PDA

View Full Version : Making an RPG, need story ideas

Lainehart
06-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Hey there!
I'm working on an RPG and I need ideas for the story... I want it to have the classic RPG formula, but whacked out, if you know what I mean.
All I need is the very basic idea and I'll work on the rest from there... be as far out and wacky as possible - it's all good! And don't hold back on any ideas gameplay-wise that'll help your story idea work better.

Thanks in advance!

KentaRawr!
06-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Main Character: Kentarou...Cute 'lil kid. Age: 13.

One day somethin' bad happens. Now he must save the world!!!

My story stinks, huh? o_o

Lainehart
06-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Haha, well that's mainstream RPG anyways

Spammerman
06-18-2005, 04:19 PM
First person in party:Alex Age:12 helps main character.

KentaRawr!
06-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Maybe a young child shouldn't be the main character. Maybe him being some kind of Side-Character would be a better idea.

Kentarou's best friend, Alex, is killed right in-front of him, and before Kentarou is killed, you save him! w00t. He wants revenge, so he wants to join your Party. o_O You let him join, being the nice guy you are. And of course, this kid just happens to be really good with Magic. But he has to Recover, so while you defeat the group of Thieves/Monsters/Some kind of Group that's evil, He stays behind. But, Kentarou is Captured while you are killing Monsters! So, once you think everything is all Hunky-Dory, you get back to his house, and oh no! He's gone!

You decide to go into the Forest to look for him. Then you see the Thieves Leader holding Kentarou hostage. He asks for 1000 Ba (Ba would be the Currency in the game), and of course, you refuse, and you fight this guy. You win, rescue Kentarou, and even though you already helped him get Revenge, he still wants to join you. You let him. (Duh)

But, who is the main character? >_<

(Sorry to kill off your character, BloodHunter. It was the first thing I thought of. :p )

Lainehart
06-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Then everybody is smooshed by a giant, monty python-esque foot...

Sorry, I realise I'm wierd today :D

But wierd is good, I like wierd... gimme some wierd RPG ideas, I'm at a creative slump!

KentaRawr!
06-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Weird, you say? Hmm...

I can't think of anything except Happy Tree Friends.

Lainehart
06-18-2005, 04:56 PM
lolz I don't know about making a Happy Tree Friends RPG... although I assume it would have very, very violent battles and lots of NPC deaths :)

Fun...

ChaosCalibur
06-18-2005, 05:05 PM
You need fire breathing monkey ninjas, who are pirates.

KentaRawr!
06-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Yeah! The Monkeys will capture Kentarou! :D

Psychotic
06-18-2005, 05:43 PM
A group of ragtag adventurers with noble hearts and unclear goals battle an evil force which wants to destroy the world.

There you go. :)

KentaRawr!
06-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Ken: The Faces of Monkey

Thats the title.

Gau Dude
06-18-2005, 06:52 PM
HOMESTAR RUNNER RPG!!!

Dreddz
06-18-2005, 06:56 PM
You can do whatever you want
Just as long as there is someone called Gibbi in it !

Behold the Void
06-18-2005, 06:57 PM
A party of experienced adventurers is trying to protect their homeland from invading forces. However, as they interact with some of the other kingdoms, they realize that perhaps their kingdom isn't the best. The game is about how they discover differences in society and what they had thought to be clear cut "good and evil" is, in fact, not the case at all. Oh yes, by "experienced adventurers" I mean people at least around 28 years old and above.

KentaRawr!
06-18-2005, 06:59 PM

Make Gibbi the Monkey Master!

Dreddz
06-18-2005, 08:27 PM

Make Gibbi the Monkey Master!
:D

KoShiatar
06-18-2005, 08:44 PM
What about a main villain who at the beginning is in the party? Yeah, he/she becomes a loner and leaves for some kind of grudge (maybe over a love unrequited? a matter of honour? A betrayal?) and kills off the previous bad guy Kefka style. Yet as the story goes on you realize he/she had precise reasons to do so, and you don't know what to do because you recognize that, but you still have to fight him/her to save the world...

Spammerman
06-18-2005, 08:50 PM
What about a main villain who at the beginning is in the party? Yeah, he/she becomes a loner and leaves for some kind of grudge (maybe over a love unrequited? a matter of honour? A betrayal?) and kills off the previous bad guy Kefka style. Yet as the story goes on you realize he/she had precise reasons to do so, and you don't know what to do because you recognize that, but you still have to fight him/her to save the world...
her own party kills her/his own baby monkey buddy, when they were all drunk.THen she trains in ape-jitsu and tries killing them.

and C+C can they be baby mutant fire breathing monokeys who use bananas as swords shurikens and guns?

and instead of horses can there be ice puppies and wolves and ostriches and tigers and giraffes to ride?

Lindy
06-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Steal Baten Kaitos.

