PDA

View Full Version : How did you discover final fantasy?

blackchocobo9999
06-30-2005, 07:35 PM
i want to know how everyone got into playing and enjoying final fantasy?

for me it all started in 1997, the release of ff7, proberly the best ff ever
i saw it at my neibours house and he said i could borrow it because i thought it looked intresting, It was!! I never gave him it back but about a couple of years, it broke :( so i went to the shops to buy it and thats when i noticed ff8 and 9, so i bought those to
and now i have them all!! :D

now its your turn to tell me and the other ff lovers how you got into final fantasy??

Kilrane
06-30-2005, 07:54 PM
my dad. he had played all of the previous final fantasy's on NES and when he discovered that there was a final fantasy on the PS he went out and rented it. it took him 7 weeks to finish it without the guide, though he didnt get everything till the second time around. i always saw him playing it and i was mad because i was into the sport games and fighting games and he always hogged my PS that l bought. after about a year of having it i finally gave it a try and since have been an addict owning all from VII till X-2 and XI.

Alexander
06-30-2005, 08:02 PM
With FFVII. I don't really remember how, though. I played the old-school FFs after FFVII (bar III), then FFVIII, IX (*-*) and X.

Sin Magnum
06-30-2005, 08:05 PM
my old friend. almost every day he'd invite me to his house (this was before ps2) he had the ps and i had n64. the first day i went over and he was playin ff7.i liked it so much i wanted to trade my n64 for a ps. about 3 or 4 years later i had a ps2 and completely forgot about ff until my dad downloaded old nintendo games onto our computer including ff1 and ff2 (not 4 today) and i got back into ff and bought ff10

TurkSlayer
06-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Saw a picture of Vivi in a magazine, and thought he looked kinda cool, so I decided read the article. I though the game looked really cool, so I decided I'd buy. During the time I was saving up money, I visited a friend of mine and saw him play FFVIII. I thought it was pretty cool. On my birthday I was given FFIX as a gift. (I was also given FFVIII the same day). It was that day I discovered my love for RPGs.

FoxHoundx25
06-30-2005, 10:22 PM
i rented FFT, for two days, got about 1/8 done with the game....after that i didnt touch another FF for about 4 years and the next one i played was X, big drop off, but about a week after i got X i got VII and from there i was hooked.......about 3 years after that i finally got another copy of FFT and STILL havent beaten it

rubah
06-30-2005, 11:45 PM
I joined a forum owned by a girl that did fanart of these 'FF' characters.

then a year later I asked my gamer friend what final fantasy was, so he sent me romz of the snes games. I played ff5 and loved it.

then I saw ffx at hastings, and rented it and a ps2 and was seduced by the sexy ps2 and got one of my own~

Slade
06-30-2005, 11:52 PM
My friend used to come around quite often and everytime he came over he would bring FFVII. I usually just sat there and watched but there was one time he let me have a shot. Few months later he started to bring round VIII. Then IX. I always wanted an FF after that but didnt have a playstation. My friends parents owned a video shop and he said i could order the games for PC from him. I asked him to get me VII and Resident Evil 2. Well i ended up getting RE2 but not VII. About a year later i got a playstation (finally) and borrowed FFVIII from another friend. Best thing id ever played....from then i got hooked and bought all the ps FFs (including VI), downloaded the roms for IV and V, got a ps2 and got X and X-2 so yeah.....thats pretty much it :D

Swordicanus
07-01-2005, 12:29 AM
The first time I had heard of FF was when FF7 was coming out I seen it advertised on T.V,but the thing was that in the advertisements it showed the cut scenes and I thought christ the are brilliant graphics............a while after I rented it and I was dissapointed at first with the graphics....but I gave it time and I started to really enjoy it and then bought it......................ever since I've clearec it countless times*memories*............................. :rolleyes2

Magaso
07-01-2005, 12:41 AM
I got intrested in FF after playing chrono Trigger, so i um Downloaded all the Snes ff Roms. Now I only legally own 3 ff games.

