PDA

View Full Version : evil bastards

silverpigeon97
06-23-2005, 06:27 PM
according to new science stuff, violent videogames actually alter you, suppresing emotions under stressfull conditions, turning u into an cold, evil bastard. Has this just happened to me, cus i used to be a lot friendlier than i am now

Spammerman
06-23-2005, 06:33 PM
scientists saying games influence kids isn't always true.

1] Im wierd without playin videogames.

2}Games actually make me happy and war or fighting games let me exeret my anger and be peaceful.

3}If games influenced kids, we'd b ruynnin around darek rooms, listenin to techno and eatin magic pills.

Chris
06-23-2005, 06:34 PM
I eat peanutbutter chicken. :spin:

Spammerman
06-23-2005, 06:40 PM
I eat peanutbutter, manyonaise,chocolate, and pickle sandwiches.

Chris
06-23-2005, 06:50 PM
I eat peanutbutter, manyonaise,chocolate, and pickle sandwiches.
O_o!

Hawkeye
06-23-2005, 06:52 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/04/60minutes/main678261.shtml

Dr.K
06-23-2005, 06:53 PM
I knew those games of Virtual Monopoly would turn me into a tyrant in the end :(

Destai
06-23-2005, 06:56 PM
I dont care. Im pretty sure the effects are extremely subtle and miniscule.

Shoeberto
06-23-2005, 06:59 PM
BS
BS
BS
BS
BS
BS
BS
BS
BS
BS
BS
Sorry. I think it's stupid stupid stupid. People who make unfounded claims like this should be drug out into the street and shot. OH NOES I'M VIOLENT IS IT BECAUSE OF VIDEO GAMES?!

Seriously. If a kid's totally bat/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif crazy enough to go on a killing spree, I don't think it makes a difference if he plays a violent game or not. They're making broad, sweeping generalizations and not taking into consideration background or previous signs of mental problems.

Dreddz
06-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Its all rubbish too me
*plays manhunt*
*goes out with big knife*

Rye
06-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Hsu said how I feel.

I hate when people blame how they act on music and video games. It's like when those kids from Columbine blamed their actions on Marilyn Manson. I don't listen to him, but god, that's stupid.

Yamaneko
06-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Everything has an effect on you. Why should video games be exempt? You guys are only defending video games because you enjoy them. You defend things you like. Now what if I said deep religious study alters your state of mind? OH YEAH, THAT'S TRUE! The point is video games do alter you as a person, most of the time not the extent that you'll go out and commit crimes, but they do alter you.

Psychotic
06-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Well, if "new science stuff" says so, then it's gotta be true!

Alive-Cat
06-23-2005, 09:31 PM
All this "Video games alter you" is a smoke screen. It's NOT playing them that alters you!

XxSephirothxX
06-23-2005, 09:32 PM
I think fans of videogames do often defend them too blindly. I don't believe it's possible to play a game like Grand Theft Auto or Manhunt or Doom and not be affected. I think it's totally bull when people blame their actions on video games, but someone who already has a tendency towards violence could be swayed, maybe just to small extent, by violence in the media.

Sarkis
06-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Please there just looking for an excuse to blame there actions on something else. And besides meny scientists say gameing is good for you FPS's in perticuler enhance your awareness and eye hand skills.

Video games will not make you evil now if you excuse me I have helpless masses to subjagate. *Anoying evil laugh*

Reign
06-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Games are there just to do stuff that you wouldn't be able to do. It's all just fantasy so it's a load of crap buying a game, playing it, and walking outside the next day smacking someone over the head with a baseball bat. Games can't make people do that unless they watch a crap-load of tv. (*Completes FFX, runs outside, comes up to the next small kid he sees, Mega Flare :smash: *)

DK
06-23-2005, 09:43 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/1999/19991213l.jpg

Shoeberto
06-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Everything has an effect on you. Why should video games be exempt? You guys are only defending video games because you enjoy them. You defend things you like. Now what if I said deep religious study alters your state of mind? OH YEAH, THAT'S TRUE! The point is video games do alter you as a person, most of the time not the extent that you'll go out and commit crimes, but they do alter you.
I'm angry because the media and censorship groups use this as a scapegoat rather than throwing things like mental health and family history in there. Yes, they do have an effect on you. I don't think that effect is great enough to justifie blaming everything on violent video games when a kid goes on a shooting spree.

Ravenmorghane
06-23-2005, 11:01 PM
i play video games and im perfectly fine *twitches*

seriously though, im one of the most pacifistic people in the world, I really dont believe in violence sorting out disagreements because I dont think that being strong makes a person 'right' (having been a pathetically physically weak girl all my life)

However, theres nothing more fun than kicking butt with a big gun, or playing GTA vice city and lopping paramedics' heads off with a samourai sword. I rest my case.

Madame Adequate
06-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Hsu said how I feel.

I hate when people blame how they act on music and video games. It's like when those kids from Columbine blamed their actions on Marilyn Manson. I don't listen to him, but god, that's stupid.

Dylan and Klebold never tried to blame Manson (Or DooM), for that matter. It was picked up on by the press who, as ever, like their popular scapegoats. In fact, it is rumored they both disparaged Manson for being too mainstream.

"You know, not every kid that plays a violent video game is gonna turn to violence. And that's because they don't have all of those other risk factors going on," says Walsh. "It's a combination of risk factors, which come together in a tragic outcome." (From that CBS link, said by one David Walsh.)

Well yeah. Not every Muslim is going to pick up a knife and try hijacking a plane. Not every Christian is going to mount a crusade or three. But the risk factors are there!

