PDA

View Full Version : Materia - TOO good?

Peter_20
06-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I´ven been playing this game multiple times now, and I´ve started to think about this Materia System -
I actually think it´s a little TOO powerful at times.
I mean, here you´re able to build your characters insanily powerful, so that just about everything gets blown to smithereens without you even having to do anything at all, and even sometimes gain something out of it!
Seriously, not long ago I beat SEPHIROTH HIMSELF by just summoning two "Knights of Round" using the W-Summon command, and there are lots of moments similar to that one!
This is a combo example:

Ultima--Sneak Attack, Ultima--Quadra Magic, Ultima--MP Turbo, Ultima--HP Aborb
Ultima--MP Absorb, Ultima--Magic Counter, Ultima--Steal As Well, Phoenix--Final Attack

This is one of the most crazy combos I can think of, and it´s almost too much.
Sure, it DOES get very fun considering all your struggles to get there, but I still think you get a little too many Materia Slots.

Necronopticous
06-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Then beat the game without it, it's fun.

edczxcvbnm
06-21-2005, 06:35 PM
The game by design is to make it super easy on those who really grasp the system and a pain in the ass to those who ignore it. Make it through the game with out linking materia and coming up with combos and without level gaining your ass off.

I went for the low level challenge of ONLY boss fights. That is fucking tough at times. You end up relying almost 100% on items that you steal(never finish the fight ;)). Like most RPGs...you have to make the battle system hard as the game will just make it piss easy.

redxiiii
06-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Sorry to go off topic for a minute but where do you get the sneak attack materia??

Peter_20
06-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Sorry to go off topic for a minute but where do you get the sneak attack materia??

No worries here! :D

I think you get it at the Chocobo Races, at least I did.
Expect some tedium though, as you have to rely on chance to actually win it.

edczcvbnm, that sounds a lot like FF8. :D

Heh, lots of grinning smileys here! :D :D :D

DMKA
06-22-2005, 12:28 AM
If you think this about the materia system, you should try the sphere grid.

Serria
06-22-2005, 01:16 AM
Agreeing with DMKA... the materia system, IMO, isn't any easier than any other system from FF7 up. The Sphere grid made X easy, just being able to pick whatever ability you like without any downside, the spheres in IX let you concrete your characters with immunity to posion, sleep etc, very early in the game. Don't get me started on VIII and the junction system. Easy easy EASY.

You can always try beating Sephy (yes, I did just call him Sephy) without any materia, that makes it quite fun.

Khimbar2775
06-22-2005, 01:55 AM
Lots of ppl call him Sephy, i know i do. But if your complaining about the whole materia jazz being too easy....
Then beat the game without it, it's fun.

Squall of SeeD
06-22-2005, 02:55 AM
I can't see as how Materia-usage really allows for more power than the Sphere Grid or Junctioning. Abuse of either can result in stats of 255.

As far as it goes, though, beating Safer Sephiroth really isn't all that difficult.

Rengori
06-22-2005, 03:17 AM
If you think about, almost any boss will be killed after two KOTRs. Just stop relying on KOTR to win all the battles. It's more fun, like Necronopticous said. And why do you like Ultima so much? I never found all that useful. And yes, the Sphere grid is a pain in the ass at times. No, all the time for me.

Serria
06-22-2005, 03:24 AM
I couldn't stand the Sphere Grid. I understand the motives behind it, letting you "create the characters how you want them", but it was just a pain. I was too lazy to check it after every battle when I first played X, I let the spherel levels stock up to fifteen or so before I bothered. Having to do everything manually sucks. The fact that I didn't have actual levels made me uncomfortable too.

Did I mention I can't stand the Sphere grid?

Yeah, and KOTR is uberly fun the first... five times. Then it's overkill, and feels so cheap to use it. When I first got it, I went Summon-happy. (I went to where the Midgar Zoloms are and tried to kill them all because they always annoyed me. But then I realized that they kept coming back. And then I realized that KOTR was cheap.)

Khimbar2775
06-22-2005, 03:44 AM
hehe, yes, when i first got KOTR i thought it was the $#!^ also, then i realized "hey, im hitting the enemy 13 times for 8000 damage in one turn. hmmmmmm, isnt that cheap??? why yes it is!" then i only use it for the Proud lod fight if i have less than 1500 hp and only 250 mp

-N-
06-22-2005, 05:42 AM
It's just another system. Once you learn the tricks of the system, of course it's easy. But until you do, it can provide a fair challenge. The first time I beat the game, I was at level 51 and my best summon was Neo Bahamut. Needless to say, the final battle was very frustrating.

Rengori
06-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Ues, beating Safer without anything stronger than Neo Bahamut is hard. Mainly because he does have a lot of HP. When you can hit him 26 times for up 9999 damage, that's a total of 259,974 damage you could get. Hell, the most I do with Bahamut ZERO is 8000 and that's because he had MP turbo on him. I never bother to get KOTR when I play again because it's too cheap. Im done.

edczxcvbnm
06-22-2005, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=redxiiii]edczcvbnm, that sounds a lot like FF8.

What sounds like FF8? FFVIII is even more unbalanced. FFX is yet worse than FFVIII even is.

Cruise Control
06-22-2005, 04:19 PM
I don't think it's too good, but I'm horrible with it and am only on the first disc on my second playthrough
*Aeris dies* *Points at TV and laughs*

I don't even know what addewd effect and elemental do! I like all though, especially coupled with regen, esuna, and bio

silverpigeon97
06-22-2005, 05:18 PM
u dont even need materia, the most damage u can do is 9999, and dblow with an ultimate weapon can do that every time

Khimbar2775
06-22-2005, 05:55 PM
or just an ultimate weapon can do that 4 times with 4x cut :D