FinalBob42
07-01-2005, 12:56 AM
I played my first FF in 2004 (exactly a year ago). I'm mostly a PC Gamer and just had nothing better to do so I picked up FF7-9 (with an emulator) and FF10 (with a used PS2). Good times, played most of the games already in a year and they keep me busy :)

Rase
07-01-2005, 02:47 AM
When I was five, my dad bought FFIV for some reason, and I played it and liked it. The end.

DJZen
07-01-2005, 05:18 AM
Ah yes, I believe it was in the year 1993 for me. I had been the proud owner of Secret of Mana for a while and loved the hell out of it. I can't even tell you how many drawings of the elementals I made. Soon thereafter I went to our local video rental store (Movies Movies Movies, a local store that went out of business when Blockbuster moved in and I curse the day that happened!) to browse their titles. In the SNES rack I stumbled upon a slightly older Square game called "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest". I thought it was great fun, but a bit more challenging that I had expected (I was very used to platformers at the time, battle strategy was a new concept to me). Next thing I knew I was buying Final Fantasy VI (though it was called III at the time) and developing a whole new obsession.

Zanius
07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Well, it was on 2001, when a friend of mine asked me, if I like Final Fantasy. But I didn't know what the game is look like. So I went one day to his house to play FF 8. That was my first FF. It was love at the first loading!

:love: :love:

:D :D

ZuZu
07-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Don't remember the year but it was a long ago when my brother started to play FF8. I was looking when he played. "Stupid game", I said. But I just continued looking the game and it took about a year when I played my first game, FF7.

Now I actually love FF8 and other FF-games. After FF8, FF7 looked so stupid but I regret that I ever said that.
I'm hooked on Final Fantasy! :love:

Thanks to my brother.

Leeza
07-01-2005, 05:19 PM
I discovered Final Fanasty when I bought FFI in 1991, I think. I bought it because the name sounded cool and it had a neet looking picture on the case. :)

Crossblades
07-01-2005, 07:14 PM
My best friend. He lent me FF IV for the SNES. I was bored of it at first, but then I really got into it the 2nd time I played. I then discovered FF VI for the SNES, I bought it and really got into it. From there on, I loved Final Fantasy

DelightfulSpekkio442
07-01-2005, 07:48 PM
My cousin gave me a CD with SNES9x and a collection of ROMs to try out back in 2001. One of them was Chrono Trigger. I didn't even really know what an RPG was at that point (I'd played Pokemon but didn't really get it), but when I read more about CT I discovered Square's legacy. I downloaded the first FF ROM I came across, which happened to be FFV. I hated it and resolved to stick with CT. Then I saw a copy of FFVII PC in a store, and remembered the big hooplah way back in '97 when it first came out. I decided what the heck, and bought it. I was blown away. After playing FFVII and CT to death, I tried out FFVI, and it was equally amazing. I went back and gave I - IV each a shot - I liked II but the others didn't really grab me. Then I went forward - I bought FFVIII and Chrono Cross (loved CC, didn't like FFVIII). I don't have a PS2, so I bought my best friend FFX and we played through some of it together - it's pretty good but I haven't played it enough to really attach. Finally, a friend lent me FFIX a couple weeks ago and I am in love!

Faith
07-02-2005, 09:00 AM
I rented a game back in 1994 and inside the rental box was this other game called 'Final Fantasy II.' I was too young to drive back to the store and complain, so I started the game up out of curiosity. Been obsessed ever since.

I wonder what the game I actually rented was. :confused:

Primus Inter Pares
07-02-2005, 10:20 AM
My first FF was VIII, I had played the demo that came with my PS, never looked back :)

Dreddz
07-02-2005, 11:21 AM
My bro buying FFVII and letting me start my own game

louby_4eva
07-02-2005, 01:01 PM
The first FF I played was FFVII, about 4 years ago, my mums boyfriend posted it to us (he lived in Cumbria faar far away from me) andI just loved it. :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Vivi288
07-02-2005, 08:28 PM
i saw a picture of Vivi on someones website an wanted to know what it was, so i asked if i could play on there game, because i knew them from school, so the next time i went to their house i played on FFXI an have been hooked on it since!!!

