PDA

View Full Version : SeeD

Mittopotahis
06-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Why is the D Capitilised? Are you supposed to emphasise the D and say it "See-Dee". Or is it something else?

(Sorry Elle, I know you wanted to post this, but I couldn't trust you getting on anytime soon.)

TheAbominatrix
06-30-2005, 12:22 PM
I think it's just to make it look different. I know, however, that it's pronounced 'seed', as the seed/garden/etc thing is kinda obvious.

Sir Bahamut
06-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Some people say that it's due to the fact that in japanese, the word "Seed" and the name "Cid" are pronounced(written?) the same way, so to avoid confusion, they capitalised the D to make them clearly seperated.

Christmas
06-30-2005, 01:42 PM
It is quite the same like FF7 Shinra regular soldiers and the elite SOLDIER. Maybe it is just to make it different.

boys from the dwarf
06-30-2005, 07:18 PM
or AVALANCHE.

Xaven
06-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Personally, I pronounce it See-dee, though what you guys just said makes sense.

boys from the dwarf
07-01-2005, 07:26 AM
i cant be bothered to say see-dee every time so i just call it seed.

Purple_Dragon_Child
07-01-2005, 08:24 AM
I say "seed", it is called a Garden, my sis says "see-dee" though.

Squall of SeeD
07-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Grammatically, it couldn't be pronounced as "See-Dee" for the very simple fact that there's no break between the second "e" and the "D." They're part of one word and have to be pronounced accordingly.

From a storyline standpoint, the name is obviously a play on the fact that the Centra shelters that they're trained in are called "Gardens." "SeeDs are raised in Gardens."

Cyraniel
07-01-2005, 08:54 PM
I was wondering how are the names Edea and Seifer pronouced?

Edea:
Ee-dee-uh?
Eh-dee-uh?
Eed-ee-uh?
Ed-ee-uh?

Seifer:
Sy-fer?
Say-fer?
See-fer?

Ravenmorghane
07-01-2005, 11:14 PM
i pronounce edea as Ee day uh
an di pronounce seifer as Say fer

its just easier. seems to sound right

Xaven
07-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Hehe. My computer pronounces Seifer as "see-fer" and Edea as "A-dee-uh".

Personally, I don't comply with it. For me, Seifer equals "SIGH-fer" and Edea is "eh-DEE-uh". I don't always use the exact grammer rules of English on Earth in Squall's world. (Oops. This is sorta getting off topic.)

Purple_Dragon_Child
07-02-2005, 02:21 AM
I say "eh-DEE-ah" and "SE-fur".

NotQuiteNecessary
07-02-2005, 03:16 AM
see-DUH

ay-EE-DUH

sy-FER

Faith Chama
07-02-2005, 03:19 AM
I say "Eeed-ya" and "See-ver"
the V sound more bad-ass on "See-ver" and "Sel-vee"

Squall of SeeD
07-02-2005, 04:23 AM
In Katakana, "Edea" was "Idea," though they changed the first letter -- for obvious reasons -- to reflect how it should be pronounced with English phoenetics. So her name is "Ee-day-uh."

As for "Seifer," that's a German name pronounced -- as Xaven has it -- "Sigh-fer." Seeing as how the Tuetonic Knights wore crosses on their mantles and Seifer wears them on his coat sleeves, I'm going to assume that it was an intentional reference to go along with the rest of the good and evil symbolism.

BackRoomKid
07-02-2005, 07:02 AM
the BackRoomKid aka Nicks' translations

SeeD= See Dee
Seifer= Seh Fear
Edea= Eh day uh
Rinoa= Rye No uh

that's how i said them first playing the game...they should have just done it like FF7 and just capitilzed the whole word: SEED, GARDEN, stuff like that

yeah, finding the origin of names and such is cool but for those who just wanna play to be amazed...we'd just rather read it like we want to

but of course, the whole "seed" and "garden" thing is obvious, just the pronuncians aren't so clear a lot of the time