PDA

View Full Version : TEMPEST - Fight Genre

Mercen-X
06-18-2005, 08:46 AM
TEMPEST

All right. You know those games like Rival Schools and King of Fighters where you can choose multiple characters for battle and switch between them at the press of a button? You know those games with massive combo systems? (my fave is Tekken)
You know those games that cross over characters from different Titles?

Well . . . throw them all into a blender, hit shrapee and you get TEMPEST: A game that takes powerful or crafty (but always cool) characters from Anime, Movies, Games, Books, and Manga alike and gives the player access to every facet of the character's abilities.

The control scheme is complicated enough that anyone eleven and younger will have a difficult time playing as some of the characters who have more attacks. However, it's easy enough for anyone else to get the knack of within 10 minutes. Or at least, I hope it'll be. Honestly, I haven't gotten very far with that part.

Most of the characters have so many abilities that they are able to combat alone. However, the focus of TEMPEST is the Omnifighter. The Omnifighter (more appropriately called the Multifighter, but Omni sounds cooler) is any character who doesn't have enough attacks alone in his/her repertoire. Thus, more fighters are added to the team. One Piece has the biggest group being made of five.

Unlike in traditional "press-the-R1-button or whatever to switch-out characters" games, here characters will switch constantly judging by the combo you're currently initiating.
Here's an example involving the ROD's: (bear in mind that this sample is like training, thus it is to be perceived that the opponent does little more than stand)
Michelle attacks the opponent thrice with paper swords. Combo'd in: Anita slides in and spirals into the opponent. Combo'd in: Michelle and Anita leave the screen as Maggie summons a paper wolf (or whatever) to attack the opponent. Combo'd in: Junior replaces Maggie, phasing through the opponent and elbowing them in the back. Then he shoots them with his handgun. (this is but one of many possibilities)
Since we're dealing with some pretty powerful people, bullets only serve to be as strong as beanbag bazookas.

---

(note: the additions seen here derived from my opinion rather than fact as fact would lead to 1000s upon 1000s of characters.)

Here's who I’ll be adding:

Blood & Myth
Fullmetal Alchemist: Edward/Alphonse Elric
Edward’s Alchemy comes off without a hitch due to his right arm. These automail bodyparts also make him an adept fighter.
Alphonse may take longer to perform alchemy, but come on . . . he’s a suit of armor. There’s no doubt one of his punches would do some major damage.
R.O.D the TV: Michelle/Anita/Maggie/Junior, Yomiko Readman/Nancy
Michelle the mistress of weaponry, Anita the dicer, Maggie the summoner, and phasing Junior (with his handgun) would make quite a lethal team, ain’t no way around it.
Yu-Yu Hakusho: Yusuke Urameshi
He’s getting right up there with Goku.
Storm Riders: Wind/Cloud/Frost
Poor Frost. He needs a second chance. Their names explain their powers but they're damned good fighters too.
InuYasha: Inuyasha/Koga, Miroku/Sango, Sesshomaru
Nothing better than a team-up between Inny and K.

Art of War
Rave Master: Haru Glory/Musica
Haru and Musica both have mutating weapons. Every attack thrown out would be different, allowing a switch between great speed and great power.
One Piece: Luffie/Zolo/Nami/Usopp/Sanji
Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl. Heheh. Zolo’s three swords give new meaning to triple threat. Usopp’s ability to attack from a distance and leave caltrops could definitely be useful. Sanji . . . he just looks cool when he’s kicking people around.
Rurouni Kenshin: Yahiko Miyojin/Sanosuke Sakara/Kenshin Himura/Aoshi Shinomori, Makoto Shinishio/Sojiro Seita
Blazing fury and lightning speed. “Beyond God-like speed,” to be more precise.
Justice League Unlimited: Green Lantern
“In darkest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight.” I love it.
Beast Wars: Transformers S3: Tigerhawk
Not only an expert fighter who can transform into a twin-gat wielding winged-tiger, this machine has paranormal powers as well. Lightning control to be specific.
X-Men: Jean/Rogue, Wanda/Quicksilver, Phoenix, Dark Phoenix
Jean packs the power, Rogue packs the punch. Wanda’s sorcery can stop even Jean’s powers, but I wonder if she can compete with Dark Pheonix.
Static Shock: Static/Shebang
Zap to Snap. This electric combo is sure to put a shock to your system.
Disgaea/Phantom Brave: Laharl/Ash, Etna/Prinny Squad

