PDA

View Full Version : FF 1 & 2 Worth the Time?

beaglegod
06-29-2005, 06:40 AM
I own every FF game, as well as Xenogears , Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross BUT I never did buy FF Origins. So far Ive played FF 7,10, and Im about 60 hours into 8 (trying to do and see everything.....I realy need to just finish).

Anyway should I hunt down a copy of FF Origins? Since my experience has thus far been with the more recent square titles, do you guys think the storys and gameplay of the first 2 still have what it takes to hold a gamers interest?

Butz
06-29-2005, 08:31 AM
you wont regret it.... at least..

Captain Maxx Power
06-29-2005, 11:35 AM
FF2's worth it more than FF1, but they're both worth your time, all 120 collective hours of it.

Sasquatch
06-29-2005, 12:14 PM
120 hours?

I'd agree, they're both well worth the time. Experience the originals, the beginning.

nik0tine
06-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Get them. I was never a huge fan of FF2, but FF1 is great. I definetly recommend it.

Crossblades
06-29-2005, 04:21 PM
FF I is awesome. You'll love it

FF II is good too, but the leveling up system sort of ruined it.

boys from the dwarf
06-29-2005, 04:33 PM
i kinda agree with crossblde but i like the level system in FF2 not my favourite though.

Butz
06-29-2005, 04:50 PM
120 hours??

I finished both (on the NES) in less than 40 hours..

leveling in FFII is easier than FFI (again NES) FFI leveling up takes a long time.. I swear the game can be finished in 4-5 hours if it wasn't for the leveling up..

is the leveling up trick in FFII the NES version still exist in the PS version?

Aphelion
06-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Definitely. Go get them now!

I really liked FFI. The job system is wonderful, it has a good story (well, not "good", "standard" is the word) and a worth-to-listen-to soundtrack.

FFII is weird. I found it to be hard in the beggining, but after I had more than 7000 HP just training with the monsters in Fynn (I'm not so sure about the name of the town, but I think it's Fynn) it was a piece of cake. Yeah, I'm a level up freak.

Dreddz
06-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Every FF is worth your time, these 2 are probably the most unappealing, but are both great games

skystje
06-29-2005, 08:02 PM
If you can stand the 8 bit graphics and the 256 color pallete (I believe it was 256 colors) then yes they are VERY much worth playing.

DJZen
06-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Origins does NOT use 8 bit graphics or sound. It was completely re-drawn and composed for the playstation.

The games are wonderful, but if you only know the later additions to the series you'll probably hate them. That's always the way it goes.

Alexander
06-30-2005, 03:50 PM
FFI is totally worth it. FFII... well, you will like it, but FFI is just better o.o;

And... what's this leveling trick in FFII? XD

Captain Maxx Power
06-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Origins does NOT use 8 bit graphics or sound. It was completely re-drawn and composed for the playstation.

The games are wonderful, but if you only know the later additions to the series you'll probably hate them. That's always the way it goes.

I'll have you know I first played FF7 mister.

TurkSlayer
06-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Hmm, a lot of people seem to like FFI over FFII. I thought II was a much better than I, but maybe its just me. Anyway, yeah, its worth it.

Butz
06-30-2005, 07:32 PM
FFI is totally worth it. FFII... well, you will like it, but FFI is just better o.o;

And... what's this leveling trick in FFII? XD

hitting yourself and finishing the battle in low hp, will rise your hp limit, consume mp and you'll rise your mp limit..

and the most important is leveling up your weapons, attack, then cancel with the next character, then choose to attack with the first character, keep on doing it in the same battle until you level up.. :D this was in the NES version, dunno 'bout the PSX and GBA versions..

Sasquatch
06-30-2005, 08:32 PM
hitting yourself and finishing the battle in low hp, will rise your hp limit, consume mp and you'll rise your mp limit..

and the most important is leveling up your weapons, attack, then cancel with the next character, then choose to attack with the first character, keep on doing it in the same battle until you level up.. :D this was in the NES version, dunno 'bout the PSX and GBA versions..

