PDA

View Full Version : hand held consoles

thinking of names is hard
06-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Need peoples opinions. Big debate going on at school on which is the best hand held console. Psp, the gizmondo or the nintendo DS...ok maybe not the DS but i had to include it because of the title.

KentaRawr!
06-28-2005, 05:07 PM
No idea what the Gizmondo is, but between the PSP and the DS, I say DS. But not because of DS Games, it's because that the DS can play GBA games and the GBA was not included in the list. lol.

06-28-2005, 05:31 PM
No idea what the Gizmondo is, but between the PSP and the DS, I say DS. But not because of DS Games, it's because that the DS can play GBA games and the GBA was not included in the list. lol.
Gizmondo? I hadnt heard of it either until this week. Theyve got one shop in London and its big in America apparently (???).

New addition to the list is nintendo advance.

KentaRawr!
06-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Not to be all picky and stuff, but you mean Gameboy Advance. o.o And I vote for the Gameboy Advance! n_n

Erdrick Holmes
06-28-2005, 06:12 PM
If you want something with fun games, get a DS, if you want *sigh* good graphics get a PSP. Or better yet, get a PSP with two memory cards and emulate games.

Ryth
06-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Stay away from the Gizmondo its like $460 it has useless stuff like a GPS thats supposed to be used in games but it doesn't look like it, the like 2 games that look good one it aren't worth $460 I'd stay away from the Gizmondo.

Then when it comes to DS and PSP I'm a little stuck...the DS has a few innvative and fun games like Warioware, Pac-Pix, Feel the Magic and Mario(not really innovative though) but only a handful of truly fun games exist but upcoming games seem very fun Mario Kart DS, FFIII, Animal Crossing and is a very good system and is the cheapest at $150 it has a backlight and it does have backwards compatiablity...

The PSP well its more expensive ($250) it doesn't have any super innovative/gimmicky touch screen or innovation like that and it does tons of stuff (music, movies, photos, games (duh)) it has a big screen its alot better looking than the DS and in my opinon alot more portable, the graphics engine is alot better than the DS in my opinion it doesn't use super tiny carts it uses UMD discs and it has a backlight (I think) it has a larger library of good games but most are more like PS2/PSX ports than anything actually new I mean its upcoming games don't seem like anything specail they look fun but too similar like Medevil: Ressurection and some look mildly fun like Death Jr. and Daxter.

Overall I think the PSP is the better handheld but when it come to games I'm a bit undecided. If you want to find out more about its library of games look here. (http://www.Metacritics.com) It has all the PSP and DS games in there and they're scored (all critic review molded together to an average out of 100) and you can decide whats better. I hope that helped..

Don't buy the Gizmondo.

ZeZipster
06-28-2005, 06:33 PM
I would buy a GBA before I'd buy a Nintendo DS. I'm not doing backflips for a touchscreen, and that's all it has over the PSP.

I'm pretty biased though, the PSP will have Armored Core: Formula Front.

Dreddz
06-28-2005, 07:12 PM
would anyone really take anything seriously if its called a Gizmondo
0_o

Shoeberto
06-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Gizmondo? I hadnt heard of it either until this week. Theyve got one shop in London and its big in America apparently (???).
...apparantly not, since I don't think anyone's heard of it. Ah well.

I think the PSP is supposed to have a better array of games. The DS is fun though, too, and cheaper. Personally, I think I'd get the PSP, since it's more of a multimedia platform.

Endless
06-28-2005, 08:01 PM
If I was sure I would get a 1.5 version that allows to play custom apps (hello snes emu and later gba or whatnot), I would prolly get a psp. I have a DS already, thogh, nd I don't regret it, even with so few games.

Zeldy
06-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Id say get the DS.
But the GBA Rocks too! ;_______________;

DJZen
06-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Best handheld console ever? NGPC. Why? SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Milennium. Nuff said.

Screw PSP, the overpriced piece of junk should be recalled before more unsuspecting consumers buy it. If Sony fixes the damn thing and implements something resembling a warranty, then it'll be a good system.

PS: THIS is the Gizmondo:

http://www.gizmondo.com/StorePublic/ViewImage.aspx?pid=107&mode=orig

omnitarian
06-28-2005, 08:31 PM
I say DS, because it can play GBA games. :p

ljkkjlcm9
06-29-2005, 03:48 AM
You know what annoys me, people that say get the PSP cause it can play movies and stuff. Well folks, I'm not paying an extra 100$ to be able to watch movies... oh wait, i have to buy the movies for it too, rather than just using a regular DVD. That tells me, it definitely isn't worth the extra money. Honestly, none of the newest systems has anything extra-ordinary yet that is really worth getting it for. AND, i probably will get the PSP when the price drops another 100$, but I have a DS because I had a GBA, a lot of GBA games, and it can still play them. SO until some great game comes out for the DS i have my GBA games. Actually a Lunar games comes out for the DS in July (in america) and I'll probably get that. I think RPGs could work really well on the DS with the touch screen and stuff. Touch the options in battle, while moving around having the menu on the bottom instead of having to pause it, all sorts of neat stuff. I hear that you actually use the touch screen to move around the world map though. Either way I still think the touch screen and RPGs could work really well.

SO, my final judgement, don't get a GBA like people are saying, get a DS, cause it plays GBA games, and in the long run will save you money so when good DS games come out you don't have to buy it. Its the choice of paying 80 for a GBA now, then 150 for a DS later, or just paying the 150 now and being able to paly those GBA games. Definitely the DS man...

THE JACKEL

YukiKiro
06-29-2005, 04:21 AM
psp. its a complete multimedia resourse, internet capabilities included, and battery life couldn't mar the image it has created in my eyes. it is the ideal handheld, battery aside, and the battery is easy enough to access that it would be simple to relise a longer lifed batery later on.

