The whirlpool) It's one of my worst nightmares...Oh well, if that happens, I'll scream at someone to video my watery death and post it on here, so you can admire the beauty of the river, while I scream horribly. :D

Y,R,P
06-22-2005, 12:29 PM
You mean the TV show, right? I really do think I'll end up drowning in Naruto. (The whirlpool) It's one of my worst nightmares...Oh well, if that happens, I'll scream at someone to video my watery death and post it on here, so you can admire the beauty of the river, while I scream horribly.
That'll be funny.

Also can you post some Japanese stuff on my forum? when you go to it and near the bottem theres a thing that says 'Our World' make a Japanese topic in there and post some of your quest. You don't have to, I'll just like it.
All of you guys may join while its here. Now here it is: http://phpbbforfree.com/forums/uni.html

Social Moon Firesky
06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I will don't worry :D 6 days to go! I really can't wait! I better get packing!

Destai
06-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Bring back lots of pictures and a postcard or something. Oh and get some oragami.

Super Christ
06-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Don't forget to mail me a japanese girl.

Y,R,P
06-22-2005, 03:09 PM
And oh don't forget to send me a Menga! And the Inuyasha movie(s)!

Swordicanus
06-23-2005, 01:29 AM

You are soooooooooooooooooo lucky it's my dream to eventually go to Japan and I will be there oh yes........................................or will I?

The Anarchy Angel
06-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Bring me back noodles!! Please!! I like noodles!! And if posisble, anime classes!! Can you buy those? Of course!

Have some real fun there! And take pictures on your phone like in the adverts for that camera phone (i forget what it is) so you can just hold it up to people and they'll point you in the right direction! Most people speak pretty decent english there anyway

Social Moon Firesky
06-24-2005, 10:51 AM
I hope they speak decent English, 'cos my Japanese is weak. I know that at least one of the families I'm going to stay with speak NO English, but apparently that shouldn't be a problem...How? My dad went to Japan last September, and he had problems with language, saying that hardly anybody he spoke to knew English, but I prepared him with a homemade Japanese dictionary, so he was all right. Photos will be abundant, so don't worry guys! And I promise I won't moon in any of them this time! :D 4 DAYS TO GO! W00ty!

Y,R,P
06-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Four more days till your happyness starts!

Seyonara! lol