The Unorthodox
FLCL: Takkun w/Atomsk, Canti
Okay, I usually don’t like anime that seems really, really weird. But I’s drawn into it. When Canti devours Takkun, he becomes cannon capable. When Takkun is possessed by Atomsk, there ain’t no stopping him.
Orphen: the Scion of Sorcery: Orphen
Uh . . . I actually don’t know much about this guy. :meditate:
Big Trouble, Little China: The Lightning Storm
My favorite of the three storms was this lightning tosser. Come on.
Teen Titans: Raven/Robin
Shadows and a blur of fists. What more could you ask for?
Trigun: Vash the Stampede, Nicholas C. Wolfwood
Gun cannon angel wing thing. Come on. Artillery cross that’s “So full of mercy.” Come. On.
DOT hack: Kite, Skeith, Balmung/Marlo, Helba
Okay, realized into the world, Balmung and Marlo would seem pretty average apart. But their combined strength would make them capable of putting up a decent fight.
Star Ocean: TTEOT: Fayt Leingod, Cliff Fittir, Albel Nox
The power of destruction.
Final Fantasy VII: Cloud Strife w/added KH powers, Tifa Lockheart (AC style)
As if Omnislash wasn’t powerful enough, add Cloud’s darkness talents to the mix and you get Demon Cloud. Beebeep.
]Final Fantasy VIII: Squall Leonhart
Renzokuken, Rough Divide, Blasting Zone, Lionheart.
Final Fantasy IX: Trance Kuja, Trance Steiner w/Vivi.
Everyone is stronger in Trance. But only Steiner and Kuja look cool.
Kingdom Hearts 2: Sora/Drive, Axel
Without Drive, Sora’s might is only apparent by the story. (iow, you know he can win ‘cause he’s the main character) Drive Sora’s Dual Wielding is just awesome.
Shadow Hearts: Yuri Hyuga/Keith Valentine
May not be any harmonixing this time around. I think I’ll actually have Keith from SH and Yuri from SHII.
Tekken 5: Jin, Hwoarang
:love: Jin, :love: Hwoarang. Simple enough.
Devil May Cry: Dante
Really need to ask?
Lunar: Silver Star Story: Kyle
Okay, maybe not that powerful, but I thought he was cool.

Merciless
Mortal Kombat: Raiden
LIGHTNING!!!
Kingdom Hearts: Riku/Dark, Sephiroth
One cannot deny the superior powers of Riku. He may look disturbing wearing a tattered skirt, but he’ll kick your @$$. KH was the only place in which you could observe Sephy’s fighting style truly. Besides, he just so “R0kxzorZ.”
Star Wars: Darth Vader
“You don’t know the power of the Dark Side.” Oh yes I do. That’s why Darthy’s definitely in.
Soul Caliber II: Necrid, Charade, Firebeast
Necrid’s magical multicolored orbs can form any weapon . . . that’s useful. Charade (like Combot from Tekken) can mimic any fighting style. This time, it won’t be one fighting style per round though. I thought that fire thing needed a shot at being a PC.
Spawn: Spawn
Alright, so he was in SCII for the Xbox. Spawn has 100s of powers though. Exploitation is required.
Gungrave: Beyond the Grave
Necrolized Brandon Heat’s twin guns and that coffin of artillery. Why bother asking?

Kawaii Ryûkishi
06-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Jesus, calm down before you pass out.
FLCL: Takkun w/Animisc, KantiYou've made this mistake in at least two threads now. The robot is named Canti, and the Pirate King is named Atomsk.
DOT.hackThe "." is the "dot" in Dot Hack. The way you're typing it, it'd be pronounced, "Dot Dot Hack."

Lunar: Silver Star Story: Alex
Okay, maybe not that powerful, but I thought he was cool. Something funny, in the game, his girlfriend reacts to “You always skipped your classes, honeypie,” with “At least I went to school, you dumb son of a bitch.” WTF? PMS? She didn’t have to react like that. It would be easier to understand if she said, “you dumb bastard.” Being called a bastard is less harsh than being called a son of a bitch and it’s not like he really insulted her. Geez. Take some tranqs lady.First of all, you're talking about Kyle, not Alex. I don't even know how you could confuse them; Alex is the earnest young hero who becomes a Dragonmaster, and Kyle is the tactless womanizing brigand. Furthermore, Kyle's girlfriend Jessica never calls him a son of a bitch at all. The exchange goes like this.

JESSICA: I never heard a word about [the Fortress of Althena] when I was studying to be a priestess.
KYLE: Ha! That's because you always ditched class, honeypie!
JESSICA: At least I've set foot in a school, you dumb bastard!

Funny that you remembered he called her "honeypie" but you couldn't keep "dumb bastard" straight.

Mercen-X
06-18-2005, 09:03 PM
In regards to Lunar: It has been indeed a long while since I've played it. I could only remember the name's Alex and Nash and Luna (of course), but couldn't recall what anyone looked like other than that lazy drooling Kyle who's named just slipped my mind.
I'd never have made the statement if I hadn't heard it. I seriously wouldn't have cared if she said bastard, but I remember feeling very tightly wound by the dialogue and SOB is the only reason I could have for that. Maybe I had accidentally come across some pirated and raped version. I haven't seen it on a shelf since.

Also, please excuse the FLCL names, I've never seen them written before.

Erdrick Holmes
06-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Where can I get this game at?

Lindy
06-19-2005, 03:35 AM
Joel, you kinda missed a huge huge point, as always.

Erdrick Holmes
06-19-2005, 03:47 AM
I read the thread.

Mercen-X
06-28-2005, 10:01 PM
It'll hit stores in Japan at 5am ept July 18, 2023. If my info is by some mishap unreliable, my contact at Ubiko Natenichi CC will justly meet an untimely end. Signed sinsearlee, your own beloved Mercy, founder and CEO of Lighthouse Entertainment of America, Vville Branch, CA 98765. TWAJ, son.

I'm very selective but I'm open to ideas.
Does anyone have any suggestions for characters or gameplay mechanics?
Would anyone suggest a better way to categorize the characters I've already listed?