Yamaneko
06-29-2005, 04:46 AM
Since I already have an MP3 player that fits in my pocket. And since I don't want to watch movies on a tiny screen, I went with the DS. It's just fun. And I think we can all admit that the coming game lineup for the DS looks better than the PSP's. Hell, they even got a Linux shell on the DS which opens up the possibility of a browser. Once I start seeing something original on the PSP I'll be sure to get it. Also once battery life is improved and they stop selling that stupid value pack. It could easily be sold for $199 without all that extra crap that comes with it. The PSP has potential. The DS is just showing more of it, though.

06-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Ok....first of all hers a website for the gizmondo if anyones interested:http://www.gizmondo.com/

Personally i dont really see why everyone wants the DS for the reason that it plays gameboy advance games. Its like a step backwards in all honesty. So heres some facts:

Psp:
Big colourful screen (480 x 272 pixel, 16.77 million colors )
Huge memory (32MB main memory, plus the game/disc you shove into it)
Lithium battery (rechargable)-lasts 4 hours
PLays videos and mp3s and photos... (which means that the sound isnt bad on it?)
£179
More than 100 PSP software titles are currently in development worldwide(alot)
Infrastructure/Online mode, which connects the PSP system to the Internet through a wireless-LAN from access points (play games with other people without having the game)
games are amazing
lots of add ons for it...e.g: a camera

Nintendo DS
Dual screen (bit hard to concentrate on both sometimes)
Touch screen(you touch it...friend has a game where you blow on it...)
Lithium battery-lasts 6 hours (bigger than psp)
Voice recognition (why???)
wireless chat
£100 (about)
you can get it in different colours (incase you want more than one)
Color: Capable of displaying 260,000 colors (neat and tidy...)
oh...and then theres the games-the gameboy advance ones too.

Gizmondo:
400Mhz of processor power(no idea what the hell that means...)
mp3 player
video player (not so sure about whole movies though...)
bluetooth
its got a gps incase you get lost
gprs for playing over the internet
buy huge memory cards for it (again more money)
expensive (like £360...£100 on ebay)
graphics that nearly rival psp (but not quite)
games are...erm...ok...

Gameboy advance
Erm.....its cheap?

Necronopticous
06-29-2005, 05:27 PM
The PSP is like a little mechanical piece of Heaven.

ljkkjlcm9
06-29-2005, 08:34 PM
I'd also liketo note that the DS will be having online capability just like the PSP in the future... Games like Mario Kart, or even a Super Smash Bros... so i've heard... AND the backward compability is not a step backward as "thinking of names is hard" says, because that's what everyone always rants and raves is great about the PS2 now PS3 and stuff...

THE JACKEL

06-30-2005, 09:24 AM
I'd also liketo note that the DS will be having online capability just like the PSP in the future...Sorry-forgot about that...Didnt mention that the gizmondo has the internet use either did i? And the psp doesnt have the internet as such....yet. You cant actually access the internt and browse around.

AND the backward compability is not a step backward as "thinking of names is hard" says, because that's what everyone always rants and raves is great about the PS2 now PS3 and stuff...

THE JACKEL
Did i say that??? Erm....can somone explain to me what the backward capability is?

omnitarian
06-30-2005, 03:40 PM
You can play GBA games on the DS. That's backwards compatibility.

squareSOFT
06-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Once you play on the PSP's huge screen and experience all it has to offer you are NEVER going to wanna go back to your boring old ds! :D

KentaRawr!
06-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Well, there are some games for the DS that interest me. Almost no games for the PSP interest me at all, but there are some GBA Games that look very good to me. I don't really like the PSP's extra features much. So, if I didn't have any of those 3, I would choose the DS. But, if the DS did not have Backwards Compatibility, I would probably choose the GBA first.

06-30-2005, 05:50 PM
You can play GBA games on the DS. That's backwards compatibility.
Ah-i get it.

Once you play on the PSP's huge screen and experience all it has to offer you are NEVER going to wanna go back to your boring old ds!
Pretty much my argument. I dont have a gameboy advance....so it doesnt affect me so much...

But if you had a gameboy advance-why would you get a DS because it can play advance games? Presumably if youve got the games youve got the advance....so whats the point solely buying a DS because it can play the games youve already got on your old gameboy advance. I dont understand why buying a DS becaue it plays advance games. Its handy-but i would buy the DS for its games, not its old games.

Endless
06-30-2005, 06:43 PM
You can sell your GBA when you get the DS.
Also, the DS accepts GBA flash carts. That's over 500 games for you with the proper tools.

SomethingBig
06-30-2005, 06:53 PM
PSP = Grapics + movies on a small screen.
DS = Innovation.

Rase
07-01-2005, 03:08 AM
For me, it's the DS. From what I've played of each (PSP and DS... haven't seen a Gizmundo), I prefered the DS's touch screen to the better graphics of the PSP. I played Metal Gear Ac!d for the PSP and Kirby: Canvas Curse for the DS, and I honestly had more fun with the DS. Also, since I don't really care about UMD movies, music, or basically any other extra the PSP provideds, uhhh, yeah. But that's my little opinion.

DJZen
07-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Once you play on the PSP's huge screen and experience all it has to offer you are NEVER going to wanna go back to your boring old ds! :D

I have, I've played Lumines. It's a very fun game, but for me it's just not worth it at all. I'll buy a PSP eventually, and I'm praying that Sony revises the system slightly so it won't be an expensive paperweight when I take it out of the box, but I'm just not all that interested right now. At least, not for $250.