Tai-Ti
07-03-2005, 01:20 PM
i only started this year with FFX, my brother has a few of the games, id watch him play and just think "yeah, wateva" but in the end he persuaded me to play X, and i loved it, i nearly strangled my friend wen the copy of 9 he lent me stopped working right near the start!!

Winter Nights
07-03-2005, 01:29 PM
My uncle had FF1 on NES, when I was little.. I played that whenever my parents drug me over to see him and my aunt. Plus, my grandmother bought me a Gameboy and a game, which was FF Legends 3. I played it for a bit and found that I hated it. Because I assumed FFs were alot like FF Legend and the fact that I was a Sega fan, I didn't really touch FF until PS1 and FF7.. Liked FF7 and fell in love with FF8. Been playing ever since.

Holy_Aeris
07-03-2005, 01:34 PM
When FFVII came out in the UK, 1996? Me thinks???
Anyways, me bro got it and played it. I went to watch him and got really into it. He wasn't too bothered, so he gave to to me. I've been hooked on FF every since!!

Chris
07-03-2005, 04:28 PM
I first about FFVII back in late '96 in a Japanese magazine, then I awaited the game for about tree months... then it came out, then I bought it.

Kappy
07-03-2005, 05:05 PM
When FFVII had just came out.
I didn't know of it, and I saw an advert for a company you could phone up and order games and accessories from. My mother said I could order a game, or accessory from it for my birthday. Anything.
So I thought I'd order a gun for playing on 007:TND, that I had got in the previous christmas. I then read in a review of TND that it doesn't have gun compatability, so I decided I'd order a random game. I saw the cover of FFVII, wondered why the cover was rather bland and ordered it for the smurf of it.

never looked back since :lol:

Black Mage
07-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Thank the lord for Nintendo Power.

ughhis
07-03-2005, 07:56 PM
7 years later, I bought my first Final Fanasty. Thus, I am happy.

It is known. :fpcow:

ali b
07-03-2005, 10:17 PM
My boyfriend got me into it. I played VII first, and loved it. Then I went on and played VIII, IX, X and X-2.

I've just started playing VIII again for the second time round. :)

Hikaro Takayama
07-04-2005, 04:51 AM
I first got interested when I saw the PC version of FFVII in 1998, but my computer wasn't quite up to snuff for running the game. About a year later, after I'd completed basic training for the US Navy in Great Lakes, IL and transferred to Service School Command (just up the road) for a year-long electronics training course. A week after transferring, I bought a Compaq notebook for $800 that could just barely run the game in 640x480 resolution, and bought the game, with the help of my roommate. After a few months, we both beat the game, and I was hooked ever since. As a matter of fact, my roommate became one of my best friends in the Navy, and we'd managed to somehow get stationed on the same bases for most of our Navy carrers, during which time he introduced me to the wonderful worlds of Chronotrigger, Star Ocean, Vagrant Story, 8-bit Theater, and pen and paper RPGs.... Ah, good times.

Del Murder
07-04-2005, 09:34 AM
My dad rented a copy of FFIII (VI) from Eastman Video and gave it to us. We still have it.

FunkyBlackMage
07-05-2005, 06:41 PM
My friend is obsessed with Final Fantasy. He told me how great it was, so I went out and bought FFT. I've been hooked ever since.

blackchocobo9999
07-07-2005, 05:34 PM
wow loads of gr8 storys
keep em' coming because im hooked!!

crashNUMBERS
07-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Umm... I forgot.....

Buccura
07-07-2005, 07:13 PM
I admit my first was FFVII. That had a hand in getting me into RPGs (Though Pokemon Red gets all the main credit for that). It wasn't though until I played VI that I truely got into the series.

Cruise Control
07-07-2005, 07:36 PM
I found a FFI & FFII GBA cartridge in a puddle, popped it in it still worked, and I've been hooked ever since.

MAS82587
07-07-2005, 08:37 PM
when i was in 7th grade, my dad bought it for me for christmas because he went to best buy and asked a worker there for a game that his kid could play for a long time and really like. the guy offered ffvii.
if i knew who that guy was, id kiss him. been hooked ever since.

