PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario RPG Challange!

Ultima Shadow
06-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Yes, I've decided to start a RPG challange. I and TT have already played trough SMRPG once without using equippment. This time it will probably be much tougher, though. I'm not sure if it even is possible to get trough the whole game this way yet... but it should be. :p

I'm going to try to beat SMRPG without ever leveling up. I'll only level up in unavoidable fights. I'll never walk into the normal encounters and whenever I encounter an enemy, I'll have to run. Every avoidable fight must be avoided. :cool:

Since SMRPG don't get the attention it deserves, I'm sure no-one else will attempt this... but hopefully someone else who loves this game and likes challanges will. :greenie:

Edit: Oh, and there's 1 more thing about this challange... you're NOT allowed to use dammaging items like Rock Candy. :greenie:

Captain Maxx Power
06-25-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't know if doing such a challenge with an admittely "childish" RPG such as SMRPG will gainer the same level of respect as, say, doing the same thing with one of the FFs would. But good luck all the same.

lord shishio
06-25-2005, 07:25 PM
no rock candy????!!!!!!?????/ Thats an insult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fine then, I'll just have to stick to my tootsie pops

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-25-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm wondering if it's possible. Good luck!

Ultima Shadow
06-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I don't know if doing such a challenge with an admittely "childish" RPG such as SMRPG will gainer the same level of respect as, say, doing the same thing with one of the FFs would. But good luck all the same.
SMRPG is not childish. It's humoristic. :p

no rock candy????!!!!!!?????/ Thats an insult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fine then, I'll just have to stick to my tootsie pops
The reason is simply because stuff like Rock Candy makes some fights too easy. 1 of the really hard things about this challange is that you usually do a very low amount of dammage in battles. Dammaging items would prevent that fact. :greenie:

I'm wondering if it's possible. Good luck!
Thanks. Thanks to the ability to defend against some attacks and do extra dammage with your own by "timing" in battles, it should be possible. I'm just about to enter the forest and so far, Mario and Mallow are at level 2. Croco and Mack were pretty tough but Belome wasn't too much trouble. Also, the fact that the characters you get later on have a higher start level may make things easier. :cool:

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-25-2005, 11:53 PM
I imagine you have to be REALLY good at the timing in order to win that challenge. Especially since you probably won't be getting a lot of special abilities.

abrojtm
06-26-2005, 01:13 AM
Are you using savestates?

Ultima Shadow
06-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Are you using savestates?
No. I only save on savepoints. I don't play on an emulator with savestates.

Anyways... I've now got to Booster's Tower. I'm advancing incredibly fast since I never fight as long as it's not a forced battle. Bowyer was not too hard since I had Geno in that battle. Without Geno, it would have taken me ages, though. Since Geno started off at level 6, he become very useful. Croco wasn't as tough as the first time but still pretty dangerous... and much tougher than Punchinello who still was pretty much a pushover. I now also have Bowser who starts at level 8, so he's by far the toughest guy in my party at the moment. Geno, who's at level 7 after the battle with Croco and Punchinello is still the second most powerful, though. Mallow is more or less useless at the moment. I've saved just before entering the room where you have to hide from Booster and the Sniffits. :greenie:

Money isn't too much of a problem since I've found 2 hidden boxes with Kerokero Cola which can be sold for 200 coins each. :cool:

The hardest battle so far would probably be Mack and Croco (the first time).

Kirobaito
06-27-2005, 12:32 AM
I tried that a few years ago and got to either Johnny or Yaridovich (can't remember) before it got too difficult.

Ultima Shadow
06-27-2005, 04:20 PM
I tried that a few years ago and got to either Johnny or Yaridovich (can't remember) before it got too difficult.
Well, I just defeated Yaridovich. I had a little trouble with him and Jhonny though. It was probably Jhonny that you found difficult because there's 2 ways to go against him. The insanely hard way and the easier way. I'll talk more about that later in this post.

After successfully avoiding getting caught by Booster in the end of his tower, I had to fight Knife Guy and Grate Guy. Thanks to the new powerhouse, Bowser, it wasn't too hard but still a pretty tough battle. Mario died in 1-2 hits most of the time. Thanks to Bowsers phsycical strength, I was able to beat Grate Guy pretty fast, though... which made the rest of the battle much easier.

The next unavoidable battle was the boss battle against the living cake. Even though it was tougher than the last battle, it wasn't too much trouble either. Pice of cake! :D

No battle in Star Hill... just rushing trough without encountering a singel enemy. Now... I finally got to Jhonny's ship. The big Octopuss was much tougher than the last 2 battles but still not too tough... as long as you've got a great load of "Pick me up's".

