PDA

View Full Version : Hoax Paypal Email?

Xander
06-22-2005, 05:47 PM
I got this email from Paypal.

I clicked the link but before it processed (I think), I closed it, wondering if this could be some kind of scam. The spelling in the mail is very..dodgy. The rest I'm not sure about.... what do you think? Attached is a screenshot of the email.

If it is a scam I wonder if it's too late since I did click the link..even though nothing had a chance to load really.. =/

Edit - this is the URL the page went to, I found it from history.. if that helps. (probably best not to actually click it xD)

http://da189.easily.co.uk/~admin24/Securecgi

Shoeberto
06-22-2005, 06:10 PM
I'd say that's a phishing scam if I ever saw one. The best way to check is to look at the page's SSL certificate before logging in. If there isn't a little lock in your status bar, then run. If there is, double-click on it and see who it's signed by. Make sure it's owned by whoever's asking for your info.

If you did follow through with it, I'd recommend closing the paypal account you used.

Endless
06-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Just look at the grammar and spelling errors. I mean, they didn't even bother making it sound real.
I hope you didn't actually enter your account name+password.

Xander
06-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Well when I clicked it, I kinda scanned through it sorta believing it instantly, which is why I didn't notice the spelling errors at first glance. But nah, the page didn't even load anything so I didn't see it. So it should be ok.

theundeadhero
06-22-2005, 08:35 PM
If you have a Yahoo account also be aware of getting emails in your bulk folder from "Yahoo". I got three of them. They were saying things like I broke some kind of Yahoo policy, and then that I had to do something or that my webspace would be taken away, and then one saying it was taken away. I don't know if they were all gotten at the same time or not becuase I genreally don't checkmy bulk email.