Cless
07-09-2005, 11:29 PM
In 2003, my friend and I went in to my local rental store to rent out a game and a movie. We didn't see any game that really stood out to us, so I said that the game Final Fantasy 10 over there looks interesting, so that's what we got. The coincidence was, though, that when we walked out of the door with it, my friend remembered that they forgot to ask for his card. This meant that the rental wasn't on record, meaning we could keep it!

I loved it, it was my first RPG, so then I went on an FF frenzy lasting a couple of months, buying them, getting roms of them, and completing them left, right, and center! :)

SephirothOneWing
07-15-2005, 12:28 AM
I was introduced to Final Fantasy when Final Fantasy III was first shown on TV. I was shocked of how cool the game was and I wanted to get it very badly. Although the store close that day, I got it that next day and I loved Final Fantasy from there on out. Final Fantasy is the mother of RPG's and they will always stay that way. Long live, the Fabled Final Fantasy Series :) :) :)

Yuffie514
07-15-2005, 01:21 AM
this is like the third thread i've answered regarding my FF discovery, but at least i always get to reword my post...

lucky number 7! it was shortly after those times where i watched my bro/cousins play Zelda: A Link To The Past. we all grew up with video-games and loved to try out new ones. i think either my bro or one of my cousins borrowed FFVII from a friend a we all loved it and soon got our own PS to play it on. i still watched my bro/cousins play games. last time was when i watched my bro play Star Ocean: Til The End of Time. so funny to watch, esp when he dies (like in FFVIII where Edea kills him like 7 consecutive times).

anyways...

crazybayman
07-15-2005, 01:36 PM
FF1.

Back when the NES came out, I was into games like Super Mario, Metroid, Ice Hockey, Super Spike V-Ball, etc. My cousin and friends were crazy into Final FAntasy 1, but I was a bit skeptical of the battle system and what not. Finally, I borrowed my cousin's copy of FF, and was addicted. He even had the Nintendo Power Strategy guide, so I borrowed that too. I then got into Dragon Warrior 4, which was also incredible for an NES game.

A few years later during Christmas break, I borrowed my friend's SNES, and FF Mystic Quest from another friend, and of course I loved that too, so I finished it.

Then came University, and I had to put gaming aside, because, lets face it, if I spent countless hours playing FF instead of studying and completing assignments, I probably would have failed out of Engineering, haha.

Then on one workterm (like an internship, and we got paid), I was rooming with a buddy of mine, and he had a PS1, and happened to have FFVIII borrowed from another friend. It had been years since I played any FF, so II started to play, and was addicted all over again! I completely rediscovered my love for FF again. Anyways, after a while we had to head back to school, before being able to finish it, so I put it aside again. That, and the other friend wanted his FFVIII back again, so that was that....for the time being.

On our next workterm, I was working in Houston, and rooming with the same friend with the PS1. So I went out and bought FFVII this time, and obviously got addicted to that. That workterm came and went, and I didn't get a chance to finish that one either, what with actually working, partying and travelling around to Mardi Gras, Spring Break, yaddi yadda.

I moved back to Newfoundland to do another school semester, and that roomie with the PS1 moved in with his girlfriend, so again was without FF1, plus I was too busy with school.

Fast forward a few years, past a workterm in Holland, and graduating from University. While looking for full-time employment, I had to live with me parents for a bit. And to pass the time, I downloaded the SNES emulator, and FFVI. I was hooked all over again! Finally I found work, and moved back to the city, and put away gaming again.

That Christmas, my girlfriend gave me a PS2. I was overjoyed :D . So of course I bought FFX, finished that, bought FFVIII, finished that, ditto for FFVII. And now I play whenever I get a chance!!

Blue_Mage
07-15-2005, 01:50 PM
I used to think FF was a bad game. I used to only p,ay games like Spyro & Racthet. Well, I saw a comercail for Kingdom Hearts on TV & even more info about it on Dysney channel. All I knew was that you played through all the clasic Dysney movies with Donald & Goofy, it soinded fun. I got it & I just loved it. The Battle System, the story, the graphics, the music, everything! ABout 2 months later I bagan to get intrested in Fianl Fantasy. I played a demo of X & I didnt like the battle system. Well, a month later I bought FFX at Target. From then on I became an obsessed fan of FF, & an RPG player, only RPG's.

