PDA

View Full Version : Ps2's are programmed to break???

Alive-Cat
06-24-2005, 09:39 PM
I've been asking around and almost every one I know's Ps2 is broke. So I've got this Suspicion that Sony send out some kind of electric pulse that triggers something inside the Ps2's which makes most of them brake, or become faulty. And it always happens just before the new one comes out...

Psychotic
06-24-2005, 09:42 PM
My PS2 is about 3-4 years old, and is still going strong.

Lenna
06-24-2005, 09:43 PM
That would be rather stupid, as Sony could lose alot of money from it, many people have insurance covers on things such as brand new playstations, and it can last up to 3 years guarantee. If they did this, many of these people would complain and the insurance would pay up. Therefore Sony wouldn't really get much money from it. And I can admit, that my ps2 doesn't work well, but this is only with PSX games, not PS2 games, ps2 games work perfectly, where as the psx games struggle. I have no idea why this is but I can say that it's probably something to do with the lense unable to cope.

Alive-Cat
06-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Yeah, well not everyone's brakes. But about 51% of people's brakes, just enough so People who wouldn't normaly be inclined to buy a new one straight away will.

Allright!! I admit!! I had nothing to post!! It's lame!! But, a lot of Ps2's break. But you're right...

Old Manus
06-24-2005, 10:01 PM
I personally have gone through 3 PS2s since 2002. One of which is the new slimline one.

Rye
06-24-2005, 10:09 PM

Craig
06-24-2005, 10:15 PM
My Ps2 broke. So I bought a Slimline.

Erdrick Holmes
06-24-2005, 10:26 PM
All PS2's break eventually. That's also another reason why Sony sucks.

Spammerman
06-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Mine is starting to break, or I just take bad care of it. I usually hit it once or twice to get it wrking. THen I apologize and it wrks.

NM
06-24-2005, 10:37 PM
My PS2 is from the first batch that came into Europe in 2000 and it still works fine.

Rye
06-24-2005, 11:06 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/Ryechu/holdhands.gif

:(

Shoden
06-24-2005, 11:12 PM
it's because of the PS2's laser thats the only terrible thing about it. it's so faulty

Rye
06-24-2005, 11:14 PM

:(

Nuh uh, they all just want to be friends. ;______;

SomethingBig
06-24-2005, 11:42 PM
The first batch of PS2's(the ones produced the 6 months after it was released) had faulty optical lasers, which weren't powerful enough to read certain discs, so Sony had to recall them to fix that problem. Old and new PS2s also have slightly different hardware. If you actually open them up, you'll notice the changes. If your friend still experiences problems, then have him call the company and ask for a repair. They'll do it for free.

Cless
06-24-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm on my second PS2 since 2002 and my friend had to get the laser repaired. Are they actually designed to break at a certain point? Well, I don't think so, though there is this thing called planned obsolescence...

Dreddz
06-24-2005, 11:57 PM
im on my 3rd PS2, there has always been the same problem, it says disc read error, and makes clicking sounds when playing the disc, my 3rd one is starting to break again, this time im going to phone up sony demanding a free one as its not fair

-N-
06-24-2005, 11:58 PM

:(<3 :D

Destai
06-25-2005, 12:04 AM

Shoden
06-25-2005, 12:07 AM
my PS2 is chipped so i cannot get it repaired easily and legally i think

it's the laser it's it's second one and it doesn't read GTA san andreas at all anymore but it plays other games fine PSX games are great

Destai
06-25-2005, 12:08 AM
All PS2's break eventually. That's also another reason why Sony sucks.What are you talking about? Sony is a great company and so is just about all of there software. Microsofts the company that takes shortcuts and sly deals.

Rostum
06-25-2005, 12:20 AM
Yeah, well not everyone's brakes. But about 51% of people's brakes, just enough so People who wouldn't normaly be inclined to buy a new one straight away will.

