PDA

View Full Version : Animal communication

Rye
06-19-2005, 01:59 AM
I was watching a documentary on Animal Planet about how Animals can communicate through a form of telepathy. It was amazing and I'm a believer of this. One example amazed me about a parrot and his owner.

The parrot was an African Grey, the type of parrot that's smartest and most skilled in speech, and his vocabulary was amazing. He could actually speak English, not repeat it. Parrots don't repeat, as some people think, but my own parrot's speaking skills don't hold a candle to that parrot, and he can speak pretty well. He asks for cookies, and he means it, as after he gets a cookie, he will stop asking.

His owner showed him a video with Jane Goodall with chimpanzees. When Jane Goodall came to visit the parrot, he started saying something along the lines of "It's Jane! Jane got chimps? Chimps go oooh-ooooh-aaaah-aaah!" and starting to talk in a way to Jane about chimpanzees. He didn't know the word chimpanzee before hand, so they wondered if telepathy was what happened.

People wanted to try a small experiment on this parrot, and it was video taped. The parrot and the owner went into seperate rooms 55 feet away. The owner was given an envelope full of about 73 photos that she had never seen before and she was to stare at them for 2 minutes each.

It was absolutly amazing, as she stared at the first photo, a flower, the parrot started speaking about a camera and flowers. The next photo she looked at, a couple on the beach in a bathing suit started making the parrot say "Look at my naked body!" and then when she started at a photo of a couple hugging, he started saying "It's a hug! A hug!" It was so amazing.

Out of the 73 photos she saw, he correctly said what was happening in the photos 23 times. That's amazing that he got it right at all.

And you could tell the bird had a bond with the owner. It was like "Can I have a kiss" and she kissed the bird on the beak, then she asked it for a kiss and she was looking down on it and it said "Hurry up, I can't reach you!" and then it gave her a kiss on the cheek when she went down to his level. I was dying from the cuteness. It was amazing.

There's more that he said that were great, too.

Anyways, do you believe in animal communication through telepathy or other ways? Do you believe in animals being able to sense someone in danger, like on Animal Miracles on Animal Planet? Do you have example of this?

The Redneck
06-19-2005, 02:16 AM
My cat could say "Feed me", "pet me", "play with me", and "you suck", but I don't think it was telepathy.

Madame Adequate
06-19-2005, 02:48 AM
Animals can certainly sense things we can't - just look at the reactions of animals in the hours before the Tsunami in Asia last year - but I'm not sure I'm willing to commit entirely to believing in their telepathy.

This mainly stems from a supposition that telepathy is an incredibly advanced mental function.

Rye
06-19-2005, 02:50 AM
Animals can certainly sense things we can't - just look at the reactions of animals in the hours before the Tsunami in Asia last year - but I'm not sure I'm willing to commit entirely to believing in their telepathy.

This mainly stems from a supposition that telepathy is an incredibly advanced mental function.

Yeah, before disasters, they all go to high ground.

Madame Adequate
06-19-2005, 02:55 AM

Yeah, before disasters, they all go to high ground.

Even volcanos? 'Cause they could be pretty screwed if they sensed a volcano and scrambled up the nearest mountain...

Zante
06-19-2005, 07:53 AM
I dunno, the telephaty thing sounds kindna farfetchet. But then, some animals, like dolphins, are supposed to be very intelligent, so who knows.

boris no no
06-19-2005, 08:06 AM
my goldfish does look at me in a strange way...O__O

Blackmageboi
06-19-2005, 08:42 AM
if they were all my cat would ever say is "feed me" "i'm tired" "lavish atention upon me" "the dark scares me" "i don't like you"

Rini
06-19-2005, 06:56 PM
I do believe in animal telepathy, and I believe animals are very intelligent - however in a different way from what we humans understand with the term "intelligent". (I'm not going to explain this further because I lack the capacity of words to explain, sorry :/)

I've heard - and seen - about dogs and cats who know exactly when their owner's coming home from where ever, even when they're not told anything or no-one acts any differently, and even when it's not repetitious (like coming home from work everyday at 4 pm or something like that). It's so weird - some woman I know of has four cats, and they always come to meet her on the bus stop when she comes home - and not just from work, but from anywhere anytime.

And some cats/dogs can somehow feel if their owner's sick or handicapped.

Some dog kept putting his head over his owner's arm, in a specific place, over and over. When the man went to see the doctor for some other matter and he asked if he could get his arm checked, they discovered he had a tumor in the arm. After the surgery, when everything was clean and no trace of the tumor was found, the dog didn't put his head over the arm anymore.

There was also a cat, who knew his/her owner was deaf, so whenever he/she wanted to come inside, she jumped on to the window sill or went near the balcony window for the woman to see. And otherwise, one blind woman's cat always scratched the door when they wanted to go out or in.
Strange, isn't it? :)

Old Manus
06-19-2005, 07:35 PM
My pet penguin keeps telling me to hang myself. :cry:

Leeza
06-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Animals sense a lot of things that people don't. I don't know if it's telepathy though. The cat that lives in the old age home where I work always knows when one of the residents will be passing away and it will go to their room and just hang out there.

Old Manus
06-19-2005, 09:02 PM
That must really suck if you're the one who is going to die.

Kirobaito
06-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Absolutely. Animals are creatures that we as humans may never understand. They know things, and they connect to their owners so much that perhaps there is some sort of telepathy that goes on. I'm not really sure. My experiences are with dogs, but it's quite amazing how well Peanut understands my moods. Snapper, my sister's dog, doesn't really understand me at all and constantly annoys me by being hyper all the time. However, Peanut is MY dog, and she understands that I am her master above the other members of the family, and it's quite fun how well she knows me. ^^

Leeza
06-19-2005, 09:03 PM
That must really suck if you're the one who is going to die.
I don't think that the residents have actually caught on to this fact yet.

Meat Puppet
06-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Perhaps the cat isn't predicting death. Have you considered possible the fact that the cat may only go there to reap the old people of their souls?

Leeza
06-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Actually, yes. :cat:

Peegee
06-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Maybe the parrot was azn. That's probably why it's so smrat ^_^

Rye
06-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Maybe the parrot was azn. That's probably why it's so smrat ^_^

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/Ryechu/wwad2.jpg

xD

Peegee
06-20-2005, 03:25 AM
He looks like my friend Jon. Have fun with that.

SomethingBig
06-20-2005, 04:16 AM
Animals have extrasensory characteristics, but I wouldn't really go as far as to say that they can use telepathy. During that picture test, the parrot could have been randomly blurting out random nonsense(not saying it was, this is just one possibility), as it only succeeded 23 out of the 73 tries.