PDA

View Full Version : Modem random disconnects

Lionx
06-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Ok i dont know what happened but it started happening for no reason all of a sudden.

My modem will ping out/disconnect/whatever...after a certain period of time. This is extremely annoying when you are playing FFXI and then during a critical moment your Recieve goes to a flat 0....i cannot also browse the web.

When that happens one of two things happen...usually before this happens the modem might time out and then try to refresh itself, and i have to juggle its power cord/reset the modem to get it working. But it usually works for at least a few days on end so its not a bother. Now its every 20-1hour it disconnects. and instead of it with all 5 (4 green, two of em should blink and the orange one should all light up if it times out normally) lights going on at the same time and the modem trying to refresh itself..the modem will still have the 4 green lights, however the blinking stops or goes slower than normal(note: the modem does not try to refresh itself). Then i would d/c out of everything(those on my Instant Messengers can see me logging in and out again and again).

So i have to ask...whats causing this? It appeared out of nowhere..=/ Is it a modem problem? ISP problem? Why would(if it was) an ISP keep disconnecting me like this?

Side note: My friend who quit FFXI due to some kind of crashing problem. He would log on FFXI, then would sign out/disconnect a few minutes after playing. Now on AIM he would have similar problems(or it seems that way with his rampant sigining off and on). I just wonder if its the same thing...help? =/

Rye
06-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah, my modem does that too sometimes. Also, when I turn on my computer, I have to turn my modem on and off a few times before it even works. I kinda put up with it though, because if I complain, my really dumb father will try to fix it, and he'll end up killing the computer instead. xD

Samuraid
06-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Is it a dialup or broadband modem?

Lionx
06-25-2005, 12:20 AM
Ahh sorry..its a Cable modem for Comcast Cable..RCA(crap brand i know but thats what they gave us).

-N-
06-25-2005, 12:40 AM
It could be that the cables running to your house from your cable box outside could be frayed, beat up, or exposed due to weather and wear/tear. The blinking lights usually mean your modem is trying to establish a link with your ISP but can't. So if it's not a connection in your house, it could be connections outside, or it could be a bad cable itself. Cross-check with your TV - although they run on different frequencies, if you see less clear signal in your TV, you know that it's a problem outside.

Lionx
06-25-2005, 02:13 AM
I am one of the few(and cheap) people that dont feel paying for Cable TV is worth it...>_> Not that its bad but i just dont feel the cost is worth it is all..so i cannot use that method..is there another way?

The modem usually blinks when its working, when its NOT blinking then its messed...if it is actually frayed wires how can i fix ti? Do i ring someone up?

Samuraid
06-25-2005, 02:34 AM
It would be best to contact your internet provider (in this case, your cable company) and explain the problem. It could be that they are servicing the cable lines which could be disrupting your internet and causing the modem to lose connection.

It could also be the modem itself or the cable lines coming into the house. In that case, if the problem is serious enough, they can probably send you a replacement modem or verify that the cable lines to the house are operating correctly. You will probably have to speak with tech support first however and explain the problem.