PDA

View Full Version : Watching music

Breine
06-25-2005, 11:09 PM
We all know that a good music video can be important for album sales these days. The quality of music videos is very various, though. What is your opinion on music videos? Which music video is your favorite, and which one is your least favorite?

Chris
06-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Björk generally makes wonderful (and certainly) videos of high artistic quality. I don't like the videos ,where basically, the singer does nothing but hold a microphone for 4 minutes.

Lindy
06-25-2005, 11:13 PM
The Arcade Fire - Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out)

Best. Video. Ever.

Rye
06-25-2005, 11:13 PM
I like music videos with screaming and crying and dancing.

I dunno my favourite music video. I do like Everybody's Fool by Evanescence a lot. It's cool, Amy takes roles of different people.

ZeZipster
06-25-2005, 11:14 PM
The only music videos I've ever cared about were Nirvana music videos. Don't quite know why either.

kikimm
06-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Well, I can't have much of an opinion on them, since there's no station that really plays them anymore. But to answer the question...I like really creative music videos. That includes odd visuals, or replacing the band with....paper, legos, whatever. It makes it easier to watch, because Vh1 and MTV have a habit of playing twhatever videos they have over and over again. I'm not a huge fan of them. :)

I don't have a favorite music video, but my least favorites are ALMOST any rap video, because they're all exactly the same. I really cannot tell the difference. Boring.

:D

Cuchulainn
06-25-2005, 11:24 PM
U.N.K.L.E.'s 'Rabbit In Your Headlights' video owns, and Aphex Twin's 'Come To Daddy'.

Lindy
06-25-2005, 11:26 PM
Ok, yes, Rabbit In Your Headlights is probably the second best video ever.

Shoeberto
06-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Hmm. I still need to see that one.

Radiohead's "No Surprises" video and Gorillaz's "Feel Good Inc." come to mind when I think of really good videos.

The Man
06-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Videos have ruined music. However, Spike Jonze's videos are class. (The one that most immediately comes to mind is Weezer's "Buddy Holly").

Lindy
06-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Video killed the Radio Star.

Who was in turn killed by Vin Diesel.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-25-2005, 11:38 PM
I Am the Walrus - The Beatles :D :D :D

The Man
06-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Video killed the Radio Star.

Who was in turn killed by Vin Diesel.
Ultimately, Vin Diesel is responsible for nearly everything in this world, either good or evil.

Zeldy
06-25-2005, 11:47 PM
I love the videos..
Nymphetamine by Cradle of filth
Life Burns by Apocalyptica feat. Lauri Ylönen
In The Shadows (Crow EU version) by The Rasmus
Where's your head at? by Basement Jaxx <-- you cant beat that!

Breine
06-25-2005, 11:52 PM

There are actually two European versions: One for Scandinavia and one for the rest of Europe... Just thought I'd tell you.

Yamaneko
06-25-2005, 11:57 PM
The problem with music videos is crappy artists that make crappy music try to hide their music behind an artistic video. Or in other cases you have equally bad music videos complimenting bad music. Unless your music is artistic (like Tool's videos), don't make videos to go along with them.

Dr.K
06-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Meaning of Life by The Offspring is amusing, and I found Pantera's video for their cover of Planet Caravan intriguing.

Poopcannon
06-26-2005, 01:33 AM
The best video by far is Smack My Bitch Up by Prodigy. End of discussion. It was obviously made just so it could be banned. I have to agree, other classics are Come To Daddy by Aphex Twin and Parabola by Tool. I first saw Parabola years ago (I think I was ten...) at 2 in the morning, and was confused for a week...

Leeza
06-26-2005, 03:50 AM
My favourites are all the videos by Marilyn Manson and my least favourites are any and all rap or hip hop.

Dante WolfWood
06-26-2005, 04:06 AM
californiacation by RHCP....best video EVAR

oh and save me by unwritten law pretty damn good too.

krissy
06-26-2005, 05:01 AM
aphex twin windowlicker

squarepusher come on my selector

Spiffing Cheese
06-26-2005, 09:33 AM
That Offspring video with the animated dog is cool.

Rini
06-26-2005, 10:00 AM
I don't watch music videos. I diss public music channels, because they play only what's popular (okay occasionally they play something good, but that's a big minority percent of the videos played), and I'm not interested in that.
Also I think that music videos are mostly crap, and not needed to point out what the song wants to say.

However, I once saw Metallica's "One" music video, and thought it was quite good, since it represented quite well what the song is about, and also what the band is about.

Rusty
06-26-2005, 11:16 AM
I like to watch music videos - but the music videos I like usually relate to the music I'm currently listening to. Outkast in my opinion have some of the best rap/hip hop videos out. They have such awesome and fun music and their videos are just as equally fun. My favourite music video would have to be 'Hey Ya' but Outkast.

Zeldy
06-26-2005, 02:34 PM
That Offspring video with the animated dog is cool.
'Hit that' Omg i loved that video!

There are actually two European versions: One for Scandinavia and one for the rest of Europe... Just thought I'd tell you.
Ive seen 3 different versions of it.
The UK/US Version
The Finnish Version
And the, EU 'Crow' Version

DMKA
06-26-2005, 03:10 PM
I love musicvideos. Some of my favorites are "Do the Evolution" by Pearl Jam, "The Earth Song", "Black or White", "Scream" and "Thriller" by Michael Jackson, and "Freak on a Leash" by KoRn.

The videos I really dislike are the ones that just have absolutely nothing to do with the song and are soley for us to stare at the supposely beautiful people singing the song (ie, the majority of Nsync/backstreet Boys/Britney Spears videos).

Also I don't like Radiohead's videos...particularly "Knives Out"...why? Because it scares the living crap out of me.

funkotron
06-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Michael Jackson's Thriller is the best.
Of course I love Southbound Pachyderm by Primus and My Ass Is On Fire by Mr. Bungle.

Shoeberto
06-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Also I don't like Radiohead's videos...particularly "Knives Out"...why? Because it scares the living crap out of me.
Can't blame you there :P

Pure Strife
06-26-2005, 08:15 PM
If Life Is Like A Lovebank by the Wildhearts

"aren't i a lucky chip"

Strider
06-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" is the best music video ever.

Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal" is a close second.

Kirkpatrick
06-28-2005, 09:00 AM
I don't see very many music videos at all, thanks to my lack of music stations (which I don't like to watch anyway, because it seems whenever they actually get around to playing a video, it's a bad song :p) and slow internet, but I must agree with DMKA that Freak on a Leash is a pretty cool video.

Jack
06-28-2005, 10:12 AM
1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins

Devourment
06-28-2005, 11:09 AM
'Disposable Teens' or 'Beautiful People' by Mazza Manson, or Aphex Twin's 'Come to Daddy' or 'Windowlicker'. Also Björk's 'Pagan Poetry'. :greenie: