PDA

View Full Version : Grandia Extreme

Vengence
06-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I saw that this game came out a while ago but I never saw it at the stores and it didn't seem to receive much popularity...I was just wondering if anyone's played it and if they liked it? I read some reviews and they were all bad. I heard it had the same elements and battle style as Grandia II did but the game itself was worse overall...

Ouch!
06-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Grandia Extreme was a horrible, horrible game. It lacked plot and there were really no redeeming qualities that made it worth playing. I got through two dungeons before I couldn't bring myself to play it anymore.

The whole idea of having one city and heading to four other points on the map was extremely lame. It just bothered me that there was no traveling in-between tying the world together.

Lord Chainsaw
06-25-2005, 07:13 AM
I can't understand why it wasn't well received. It's not your epic RPG, it's what we in the biz call a dungeon crawler, so there's going to be very little npc interaction, very little plot, and a whole lot of dungeon crawling. And for a dungeon crawler, it's a pretty good game.

This is the type of game in which the dungeons are randomly generated and reset every time you enter. This is the type of game where you replay dungeons and bosses for better items and equipment. This is the type of game where you'll have to go online and research what enemy drops what, then go farm that particular enemy until it drops or you steal a kickass item that you want. If that doesn't sound like your idea of fun, then this game is not for you.

There's very little plot, and of what plot there is, sucks. But plot isn't this game's strong point. The gameplay is the defining aspect of this particular RPG.

It has some pretty good music, and decent voice acting. One of the villains is voiced by Mark Hamill, and he does a damn good job. There's an optional dungeon with 100 floors, and while there is no superboss at the end of that, there is another optional dungeon with a level 200 boss at the end. He's tough, too. I don't know what the max level is, so you can pretty much grind to your heart's content. This game is a great way to spend 70-80 hours if you don't plan on doing anything else.