Make the player a spirit, instead of playing the main character, you just follow and "suggest" what he should do (Which still amounts to controlling all the characters, but whatever).

Madame Adequate
06-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Instead of having a single main character who has friends and allies, have a small number of characters (Three to five) who are ALWAYS in the party (Unless people die) and who are ALL treated as of equal importance and stuff. And have them all friends from the start or something similar. I'm sick of games where the sidelined playable characters are so much cooler than the main character (Zell/Selphie v Squall, Cid/Nanaki v Cloud, Lulu/Wakka v Tidus/Yuna, and so forth.).

Also, if people were to die, don't replace them with identical characters.

And give players more choices. If they want to pay a hostage ransom, let them. And then let them hunt down everyone the hostage taker cares about. That sort of thing.

Gnostic Yevon
06-18-2005, 10:47 PM
What about if the player or one of the side-characters was the cause of the Bad Guy's rise to power?

What if the hero or a side character was a drunk or a druggie? (you could even have "drunk" and "stoned" as status effects!)

Oh and you absolutely positively must have a Dragon to slay.

Here's a sprite-type image.

Black Mage
06-18-2005, 11:49 PM
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas.

Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president? (http://www.classicgaming.com/doubledragon/baddudes.jpg)

Story taken care of.

DarkItachi
06-19-2005, 01:04 AM
A monkey god and a rat god

KentaRawr!
06-19-2005, 01:20 AM

Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president? (http://www.classicgaming.com/doubledragon/baddudes.jpg)

Story taken care of.

Gah, I hate that game.

Madame Adequate
06-19-2005, 02:51 AM
Or!

Consider!

You are the bad guy. The thing starts with a typical 'everyone you know and love is brutally slaughtered in front of you' thing, but instead of vowing revenge and becoming a noble champion for justice, you become really mean and start hurting people for fun. And you have to take on the parties of good guys who come after you!

Spammerman
06-19-2005, 03:26 AM
A monkey god and a rat god
it should be a chocolate monkey god and vanilla rat king

Lindy
06-19-2005, 03:32 AM

Story taken care of.
Actually, it's...

President Ronnie has been kidnapped by Ninjas!

Are you a bad enough dude to rescue President Ronnie?

Minor change, but an important one.

Lainehart
06-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Well I think the H*R thing has been done already, by my best mate actually...
I'm liking the idea of the main villian being in the party to start off, or being the player themselves... I'll have a play around with that...

"With no friends by his side... well just no friends at all, Buttz left home to travel the world in search of someone to appreciate him. After many, many rejections and a few rotten tomatoes in the face - he become angered, and devised a plan that would win him some friends... he would go in search of the Legendary Armor of Cheese! Buttz wandered and battled for many months, but in the end he discovered that the Armor had already been found... so he set off to steal it. It was on display in a museum on the continent of Nevagohther. Unfortunately for Buttz, in his desperation for the Armor he failed to notice he'd set off multiple alarms on his way in and out of the museum... in the middle of the day...
Now, on the run from the law and without a clue as to where home is, Buttz will embark on the quest of his life... or maybe he'll get caught and killed... who knows...

Coming Soon - The Great Cheese Heist, Part One: Buttz Steals The Legendary Cheese Armor And Gets Caught So Now He Has To Run Away Before He's Captured

Or for short - The Great Cheese Heist: Cheesy Buttz

OK... I'm gonna go back to my psychiatrist... I need help :P

Spammerman
06-19-2005, 04:01 PM
can i be the main villian?PLZPLZPLZPLZ

Mr. FinalFantasy
11-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey if you are using RPG Maker 2003 like me some of these ideas may be difficult. But you may want to do what I did choose your favorite Final Fantasy game or any RPG game at that and take the story line and modify it or use it as a template. :twak: :trout:

I'm making one too and I could use some help as well and if you need too you can email me at otacon12354@yahoo.com. All ideas are welcome!!!

Don't double post, use the edit/delete button instead.

~Void

Empu-Dragon
11-16-2005, 11:09 PM
the main charecter is an old man of age 80 hes at the verge of dieing when he is needed to lead an army of the farm folk and the rich folk in his world with him the poor could easaly when but he ends up dieing so the sientests of his village try to bring him back to life however in the prosses the man ends up getting his soal traped in his mind apon reliving so he now has tofind a way out. but one thing is is that his mind is being torn apart by these creaturs called fragments witch he has to get rid of to gane back control of his bodey and his memory. along the way he meets his teamates with represent his defferent emotions like wisdom,strength,love and so on. you can add the plot twists and what not.

i worked along time on this story and the man is only 20 while hes trapped in his mind

im sorry for the dubble post but i have another idea wich i just feel like telling you please dont use it.

the story starts out that this woman goes to a church to pray to the gods when during the prara everyone is killed in the church even the woman. however apon deth she is sent to a sepret place then everyone else by a being called morgodis. here she can walk in the world of the living however she can only interact with things in the speret world apart from human sosiety. the only way you can act with humans is in there dreams and you have to do this many times to save the lives of all thous who died of unjust causes. you see in there world when things die they go to this kind of other world like heaven or hell but ones who die of murder or suesied or just of unjust causes are sent to this sort of world inbetween worlds where you are.

you and along with other mid-world spirts have to go and find a way to kill morgodis and reclaim your bodys so none may have to live in this unjust midworld again.

