PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Fusion or Metroid Zero Mission?

KentaRawr!
06-28-2005, 06:05 PM
A short while ago, I got Metroid Prime and a Controller for $13.20, and I had enough money left over to get a used GBA Game. I decided I would get a Metroid Game. But, there are 2 Metroid Games for the GBA. Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission. I saw a Video of Metroid Zero Mission, and it looks great! But I saw a few Pictures of Metroid Fusion, and it looks really good too. I heard that Zero Mission is short, but I have also heard that Fusion is quite Linear.

So, I was wondering...

Metroid Fusion or Metroid Zero Mission?

Here is a Video of Metroid: Zero Mission. Couldn't find one for Metroid Fusion.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=2274&type=wmv

Edit: Since my Sister said I should get Fusion, I voted "Metroid Fusion".

ljkkjlcm9
06-28-2005, 06:38 PM
well it all depends really.

Zero Mission is the very first Metroid game ever except redone with better graphics and a little added after the original ending. AND i believe when you beat it you can play the original version. Metroid Fusion is a brand new game. I believe if you have a gameboy player though and hook it up with Metroid Prime, you unlock the original metroid on your Metroid Prime game... that also happens when you beat Metroid Prime too, i think.

Either game is really good though. if you've never played the original metroid, I'd go with zero mission, it's fun. Fusion is good too, but stick with the original...

THE JACKEL

Shoeberto
06-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Actually, you hook it up to Prime using the GBA-GC link cable, not the GB player.

I also vote for Zero Mission. It feels a lot more like a Metroid game. And both of them are of equal length, so you don't have to worry too much about it.

Fusion is great and good and all, but it's too linear. There isn't as much exploring as the others.

KentaRawr!
06-28-2005, 07:50 PM
well it all depends really.

Zero Mission is the very first Metroid game ever except redone with better graphics and a little added after the original ending. AND i believe when you beat it you can play the original version. Metroid Fusion is a brand new game. I believe if you have a gameboy player though and hook it up with Metroid Prime, you unlock the original metroid on your Metroid Prime game... that also happens when you beat Metroid Prime too, i think.

Either game is really good though. if you've never played the original metroid, I'd go with zero mission, it's fun. Fusion is good too, but stick with the original...

THE JACKEL

Actually, you use a GBA to Gamecube Link Cable. Also, you can unlock a new suit for Samus in Metroid Prime by using the GBA-GC Cable.

DJZen
06-28-2005, 08:01 PM
I liked Fusion better. Zero Mission was exactly like the original only with all the challenge taken out.

omnitarian
06-28-2005, 08:26 PM
I prefer Zero Mission "just a smidge" more, but they're both well worth it.

KentaRawr!
06-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Even though Metroid Fusion is winning in this poll, I have decided to get Metroid Zero Mission.

Sorry to make such a useless topic. >_<

Chzn8r
06-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Noooooo!

Metroid Fusion is great, Zero Mission is the worst in the series (not downright BAD but low-caliber next to the rest) >_> It's way to short, has a disappointing ending, has even *less* exploration than Fusion by comparison, and it holds your hand (like, save/heal/SHOW YOU EXACTLY WHERE TO GO ALWAYS stations around every corner).
Fusion has a TON of exploring at the end if you don't shoot off to the final bosses. There are 2 connectors to other sectors in each one, and a whole load of things to collect. So if you can sit through the actually interesting plot applied to the semi-linear but very true Metroid game for the larger portion of the game, you are given free reign to do whatever the hell you want later. And with 6 distinctly different areas (standard space-station style, jungle, fire/desert, water, ice, nocturnal/cave), going between all of them is still quite enjoyable.

You're hearing this from a huge Metroid fan who owns and has beaten every Metroid game multiple times, if there's ever a direct comparison between 2 of them I know how to handle it.

And the hook-ups to Metroid Prime are great. The original Metroid (albeit that's available upon beating Zero Mission) and the ability to wear the slick Fusion Suit anywhere in Prime.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-30-2005, 07:12 AM
Fusion is the worst Metroid game by far. Except for one part near the end of the game, it completely lacked the type of free exploration that distinguishes the series. Throughout the game, it was made absolutely impossible to progress in any way except by using the particular route the programmers intended. Exploratory abilities like the wall jump and bomb jump were crippled to remove the possibility of sequence-breaking, and even if you worked with what you had to somehow get to an area you weren't supposed to, there was no getting around the fact that certain doors remained locked until you had progressed the storyline to the point where they were intended to open.

Samus was required to check up with her supervisor every five minutes to receive precise orders for the next five minutes; if it was your first time playing, this mostly destroyed the sense of wonder and discovery you're supposed to get out of the environments in a Metroid game. If it wasn't your first time playing, the fact that you can't skip these sequences slowed the game's pace unbearably.

Zero Mission, on the other hand, completely redeemed Fusion's programmers and brought hope back to the future of the series. The wall jump and bomb jump were restored, as was the sequence-breaking; the amount of routes to take through the game was comparable to that of Super Metroid. There was still some hand-holding left over from Fusion, but except for one part near the beginning of the game, it was completely optional. Also, instead of compromising the game's atmosphere with a lot of dialogue, the clever, silent, purely visual storytelling style of Super Metroid was reprised. If Zero Mission were only longer and had slightly more detailed graphics, secret techniques like the Crystal Flash, and the option to select which of Samus's acquired abilities were turned on, I'd consider it equal to Super Metroid.