Meat Puppet
07-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Wait, what's Final Fantasy?

Winter Nights
07-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Wait, what's Final Fantasy?
It's nothing, go back to sleep.

spartancode117
07-15-2005, 05:50 PM
My cousin had 9, so i bought it (yes, it was my first) then i got 7, Tactics, 10, Chronicles, Origins, X-2 (i sold it), and i downloaded 1-5 onto my PSP

General-Beatrix
07-15-2005, 08:55 PM
The first final fantasy that i played was final fantasy 8. Then FF9. Then FF10. Then FF1,2,4,5,6. Then X-2. Then FF7. Then Crystal Chronicles.
Now im waiting for another one. And also Tactics and Tactics Advance.
What lured me into playing ff8 which is my first one is because the graphics were amazing!

Crop
07-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Well one day i was walking down the sidewalk and then a hobo came up to me and gave me FF1.

No really my dads friend lent FF7 to my dad but he didnt like it and i tryed it and i did like it and my dads friend never came back to get the game back so i still have it.

Kittay
07-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Years ago (maybe 1991?) when my sister and I were SNES freaks, my mom (i think) bought us FFIV. I don't remember getting it, I just remember having it. Yeah well, we were young and didn't understand it. Me and my best friend at the time would just put it in, get to the Chocobo forest and cheer "Ducky!!!" and then we'd turn it off. C'mon we were like 5.

When I was about 10, I bought an NES at a used game store because my aunt had one and I had played hers a couple of times. I bought FF1 after recognizing the title, and my sister and I played it for a while... still didn't understand it. Never bought any items or weapons, just made a party and got into battles and died. Didn't even get to the first boss. We thought that was the entire game. xD

Last year, I dated a guy who was into RPGs, particularly FF1, and it reminded me of my past. So, having owned FF1 and FFIV, I downloaded the roms and whoa - I fell in love. Played VI after that... fell deeper in love. Just bought FFIX and FFVII and I'm smitten. :-)

FFVIII Fan
07-18-2005, 10:18 PM
this was quite funny

i met a friend on holidays and we used to write to each other. When it came to christmas time in 98' i bought him FFVII(platinum). I didnt even know if he would like it. I had always thought that the games would be crap and that i would never play them. When i opened the box just to look at the discs, i noticed that the man at the counter had given me the discs of FFVIII instead of vii, and it had just came out. I said i mite as well play 8 as it was new, and to my surprise i loved it!!!! best ff game ever by the way. So i kept the game and bought my friend a beenie hat n a wallet! :D

xautomaticxboy
07-20-2005, 08:07 AM
My dad...........me and him were at Wallmart and he picked all of my games back then......and BAM!....I came, I saw, I conquered.......I love my dad for that.

Rengori
07-20-2005, 08:42 AM

4th Grade.

Some of my friends were playing pretend on the playground, one of them shouts out Blitz Ace, and for some reason, I went to go question why they yelled that. They told me that they got it from Final Fantasy X. My other friend tells me to go play FFIX, because that was his favorite. When my mom picked up VII instead of IX, I was mad at first but then I coldn't be happier.

Reles
07-20-2005, 08:51 AM
My brother was the oldest out of me and my cousins and we'd all hang out together and watch him play final fantasy. I remember one time when he was play ff2, my cousin Danielle and I were fighting over who should be Rosa, because neither of us wanted to be a green haired chick. She ended up winning. -.- Then years later everytime my brother would play ff7, I would sit down by him and watch him, even when he was leveling up, I found it to be entertaining, so he gave me a copy of ff3 and I set it up in my room. The end.

fantasyjunkie
07-23-2005, 05:02 AM
I saw one of my wife's cousins playing FF7 in 97 and i just fell in love with it.