The DS actually has games I want on it, and more games that I want are on their way, and it's $100 less. Sure, it doesn't play movies or mp3s or surf the web or make me toast in the morning or do my homework for me, but I don't care about all that. If I just wanted a portable movie player I could get a far cheaper portable DVD player and not have to re-buy all my movies. If I wanted an mp3 player, I could just use the one I have. Am I the only one who feels like people are forgetting that game systems are for PLAYING VIDEO GAMES on?

Yamaneko
07-01-2005, 10:21 PM
You could always get Play-Yan for the DS to watch movies and listen to music on. Plus, once it becomes easier to run homebrew code on the GBA flash carts, someone will come around and make a browser that will utilize the DS's wireless capabilities.

The Time Assassin
07-01-2005, 11:48 PM
PSP can play GBA, GBC, SNES, NES, Genesis, and many other games. Get it.

ljkkjlcm9
07-02-2005, 03:04 AM

... yes... but legally?

THE JACKEL

Lionx
07-02-2005, 03:16 AM
We need to mod Palm so it can play Emulators D:

The Time Assassin
07-02-2005, 03:58 AM

... yes... but legally?

THE JACKEL

Who cares if it is leagal? >_>;;

SomethingBig
07-02-2005, 04:08 AM
We're talking about the basic consoles here, without the mods. If we were to add in mods, then obviously the DS would be at a disadvantage. The PSP is basically a mini-laptop, whereas the DS is strictly for video-games, as it should be. When it all comes down to it, the DS is a work of innovation, whereas the PSP is a work of omfg-our-already-rich-company-wants-more-money.

Aphelion
07-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Between DS and PSP, I choose PSP, but none of them is able to match my GBA...

KentaRawr!
07-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Yeah. If the DS didn't have Backwards Compatibility, then the GBA would win in my opinion. n_n

The Time Assassin
07-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Even without mods, all of DS's games blow ass and PSP still has awesome games. MGA, Lumines, Hot Shots, WipEout, Untold Legends, and more on the way. *cough* GTA: Liberty City Stories *cough*

While DS has: Mario. omgwtfh4x Such an impressive library! 1 !1

Yamaneko
07-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Meteos, Kirby Canvas Curse, Wario Ware Touched! Those are the only ones worth getting right now, but remember, DS owners will be getting a new Super Mario Bros. title in the fall, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, that one surgery game, and many more original titles. :D Down the line I don't see any PSP games that look original. These are all just PS2 ports. The much anticipated Coded Arms for the PSP was a big disappointment and the GTA for the PSP is nothing new.

I just like where Nintendo is heading. All they want for their system is games. Why should a handheld be five things in one? I don't have time to watch movies when I'm out and about. To each his or hew own, though.

Rase
07-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Even without mods, all of DS's games blow ass and PSP still has awesome games. MGA, Lumines, Hot Shots, WipEout, Untold Legends, and more on the way. *cough* GTA: Liberty City Stories *cough*

Nintendo DS Game List. (http://www.nintendo.com/gamecategory?start=21&oord=asc&osort=title&sort=&cmd=prev&toggle=&tf=&cf=&sf=Nintendo+DS&ef=&rf=&pf=)

And may I just say that the Age of Empires II: Age of Kings (http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=1531af0d-f130-4b4f-ada0-f8281f86dd7a&) has me pretty excited, although it sounds a little odd in the new direction it's going.

Cloud No.9
07-02-2005, 09:23 PM
nintendo will always always have superior developer supprt than sony (nintendo really). the psp has alot of flaws.

battery life. too short. no handheld system with a short battery life has ever survived.

the format. it makes no sense. why buy a film in umd format? would you not be better with it on dvd? same with music? it seems nonsensical to buy a film or music on a different format (or both).

Lionx
07-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Wow nice a Boy and his Blob..such a classic..

ljkkjlcm9
07-03-2005, 03:43 AM
actually I heard the PSP had this problem where it accident ejected the Discs at random... haha stupid Sony, make sure your system works well before releasing it

THE JACKEL

The Time Assassin
07-03-2005, 04:04 AM
nintendo will always always have superior developer supprt than sony (nintendo really). the psp has alot of flaws.

battery life. too short. no handheld system with a short battery life has ever survived.

the format. it makes no sense. why buy a film in umd format? would you not be better with it on dvd? same with music? it seems nonsensical to buy a film or music on a different format (or both).

Oh yes, 3rd party support. Maybe that is why GCN gets so many great 3rd party games and Sony and M$ don't get anything. Oh wait, that is the OPPOSITE!

That battery remark is such bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. My battery has NEVER RUN OUT, and I take the thing on 6 hour car trips and leave it on for days straight. So don't even give me /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif about a console that you (most likely) don't own.

And you don't buy music on UMDs, you download it and put it on your memory stick; plus you can do it with movies too.

Conclusion: DON'T TALK ABOUT A SYSTEM YOU DON'T OWN!!

SomethingBig
07-03-2005, 04:15 AM
Even without mods, all of DS's games blow ass and PSP still has awesome games.

Wow, you definitely don't do that, Time Assassin. :rolleyes2

Yeah, Wario Ware Touched is just Mario. So is Metroid Prime: Hunters and, not to mention, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent. Did I mention Kirby's Canvas Curse? Of course I did! Because that's Mario, too! You know what ELSE is Mario? The new and first original Lunar sequel to come out in a long time for the DS, of course! Age of Empires? PFFT! All of those empires are Mario! FF: CC? That's not Final Fantasy! It's Mario! And Guilty Gear? You guessed it! Mario! Why, with all these Marios going around in the DS, how is it supposed to be better than the PSP. Guess we were wrong. :( I mean, it's not like the PSP does anything innovative, new, or original. But who cares about that crap! It's all about graphics and stealing cars, nowadays!