You have to use MP in battle to raise your limit, right?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Yes, the select-cancel trick still works in Origins.

Mirage
06-30-2005, 11:12 PM
But not in the GBA version.

rubah
06-30-2005, 11:37 PM
For some reason I am the only one who likes ff2 better than ff1.

Play it.

Craig
06-30-2005, 11:42 PM
If you have a GBA, FF: Dawn of Souls is an option.

Butz
07-01-2005, 07:47 AM

You have to use MP in battle to raise your limit, right?

what was I thinking?? :confused:

I meant your max mp.. stupid me, I was so tired yesterday, I posted a stupid post, blah blah blah, execuses execuses :D

kids, don't write posts when you're about to go to sleep ;)

Snap Jumper
07-01-2005, 06:32 PM
and the most important is leveling up your weapons, attack, then cancel with the next character, then choose to attack with the first character, keep on doing it in the same battle until you level up.. this was in the NES version, dunno 'bout the PSX and GBA versions..

That isn't really necessary, though. Just keep fighting battles with whatever weapon, and do not switch to a new type of weapon. Eventually, that weapon will be much stronger. And, yes, it's in the Origins version.

Chzn8r
07-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Definitely get Origins, but not the defecations on the GBA.

Final Fantasy 1 is possibly the most replayable RPG in history, with over 400 possible parties (and depending on your party, the game can be as quick as 15 hours or as long as 40 or more)

Crossblades
07-01-2005, 06:55 PM

Final Fantasy 1 is possibly the most replayable RPG in history, with over 400 possible parties (and depending on your party, the game can be as quick as 15 hours or as long as 40 or more)

What's wrong with the GBA version?!!! :mad2:

GarlandRules
07-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Both FF1 and FF2 are worth your time because although they are completely different from each other, they both offer something different from the other games. FF1 offers a real classic experience (whether on NES or on Emulator). It allows you to either play through the game easily (Fighter, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage), give you a little more of a challange (Fighter, Monk, Thief, and White Mage/Black Mage), or it can seem impossible (White Mage). Instead of giving excellent gameplay FF2 specializes in plot basically. Learning the key terms and all of that is pretty original. It's just that the fighting is a little hard to catch onto but once you do it's really challenging. The GBA version is good but it just isn't the same as playing the originals.

beaglegod
07-02-2005, 03:43 AM
I managed to grab a new copy of origins It now sits upon a stack of RPGs I have yet to play, the misses and I just had a baby and she is seriously cutting in on my play time :mad2: The way I see it since I have yet to play FF I,II,IV,V,VI,IX and X-2 Im good till shes a teenager! :tongue:

On a side note anybody dig into Dragon Warrior VII? YEP thats on the stack too. What did ya think of it?

Del Murder
07-02-2005, 07:15 AM
I thought DWVII was pretty boring.

FFI and II are solid, but not like the other games.

Alexander
07-02-2005, 01:05 PM

What's wrong with the GBA version?!!! :mad2:

Difficulty nerfed.
Regular MP usage.
Turbo Level-Up.
Ship Mini Game that gives you a lot of good items in the beginning of game.
Prices nerfed down.

DoS FFI is freaking easy. TOO EASY.

Butz
07-02-2005, 01:14 PM
I think FF1 is a bit hard and items and equipments are too expensive, but that's just me..

DJZen
07-03-2005, 01:07 AM
The difficulty was toned down a lot for FFI in Dawn of Souls. You gain experience faster and items cost less. In addition, the location of items and stat raises at level up were changed. The only challenge in the game really is in the new dungeons, and they are very fun.

Aurora_sword
07-08-2005, 03:12 PM
FF I is awesome. You'll love it

FF II is good too, but the leveling up system sort of ruined it.

i think the level up system is actually the best, simple and clean and strikingly briliant

yes the story line in ff1 is kinda non existant but its worth a play. i only play the remade one though, dawn of souls for gba