PDA

View Full Version : Favorite cover songs?

Chris
06-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Listen to Grace's rendition of Sting's "Demolition Man" and tell me that Sting's version is better?! I thought so. :spin:

Demolition Man (http://www.savefile.com/filehost/files.php?fid=7776075)
Sting cover.

Favorite cover songs anyone?

Edit: Please move it to the Lounge. :spin:

Madame Adequate
06-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Johnny Cash's cover of NiN's Hurt. Winz. Whether better than the original or not I don't know, but I do know which one makes me cry whenever I listen to it.

Shoden
06-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Flip N Fill Discoland, Shooting Star and Irish Blue
Girls Aloud Jump

TheAbominatrix
06-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Johnny Cash's cover of NiN's Hurt. Winz. Whether better than the original or not I don't know, but I do know which one makes me cry whenever I listen to it.

It's very different from the original, I can say that much. Seriously, listen to NiN's, you'll appreciate Johnny Cash's even more.

Anyway... I'd have to say, without a doubt, Jimi Hendrix's cover of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower. So amazing. I love Bob Dylan, but Hendrix did it so much better in this case.

Shoeberto
06-26-2005, 07:15 PM
TV on the Radio's cover of The Pixie's "Mr. Grieves"

I don't listen to The Pixies, but I checked out the original after listening to the cover. The cover is brilliant, which is much more than I can say about the original.

DMKA
06-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Anyway... I'd have to say, without a doubt, Jimi Hendrix's cover of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower. So amazing. I love Bob Dylan, but Hendrix did it so much better in this case.
This is the correct answer.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-26-2005, 07:32 PM
I thought Nonpoint did an excellent cover of "In the Air Tonight"which was originaly by Phil Collins I think

Dreddz
06-26-2005, 08:09 PM
I thought that wiley and kanos remix of Yeah was very good and very different

Poopcannon
06-26-2005, 11:58 PM
Metallica's cover of Thin Lizzies cover of Whiskey in the Jar and Rage Against the Machine's cover of Bob Dillain's Maggie's Farm.

Both are better than the original in many ways...

Kirobaito
06-27-2005, 12:51 AM
I think "All Along the Watchtower" is widely considered to be the best cover song of all time.

I've always had a soft spot for John Denver's cover of Ian & Sylvia's "Darcy Farrow," myself. Also his cover of Eric Andersen's "Thirsty Boots," which I think is better than Judy Collins's try at it, even though hers was a hit in the UK and his was never really popular with the general public.

EDIT: "Listen to Grace's rendition of Sting's "Demolition Man" and tell me that Sting's version is better?! I thought so.

Demolition Man
Sting cover."

That was utterly, utterly terrible.

rubah
06-27-2005, 01:46 AM
weezer's cover of Mrs. Robinson is fun, and all the covers I've ever heard of Don't Fear the Reaper (HIM, gus gus) and Mindy Smith and the white stripe's covers of Jolene.

Johnny Cash's Hurt is brilliant, but I've never heard the original :o

Ravenmorghane
06-27-2005, 01:21 PM
metallicas whiskey in the jar cover is FAR better then the original (thin lizzie), also their cover of its electric (originally done by diamondhead)
Im also loving Less than Jakes covers of the grease soundtrack. its fantastic.
I've also got an iron maiden live cover of deep purple's smoke on the water and queen's we will rock you

theyr ace

Chris
06-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Speaking of Johnny Cash, Grace made a live cover of his song "Ring of Fire" in 1998, listen to the song. :spin:

Ring of Fire (http://www.savefile.com/filehost/files.php?fid=7653051)
Johnny Cash. Live cover 1998.

DK
06-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Metallica's cover of Thin Lizzies cover of Whiskey in the Jar

Yeah, I agree. Also The Mad Capsule Markets cover of some random J-pop womans song "Fly High" is one of the greatest songs I ever heard, changed my life. :}

Ravenmorghane
06-27-2005, 01:48 PM
oh and the cover of black sabbath's paranoid by pantera and dave mustaine is so good. better than the original i think .. *hides from the black sabbath fans in the corner*

Jack
06-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Johnny Cash's redition of "Hurt" is different then NIN's version. Mr Cash's has the emotional dynamic, but NIN has the cold metallic feeling the song can create. I like both, and the cover is good for a cover.

