PDA

View Full Version : First Time Playing through, Want to make the most of it

BadassToenail
06-29-2005, 06:38 AM
Hey all, a few days ago, I started playing FF7 for the second time (the first time I only got to a bit passed the Boat at Junon, and then stopped playing), and firstly, I'd like to say that this game is absoloutely incredible. I've been playing games since i was 5, played numerous other Final Fantasies and RPG's, but I must say that this one is mind-bogglyingly awesome. Every single detail of the game so far has been honed down to the highest level of perfection. The environments, dialogue, characters, storyline/plot, the way things unravel, the battle system, everything is just amazing.

I know I sound like every noob in the country that play FF7 and it's the first RPG they ever play and they rave about it because of all the hype, but I just love this game.

Now that I've gotten that quasi-fanboyish speech out of the way, I'll get to the point. Because this game is probably going to tie with Metal Gear Solid 3, and Zelda: Ocarina of Time as my favourite games of all time, I want to make the most out of it the first time I play through. Just like Roger Ebert said, "You can only watch a movie for the first time once", well, it applies to video games as well. Granted, I've already heard a few spoilers (like aeris dieing, but noone hasn't heard that, and something about cloud being a clone of that purpe haired zach guy or something), but I'd like to keep them to a minimum in this topic.

The bottom line is: From where I am at (currently just booted out of the Golden Saucer, which sucks cuz that placed kicked ass for the 3 minutes i was there, because Barret went nuts on the place), can some of you experienced FF7 players tell me certain things (without spoiling it remember) that I really have to make an effort to do (for example, i didnt do that big fort condor fight thingy earlier, will that affect a big part of the story? I read in a FAQ when i was searching for stuff like this that it does)?

I also heard that there is some part in the game that if you go back to a town you just left, you get a special cutscene that explains extra about Zach and Cloud, i dunno if thats bs or not, but you could just confirm stuff like this with a yes/no.

Thanks for reading this, and thanks in advance to whoever helps me with it. I really, really like this game, and I want to make it the absoloute best it could possibly be without accidentally reading a bunch of spoilers.

PS: just for future reference, I already got Yuffie

-N-
06-29-2005, 06:54 AM
Don't read FAQs. Just go through it on your own as you would. Don't get caught up in sidequests - as Roger Ebert said, you can only watch a movie once, so your first time through should be spent entirely engrossed in the storyline of the game, as that is what will make it truly memorable. That's my approach to games, at least.

Khimbar2775
06-29-2005, 03:18 PM
Another thing, like when I first played it, Do as -N- said and just do waht feels comfortable. As for that extracut-scene if you revisit a town, Revisit Nibelheim in Disc Two. and always ALWAYS explore the extreme limits of every new vehicle you get! :D

boys from the dwarf
06-29-2005, 04:48 PM
if you get stuck use logic to help you out of it.no im not joking here because on one point in disk two i was stuck for 2.5 years trying to find the underwater item and then i thought about the continent and area that it would be in i found instantly and on that same afternoon i completed the game(i completed it because while i was stuck i trained to lvl 75+.)

Sephitachi7
06-29-2005, 05:15 PM
also don't tell anyone you are playing it. My friend did that and one of his friends told him what happens at the end of disc one (everyone that has played it knows what I'm talking about) and this totally ruins your gaming experience.

Dreddz
06-29-2005, 06:28 PM
i recommend being careful about wandering around these threads, as some people spil spoilers alot, and this game has alot and is a much better game without knowing the key moments
I also say you treasure the beginning of the game ( midgar ) as I think its the best part of any game ever...

BadassToenail
06-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah, Midgar was f**king sweet. The trains, the Kidnapping of Aeris and the destruction of that slum via the plate falling, the wall market place was really cool for some reason to me, and then of course the entire Shinra building rocked.

And yes, I'm being very careful even reading this thread due to spoilers. Oh and kimbar, I thought it would be Nibelheim that you have to revisit, thanks :D

-N-
06-29-2005, 08:05 PM
It might be Disc III, though - been a while, but I think I've always done it then. :\

Crop
06-29-2005, 08:32 PM
Granted, I've already heard a few spoilers (like aeris dieing, but noone hasn't

Well i perpously didnt become a member of this forum so i wouldnt find out things like that ages ago then when i compleated it everything was a surprise to me then i forgot about this forum for a while then i rememberd it and joined.

Levian
06-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Keep your eyes out for hyperactive ninjagirls, and silent vampire-looking gunmen.

BadassToenail
06-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Keep your eyes out for hyperactive ninjagirls, and silent vampire-looking gunmen.

lol, i already have my hyperactive ninjagirl, I'll be on the lookout for the Red-clad Pistoleer however