The Time Assassin
07-03-2005, 04:21 AM
Even without mods, all of DS's games blow ass and PSP still has awesome games.

Wow, you definitely don't do that, Time Assassin. :rolleyes2

Yeah, Wario Ware Touched is just Mario. So is Metroid Prime: Hunters and, not to mention, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent. Did I mention Kirby's Canvas Curse? Of course I did! Because that's Mario, too! You know what ELSE is Mario? The new and first original Lunar sequel to come out in a long time for the DS, of course! Age of Empires? PFFT! All of those empires are Mario! FF: CC? That's not Final Fantasy! It's Mario! And Guilty Gear? You guessed it! Mario! Why, with all these Marios going around in the DS, how is it supposed to be better than the PSP. Guess we were wrong. :( I mean, it's not like the PSP does anything innovative, new, or original. But who cares about that crap! It's all about graphics and stealing cars, nowadays!

I got a DS the night it came out.

MP Hunters sucks smurfing ass, as does Goldeneye.

PS- If you don't believe me, I can post a pic of myself with both my DS and PSP.

SomethingBig
07-03-2005, 05:39 AM
MP Hunters sucks smurfing ass
That's true, considering the fact that it hasn't even come out yet.

The Time Assassin
07-03-2005, 02:03 PM
MP Hunters sucks smurfing ass
That's true, considering the fact that it hasn't even come out yet.

Have you played the demo that came with DS? Most worthless POS on Earth. And I guess you don't read EGM either, they played the finished version of MPH and gave it a "Terrible"

Multiplayer MP = teh suck

07-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Yeah...i never used to like nintendo games. I mean, take their "classic" super mario brothers: Why the hell are two fat middle aged plummers saving the world against tortoises?

But the games on the DS do look good....

The Time Assassin
07-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Too bad the PSP games look better...

SomethingBig
07-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Have you played the demo that came with DS?
2-3 levels of multiplayer from a demo definitely = the final result. And yeah, I have played it. Exactly what did EGM say about it? IGN seems to be pleased with it. Even if you don't like MP: H, there are still lots of good games for the DS that are far superior to PSP games. A MGS card strategy game? That's definitely better and much more original than Kirby: Canvas Curse. GTA? That hasn't been done before! Bottom line is that the DS actually does something original.

Let's put that in bold and bigger font.
The DS does something original.

The Time Assassin
07-03-2005, 04:45 PM
2-3 levels of multiplayer from a demo definitely = the final result. And yeah, I have played it. Exactly what did EGM say about it? IGN seems to be pleased with it. Even if you don't like MP: H, there are still lots of good games for the DS that are far superior to PSP games. A MGS card strategy game? That's definitely better and much more original than Kirby: Canvas Curse. GTA? That hasn't been done before! Bottom line is that the DS actually does something original.

I will have to scan the EGM snippet for you when I have time. How the hell can you call MGA unoriginal? It is probally the most original game currently out on PSP. As for the hardware...

...my PDA had a touch screen WAY BEFORE DS did.

Chzn8r
07-03-2005, 05:58 PM

I will have to scan the EGM snippet for you when I have time. How the hell can you call MGA unoriginal? It is probally the most original game currently out on PSP. As for the hardware...

Your PDA also doesn't have over 100 unique video games already slated for release by a mere 8 months into its lifetime.

Oh, and EGM can suck my left nut now, for those E3 grades. PSP got a B solely because a new GTA is coming out for it. Nevermind that few to no new titles were announced for it, and pretty much everything other than GTA falls far short of "Killer App". PSP had ~40 games to show at E3, DS had over 70.
The DS got a B+... when their future (and I'll name a few just released since E3) lineup contains stuff like Kirby Canvas Curse, Meteos, Bomberman, Guilty Gear, Viewtiful Joe, Black and White, Age of Empires, Nanostray, Mario and Luigi RPG, Lunar Dragon Song, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Animal Crossing Online, Mario Kart Online, Advance Wars, Metroid Prime Hunters, Need for Speed Most Wanted, The Sims 2, Shogun Warriors, Snowboard Kids, Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game, Secret of Mana game, Dragon Warrior Monsters game, Dragon Quest Slime game, Harvest Moon game, Katamari Damacy, the next Pokemon games, new Worms, Tony Hawk, and ... THE FIRST 2D MARIO PLATFORMER SINCE SUPER MARIO WORLD.

If you don't think the DS's lineup has the PSP entirely trumped with both first party and third party support, then you're completely blind. You may not like Nintendo trying something different, but the developers do, and they're all eager to try and take advantage of the touch screen, 2 screens, voice input, Wifi-Lan capabilities, and of course the 25 publishers that announced DS Online support at E3.

Shoden
07-03-2005, 06:17 PM
i'd go PSP for it has better multi media features and has a DVD player

sure you have to buy the DVD's but it's like having a movie player with you when your away from home

also theres Crisis Core and Advent Children

ZeZipster
07-03-2005, 06:35 PM

Your PDA also doesn't have over 100 unique video games already slated for release by a mere 8 months into its lifetime.

Oh, and EGM can suck my left nut now, for those E3 grades. PSP got a B solely because a new GTA is coming out for it. Nevermind that few to no new titles were announced for it, and pretty much everything other than GTA falls far short of "Killer App". PSP had ~40 games to show at E3, DS had over 70.
The DS got a B+... when their future (and I'll name a few just released since E3) lineup contains stuff like Kirby Canvas Curse, Meteos, Bomberman, Guilty Gear, Viewtiful Joe, Black and White, Age of Empires, Nanostray, Mario and Luigi RPG, Lunar Dragon Song, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Animal Crossing Online, Mario Kart Online, Advance Wars, Metroid Prime Hunters, Need for Speed Most Wanted, The Sims 2, Shogun Warriors, Snowboard Kids, Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game, Secret of Mana game, Dragon Warrior Monsters game, Dragon Quest Slime game, Harvest Moon game, Katamari Damacy, the next Pokemon games, new Worms, Tony Hawk, and ... THE FIRST 2D MARIO PLATFORMER SINCE SUPER MARIO WORLD.