Chzn8r
06-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Hmmm... pretty convincing post- I'll admit there are many ways to beat Zero Mission, but you haven't seen Fusion sequence-broken yet (http://www.metroid2002.com/fusion), or more specifically the developer's treat to the most hardcore of all sequence breakers (http://www.metroid2002.com/fusion/other_secret_message.php) if you think it's forced-linearity. There are a lot more tricks in that game than you'd expect. Both 1% and 100% games can be done very quickly, despite the story sequences.

And Fusion *does* have atmosphere, it comes from a combination of the environments (as in all Metroids), some darker music, and of course key story points where you just know "OH @#$%, something has just gone TERRIBLY WRONG!"

In my eyes, the only way Zero Mission could've been a great game would've been to combine the difficulty and complete non-linearity of the original Metroid with upgrade controls/graphics and of course the extra areas. Not such a reworking that turns the original 'adventure' into a 'chore'.

Also, I just wanted to note, if we really want to talk about sequence breaking and which Metroid games DON'T have it... look no further than the PAL/Player's Choice version of Metroid Prime, and both versions of Metroid Prime 2 (moreso the PAL). Retro, not Nintendo (the 2D Metroid developer) is the one that hates sequence breakers and does everything they can to stop them.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-30-2005, 08:52 AM
you haven't seen Fusion sequence-broken yet (http://www.metroid2002.com/fusion)I made reference to that. Even the best sequence-breakers could only make minor progress before getting trapped by locked doors.
or more specifically the developer's treat to the most hardcore of all sequence breakers (http://www.metroid2002.com/fusion/other_secret_message.php)if you think it's forced-linearity.That shinespark thing has always impressed me, but still, one obscure trick doesn't negate the norm seen in the rest of the game.
And Fusion *does* have atmosphere, it comes from a combination of the environments (as in all Metroids), some darker music, and of course key story points where you just know "OH @#$%, something has just gone TERRIBLY WRONG!"I agree. It's just that the stuff I mentioned goes a long way toward messing it all up.
Also, I just wanted to note, if we really want to talk about sequence breaking and which Metroid games DON'T have it... look no further than the PAL/Player's Choice version of Metroid Prime, and both versions of Metroid Prime 2 (moreso the PAL). Retro, not Nintendo (the 2D Metroid developer) is the one that hates sequence breakers and does everything they can to stop them.Definitely, man. It blows my mind that a group of people capable of making such great Metroid games can not understand how important sequence-breaking is to how enjoyable they are. Unlike the makers of Fusion, though, they always mess up and overlook a few loopholes, so the sequence-breaking remains despite their intentions.

Chzn8r
06-30-2005, 09:02 AM
Ok, ok, points taken. I just always want to vent on Metroid Zero Mission because it's honestly the first time a Metroid game ever let me down (especially after being so hyped for a remake of the original).

And yeah, Retro programmers are really lazy (or just don't have time/staff to playtest *everything*), it always takes them until the PAL releases (months later) to fix all their bugs, but they still don't even catch them all. Gotta love that.

Oh and speaking of that, when Prime 2 came out (I'd just gotten off my own high with speed-running Metroid Prime), I was like "OK... Retro did it... no one is breaking this game." Especially since the first "tricks" found were just glitches (like the whole Floaty Jump thing) but apparently quite a bit has been worked out in the last 7 months and they already have it down to 2:25 (on Hard even... damn these guys are good!)

KentaRawr!
06-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Awesome. Zero Mission is winning. n_n

boys from the dwarf
07-10-2005, 09:28 PM
just get both and if you dont have the money, save up and get both.

Markus. D
07-11-2005, 01:47 AM
ive only tested a little of metroid fusion but have played ALOT more of zero mission

ooooh it is awesome... get zero mission

Lindy
07-11-2005, 02:34 AM
It is a bit stupid to talk about a Metroid game being the "worst", when in general terms as a series they're leaps and bounds ahead and away from any other adventure game.

Oh and for more proof on how Retro dislike sequence breaking, try comparing a copy of Metroid Prime NTSC/U, PAL and then a Player's Choice of any region.

All the tricks are there in Prime NTSC/U, several were removed for PAL (Like the Scan Dash and Track Jump, PAL users had to do a Triple Bomb Jump to get the Ice Beam early).

Now look at Player's Choice, it's basically like they went through Metroid2002 and just REMOVED EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE CHANCE OF SEQUENCE BREAKING THAT HAD BEEN DISCOVERED.

Seriously, pretty much all gone.

Prime 2, while not having so many small sequence breaking opportunities, has some glaringly huge ones, like completely skipping out the Dark Suit and Amorbis (heck, to complete the game you don't even need to return Energy to Agon, only Torvus and Sanctuary).

Anyway, probably Zero Mission.

Actually now I think about it, Zero Mission actually PROMOTES sequence breaking, since you get different endings for finishing the game quickly on lower percentages, I believe lower than 14 or 15%, which requires you to skip out a number of key items.

That said, Fusion gave the opportunity for the 1% game, which was quite a challenge.

Eh, I'd go for Zero Mission.