PDA

View Full Version : Ways in which Dragon Quest/Warrior is cooler than FF

DJZen
06-30-2005, 06:33 AM
Oh come on, you know you want to! Go ahead, list a few!

Lon611
06-30-2005, 06:38 AM
i've never played Dragon Warrior/Quest in my life, even seen a trailer, but i've seen reviews and screenshots, and have always been a fan of Akira Toriyama (i kno i massacred his name. im not even sure that IS his name) from being a longtime DB/DBZ/DBGT fan. so tahts one thing its got going for it :rolleyes2

Yuffie514
06-30-2005, 07:01 AM
oh, so totally disagree!

okay, well i like Dragon Warrior Monsters. i can train my own monsters and breed them to make new ones. sorry FF, but c'mon, ur still the one for me.

Captain Maxx Power
06-30-2005, 12:01 PM
- OMG!!!! DER DARGONWARRIOR HAS ELDRIK!!!111
- ROLF, SLIMSE, ROLF
- LEVELZ UP!!!!! LOL!!

Can't think of anymore right now, feel free to carry on in the same pretext.

BG-57
06-30-2005, 10:07 PM
My favorite thing in Dragon Warrior VII is when you master a monster class, your character looks like that monster (when on the world map anyways).

I also love the fragmented world/time traveling aspect of the game. That was really well done.

I also like the Sim's village subquest. For that matter, I like the SimCity-esque subquests in Breath of Fire III and IV.

The games in Coastal are cooler than Gold Saucer. Especially Lucky Panel: very addictive.

DJZen
07-01-2005, 05:09 AM
have always been a fan of Akira Toriyama (i kno i massacred his name. im not even sure that IS his name)

Umm... actually you spelled his name perfectly. The only words you butchered were "know" and "that's".

Del Murder
07-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Ragnar and Taloon.

black orb
07-10-2005, 06:22 AM
>>> Akira Toriyama is the only reason why this DW game still existing.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-10-2005, 09:28 AM
I actually dislike Akira Toriyama's artwork almost as much as I dislike his plots (or lack thereof).

Dragon Warrior is a decent RPG series, but I've never found the storylines to be too particularily deep, and thus they've failed to keep more than a passing interest of mine.

BG-57
07-10-2005, 07:35 PM
I forgot about Sky Town and the Sky Maze. Kind of like walking around a Rubick's Cube: lots of fun. :)

I also like the way you can take out almost any single foe using Gigaslash, even deities. :D

black orb
07-10-2005, 07:37 PM
I actually dislike Akira Toriyama's artwork almost as much as I dislike his plots (or lack thereof).
>>> Yeah but he is really popular in japan more than you would imagine..

Destai
07-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Not that Ive played any but I bet theyre not.

DJZen
07-10-2005, 08:03 PM
When you rescue princess Gwaelin, your sprite changes to show you carrying her in your arms. How many RPGs on the NES and even the SNES did that? Heck, in FF they can't even show your other party members. They just magically get sucked into the party leader somehow. In DQ/DW your party actually follows you around! Sheesh, is that REALLY such a difficult thing to do, Square?

elorian
07-10-2005, 08:49 PM
I've only played the first Dragon Warrior. The faux-Middle English dialoge and the need to select "talk" from a menu annoyed the crap out of me. (and what is it with Enix games and menus?! It seems like in every other Enix game you need to go into a menu to talk to someone! How hard is it to assume that when you press A next to a person you want to talk to him/her?!). The music also wasn't as good as Final Fantasy's. I got bored and stopped playing.

Maybe the other Dragon Warrior games are better, but the first one sucked.

DJZen
07-11-2005, 03:22 AM
It's really not that bad. You just have to press A twice instead of once. You get used to "double clicking" fast. Even when playing the SFC remake which lets you press L or R to automatically talk/search, I still found myself hitting AA. It just gets that intuitive.

Khaotic
07-13-2005, 05:09 AM
Heck, in FF they can't even show your other party members. They just magically get sucked into the party leader somehow. In DQ/DW your party actually follows you around! Sheesh, is that REALLY such a difficult thing to do, Square?

ever play ff8?

DJZen
07-14-2005, 04:18 AM
Yup, and notice how in the next game they immediately stopped? :)

Also, Dragon Quest has a continuing storyline.

Khaotic
07-14-2005, 04:35 AM
You were asking square if its such a difficult thing to do, however, they did do it, they just chose not to continue it, and in my opinion, I dont think it really cares if people follow you or "get sucked in" because running around pretty much has nothing to do with the gameplay, storyline, battle system, ect. In other words, its probably the last thing I would care about.

crashNUMBERS
07-14-2005, 05:53 AM
If thats so then why are there only FF forums here but no DQ/DW forums?? Thats why DQ/DW has to share the forum with the rest of the Enix crew...

DJZen
07-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Because this is a Final Fantasy message board that also happens to have a General Square-Enix discussion board.

crashNUMBERS
07-14-2005, 10:49 PM
And you dont find too much DQ/DW forums anways...

BG-57
07-16-2005, 05:50 PM
I also like the Tinymedal quest. A nice touch is that there's a total of 120 Tinymedals but you only need a maximum of 110; so you can miss a few and get all the prizes.

Also mastery bonuses for Platking makes a character almost invincible. :D

Captain Maxx Power
07-17-2005, 12:57 AM
In DQ/DW your party actually follows you around! Sheesh, is that REALLY such a difficult thing to do, Square?

Read FF8, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Seiken Densetsu and (Technically) FF11.