If you don't think the DS's lineup has the PSP entirely trumped with both first party and third party support, then you're completely blind. You may not like Nintendo trying something different, but the developers do, and they're all eager to try and take advantage of the touch screen, 2 screens, voice input, Wifi-Lan capabilities, and of course the 25 publishers that announced DS Online support at E3.

Snowboard Kids!!?!??!
*WHEEZ**WHEEZ* *COUGH* *CHOKE* *DIE*

DJZen
07-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Well I guess that settles it.

PSP: Multimedia device

DS: Quirky gaming device

I think we can agree that it depends what application you want it for. I definitely know what I'd like.

AND PSP STILL SUCKS! :D

The Time Assassin
07-03-2005, 07:03 PM

Snowboard Kids!!?!??!
*WHEEZ**WHEEZ* *COUGH* *CHOKE* *DIE*

My PDA can play emulators... JUST LIKE MY PSP!

That is what? 1000s of games? I think SO.

BTW, 90% of those games don't even take advantage of the touch screen in any major way.

DS gets so much support because there are so many more 11 year olds that pay videogames.

PSP will get PLENTY of support once the PS3 comes out, seeing as it will feature tons of connectivity.

JaytodaP
07-03-2005, 07:08 PM
I got a DS for Christmas. It was cool at first, but then barely any GOOD games came out.(well, nothing that interests me.) Right now, I just use it as a GBA SP but Im pissed cuz I cant hook it into gamecube and play Crystal Chronicles. I should've waited for a PSP. I knew it was coming out. But a PSP is a tiny PS2. Its all of the same games, but you can take it anywhere. I would only use it for the MP3 player, Camera, and the games that hven't already come out on PS2. Can the PSP even play 2 player? I brought my DS into a restaurant with Mario and played the little kid behind me. I wooped his ass so bad that he started crying.

The Time Assassin
07-03-2005, 07:42 PM
I got a DS for Christmas. It was cool at first, but then barely any GOOD games came out.(well, nothing that interests me.) Right now, I just use it as a GBA SP but Im pissed cuz I cant hook it into gamecube and play Crystal Chronicles. I should've waited for a PSP. I knew it was coming out. But a PSP is a tiny PS2. Its all of the same games, but you can take it anywhere. I would only use it for the MP3 player, Camera, and the games that hven't already come out on PS2. Can the PSP even play 2 player? I brought my DS into a restaurant with Mario and played the little kid behind me. I wooped his ass so bad that he started crying.

PSP has Wi-fi and Infastructure mode for online multiplayer. I plan on trading my DS in for a GBA Micro.

SomethingBig
07-04-2005, 12:38 AM

BTW, 90% of those games don't even take advantage of the touch screen in any major way.

DS gets so much support because there are so many more 11 year olds that pay videogames.

PSP will get PLENTY of support once the PS3 comes out, seeing as it will feature tons of connectivity.
Yeah, thanks. NES, SNES, and Genesis games definitely make use of your PDA's touch screen.

90% of the games that do take advantage of the touch screen haven't come out yet.

Here's what it all boils down to:
PSP - Better graphics, useless stuff, like a movie and music player.
DS - Handy work of innovation. With its touch screen and microphone, many new worlds and possibilities have been opened. What we've seen in the first few months have just barely tapped into what Nintendo has in store for the DS.

The only reason the PSP is more popular than the DS is because it has better graphics and looks "cooler." But popularity isn't everything nowadays, kiddo. Sony vomits games out like a bulimic and some games are good, some are not. Nintendo, although shorter than Sony on games, usually dishes out innovative titles that tend to get overlooked because it's on the OMFG TEH KIDDY NINTENDO!

How the hell can you call MGA unoriginal? It is probally the most original game currently out on PSP.
You sure are right about that, kiddo.

The Time Assassin
07-04-2005, 01:51 AM

Yeah, thanks. NES, SNES, and Genesis games definitely make use of your PDA's touch screen.

90% of the games that do take advantage of the touch screen haven't come out yet.

Here's what it all boils down to:
PSP - Better graphics, useless stuff, like a movie and music player.
DS - Handy work of innovation. With its touch screen and microphone, many new worlds and possibilities have been opened. What we've seen in the first few months have just barely tapped into what Nintendo has in store for the DS.

The only reason the PSP is more popular than the DS is because it has better graphics and looks "cooler." But popularity isn't everything nowadays, kiddo. Sony vomits games out like a bulimic and some games are good, some are not. Nintendo, although shorter than Sony on games, usually dishes out innovative titles that tend to get overlooked because it's on the OMFG TEH KIDDY NINTENDO!

How the hell can you call MGA unoriginal? It is probally the most original game currently out on PSP.
You sure are right about that, kiddo.

Since when are portable music and movies useless? And the ability to surf the web and play emulators? DS seems pretty useless to me. And sadly, when the new GameBoy comes out, no one is going to give a flying fuck about DS any more, kiddo.

Chzn8r
07-04-2005, 02:06 AM
DS gets so much support because there are so many more 11 year olds that play games.

