PDA

View Full Version : Yum yum, Barium

bennator
06-20-2005, 09:27 PM
I had to get all sorts of tests done today, and they made me drink Barium. Let me tell you about barium. It's white and looks lik a thin milkshake, good so far. Then you smell it, the smell is like decaying grapes. Then you drink it. It has the consitancy of chalky vomit, and about the same test. Then they make you drink 30 oz. of it while trying not to hurl. Then they turn you radioactive with x-rays. Then, for hours afterwords, you taste it when you burp. It's ddisgusting.

So, any of you have to drink barium and get turned all glowy?

DreamingOfDreams
06-20-2005, 09:29 PM
No, why were you having tests done?

Zeldy
06-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Ive had something like that, "Milk and Magnesia"?
It soothes tummy aches, but it tastes like paper :(

Jess
06-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm not completely sure if I've drunk Barium, but I've drunk something which tastes like what you described. Boy oh Boy, do I love medicine. :(

Maxico
06-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Yay barium meal.

Also that wasn't baruim. It was a compound of barium.

Dr.K
06-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Yay barium meal.

Just as well too :) If you ingested Barium, or a soluble compound of Barium, you'd die pretty quickly. It's the insolubility of some Barium compounds that allows all that funky X-ray shizzle to take place. I'd still be paranoid about drinking it though :(

Ste
06-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Yay barium meal.

Just as well too :) If you ingested Barium, or a soluble compound of Barium, you'd die pretty quickly. It's the insolubility of some Barium compounds that allows all that funky X-ray shizzle to take place. I'd still be paranoid about drinking it though :(

yeh bariums quite a nasty thing to make you drink ;)

wouldnt be all that happy about drinking it myself

(but would prefer it to the aspirin we made in chem :eyebrow: )

Resha
06-20-2005, 10:55 PM
I see Barium in Chemistry experiments. :eek: :(

Chaos
06-20-2005, 11:16 PM
That stuff is radioactive isnt it?

You will glow green. :D

Chaos

XxSephirothxX
06-20-2005, 11:18 PM
I've had to drink charcoal before. It was pretty bad. :(

eestlinc
06-20-2005, 11:49 PM
you drink barium to test for ulcers.

o_O
06-21-2005, 02:51 AM
I wouldn't drink it. They use barium in enemas. Well, barium sulfate, but hey, it still goes in your bum. :p

Cruise Control
06-21-2005, 02:53 AM
Barium tastes like chocolate milk!

Leeza
06-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Yes, I've had to drink it before. It's not very pleasant.

CloudDragon
06-21-2005, 06:45 AM
I know barium is used in making flares.

Devourment
06-21-2005, 09:25 AM
I've heard of it, but I've never had to drink it before.

bennator
06-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Just as well too If you ingested Barium, or a soluble compound of Barium, you'd die pretty quickly. It's the insolubility of some Barium compounds that allows all that funky X-ray shizzle to take place. I'd still be paranoid about drinking it though

I know that, geeze, but that's what the technicians refer to it is, so that's what I called it. Actually, it's barium sulfate with sodium sulfate inorder to keep as few barium ions from being absorbed as possible, but that's beside the point. Today I got to see it come out the other end which also wasn't pleasant. I'm getting all these test done to see (rule out hopefully) ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease...I get a colonoscopy tomorrow too (what fun, I know)

The Anarchy Angel
06-21-2005, 10:08 PM
I had to drink banana flavoured calpol as a child, and i didn't like bananas (still don't) and that made me hurl so bad...but this mythical "Barium" substance, quite curious...i probably had it fed to me at some point in a botched murder attempt.

-N-
06-21-2005, 11:33 PM
To answer an earlier question, radioactive barium can be made as a result of fission.