The battle against Jhonathan Jhonny Jones seemed to be just insane until I remembered the old trick to avoid getting into the 1 on 1 fight. If you kill all the Shark dudes, Jhonny will challange Mario to a 1 on 1 duell. Since Mario is extremely weak at the moment and dies in like 1-2 hits as long as you don't successfully block the blows completely, this is just a crazy fight. You'll need to block just about every hit from Jhonny completely and take 0 dammage while YOU have to hit him like... a lot of times since Mario suck at doing any good amount of dammage at the moment. But instead, you can simply kill of all but 1 of the Shark dudes to prevent the 1 on 1 battle. As long as atleast 1 of the Shark dudes are alive, Jhonny won't challange you. I had also brought a Sleep Bomb with me which was extremely usefull since I could put all the Shark dudes to sleep with it and then take them out one by one until there only was 1 left. After Jhonny uses Valor Up, it's very hard to dammage him.

Yaridovich wasn't as hard to dammage as Jhonny and since Geno leveled up and got the "Geno Boost" ability after Jhonny (good timing, since I wouldn't have been able to survive Water Blast without that ability) it was even easier to dammage him. Doing more than 110 in 1 hit was still almost impossible, tough. The problem with Yaridovich is Water Blast. Probably the most dangerous attack that has been used against me so far. If he's using it twice in a row, you can be sure to kiss your ass goodbye as long as you haven't got Peach in your party and use Group Hug in between. However... since you'll need Geno's boost ability, you would have to switch Peach with Bowser, who's your best dammage dealer and meat sheild... so... I really prefere Bowser over Peach in this battle. Well, anyways... overall, Yaridovich was just about as tough as Mack and Croco. :greenie:

lord shishio
06-27-2005, 10:35 PM
I still can't get over that no rock candy deal tho, I mean come on, I'm running out of Reec'es Pieces, and my butterfingers ran out hours ago!!!!!!!!

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-28-2005, 07:19 AM
Is the Lazy Shell/Lazy Shell Armor permitted in this challenge? It'd make things a whole lot easier.

Ultima Shadow
06-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Is the Lazy Shell/Lazy Shell Armor permitted in this challenge? It'd make things a whole lot easier.
Oh, yeah... I forgot to mention that. Nope, I won't use any of the "super equippment". This includes Attack Scarf, Super Suit (too hard to get anyways) and the Lazy Shells. I'll only use them if it would turn out to be impossible without them. But I'm sure it's possible without them so... yeah. :cool:

Anyways... I've advanced and I'm now about to enter the Volcano!

First off, I had a few forced encounters in Lands End. I had to fight the ants in order to get trough to monstro town. The ants weren't hard at all, but their Something-Kiss attack were powerfull enough to instantly kill Mario and Geno. But since they almost never used it and died pretty quick, that wasn't too much of a problem.

Belome, while harder than last time, was still not really that tough... as long as he don't swallow and clone Bowser or Geno. Bowser and Geno clones can be pretty tough.

Now, I finally made it to Monstro Town! And guess what? The first thing I do after saving is going back to Molleville, buying Fireworks, trading for Shiny Stone, going back to Monstro Town and fighting Culex... and dying in the very first round. Ouch. :D I'll seriously try to beat him later on, though. :cool:

Anyways... Smilax, the big, bad plant, was supprisingly easy. The only thing to worry about at all was Petal Blast.

Now... that freaky Egg-thing on the other hand... was a much bigger problem. Not too hard, actually... but the Pick me up's were used up like crazy. The egg boss only use 2 moves. Phsycical attack and a super egg attack which kinda worked like an instant-kill attack on 1 party member. :greenie:

And finally... Valentina and Dodo... another difficult battle that almost can compare to Mack, Croco and Yaridovich. Bowser got into the duell with Dodo, and every attack had to be guarded against in order to get a guaranteed win. Valentina had some very nasty moves as well, but lacked any extreme moves like Yaridovich's Water Blast and was therefore not quite as hard... but still "hard enough." :cool:

Now... Czar Dragon and The Axem Rangers may be a BIG problem...

Ultima Shadow
06-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Ok, I got to the Czar Dragon... and that was the hardest battle so far. That crazy thing could almost finish off my whole party in 1 turn and I had to use up my whole Item inventory. Then I went back to the shop in the Volcano to stock up on stuff.

...and then... The Axem Rangers... are BY FAR the toughest battle so far. Mostly because Geno and Bowser are the only ones who even can survive the Breaker Beam... while defending. The problem, of course... is that I usually run out off healing Items and stuff before the battle is over... :greenie:

I'll try again later today. Axem Black and Axem Green are the main treats because of their extremely dangerous attacks. :cool:

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-29-2005, 06:41 PM
The Axem Rangers can be tough even at higher levels, you've got your work cut out for you.

