PDA

View Full Version : Will Disney ever do it again?

Loony BoB
06-29-2005, 01:40 PM
All those huge movies that were made - be they Snow White, Aladdin or Lion King - will they ever be made again? Has the Disney era ended with the Lion King? It seems like it's been a really long time since Disney released a movie on a blockbuster scale, and although I do still love their movies, I do wonder if they'll ever release a song that grabs the world like they used to be able to do.

edczxcvbnm
06-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Maybe they will but part of the problem to me seems as though society wants to "grow up" and so people tend to avoid the cartoons more and more for some reason. That is just my perception though. I think it holds true to an extent when 11 year old kids are getting pregnant.

Doomie
06-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Yep, Lion King 3, Simba's genital herpes. It's one of those X-rated adult toons.

Disney ended with...Aladdin.

Rye
06-29-2005, 05:22 PM
All those huge movies that were made - be they Snow White, Aladdin or Lion King - will they ever be made again? Has the Disney era ended with the Lion King? It seems like it's been a really long time since Disney released a movie on a blockbuster scale, and although I do still love their movies, I do wonder if they'll ever release a song that grabs the world like they used to be able to do.

I miss those drawn movies. I dislike the new Computer Animated movies. Finding Nemo rocked and Toy Story did too, but the rest... awful. The magic is gone now that all those old animations are gone. I miss movies like Mulan and Beauty and the Beast. Now all the Disney movies are all gag-reels and "Oh my god, you're picking your nose! Haha!" type of movies. I miss the magic. :(

Finding Nemo was the only new Disney movie that had heart with a touch of cuteness and humour.

I'll say it ending around Toy Story 1, but Finding Nemo was an amazing movie.

Cz
06-29-2005, 05:28 PM
To be honest, there aren't many more 'magical' tales that Disney can do, having gone through most of the popular fairy tales and legends out there. Maybe that's why they've started creating original characters and have lost some of the magic.

If you ask me, they should do a modern-day Fantasia. It wouldn't have any sales appeal, but they could do some amazing things with modern technology.

Rye
06-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Oh, and I hate those Lizzie McGuire movies they do for Disney. Stop ruining the magic by hiring awful actresses, please? :)

theundeadhero
06-29-2005, 06:17 PM
I hope so. The chances are looking slimmer and slimmer but I like to think it's still possible. From what I've read in magazine articles, if that can be trusted, the current owner of Disney fell into the marketing hole which is why all those sequals and below average movies were made. They chose money over quality, which seems to be the wrong choice because if they chose quality they probably would have made more money.

I want the magic :(

Strider
06-29-2005, 06:31 PM
From what I've heard, Home on the Range will be the last traditionally animated movie that Disney will make. Compared to computer animation (such as the upcoming Chicken Little), traditional workings aren't as time- or cost-efficient. That, and anyone can see the declining numbers raked in from the last few they've cranked out. Not that they've been any good, but you know.

I'm pretty sure that Disney still doesn't have any renewed agreement with Pixar, which is why they're forging ahead with their own projects. Considering the successes of Toy Story and Finding Nemo and all those movies, it wasn't surprising to see them move in a different direction. It sucks, but it's the end of an era.

kikimm
06-29-2005, 07:37 PM
To be honest, there aren't many more 'magical' tales that Disney can do, having gone through most of the popular fairy tales and legends out there. Maybe that's why they've started creating original characters and have lost some of the magic.

I agree with this dude. I've actually been thinking about this for awhile. xD Personally, I'd love to see them do The Snow Queen/Tam Lin; I don't think they have before (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and I love that particular tale.

But they have run out of fairy tales. At least, the more popular ones. Maybe it does have something to do with society as well, I don't know.

It makes me sad all the same, because the old Disney movies are so good. I would like s`more. :)

:D

-N-
06-29-2005, 07:58 PM
I think Pixar is carrying that torch now. Disney is dust.

Zante
06-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Considering that disney movies are targeted at kids, and most kids prefer flashy graphic and action over story, It's not that surprising.

SeeDRankLou
06-29-2005, 08:48 PM
In my mind, Disney peaked with Beauty and the Beast. Yes, Aladin, The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, ect ect., they were all good, but not as good as Beauty and the Beast. There have been some good movies made by Pixar where Disney slaps its name on the movie (LOVE Finding Nemo), but I'm thinking those movies are all Pixar.