Allright!! I admit!! I had nothing to post!! It's lame!! But, a lot of Ps2's break. But you're right...

Where the hell do you get that figure from? By just hearing about other peoples PS2's breaking? Do you realise how many people would have bought a PS2 compared to how many peoples PS2's broke that you've 'heard' about?

I've had my PS2 since FFX came out, so that's what... 4 years? Still works fantastic.

Rye
06-25-2005, 12:22 AM

:(<3 :D

I'm glad someone likes it! xD

Erdrick Holmes
06-25-2005, 12:24 AM

Xbox: Ok, we got him
Gamecube: Punch him in the stomach before we take him in.

Shoeberto
06-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Yes, Joel, you sure do dislike Sony. Glad we've cleared that up.

TasteyPies
06-25-2005, 12:37 AM

Battousai62
06-25-2005, 12:38 AM
My PS2 broke also, piece of crap. I sent i to be repaired and told them I was buying a Xbox.

TheAbominatrix
06-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Yep, mine still works just fine. It has some problems reading PSX discs... and I got it for my 19th birthday, and given that it'll be my 22nd birthday on Sunday, I have no problem with it.

Then again, I do make sure to take excellent care of my game systems, since I dont ever have money to replace them, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'd still have a very old, excellent condition SNES if my mom's boyfriend's kids hadnt thrown it on the ground.

Slothy
06-25-2005, 01:22 AM
My PS2 still works perfectly. When did I get it you ask? I picked it up at launch. I'm not convinced that those who have PS2's break multiple times are taking very good care of them (although I'm sure some are and just have bad luck). And as far as saying Sony sucks because all PS2's will eventually break; all console's will eventually break. It doesn't matter who makes them. So I guess Nintendo, Microsoft, Sega, and everyone else to ever make a console sucks. Good to know. I guess I won't waste my money on the the next gen systems since the companies making them all suck.

MecaKane
06-25-2005, 02:05 AM
im on my 3rd PS2, there has always been the same problem, it says disc read error, and makes clicking sounds when playing the disc, my 3rd one is starting to break again, this time im going to phone up sony demanding a free one as its not fair
Same thing happened to mine.
I took it in to get repaired, not at a Sony store. :rolleyes2
$50, Canadian, works perfectly fine now. Shop around, and don't let your PS2 get so dusty, that's what they said was wrong with mine.

And this whole thread issome of the stupidest posts I've ever read. Great job, guys.

krissy
06-25-2005, 02:12 AM
had my psx for 8+ years
works great

Madame Adequate
06-25-2005, 02:28 AM
I'm on my second PS2, but there was nothing wrong with my first one. I just wanted an NTSC machine instead. I've not had any trouble with either of them - but my X-Box appears to be falling apart, because it gets harder to play on a weekly basis.

I do know some people who've had trouble with their PS2s, like my girlfriend, but that's probably more because her moron stepdad tried to fix it himself instead of sending it off anywhere for, you know, fixing and the like.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-25-2005, 03:46 AM
I'm deleting all the spam here. I highly advise those who have been spamming to not do it again. Stay on topic.

Lionx
06-25-2005, 04:27 AM
Sony does have a higher fail rate in their products than most other game companies. The only thing that keeps it going is that the games are appealing to a larger playerbase. As for their quality..some do last for a long time, however i known friends that break theirs in a matter of months or a year or two...and it might not be their fault as well. NES still works though <3

YukiKiro
06-25-2005, 05:35 AM
the ps2 is a faulty piece indeed. especially now since it has the new one without the hd compatibility. they know they have a good thing going though with their game library though. the newer ones are made beter, now coming with 2 year warrentees instead of 90 days.

Lenna
06-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Dust is a very common problem with things breaking, my computer broke after an over load of dust in the CPU ;o, and if dust gets into any console it will damage "something". So yes all consoles will break at sometime, even if you're taking good care of it. My ps2 has the same problem as Ashley's it has problems reading PSX discs, so now I've just put all my PSX games on my pc and I'm playing them on an emulator. just perfectly. :) The ps2 is for my ps2 games only now.