KuRt
06-29-2005, 06:45 PM
_ol lol lo_ I started smrpg that way and croc was eeezay. You know that everytime you use the jump ability it does more damage? And also spikeys are immune to jump... So I always power up Jump at spikeys to do 250dmg :D :D

you didn´t say that powering jump is illegal in this challenge

Ultima Shadow
06-29-2005, 09:53 PM
_ol lol lo_ I started smrpg that way and croc was eeezay. You know that everytime you use the jump ability it does more damage? And also spikeys are immune to jump... So I always power up Jump at spikeys to do 250dmg :D :D

you didn´t say that powering jump is illegal in this challenge
Yes, but you don't get Super Jump until somewhere around Belome's Temple... and it's still hard to power up enough to make it do a good amount of dammage. I managed to Super Jump 33 times on Belome, and it still only did somewhere around 250 dammage since Mario was at such a low level. Oh, and are you actually fighting Spikeys? The point is to run from every battle! :p

Also... you really didn't find Croco hard at all? That's cool. Because every bomb he throws at you is an instant-kill. :cool:

Anyways... I finally managed to defeat The Axem Rangers with a party of Mario, Peach and Geno. It took me a couple of tries, though. Whenever Axem Green uses Meteor Blast, you're in BIG trouble. Once again, my Item Inventory got almost empty... but it was worth it. :p

Now... ONWARDS TO BOWSERS KEEP!!! :cool:

KuRt
06-30-2005, 02:17 AM
I was lucky, he didn´t use bombs. And i don´t kill the spikeys, use jump on them and run away. is that illegal? if it is i´ll have to start a new game from the beginning

Ultima Shadow
06-30-2005, 04:43 AM
I was lucky, he didn´t use bombs. And i don´t kill the spikeys, use jump on them and run away. is that illegal? if it is i´ll have to start a new game from the beginning
No, of course not. As long as you don't get EXP, there's no problem. When you said that you attacked the Spikeys, I just thought you meant that you fought them and didn't run away. Sorry. :p

Good for you. ;) When I fought Croco, he used his bombs about as much as he used his phsycical attacks. :p

By the way... have you got any futher yet? :greenie:

KuRt
06-30-2005, 02:57 PM
no, just killed crock and haven´t played afer that. I quess i should start playing.

Ultima Shadow
06-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Ok, well... I got to Exor... and that freaky thing is by far the toughest battle so far. Even The Axem Rangers seems to be easy when compared. The main problem is to dammage him. Since I haven't got Geno Whirl yet, I can't even use the cheap trick on him (yes, while it don't work on most bosses, it DOES work on Exor). But I probably wouldn't have used it anyways. :p

Oh, well... like I said... it's extremely hard to do even a decent amount of dammage. Super Jump is completey useless on Exor since it only does +1 dammage for each extra jump... :-/

Oh, well... Bowser's Keep in general wasn't too much harder than usuall... except that Magi Koopa was a bit tougher. But Magi Koopa was just an average boss, and not really that hard.

Boomer, the guy you fight right before Exor is also just an average boss... but he may force you to use up a few Items that you wanted to save for the Exor battle. :greenie:

KuRt
07-01-2005, 01:19 PM
I walked out of the forest and battled Mack. he´s tough.

Ultima Shadow
07-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Yes, he is. He's probably the 3th or 4th hardest boss so far even at the point where I am. Exor is just being a plain hell, though. Every time Exor's mouth attacks, there's a 50% probability that you'll cry. :p

I'll try Exor again soon though. I'll equip all the most attack boosting equipment I have on Geno and try to beat Boomer without losing any important Items. :greenie:

KuRt
07-01-2005, 08:41 PM
And important items are?

PS. I just owned mack. I was lucky. the bodyguards used drain only once, mack didn´t use flamewall and he used falme just 2 times :)

ONWARDS!

Ultima Shadow
07-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Weeeeheeee! I Finally defeated Exor!!! :cool: Oh, and congratulations on beating Mack. :cool:

Important Items= Pick me up's, healing stuff and Crystalize. I never had to use Crystalize on Boomer, though... but I almost always had to use a few Pick me up's.

Anyways... I used Mario, Peach and Geno against Exor. Mario was equipped with the Safety Bag, Peach with the Feather and Geno with the Amulet. I also equipped Geno with the Work Pants instead of the Star Cape, just to boost his dammage a little. I started off by using my one and only Crystalize, and then I used Geno Boost on Mario and, on Geno's next turn, on Geno himself. Mario Super Jumps on the Right Eye until it dies (1-2 Super Jumps is enough), and then Geno attacks the Skull with his phsycical attack, doing somewhere around 75-90 dammage (crictical hit). The mouth is the main treat because of moves like Corona, Water Blast and that annoying move with blue beams that does some dammage on the party AND makes everyone fall asleep. However... it's far too hard to kill the mouth for it to be worth it... since it gets revived after a while anyways. So don't even bother attacking it.

