PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Prime or Kirby Canvas Curse?

KentaRawr!
06-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Hello. As you can probably tell from the Topic Title, I cannot decide which game to buy (Next Month).

I got a DS For Christmas, and it came with Metroid Prime: Hunters [First Hunt]. I enjoyed playing this Demo very much, but it only had 4 modes of play, and got somewhat repetitive. It is just a Demo, after all.

Then I wondered if I should get Metroid Prime for the Gamecube. It seems pretty cool to me. Then I remembered how much fun I had with Super Metroid...man, that game rocks.

But then, I heard about Kirby Canvas Curse. I heard things like: "The first real DS Game" and "Extremely innovative, and fun." I then remembered how much fun I had with older Kirby Games. Like Kirby Super Star.

So, I was wondering, which one should I get? Also, what are the controls for Metroid Prime?

I greatly thank the people who decide to vote here. ^_^

SomethingBig
06-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Eh... This is a tough decision. Metroid Prime is an FPS, unlike its predecessors.
R Button = Lock on
L = Aiming
A = Shoot
B = Jump/strafe
X = Rocket
Y = Ball
C-Stick = Switches between weapons
D-pad = Switches between visors.
It's okay, I guess. I never got around to beating it. There's a LOT of backtracking involved and... eh. The boss battles are very intense and fun

I've never played Kirby Canvas Curse, but from what I've seen, it's extremely fast-paced and brings out the DS's capabilities. I suppose I'd get Canvas Curse.

KentaRawr!
06-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Eh... This is a tough decision. Metroid Prime is an FPS, unlike its predecessors.
R Button = Lock on
L = Aiming
A = Shoot
B = Jump/strafe
X = Rocket
Y = Ball
C-Stick = Switches between weapons
D-pad = Switches between visors.
It's okay, I guess. I never got around to beating it. There's a LOT of backtracking involved and... eh. The boss battles are very intense and fun

I've never played Kirby Canvas Curse, but from what I've seen, it's extremely fast-paced and brings out the DS's capabilities. I suppose I'd get Canvas Curse.

How do you look around? o.o When you press a certain direction on the Analog Stick, does it automatically make your character look in that direction? o.o That would be interesting.

SomethingBig
06-26-2005, 09:33 PM
When you move the analog stick to the left, Samus looks left and same with the right. You move forward by pushing the analog stick forward. If you want to strafe, you have to press and hold R while moving left and right on the analog stick. If you want to look above or below you, you have to press and hold L while moving the analog stick.

Black Mage
06-26-2005, 09:40 PM
As much as I love the Metroid series, Prime wasn't my thing. Good game, but not my forte.

I did, however, pick up Kirby Canvas Curse after hearing so many good things about it.

It is fun. A bit short, but definitely fun.

KentaRawr!
06-26-2005, 09:51 PM
When you move the analog stick to the left, Samus looks left and same with the right. You move forward by pushing the analog stick forward. If you want to strafe, you have to press and hold R while moving left and right on the analog stick. If you want to look above or below you, you have to press and hold L while moving the analog stick.

That will take a while to get used to if I buy the game. :bored:

Edit: Can you configure the controls?

ljkkjlcm9
06-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Metroid Prime is a fun game, and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes is also very fun... I haven't played the new Kirby game, but if given the choice, I'd still get the Metroid Prime game... but that's just me

THE JACKEL

omnitarian
06-27-2005, 02:48 AM
I love them both, but I prefer Metroid Prime. 'Sides, if you get MP now, you can wait a bit for Canvas Curse's price to drop.

Yamaneko
06-27-2005, 02:56 AM
Kirby. I had no fun with the MPH demo. Or get Meteos! I'm getting that. :D

DJZen
06-27-2005, 06:26 AM
FPSs on a console are a horrible idea and have always been a horrible idea. The biggest obstacle in a game should NEVER be the controls, and that's just an unfortunate reality in FPS games played on a controller. Keyboard and mouse is really the only good way to do it. I don't care what anyone says about dual analog sticks, it's just a horrible idea.

Kirby Canvas Curse is one of the games I've been looking forward to most (and will have to look forward to for a LONG time since I'm broke as heck), and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

KentaRawr!
06-27-2005, 02:09 PM
... ... ... While I was on Half.com I totally forgot about this topic. o_o I got a used copy of Metroid Prime last night. And by using a $10 Cash Back Coupon, I got a usually $12.95 Controller (including shipping) for $2.95. The used copy of Metroid Prime cost me $10.25, including shipping. So I spent $13.20. ^_^

Well, I have $16.80 left from buying Metroid Prime and that Controller. I doubt that this is enough for Kirby Canvas Curse, so I will just wait until next month when I get my allowance. n_n

Thanks for voting, everyone! ^_^ (Even though when I was shopping at half.com I didn't think about my topic at all. o_o)

Chzn8r
06-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Best single-player game this console generation vs. probably the best DS game so far. Well hmmm... both very different... both good, though the Metroid game will immerse you for much longer and the boss battles will be much more challenging (especially hard mode :eek:). I chose Metroid Prime because of how much I love the entire experience of the game (and all these 80-some reviews (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/447244.asp) seem to agree with me).
You should get Kirby eventually, or whenever you know you'll need some portable action. It's a *good* game, while Prime is a benchmark for adventure games since 2002. It may be in first person perspective, but don't begin to think it's an FPS, because actual shooting combat is only about 2/3 the game. It's more exploration/discovery based, and you use the morph ball (3rd person view) quite a bit. The controls are perfectly tailored to the game. You don't need the dual-analog control of something like Halo. Every button has a purpose (or more than one). Instead of relying on pausing and going into menus to change everything, your visors and beams are right on the D-pad and C-stick to swap on the fly in battle or solving a puzzle, whatever.
And as an additional note- this game can be just as speed-run based as the great Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion are. It feels better to improve your skills and beat it in faster time (because you'll spend 10-20 hours on your first game)

KentaRawr!
06-28-2005, 01:30 PM
I already got Metroid Prime, Chzn8r. But at least now I feel like I made the right choice. n_n Thanks.

KentaRawr!
06-28-2005, 02:21 PM
^_^ Now I definitely made the right choice.