The largest gaming demographic is 18-34 year olds. Nintendo may own the 6-13 demographic (mostly with their Gameboys) but they don't barely dig in to the older age group *as much as Sony or Microsoft* (not to say they don't at all). That's why those companies sell more consoles, especially in the US.
However, the DS is changing that for Nintendo as it has already attracted an older average age than the typical Gameboy age- around 17 or 18 years old, which is a great move for Nintendo because it seperates who buys their Gameboys and who will buy the DS.

R.O.F.L. ROFFLE.

That's hilarious because... connectivity didn't do jack **** for Nintendo, and nearly EVERYONE has put them down for ever touting it as a fair gaming method (especially Sony and Microsoft fanboys). But now that Sony has a handheld and might have some features between the PSP and the PS3... it becomes cool? Will it earn Sony any more money or audience than it did for Nintendo? In your dreams.

And to who coughed at Snowboard Kids- whatever, that was a badass N64 game and there are more than enough people who'd like a new Snowboarding game besides the SSX series.

The Time Assassin
07-04-2005, 02:17 AM
However, the DS is changing that for Nintendo as it has already attracted an older average age than the typical Gameboy age- around 17 or 18 years old, which is a great move for Nintendo because it seperates who buys their Gameboys and who will buy the DS.

Oh yes, I know several 18 year olds that can't wait to play Nintendogs and Kirby!

ZeZipster
07-04-2005, 02:19 AM
Seriously... I watch Red vs Blue episodes on my PSP all the time when I get tired of my game selection. Sometimes I don't want to play videogames. Nintendo doesn't cater towards that prospect, and yet they're more innovative? I've seen watches that could play MP3s, why not a handheld? "OMFG TEH KIDDY NINTENDO!" is right. Nintendo designs their consoles for 8 year olds whom of course don't want to listen to music or watch videos.

Yamaneko
07-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Oh yes, I know several 18 year olds that can't wait to play Nintendogs and Kirby!
Yeah, like me! I guess that makes me a little fruity or something, huh?

Anyway, the whole console/handheld debate is pointless. One camp will scream innovation, while the other camp screams multimedia support. Just enjoy your damned system. It's pretty much impossible to say which handheld is superior, aside from a technical standpoint.

Erdrick Holmes
07-04-2005, 03:10 AM
I play the Nintendo handhelds mainly because of the Sonic the Hedgehog influence it has. Sonic Rush looks to be one of the coolest games ever.

DJZen
07-04-2005, 03:44 AM
I'm 22 and I'm psyched for Kirby. Sorry if I don't let things like the fanboy zeitgeist prevent me from enjoying awesome games.

ljkkjlcm9
07-04-2005, 03:51 AM
the only thing I have against the PSP that detracts me away from getting it right now is the movie feature... the fact that you pay an extra 100 dollars for a system for this feature, and then you have to buy the DVDs for it... I'd rather get a portable DVD player.

And as for the emulator thing being awesome... I'd like to note that you're playing all the old NINTENDO games, so don't say nintendo is crap. Sony wouldn't even exist if not for nintendo, in fact they were originally just going to be an addition to Nintendo, so whatever.

And well honestly, I've beaten all those old games a billion times, so the emulator doesn't do it for me either. SO the PSP has nothing that attracts me, while Nintendo has this innovation that can be used in all sorts of ways, and all the great titles I love soon to be released and wi-fi for multiplayer like mario kart, which will be huge for the DS.

OH, and if you want to look statistically, the DS is selling extremely well world wide, while the PSP isn't doing so hot...

THE JACKEL

SomethingBig
07-04-2005, 04:53 AM
Since when are portable music and movies useless? And the ability to surf the web and play emulators?
Because if I wanted something that did all that, I'd just get a laptop

The Time Assassin
07-04-2005, 05:33 AM
the only thing I have against the PSP that detracts me away from getting it right now is the movie feature... the fact that you pay an extra 100 dollars for a system for this feature, and then you have to buy the DVDs for it... I'd rather get a portable DVD player.

And as for the emulator thing being awesome... I'd like to note that you're playing all the old NINTENDO games, so don't say nintendo is crap. Sony wouldn't even exist if not for nintendo, in fact they were originally just going to be an addition to Nintendo, so whatever.

And well honestly, I've beaten all those old games a billion times, so the emulator doesn't do it for me either. SO the PSP has nothing that attracts me, while Nintendo has this innovation that can be used in all sorts of ways, and all the great titles I love soon to be released and wi-fi for multiplayer like mario kart, which will be huge for the DS.

OH, and if you want to look statistically, the DS is selling extremely well world wide, while the PSP isn't doing so hot...

THE JACKEL

Actually, I am playing Genesis right now. But OLD Nintendo games are pure gold. Games like FFIV-VI, CT, SM, and LttP all pwn any game on the market today. Nintendo has gone to hell.

BTW, you can put FREE movies on the memory stick. (b'_')b

Cloud No.9
07-04-2005, 11:32 AM
just to clear something up. my point about nintendo's developer support was that nintendo have the best first party developer support by a country mile. nintendo have a habit of not making a bad game too easily (can't name a bad nintendo game off the top of my head). and they do that at a phenomenal rate.

and one must remember that the DS is not a sequel to the GBA or a replacement for the gameboy series.

KentaRawr!
07-04-2005, 01:49 PM
This is seriously getting stupid... >_<

The Time Assassin
07-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Foolish Nintendo fanboys can't see that their company is dying@!

Endless
07-04-2005, 05:29 PM
True, they only sold 5 millions units by last March. Also in Japan:

Units sold
June 6th-12th/Year Total
DS 32,765 / 972,202
PS2 27,741 / 987,120
PSP 21,476 / 915,416
GBASP 8,522 / 338,180
GC 2,558 / 114,961
GBA 623 / 11,594
Xbox 131 / 7,360

32k DSs sold when Sony sold only 21k PSPs? Nintendo is dying!

