PDA

View Full Version : New Battle System?

Ixion
06-18-2005, 07:06 AM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/626/626724p1.html

According to this article something big is about to be announced at the late July event. I don't know about you but I think this game has taken far too long for just touch ups to give it that "Final Fantasy Feel." Maybe they are completely changing the battle system back to normal or something? That could be the reason why it wasn't playable at E3. I think this might all make sense givin the fact there has also been a rumor of a glitch that couldn't make the new battle system possible and also the critisizm it took. What do you think?

Roogle
06-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Well, the battle system looks like a modified version of Final Fantasy XI's battle system with a few alterations. I don't see why it couldn't be possible.

What was the glitch that the rumor spoke of, exactly?

Ixion
06-18-2005, 07:37 PM
I don't know exactly. I read it somewhere on this forum or maybe another one about how they are taking longer because of a glitch in the battle system........but anyway I wouldn't think graphics touch ups would delay the game this long like everybody says. I think the only reason something would get delayed this far back would be because of a battle system overhaul and that's what they could be announcing.

Destai
06-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Hopefully Squares too smart to change the battle system for a bunch of bitching fanboys who cant be pleased either way. The battle system looked fun.

Super Christ
06-18-2005, 11:01 PM
I was overjoyed they were ditching random encounters. I hope they're not planning to add those in again...

Ste
06-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Well, early on the battle system was supposed to be near ffx-2s with a few twists, but since then it seems to have been altered to a more actiony feel. i like what ive seen of it, but i guess for proper proof we will have to wait till the end of july when square hold their conference thing.

Necronopticous
06-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Hopefully Squares too smart to change the battle system for a bunch of bitching fanboys who cant be pleased either way. The battle system looked fun.It is fun, and I hope so too.

DMKA
06-19-2005, 01:33 AM
I hope Square blows up.

EDIT: No not really, but I'm scared that I'm going to end up not liking it, because the turn-based system is really the only reason I'm still playing games at all.

Russielloyd
06-19-2005, 02:21 AM
Well i got FFXI and i think the battle system is really good, but any style is good for me.

If its the old battle system then the levels of my character will gradually go up without me having a say in it (i never run/escape from a battle) and be strong enough, as to with the new system id properly skip all the battles and be screwed when i came to a major boss.

If its the new battle system then i dont have to worrie about getting into random battles if im in a rush to do a certain thing, as to if its the old system, id get pissed off and frustrated that ive had 5 random battles and not even moved 10 steps (research faclility on FF8 drove me crazy!)

Anyways, im down for what ever.

crazybayman
06-20-2005, 12:11 PM
I hope Square blows up.

EDIT: No not really, but I'm scared that I'm going to end up not liking it, because the turn-based system is really the only reason I'm still playing games at all.

Me too. The turn based system is the reason I play FFX and FFVIII over and over again.

Are they really getting rid of random battles? That'll suck, if they do that, they might as well not release it as a Final Fantasy title. Its one of the characteristics that defines FF as a series.

People can complain about random battles all they want, but I feel its a necessary part of any final fantasy game.

Craig
06-20-2005, 02:08 PM
I don't see how a turn based system defines Final Fantasy, considering that most RPGs have something very similar.

And I don't really know but I think it'll have characteristics of turn based and real time.

crazybayman
06-20-2005, 02:53 PM
I don't see how a turn based system defines Final Fantasy, considering that most RPGs have something very similar.

And I don't really know but I think it'll have characteristics of turn based and real time.

I didn't say the turn based system defines Final Fantasy, I said that Random Battles do. And they are just one of the many characteristics that define FF.

I just hope its a screen with my guys on one side, the enemies on the other, with a turn based system (or waiting for the gauge to fill, like FFVII), or something of the sort. And yes, such a battle system is a characteristic of Final Fantasy, except for the crap they call X-2.

Cyraniel
06-21-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm glad they're changing the battle system. Most FF battle systems are pretty much grinding levels so you easily own all the enemies and pressing "Attack" over and over. It's never required much skill or even been that interesting. Battle systems where you can tape down the X button and walk away are boring.

squareSOFT
06-22-2005, 01:44 AM
I just want a traditional turn-based game with a few refinements made to the battles. A Xenosaga type encounter would be nice where the enemies are visible on-screen, but then you go into a typical battle screen. Square has owned the RPG world with simple, yet fun battles and I would like to see that continue.

lordblazer
06-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Well i got FFXI and i think the battle system is really good, but any style is good for me.

If its the old battle system then the levels of my character will gradually go up without me having a say in it (i never run/escape from a battle) and be strong enough, as to with the new system id properly skip all the battles and be screwed when i came to a major boss.

If its the new battle system then i dont have to worrie about getting into random battles if im in a rush to do a certain thing, as to if its the old system, id get pissed off and frustrated that ive had 5 random battles and not even moved 10 steps (research faclility on FF8 drove me crazy!)

Anyways, im down for what ever.
you only had 5 in 10 steps wow your are a lucky man my friend.I got about 35 battles in 10 steps int eh research facility.

Yeah a new battle system will be a nice fresh start if square wants to keep the FF series going,because simply and plainly its dying out. The only thing keeping htem alive right now is really FF11 and the upcoming advent children which will probaly raise square's stock value.If it isn't a bust.