Anyways... this time, the moth used its weaker moves like Flame Wall more often and I never got hit by the deadly "Dark Star" So I managed to survive long enough to eventually finish off Exor. But it was by far the longest battle so far. :greenie:

Cruise Control
07-02-2005, 02:54 AM
Legend of the Seven Stars?!? Or the one for GBA?

KuRt
07-02-2005, 11:39 AM
So you are going to battle smithy.. GOOD LUCK
I hacked Belome. I would play now but I have to go visit my brother. darn.

Ultima Shadow
07-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Legend of the Seven Stars?!? Or the one for GBA?
Legend of the seven stars.

Ok, I defeated Jinx and got the Jinx Belt, stocked up on Items and then I went to the factory. The alarm clock was actually pretty tough. Almost as hard as the Czar Dragon. But the Earth Link and those 2 freaky dudes where actually suprisingly easy and no trouble at all. A first try cake-walk. :greenie:

Clark and the Manager wheren't though at all but the Director was pretty tough. I'm currently about to fight the Cheif and his magma-monster-machine. :cool:

KuRt
07-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah and I killed bowyer. he was kinda hard since he disabled Y button for a loooong time so mario´s timed attack did 6 damage, mallow´s 1 and Geno´s 30. and even timed Genobeam did 60 dmg and timed jump did 57 dmg..

KuRt
07-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Have you forwarded? I got to moleville and beat Crock and all that and now i´m at boosters tower and got Bowser´s kinklink weapon.

CCrock was easy, mallow cured when neccesary and Mario jumped, Geno either used finger shot or Geno beam and Crock died eventually.

Ultima Shadow
07-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Yeah, it's Smithy time for me now. And holy crap, he is tough!!! :p

The Factory Cheif was pretty hard in the begining, but once the Cheif himself died, the rest got pretty easy since the machine monster ran out of FP.

Oh, well... I can hardly even hit Smithy for more than 100 dammage. >_<

KuRt
07-05-2005, 08:53 PM
And the head has 8k hp.. You´ll be in problem.

Ultima Shadow
07-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Not to mention the fact that I haven't got past the FIRST form yet... :p

KuRt
07-06-2005, 11:12 AM
:p :eek:
And i guess i forgot about how I won punchinello: Well i noticed that Geno did more damage with fongershot than genobeam so i used timed fingershot for a nice 70 of damage. Punchinello is immune to jump and fireball is born to suck so mario also used timed attacks with punch glove for 46 damage. Mallow just used HP rain if he had to, if not, he used froggie stick to deal another 26 dmg to punchinello or used thunderbolt to kill those small bombs but on the medium or large bombs he just healed.
timed blocks were important in this battle. The battle itself was easy but it was only time consuming.

PS: I think you might have some sort of possibilites of fighting smithy if you have bowser with lazy shell, quartz charm and use energizer and/or bracer to him. I just thinked about many tactics but that was the first to come in mind to do damage to smithy. maybe not te lazy shell since it decreases your attack by 50 but something like that.

Ultima Shadow
07-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Oh, yeah... I forgot to mention that. Nope, I won't use any of the "super equippment". This includes Attack Scarf, Super Suit (too hard to get anyways) and the Lazy Shells. I'll only use them if it would turn out to be impossible without them. But I'm sure it's possible without them so... yeah. :cool:

However... I dont know if not even using Attack Scarf may be a bit over the top when it comes to fighting Smithy, even though I've made it this far without it. What do you think? But I don't think the Lazy Shells should be allowed. :p

Cruise Control
07-06-2005, 07:28 PM
OMG, the factory near the end is incredibly hard this way. Especially Andy (think thats his name, it's bean a while). My fav is the puppet dude though!

Ultima Shadow
07-11-2005, 01:44 AM
GAH!!! I actually managed to get pretty far into the second fight... and then everyone was finished off by Star Swarm. DOH!! >_<

Ultima Shadow
07-11-2005, 03:43 PM
I just defeated Smithy!!! The second form was actually much easier than the first, and I never needed to use the Attack Scarf. So... I have finally finished this game without leveling and without using the Lazy Shells, Super Suit or Attack Scarf or any offensive Items!!! :cool:

Final levels: Mario & Mallow: 11! Geno: 12! Bowser & Peach: 13! :cool:

Now... there's just 1 thing left to do. CULEX!!! :cool:

edczxcvbnm
07-11-2005, 04:11 PM
You are a super mario RPG GOD!

Ultima Shadow
07-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks. :D

And Culex is actually a whole lot tougher than Smithy! :eek: So I have yet to beat that dude... :cool:

KuRt
07-12-2005, 11:38 PM
I got went to bowser´s keep and kicked countdown´s butt before I had to format my computer :cry: :cry:

Ultima Shadow
07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
I finally managed to beat the almighty Culex! I'm now 100% done with this challange! :cool:

That's sad to hear, KuRt... so... your save files are all lost? :(