June 13 - 19, 2005
Nintendo DS - 31,376
PlayStation 2 - 25,526
PSP - 20,416
Game Boy Advance SP - 9,727
GameCube - 2,183
Game Boy Advance - 475
Xbox - 150

Still only outsolding the PSP by 11k units. Nintendo is agonizing now!

June 20 - 26, 2005
Nintendo DS - 32,789
PS2 - 28,515
Game Boy Advance SP - 21,904
PSP - 20,862
GameCube - 2,649
Game Boy Advance - 452
Xbox - 184

Do I need to comment? The SP outsold the PSP. Nintendo is dead!

Shoden
07-04-2005, 05:39 PM
if this continues Nintendo will end up like SEGA did as Nintendo don't have near as much money as the PSP

the PSP is a gaming and multi media device it is on the good side of square enix (AC and CC) instead of taking a port DVD gaming system mp3 player on holliday or travels you can take the PSP which is practically a hand help PS2 with mp3's MEdia and stuff.

i don't like the DS so much that damn touch screen thing will make my eyes screw (not that tetris already done that XD) i don't mean offence people i'm just stating my points of view why i'll go PSP and not DS

The Time Assassin
07-04-2005, 06:15 PM

Units sold
June 6th-12th/Year Total
DS 32,765 / 972,202
PS2 27,741 / 987,120
PSP 21,476 / 915,416
GBASP 8,522 / 338,180
GC 2,558 / 114,961
GBA 623 / 11,594
Xbox 131 / 7,360

June 13 - 19, 2005
Nintendo DS - 31,376
PlayStation 2 - 25,526
PSP - 20,416
GameCube - 2,183
Game Boy Advance - 475
Xbox - 150

June 20 - 26, 2005
Nintendo DS - 32,789
PS2 - 28,515
PSP - 20,862
GameCube - 2,649
Game Boy Advance - 452
Xbox - 184

SP and DS only had a 5 month head start on the PSP.

Sephex
07-04-2005, 06:18 PM

It does that stuff half-assed, though. I like the PSP, but I like it for what it does legaly.

Foolish Nintendo fanboys can't see that their company is dying@!

And your not a fan boy how? Your bias is incredibly obvious. People like you have no business playing video games.

BECAUSE WE ALL MUST PLAY FPS GAMES AND PS PRODUCTS TO BE HARDCOOOORRRREEE!!!!!!! AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGH!!HH!H!!H!!!!!1111

Endless
07-04-2005, 06:35 PM

In weekly/yearly figures (which do not account the sales in 2004, year in which both consoles were released in Japan), where does the head start matter?

Besides, the SP was first released in Japan on Dec 4th, 2004, and the PSP on Dec 12th, 2004. It's a one week head start. Failed math or just trying to bs me? Even if we were to take the US launch for the DS, it was released on... Nov 20th. That's 4 weeks.

ljkkjlcm9
07-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Nintendo is not dying, in fact, they rule the portable market and so far every competetor has died, so SONY said let's make this thing a multimedia device as well, cause it's the only way we'll survive in the portable market, and sure enough, that is the reason it is surviving.

The only company that's really hurting in the gamin world is Microsoft. Believe it or not. Nintendo makes money everytime they sell something, Microsoft actually lost money with every X-Box they sold because they had to drop their price low enough to even compete.

Either way, there is no better portable system really, it's all about what games you want. AND, as much as I'm looking forward to Advent Children, the fact that they're going to release it as a DVD eventually gives me reason enough to not care that it's on the PSP.

And as for the head start, what does that have to do with anything? That should mean that the DS would be losing because it had been out longer and most people who wanted it already had it, but no, it continues to outsell everything week after week.

THE JACKEL

07-04-2005, 07:51 PM
i think hes referring to great britain?

Nintendo is not dying, in fact, they rule the portable market and so far every competetor has died, so SONY said let's make this thing a multimedia device as well, cause it's the only way we'll survive in the portable market, and sure enough, that is the reason it is surviving.

Sony have released a portable console before?

Maxico
07-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Hmm, don't you find it funny that all the people who says that PSP is a waste of money don't actualy own one.

On the other hand people who attack the DS don't own one either.

Besides your points are moronic.

Originality? If somebody pukes on a fish and wraps it oatmeal, thats original and inventive. I don't really want to touch it now do I? Just because it has both a touch screen AND games doesn't mean that anybody else gives a damn.

Multimedia support? Not everybody wan'ts to pay an extra £100 to watch movies on trains. If they just want to buy a handheld dedicated to games, let them.

No amount of antagonising over sales or the companys target audience is going to change anything. Its simply down to the customers personal preferences.

You people all seem happy with the handheld you have brought, why not just leave it at that.

Cloud No.9
07-04-2005, 08:19 PM
i doubt he was refering to great britian as the PSP isn't out here yet and isn't due for a while. the DS however is out and has been for a month or two.

to not own a psp os not the problem here. i generally don't like the idea of it. films are for watching on the sofa. with a beer. with a nice large widescreen and surround sound. not on some smelly train sorrounded by drunks. that's just the way i like things. i like my battery life nice and long. so i can go on a camping trip for a week. play it as a please then still have enough charge to sit around while everyone else is unpacking. i don't play my DS at home. that's what i have a ps2 for (not a nintendo fan boy). and i'm confused. films aren't coming out on the umd format but advent children is? either films will be coming out on an altogether different format or they aren't. if they are it's a silly idea. you cannot rival dvd for a video format right now (unless it's HD). the UMD format in this respect has a greatly uncertain future.