Chzn8r
06-25-2005, 08:41 PM
My PS2 still works perfectly. When did I get it you ask? I picked it up at launch. I'm not convinced that those who have PS2's break multiple times are taking very good care of them (although I'm sure some are and just have bad luck). And as far as saying Sony sucks because all PS2's will eventually break; all console's will eventually break. It doesn't matter who makes them. So I guess Nintendo, Microsoft, Sega, and everyone else to ever make a console sucks. Good to know. I guess I won't waste my money on the the next gen systems since the companies making them all suck.

The lifespan if the SNES, N64, and Gamecube are each much much longer than the average PS2 with it's DREs. How many people do you know who went through 3 or more of those because they broke without reason? Ok, but you can hear testimonies from hundreds of people on their PS2s breaking and either getting one on warranty or it being too late and having to buy a brand new one.

Sony may have sold 90 million PS2s, but if 10% of that isn't resales from broken ones... I'd be amazed.

Old Manus
06-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Dust is a very common problem with things breaking, my computer broke after an over load of dust in the CPU ;o, and if dust gets into any console it will damage "something". So yes all consoles will break at sometime, even if you're taking good care of it. My ps2 has the same problem as Ashley's it has problems reading PSX discs, so now I've just put all my PSX games on my pc and I'm playing them on an emulator. just perfectly. :) The ps2 is for my ps2 games only now.

*puts PS2 in vacuum*

Cloud No.9
06-25-2005, 11:06 PM
the problem with the ps2 and that annoying clicky noise and the blue discs is the laser. it eventually get mis-aligned. you can re-align manually. but in the end it gets beyond repair.

DJZen
06-26-2005, 05:09 AM
The clerks at my local game store have been absolutely LIVID with Sony lately. Anyone who comes in to buy a PSP gets a good long rant about how it's a waste of money. I can't dig up any statistics on the PStwo (slim model), but when the STORE CLERKS are telling you not to buy it, there's a good chance that the system has a slightly high defective rate...

I <3 all my Nintendo consoles :D

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-26-2005, 05:16 AM
Nintendo consoles seem to have a pretty good durability to them. Sony consoles, not so much.

SomethingBig
06-26-2005, 05:36 AM
The first batch of PS2's(the ones produced the 6 months after it was released) had faulty optical lasers, which weren't powerful enough to read certain discs, so Sony had to recall them to fix that problem. Old and new PS2s also have slightly different hardware. If you actually open them up, you'll notice the changes. If your friend still experiences problems, then have him call the company and ask for a repair. They'll do it for free.

DMKA
06-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Nintendo consoles seem to have a pretty good durability to them. Sony consoles, not so much.
Really? From what I've seen it's the opposite. My PS1 has been through hell and back and works like the day I got it. My friend had an N64 not nearly as old as my PS1 and he babied it to death and it just broke on him.

I think they're all pretty well built but it really depends on who owns them.

Lionx
06-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Mmm i think statistically Nintendo does have better software and hardware made with many horror stories like things getting burned and still working for Nintendo...for Sony i hear things like they mysteriously stop working or somehting like that...

Old Manus
06-26-2005, 10:07 AM
It depends on the console you get. I guess I was just unlucky 3 times.

RSL
06-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Yeah, Nintendo stuff is more durable. My NES still works pretty good!

I've owned two PS1s and two PS2s. The playstation just stopped reading discs one day. The Playstation 2 started getting the disc read error more and more. The last straw on that one is when I bought Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and it wasn't able to keep up with my driving. I'd leave what looked like the city and drive into a gray nothingness. I got up out of my chair and went and bought a new one.

I take pretty good care of my stuff, so don't say anything like that. For the record, my second PS2 has never had a glitch and I've now owned it about twice as long as I had the 1st one.