Tama2
07-23-2005, 07:30 AM
I walked into Super Star Video. Looked at the shelf and saw a strange little white thing lookin back at me, while it grasped a sword. FFIII, when I first saw it for SNES. Now, FFVI. I don't remember when I 1st played it or how old I was. I'll I know is that I was a little kid that loved this new found game.

blackchocobo9999
07-27-2005, 04:50 PM
These storys are sooooo cool and funny, :D

boys from the dwarf
08-01-2005, 05:50 PM
years ago round my cousin house they had FF7 8 and 9 FF& was my first.3-5 yrs l8tr i got a ps2 and FFx then i bought FF7 and nine then FF8 then had loads of trouble finding FF6 on the internet but got it then FFX-2 than FF1 and 2 DoS.and then FF anthology(FF4 and 5.)

Lady Seifer
08-02-2005, 06:42 AM
My uncle bought a play station to his daughter and it brought the FFVII as a gift . My cousin didn´t know english,so my uncle gave us (my sister and me) the game. By curiosity we played it. The rest is history.

Mo-Nercy
08-02-2005, 11:54 PM
At a friend's house, where a group of us had gathered to celebrate his birthday. A friend of a friend of mine had brought his Playstation (which was the epitomy of cool back in 1998) and his Final Fantasy VII. While munching down on cake, we took turns using his nearly maxed out characters to beat up random enemies. I also developed my love of Maltesers at this same party, so it was a very memorable day.

I bought a PS like a week later.

Medi
08-03-2005, 01:48 AM
My older siblings, I just used to watch them play. I didn't start playing them until a few years ago. All that is explained in a thread about the FFIX ending, can't remember why it's there though...

blackchocobo9999
08-03-2005, 05:42 PM
mo-nercy,I only got into FF that day, lol,nothing else, but a couple of days later, i tried my first twix :D

O, and twixs are yummy :D

Edit by Kishi: Don't double-post.

MushroomZOMBIE
08-05-2005, 02:42 AM
Woo,at age of ten,I got a demo disc with the game FF VIII in it.It wasn't until two years later i wnet out & bought the game (at a garage sale,for crying out loud!!!! :lol:)Ever since,I have gotten FFT,DoS, & FFVII........I want to get Anthology,& I don't have a Ps2.........I don't have much money.......
Anyways,I like Reese's better,but once again,I rarely eat chocolates

ljkkjlcm9
08-05-2005, 03:29 AM
wow I can't believe I haven't said anything in here yet

at the age of 4 my mother got FF in 1990 and was playing it, and she really stunk, so I'd hit the buttons and stuff in battle and my brothers would look at the enemy stats and we'd decide to run or fight. It was fun and it got me hooked to video games, not just FF, cause it was so much simpler to understand hit A and they'll attack who the hand pointed at then, run jump duck look turtle shell, get the mushroom, ah fireballs(ie mario)... at least for a 4 year old

THE JACKEL

blackchocobo9999
08-09-2005, 01:15 PM
why dont you just set THE JACKEL as your sig lol

Shooting Star
08-09-2005, 05:03 PM
I found out about it when my friend got a PS1, she got lots of games with it including FF8 and FF9. She said they were realy weird and that she didn't like them. Later on i asked if i could borrow one and since then i've got FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10,and FF10-2. My fave is FF7.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
08-09-2005, 07:03 PM
I got it all from my older brother

blackchocobo9999
08-11-2005, 10:34 PM
I found out about it when my friend got a PS1, she got lots of games with it including FF8 and FF9. She said they were realy weird and that she didn't like them. Later on i asked if i could borrow one and since then i've got FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10,and FF10-2. My fave is FF7.
i would have been cheeky enough to ask her if i can have em all for free :D

Karl
08-11-2005, 10:47 PM
i found a nintendo power in my sisters room with a walkthu of ff1 and on my next b day i say ff7-9 and bought em all

black orb
08-12-2005, 12:45 AM
>>> Long time ago i heard my friend saying that FF was crap.
Since then I was curious about this Final Fantasy game till i bought a copy of it.

Rengori
08-12-2005, 01:29 AM
*KotR's your friend*

Ryth
08-12-2005, 05:47 AM
My older cousin showed me FFIX a few years back and I was obsessed with games ever since.

blackchocobo9999
08-12-2005, 09:45 AM
I wouldnt buy a game someone said was crap, unless i knew otherwise!