Chzn8r
07-04-2005, 11:30 PM

Units sold
June 6th-12th/Year Total
DS 32,765 / 972,202
PS2 27,741 / 987,120
PSP 21,476 / 915,416
GBASP 8,522 / 338,180
GC 2,558 / 114,961
GBA 623 / 11,594
Xbox 131 / 7,360

June 13 - 19, 2005
Nintendo DS - 31,376
PlayStation 2 - 25,526
PSP - 20,416
GameCube - 2,183
Game Boy Advance - 475
Xbox - 150

June 20 - 26, 2005
Nintendo DS - 32,789
PS2 - 28,515
PSP - 20,862
GameCube - 2,649
Game Boy Advance - 452
Xbox - 184

What does the Gameboy Advance SP have to do with this? It was released in early 2003.

The PSP has only been out a week shorter time in Japan than the DS. The DS started out outselling it by an extreme amount, then for pretty much January and February the PSP gained a slight lead. All of a sudden, Nintendo started getting all these games while the PSP wasn't getting crap, Nintendo regained the lead in March and has been running away with it for 4 months. This year they're ahead of the PSP by a few hundred thousand now, and overall it's ahead by a few million. The DS has had a successful launch and sustaining sales run in Japan, US, Europe, and Australia, while the PSP is only really competing with it in the US (launched over 3 months ago, losing steam) and Sony hasn't even gotten the PSP to Europe yet, where Nintendo broke records all over with the DS's launch.

And you didn't even address half the statements in my previous post, choosing only to say (with what basis?) that no teenager would play Kirby or NintenDogs. Umm, most teenagers now grew up on games, Kirby has been a very popular platformer franchise for 15 years, and both reviews (all 20-30+ years old usually) have been hailing that, Meteos, NintenDogs, etc... as fantastic.

ljkkjlcm9
07-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Hmm, don't you find it funny that all the people who says that PSP is a waste of money don't actualy own one.

On the other hand people who attack the DS don't own one either.

Besides your points are moronic.

Originality? If somebody pukes on a fish and wraps it oatmeal, thats original and inventive. I don't really want to touch it now do I? Just because it has both a touch screen AND games doesn't mean that anybody else gives a damn.

Multimedia support? Not everybody wan'ts to pay an extra £100 to watch movies on trains. If they just want to buy a handheld dedicated to games, let them.

No amount of antagonising over sales or the companys target audience is going to change anything. Its simply down to the customers personal preferences.

You people all seem happy with the handheld you have brought, why not just leave it at that.

dude, you're one of those liberals that always says... can't we all just get along... but seriously there's nothing wrong with a good fun argument. Nobody is getting hurt or anything it's just a bunch of people speaking their minds

THE JACKEL

Lionx
07-05-2005, 03:44 AM
I think it was more that one side spitted out too much misinformation and bias..if you are going to debate at least get facts straight D:

Shlup
07-05-2005, 07:38 AM
I just put like 30 NES games on my PSP so I'm officially a whore for it. Other emulators for it haven't been released (at least not models that function very well) but they will be. Some people say it's dumb to get a PSP for old games if you don't like the new ones (I only have Lumines for it) but I'd rather get unlimited old games for free than pay $50 for a new one so meh. And I listen to music and read manga and watch movies on it.

I'm a PSP whore. I admit it. I've fallen in love with the beast.

Meat Puppet
07-05-2005, 08:15 AM
can handheld consoles give out colour yet?

Lionx
07-05-2005, 08:19 AM
can handheld consoles give out colour yet?
Even better it gives seizures now :excited:

Meat Puppet
07-05-2005, 08:30 AM
That's definately more bang for your buck!

SomethingBig
07-06-2005, 04:12 AM
Peaceplzkthx
Cuz debates are fun, of course! What's the point of messageboards without a few arguments going on?

Maxico
07-06-2005, 12:26 PM
I would agree if this wasn't just a rehash of the last 3 or so PSP vs DS topics. Don't get me wrong, I love a good argument but this has been done so many times before and it never gets anywhere.

SomethingBig
07-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Oh, I wasn't here for those. So yeah, I agree with you now.

The Time Assassin
07-08-2005, 12:57 AM

In weekly/yearly figures (which do not account the sales in 2004, year in which both consoles were released in Japan), where does the head start matter?

Besides, the SP was first released in Japan on Dec 4th, 2004, and the PSP on Dec 12th, 2004. It's a one week head start. Failed math or just trying to bs me? Even if we were to take the US launch for the DS, it was released on... Nov 20th. That's 4 weeks.

But when were GBA games first released?

Rase
07-08-2005, 01:09 AM
According to the GBA site, the first game for the GBA was GT Advance Championship Racing, released June 1, 2001.

Info (http://www.gameboyadvance.com/gamelist?start=1&oord=asc&osort=title&sort=rd&cmd=&toggle=null&cf=&ef=)

The Time Assassin
07-08-2005, 03:24 AM
According to the GBA site, the first game for the GBA was GT Advance Championship Racing, released June 1, 2001.

Info (http://www.gameboyadvance.com/gamelist?start=1&oord=asc&osort=title&sort=rd&cmd=&toggle=null&cf=&ef=)

Well, that only gives GBA a 3 year head start on PSP. And I wonder why it has more sales...

Kawaii Ryûkishi
07-08-2005, 03:34 AM
I imagine Endless was confusing "SP" with "DS" there.

The Time Assassin
07-08-2005, 04:05 AM

o_O

I was talking about the sales figures that the other user posted. Even though it does seem odd in his post...

Endless
07-08-2005, 08:57 AM

Yes. I meant to type DS.

And personally, I find it amazing that the SP can outsell the PSP after three years.

GooeyToast
07-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Cause the SP is cheap and the PSP is for people who can afford it.

Mainly, 20yr olds & such.