Loony BoB
06-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Green Day's version of I Fought The Law is probably the best one I know, if not the one by The Dukes. Obviously The Clash deserve a solid mention too, but I feel the those two lesser known versions were better.

Someone remade BTO's You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet and I loved it. Damn the fact that I can't remember who it was that did it.

The only others I can think of at this moment are Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah and Gary Jule's Mad World. Oh, and of course Johnny Cash's Hurt.

http://www.coverinfo.de - great site, btw, even if it's mostly in German.

EDIT: Oh, and Quindon Tarver's version of When Doves Cry, while not neccessarily better than the original by Prince, is still a fantastic cover.

Devourment
06-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Jimi Hendrix's cover of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower. So amazing. I love Bob Dylan, but Hendrix did it so much better in this case.Me too. :love:

Muse's cover of The Animals 'House of the Rising Sun'. It's quite good. Damn that song has been covered by so many people / bands.

I don't like Muse that much anymore but it's all good.

Dr.K
06-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Gun did an absolutely astounding cover of Cameo's "Word Up", easily the best cover I've heard of the song. Apart from that, Metallica did a nice cover of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" and AFI have a good cover of the Misfits' "Halloween".

ff-fanatix
06-27-2005, 04:22 PM
3 words "Where Eagles Dare"

originally performed by Iron Maiden Later covered by the amazing Fozzy.....

absolutely amazing....

also metallicas ocver of bob segeres "Turn The Page".... original was amazing...and cover was just as good....each amazing in their own right

Casey
06-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Against All Odds - Postal Service, cover song originally by Phil Collins

I agree that Johnny Cash's cover song "Hurt" is more better then NINs' because it doesnt sound more depressing, and lacks cuss words.

Chris
06-27-2005, 09:11 PM
I loved Annie Lennox' cover of No More ("I Love Yous").

TheAbominatrix
06-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Oh, and I forgot. Metallica does pretty good covers of Die Die My Darling and another song by The Misfits, I cant remember which. There's also a band called Cocobat, a Japanese punk band, that does an great cover of it. Of course, ever punk band has covered a Misfits song at one point.

Aya Nekoneko
07-15-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm still in love with Emliana Torrini's rendition of "The Sound of Silence" and Gary Jules' version of "Mad World." Both I prefer over the originals. d:

ZeZipster
07-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Rufio - Like a Prayer (Madonna cover)
Rufio - Don't You Forget About Me (Simple Minds cover)
Tori Amos - Teen Spirit (Nirvana cover)
Rise Against - Anyway You Want It (Journey cover)
Hidden In Plain View - I Ran (Flock of Seagulls cover)
Amber Pacific - Video Killed Radio Star (The Buggles cover)
The Ataris - Boys of Summer (Don Henley cover)

<3 Rufio's covers.

-N-
07-15-2005, 11:09 PM
The Smashing Pumpkins' cover of Fleetwood Mac's <i>Landslide</i> is still the best cover effort I have ever heard. I guess that's because I no longer even consider <i>All Along the Watchtower</i> as a Bob Dylan song. :p

TheAbominatrix
07-15-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm still in love with Emliana Torrini's rendition of "The Sound of Silence" and Gary Jules' version of "Mad World." Both I prefer over the originals. d:

I love Gary Jules' Mad World, and you've got me intrigued, so I'll download this cover of The Sound of Silence.

And yes, Smashing Pumpkin's Landslide is really really great as well.

krissy
07-16-2005, 12:03 AM
feist cover of that bee gees song
futureheads coevering kate bush's hounds of love

Pastor_of_Muppets
07-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower(Best cover ever!)
Cream - Crossroads

Mitch
07-24-2005, 09:31 AM
The Datsuns do a might fine live rendition of Hoochie Mamma.

Led Zep's version of I Can't Quit You Baby is very good also.

Itsunari 2000
07-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Covers are just an excuse for people with no originality to use other people's songs and get away with it !