SomethingBig
06-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Violent video-games do have effects on children. Of course if a child thinks it's cool to kill people in a simulated environment, then it must be kickin' rad to shoot a person in real life. I don't blame the video-games, though, but the idiot parents that buy them the games. A good parent should know what their kids are and aren't capable of understanding.

Destai
06-23-2005, 11:48 PM
If a person goes on a killing spree its not because they played violent games as a child. Theres a bigger problem that hasnt been addressed and violent video games are just a nice excuse to have like Marilyn Manson and the columbine high incident.

SomethingBig
06-23-2005, 11:50 PM
The question wasn't whether or not violent video-games would send you on a rampage, but whether or not they alter your way of thinking. Giving a child GTA for Christmas isn't a sure-fire way of turning him into a murderer, but it sure as heck will change the way he acts and thinks in some ways.

Madame Adequate
06-23-2005, 11:53 PM
The question wasn't whether or not violent video-games would send you on a rampage, but whether or not they alter your way of thinking. Giving a child GTA for Christmas isn't a sure-fire way of turning him into a murderer, but it sure as heck will change the way he acts and thinks in some ways.

Well sure, if you don't teach your kid how to think critically and be rational, you're going to have problems if he reads Roald freaking Dahl.

SomethingBig
06-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Or you could just not buy little Tommy Resident Evil 4 for Christmas.

Yuffie514
06-24-2005, 12:10 AM
i never killed someone after playing Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven. i like to steal possessions, not lives > Yuff, you!

however, a scientific side of me found these discoveries emerged now after playing T3 for 2 years and a half:

1. i was normal. but my temper can be now be measured by inches.
2. in T3, innocent civilians make me laugh.
3. satisfied when? passing words of a T3 samurai.

Triple T
06-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Totally wrong! ^__~ I mean, did Hitler play Grand Theft Auto? I don't think so. :greenie:

Hsu said how I feel.

Well, I believe in music since the subliminal messages and all. But most of the time if here are, I'm sure the Band will go to jail if it's a violent message and everyone will be told. :D

Kamiko
06-24-2005, 12:22 AM
I agree. Blaming your feelings and actions on objects you choose to use is ridiculous. Maybe if it's a situation in your life it would be understandable but it's silly to blame your problems on toys.

Miriel
06-24-2005, 12:56 AM
People who claim that video games don't have some sort of impact on the way you think and behave are just being naive. That impact might be miniscule, but the influence is still there. Everything is an influence.

Does violence in video games lead to violence in real life? I say a big fat no to that question. Where we are in terms of youth violence is similar to where were were 40 years ago before we even had violent video games. In the 1950s comic books were viewed with the same suspicion that video games are viewed with today. It's all an attempt to try and place the blame on some third party instead of people taking responsibility for teaching kids not to stab each other in the face.

People should be more concerned about things like domestic violence influencing the way kids behave than worrying about video games.

unknown88
06-24-2005, 01:42 AM
That means water is now evil because I can drown people with it!

I much rather be distorted and happy with my games than be bored and not have them at all.

Sweet Beloved
06-24-2005, 02:59 AM
People nowadays think everything is violent.
I heard on the news that two twelve year old kids from somewhere in my state killed thier best friends and blamed it on the game, Grand Theft Auto.
I like that game...It helps relieve my anger when i'm pissed at someone. Anyway, I think it depends on how young the person playing is..(Let's say, 9 or younger) But other than that, I think people are overreacting.

Shlup
06-24-2005, 03:08 AM
There probably some small amount of truth to it. As usual, I agree with Miriel. xD

Spammerman
06-24-2005, 03:23 AM
Please there just looking for an excuse to blame there actions on something else. And besides meny scientists say gameing is good for you FPS's in perticuler enhance your awareness and eye hand skills.
I read something like that in a school magazine, I think its because ppl have to do the right thing at the right time, Like in war and driving games, we have to aim or predict stuff.

KoShiatar
06-24-2005, 11:59 AM
I think it depends on how weak your mind is to start with. If it is, then not only videogames, but pretty much any kind of thing that leaves other people unaffected - even the most innocent - might have bad effects on you. But that depends on other things, such as how old you are, which kind of environment you live in, the education you've received, the traumatic experiences you had, and such. There never is one only thing to blame.

Swordicanus
06-29-2005, 02:27 PM
This assuption is heard every year and to me it's just people simply trying to pin the blame on something I mean if games are violent what about films if thats the case people who have seen Scarface etc should be raging killers..........God i hate them do-gooders who appear on your T.v screen saying ooooooooo Grand Theft Auto has you stealing cars killing etc.........is that not why there is an 18 cert on them? by the way age restiction rules on games are'nt harsh enough and the reason for that........making money plain and simple......................it's just people blaming something else instead of admiting that they are a psycho

Raistlin
06-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Seriously. If a kid's totally bat/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif crazy enough to go on a killing spree, I don't think it makes a difference if he plays a violent game or not. They're making broad, sweeping generalizations and not taking into consideration background or previous signs of mental problems.
Exactly. This is a case of "hmm...this case of intelligent kids have big feet. Therefore, everybody with big feet must be intelligent!" It implies causation, which any first-week statistics student(and so should most people with an ounce of common-sense) would know is a big "no-no."

It's <i>much</i> more reasonable to assume that the type of kids who go on mass-killing sprees would simply be more drawn to violent games.

silverpigeon97
06-29-2005, 06:24 PM
so has this happened to any1 else or just me?