SomethingBig
06-26-2005, 03:19 PM
I saw this thing on Tech TV where they wanted to see which of the consoles were most durable and three tests were involved: I forgot what the first one was, but the second was a sledge hammer hit, and the third was a drop from 15-20 feet up. Of course, the PS2 broke first and the first test wasn't all that bad. Both the XBox and Cube still worked. The second test was the sledge hammer hit and again, both survived. After the third test, the XBox stopped working, but the Cube still ran. Cube = teh strongest.

Zeldy
06-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Now theres one easy way around this..
Dont buy one :love:

I saw this thing on Tech TV where they wanted to see which of the consoles were most durable and three tests were involved: I forgot what the first one was, but the second was a sledge hammer hit, and the third was a drop from 15-20 feet up. Of course, the PS2 broke first and the first test wasn't all that bad. Both the XBox and Cube still worked. The second test was the sledge hammer hit and again, both survived. After the third test, the XBox stopped working, but the Cube still ran. Cube = teh strongest.
Ofcourse the Cubes teh strongest! The Cube is teh best :<3:

KentaRawr!
06-27-2005, 12:03 AM
My Ps2 still works just fine. o.o

Lionx
06-27-2005, 12:15 AM
And so the winner still stands as Nintendo..o_o...its why i dont like how the PSP can break after dropping it and be called a portable..-_-;

DJZen
06-27-2005, 06:43 AM

That's only if it's within waranty, and opening up your console DEFINITELY voids the warranty. I worked in returns at a music store, and let me tell you, some companies make you jump through some serious hoops to actually get a return. Whether or not the problem is covered by the warranty is at the company's discretion, and Sony is known for being an oddball when it comes to warranty returns.

Really? From what I've seen it's the opposite. My PS1 has been through hell and back and works like the day I got it. My friend had an N64 not nearly as old as my PS1 and he babied it to death and it just broke on him.

I think they're all pretty well built but it really depends on who owns them.

Well, first of all, yes, it does depend on who owns it. More specifically it depends on how that person treats it. Did you know that the PS2 was NOT built to play DVDs? One every so often is fine, but it strains the hell out of the hardware if you do it repeatedly. If you ever hear a scraping sound, hit eject IMMEDIATELY. PS2 has a known issue of being unable to focus the laser. As a result, the machine will attempt to move it closer and closer to the disc to the point where it actually damages the surface.

Secondly, the N64 was not at all the most durable Nintendo system ever made. One of the biggest problems was the controllers, which seriously deteriorated after prolonged use (like say, the kind you have playing Smash Bros. every day). Eventually you'd just have to buy a new one. The NES also had a big issue, namely the spring loading cartridge mount. However, nothing stacks up to the (still growing) number of known issues that plague the PSP, including battery problems, input problems, and screen burnout problems. I'll probably buy a PSP at some point just 'cause there's bound to be several awesome games for it that I really want, but I'm pretty unhappy with Sony about their recent disregard for quality when it comes to consoles.

Aphelion
06-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Agreed. It's a shame they're the leaders of a worldwide conspiracy to make us spend more money. Capitalism sucks, you know. But yeah, they're losers. They can feed their children just because we fix our broken consoles, as they can't sell enough for it.

Enough jokes: PS2s are destined to break. I don't know how, I don't know why, I don't even know when, but why the heck my Star Ocean Till The End of Time isn't working anymore? Because my disk reader broke for the 3rd time in two years. Heh.

They were made just to break. I really hope Sony's making a hard metal cover for the PS3 (I'm not talking about color, I'm talking about materials) because it has to be a lot more resistant than the PS2 to support not only their own incompetence of hardware-making, but also our punches and kicks when the console isn't working anymore.

I've got nothing against Sony. They're big masters of marketing and money-making (and my secret heroes) but they really lack a safe hardware development company to provide them with...hard metal covers.

lordblazer
06-27-2005, 06:49 PM
the original playstations were programed to break upon release of the PS2.