Dreddz
06-29-2005, 09:00 PM
They should make a Mickey Mouse movie, dont give them any ideas to remake Movies, how on earth would a remake of a cartoon make sense, making the Animation quality higher is the only real option they can do
But then again, Disney do everything twice
Parents Death etc

Odaisé Gaelach
06-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Isn't Disney now working with Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke)? I think it was Disney that submitted Spirited Away for the Best Foreign Film Oscar.

TheAbominatrix
06-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Disney just handles the localization for his films.

And whether they were blockbusters or not, I thought Mulan and Tarzan were amazing films. I dont know whats in the future for Disney, but I hope to see more like Mulan, Tarzan, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast.

Chris
06-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Beauty and the Beast is one of the best movies ever made.
Personally, I didn't care for the last couple of Disney movies, come on, who enjoyed "Brother Bear" or whatever it's called?

Shoden
06-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Pirates of the Caribean was excellent and that was disney wasn't it? Inspector Gadget (the first) was good but Disney should go into areas kids go the most eg gaming and anime even music

nik0tine
06-29-2005, 11:25 PM
If you ask me, they should do a modern-day Fantasia. It wouldn't have any sales appeal, but they could do some amazing things with modern technology.

http://www.haro-online.com/movies/fantasia2000.html

TheAbominatrix
06-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Pirates of the Caribean was excellent and that was disney wasn't it? Inspector Gadget (the first) was good but Disney should go into areas kids go the most eg gaming and anime even music

Yes, but we're talking more about their animated films. Disney has a LOT of live action films, and they do have their hands in gaming, the localization of anime, and music.

Shoden
06-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Disney should just take a look at modern times and the modern younger audience before shoveling nonsense

Del Murder
06-30-2005, 01:37 AM
Hard to top something like Lion King.

Lon611
06-30-2005, 01:40 AM
didn't mulan come after lion king?

neways, they always seem great when they've been out for awhile. so wait about 15 years, and tehy'll be classics like all the rest, imho.

Miriel
06-30-2005, 02:03 AM
Lilo and Stitch was the most recent Disney movie that I loved. But even that was 3 years ago. I'm sure that Disney will pull themselves out of their current slump, but I doubt that they'll never be as good or as powerful as they once were.

Rainecloud
06-30-2005, 07:32 AM
It looks like the remakes are on their way.

Beauty and the Beast - in 3D mode. "Put on those 3D glasses and get ready for the ride of your life! It almost feels like you're really dancing with the Beast!"

Shlup
06-30-2005, 08:17 AM
I think they're just less magical because we've outgrown them. Mulan was freakin' great.

Silmaril
06-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Disney has made good stuff recently (i think) but Lion King 2 and and LK 2 1/2 were reeeeally stupid.

Rye
06-30-2005, 02:55 PM
It looks like the remakes are on their way.

Beauty and the Beast - in 3D mode. "Put on those 3D glasses and get ready for the ride of your life! It almost feels like you're really dancing with the Beast!"

Ugh, the thought of that makes me sad. :(

theundeadhero
06-30-2005, 05:47 PM
I just want to put out that ICP's Great Milenko CD was put out under Disney's record label.

TheAbominatrix
06-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Disney has always been making bad sequels and side stories and just random animated films. As long as they dont release crap for the 'summer blockbuster' (like that Home on the Range film), I'm good.

eestlinc
07-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Studio Ghibli.

Also, yes Fantasia 2000.

what about Herbie: Fully Loaded? Isn't that Disney?

TheAbominatrix
07-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Yes it is.

Rye
07-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Studio Ghibli.

Also, yes Fantasia 2000.

what about Herbie: Fully Loaded? Isn't that Disney?

Ugh, Hilary Duff is a bad enough actress. Now they need a girl who can't even eat let alone act? :/

boris no no
07-05-2005, 03:33 PM
the last great was beauty and the beats. my favourite one of all time.
as possibly the biggest disney fan on this website ( xD ) i think that they've all been good but they truely havn't been as they were :( i mean home on the range was funny...but just lacked all that is needed for a great.
i really hope they do another in the same disney princess style. those are the ones i love best! xD

DMKA
07-05-2005, 04:03 PM
I think they're just less magical because we've outgrown them. Mulan was freakin' great.
This is correct.