Don't double-post, use the edit/delete button instead.

~Void

Samuraid
11-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Wow, a double double post...followed by a completely offtopic piece of spam. :rolleyes2

Maybe not. ;)

If you do wish to create an RPG, make sure it's within your reach to complete it. Often times, creating an entire RPG (especially without help) involves much more than a single individual can handle.

YukiKiro
11-18-2005, 04:28 AM
i've been thinking of stories recently and i recently thought of one that you may find useful. i won't provide you with details but, the characters are all geneticly altered experiments of the government created for military use. they were all human but were genetically altered to have special abilities (this doesn't neccessaraly have to mean that they look any different) they all escaped or were reliesed and now the government is after them to kill them. slowly they all find eachother and band together to protect themselves. later on (half way through the story) they find out that the government isn't the one after them, and infact the government doesn't even aknowledge the fact that they exist. so now in order to not only protect themselves, but now their families, they have got to find who is putting the prices on their heads, and fast.

not bad for just one brainstorm. still has a bit of fine tuning that could be done but it has a solid plot base at least.

Gaiden
11-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Well, the way I see it, it could be really dark and disturbing or more traditional. You wanted weird, so I think I might try and give you a taste of weird.

The main character is continuously getting tricked and mind f---ed. All those s/he trusts, turn on him/her. As a result of all this deception, said character has a hard time trusting people and building a reliable party. Now I think you should throw a sanitarium into the mix. Something along the lines of the character being thrown in by his "best friend" and he has to try and get out, but it's even harder to trust people in the sanitarium. And so it goes on, without any clear goal in sight. Finally the character will have to make a decision about who his big enemy is.

If you're wondering where the dark and disturbed aspect is, I'd rather leave it up to you, because I don't know if I can say it on the Forum. Basically, have no limits. If you think it's too wrong, then it's right. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Markus. D
11-20-2005, 03:20 AM
A party of experienced adventurers is trying to protect their homeland from invading forces. However, as they interact with some of the other kingdoms, they realize that perhaps their kingdom isn't the best. The game is about how they discover differences in society and what they had thought to be clear cut "good and evil" is, in fact, not the case at all. Oh yes, by "experienced adventurers" I mean people at least around 28 years old and above.

ive seen that movie to :P

EPIC - MASTER OF COMBAT
11-20-2005, 06:11 AM
you don't have to snatch what people have saided but this is a little down to earth.. anyways iam makign a RPG myslef lol anyways here a good start off idea..

in the town of raganok a boy named kin has been living tought a never ending war between the sovighin rebelion of raganok and the deceset dawn army of ghosaka the war has leaded to many deaths and many weapons of destuction even people in the back ally say if the fightign don't stop the continent of wasaku will be termnation even the whole existent of mankind is on the edge at thses toublsume times but the 16 year old lives on tought this.. but one day..

as the rebelion has losted a major supply of ammonution the army has rescuted a massacre manchine called the sentincan cappable of destorying a city in seconds as it raises it's power a person come high jacks it and steals its power creating the end of the war but the beginning of the true war. as you evacute the town your girlfriend has to stay in the area and you get pushed in the boat off to a safe connectint and as the manchinaraga obilrates your town you feel as if something missing.. a losted love.. you shall have vengrene

Gaiden
11-21-2005, 04:00 AM
You know, after reading that last one I started thinking about what I really loved in RPG stories. I've got to say one of the stories I really enjoyed and found really powerful was FF6. The most powerful part in that was the world being destroyed completely and you having to start again from scratch. Why I thought of this was because in the last post, there were some big guns pulled out right at the beginning and not saved for later. It could work, I'm not saying it's bad, but just that one of my favorite stories pulled out big guns halfway through the game. Anyway, just a thought.

The Filecreator
11-24-2005, 01:17 PM
well....
if ya good in making dificult stuff,
why not make a thing like "fable" or "starwars, knigts of the old republik"?

so you start neutral with a nice dad and a bitching mom (srry if i cant use those words)
and at the beginning u can chose who dies!

kill the dad = become evil
kill the mom = become sort of evil because of bad childhood!

then go Fast Forward for like, 39 years or so...
then it is your task to destroy good or evil!
or both if you like xD

then u have made an awesomme game!!!