This is nothing new.

I mean I still have a working Sega Genesis you know the one were you can plug int eh headset yeah that one and it still works with all my sonic games :D
lol.

theres a reason why i dont like sony fanboys mainly because they'll still buy the crap even if it malfunctions after a few weeks use.

RedCydranth
06-27-2005, 07:40 PM
My personal testimonies of consoles:

Playstation/Playstation 2
I bought a PSX about 1 year after its release. I promply purchased several games for it, all RPGs of course. I plyed them and had my PSX working fine until PS2 came out. I personally feel the morons who buy consoles first day are wasting money and time because when a console comes out, how many GOOD games are for it? 1 at most. When PS2 debuted there wasn't any that caught my eye. So i waited a while and got one when FFX came out. My PSX I donated to my best friend who at the time still had super nintendo (whch to this day works beautifully). I played my PS2 daily and destroyed FFX mastering the game. I then went back to my PS1 collection and I started to play the occasional DVD on it. here's where my tale fals to woe. One day I come home with a recently discovered deal at the GameCrazy near me. RPG Maker 2. I pop it in and .... hey its not working... stupid disc! oh well, I'll return it tomorrow, until then I'll play Suikoden II. Huh?? What the hell? Now this doesn't work? Its my PS2! So I go try FFX. Works fine. I try Suikoden III (i had not yet plyed it much because I wanted to load full suikoden II data into it) Works fine.. I try some of my music CDs.. works fine. DVDs? Fine.. But any CD that was Black Bottomed wouldn't work. Silver or Blue was fine. Seeing as I know electronics and repair them, I calmly open my PS2 and discover that the fan in the back was installed backwards and instead of blowing air out it was sucking air in. combine that with the fact I owned 8 (yep eight) cats, needless to sayy it was the furriest PS2 in existance. Now, if the PS2 played all but black bottom disks with ALL that cat hair in there (there was a good fistfull of hair distributed within it) I can say that the PS2 is in fact a decent machine. BUT, on the converse my fan was installed backwards!!!
I promptly went out and bought a PS2, closed my room of to the cats and rarely played it due to the fear of cat hair infestation. I soon moved out and to this day it works beautifully. It has been great for 2 years now.

N64
I owned an N64 for about... 6 months. I bought it new, and came home with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I quickly beat the game and I had friends come over with various games. after 5 months both of my controllers center stick had no use. I could push them in any direction and nothing would happen. the L button on one fell out and the other's Z button made a springy twang when pressed. Shoody controllers. but the system was great. When i got my PSX i sold my N64 to my friend who bought games for it to play at my house (how convenient) Later on when the GC came out he didn't want it anymore and then asked if I wanted it back for free (with 2 new controllers obviously) i tossed him 5 dollars and its sitting in my living room working as good as it did the day i bought it. The new controllers are doing great too. I think the first 2 i got were faulty because we didnt mash the hell out of them or anything, they just didnt respond. I look at my N64 controllers now and i notice a little white ring in the control stic's base, my original controllers didn't have that.. I dunno.. maybe they realized the problem and fixed it. Either way.. Good condition.

GameCube
my girlfriend bought it new 2 years ago and its still working perfectly. Nuff said.

All the other consoles Ive never had a problem with. Except the NES, but everyone had to blow into cartridges and play with the springloaded front. And promptly get irate when your saved data is gone.

Chibi Youkai
06-27-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm on my second ps2. On the first one, the laser, and the motor controlling it both died. It didn't help that it was an american ps2 on a power transformer in england, though. We had to replace most of our electronics when we moved back to the us, so in that case, I don't think it's sony's fault. But who knows.

DJZen
06-28-2005, 02:51 AM
My NES and SNES still work, and I've never had a problem with my PS2. I guess I'm just lucky like that. However, I HAVE witnessed bad N64 controllers first hand. On the bright side, I've also seen 3rd party ones that were much better in both layout and durability.

Raistlin
06-28-2005, 03:33 AM
I've owned my PS2 since the very time it came out(I pre-ordered way in advance), and it is still going strong. As is my PSX(I have this thing about playing PS1 cames only on my PSX), which I've owned for god knows how many years. So that's a lot of years. However, I have gone through a few controllers...*cough*

squareSOFT
06-28-2005, 03:41 AM
I've had my PS2 since it came out and I've dropped it on cement from a metre up twice and no problems so far!

DMKA
06-28-2005, 04:04 AM
Well, first of all, yes, it does depend on who owns it. More specifically it depends on how that person treats it. Did you know that the PS2 was NOT built to play DVDs? One every so often is fine, but it strains the hell out of the hardware if you do it repeatedly. If you ever hear a scraping sound, hit eject IMMEDIATELY. PS2 has a known issue of being unable to focus the laser. As a result, the machine will attempt to move it closer and closer to the disc to the point where it actually damages the surface.
Hmm, well seeing as the games are DVDs, that's kind of an oxymoron.

If you're talking about movies, thats crap too, seeing as the games are taking more of the system's power than the movies are, and when playing FMVs are doing the exact same thing. I've had mine for years and I watch movies on it more than I play games, and it works better than my brother's which is about a year newer and has never had a movie played in it because my mom believes that stupid rumor.

You can believe that if you want, but it's like saying a CD player wasn't made to play CDs

Chzn8r
06-28-2005, 07:29 AM
Yeah... so by the sounds of it Genesis, Gamecube, and SNES are all very durable consoles. As far as controllers... well I've had NES, SNES, N64, and PS1/2 dual shocks crap out on me (buttons fail to press anymore, the stick of course on the N64 controller though those usually last 2-3 years of good play). Sega controllers, Gamecube controllers, and Xbox (well I haven't used that one enough to tell) have all been very faithful and good to me.

Samuraid
06-28-2005, 08:05 AM
The first generation of PS2s in particular have an airflow problem that makes the optical system highly susceptible to dust and other contaminants. A few friends of mine have had PS2 consoles die on them for this very reason.

It seems that others have mentioned dust problems in this thread.

I don't know if Sony remedied the problem with the later models...

DJZen
06-28-2005, 08:36 PM

If you're talking about movies, thats crap too, seeing as the games are taking more of the system's power than the movies are, and when playing FMVs are doing the exact same thing. I've had mine for years and I watch movies on it more than I play games, and it works better than my brother's which is about a year newer and has never had a movie played in it because my mom believes that stupid rumor.

You can believe that if you want, but it's like saying a CD player wasn't made to play CDs

I'm talking about the disc READING hardware, and it's more like saying the PS1 wasn't meant to play VCDs. It wasn't, but it can do it. However, that doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. I've also had mine for years and never had any problem with it at all. However, I'm not about to discount the many, many reports I've heard about DREs etc.

MecaKane
06-28-2005, 09:14 PM

DVD movies are being constantly read by the PS2 for the entire two hours they're playing. Games load up the info they need for that area or whatever, and then are much less active. That's what those loading screens are for. :eek:
And thinking PS2 FMVs are in DVD video format is ludacris, considering a game with 30 minutes of fmvs would have an entire quarter of the disk used up right from the start. Yah, all the FMVs on your PC games are in .mpeg format, too!

Mirage
06-28-2005, 10:04 PM
I got my first PS2 about 4 years ago, but i accidentially dropped it about 6 months later and the laser diode probably got disaligned. I got a new one for free, and it's still working perfectly. I've never had any problems with the PStwo i bought for my siblings.
I would assume the reason old Nintendo systems last longer is that the storage medium is much more robust, no movable parts, and well protected by a dust-proof plastic cover. My Gamecube got read errors about 6 months after I bought it.

-edit-
Forgot some stuff.
There are often more problems with the first generation of new consoles, that's why I'm going to wait some months with getting a PS3.