Necron
08-18-2005, 07:51 PM

Yeah, i'd probably hire it first

blackchocobo9999
08-18-2005, 08:12 PM

Yeah, i'd probably hire it first
I would go to someone i know who has it and borrow it, coz i dont wanna spend my money on crap!!

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
08-19-2005, 07:02 AM
My former classmate back in HS gave me a copy of FFOrigins in our junior year.

blackchocobo9999
08-20-2005, 12:49 PM
My former classmate back in HS gave me a copy of FFOrigins in our junior year.
Wish my mates would have been so nice :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Cut out the off-topic posts, blackchocobo.

tan
08-22-2005, 01:10 AM
I discovered my first FF from the TV. It was everywhere. Oh yeah I also bought Kingdom Hearts, thought FF was cool, went to Costco, bought the game (for it was on sale). Thus started my addiction to staying up late and trying to get that damned Jecht shot!

blackchocobo9999
08-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Cut out the off-topic posts, blackchocobo.
Sorry, i'll be quiet now :D

DarkLadyNyara
08-22-2005, 09:50 PM
i want to know how everyone got into playing and enjoying final fantasy?
Fireemblem776, aka my psycotic best friend. The funny thing is, I'm better at them than he is.

Painex2rules
08-23-2005, 04:14 PM
tv commercial i saw x-2 my first ever ff game so i bought it duh :cool:

blackchocobo9999
08-24-2005, 07:41 PM
tv commercial i saw x-2 my first ever ff game so i bought it duh :cool:
Bit, late.... and X-2 is probebly the worst!

eestlinc
08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
ahem...off topic posts blackchocobo...

I got the Final Fantasy strategy guide with my Nintendo Power subscription, read the whole guide, and decided I had to have the game.

Mavrick
09-02-2005, 06:42 PM
i found out about FF8 through my cousin who started playing it and it caught my attention. about a month later i bought it....(had to use my own money) and the day after 10 hours of playing. i was happy. the after i beat it and started talkin about it to other people. i was sad. because i kept hearing the same /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. "7s better", blah blah blah. 8 sucks." decided to play it. thought it was good. really did. but i thought 8 was better...... the battle continues to this day.

Black Mage
09-02-2005, 08:25 PM
It was eith 1993 or 1994 as I don't remember how far it was into the school year (I was in Second grade), but my school library had a subscription to Nintendo Power, so every week on "Library Day", each one of my friends and I would take out an issue of Nintendo Power. That year, I got ahold of an issue that had an article about Final Fantasy I. It wasn't the Final Fantasy I Guidebook issue, but a regular issue with NP's normal "give an introduction to the game" style articles. My friends and I were in love with the characters we saw in the art and screenshots. Fortunately a new kid had the game, and I managed to get him to let me borrow it, as he could never beat Garland. I don't remember exactly how far I got, but I do know I managed to beat Garland with four Black Mages. Not really much of an accomplishment now, but I'm surprised I could do it being 6 or 7 years old.

Ah, but since then, we got our hands on FFIV (II at the time), and FFVI (III). One of my other friends and I also got the ol' translated FFII NES rom during that time, and competed to see who could finish it first. I won. :)

KoShiatar
09-02-2005, 09:34 PM
My turn to give my two cents to the discussion.

I can't remember when I heard about Final Fantasy for the first time. I just thought it was a mainstream thing and therefore it could not be all that good, so I stayed as far away from it as I could.

However, at the end of last year, I finished my exhams at University and found myself in the situation of having to choose a subject for my thesis, and do it quickly. I was in desperate need for ideas. Most people had known their subject for years, but not me.

I asked to a senpai (one I hold very dear) for some help, and he told me "Why don't you choose Yo/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifaka Amano as a subject? I wanted to do that myself, but I couldn't."
He had given me that suggestion once already, but after seeing some images I had decided that I didn't like Amano much and gave up. But this time, I felt like I wanted to know more about the artist. I found some things by him that I liked and finally picked the subject up.

I knew I HAD to talk about Final Fantasy because it was a major work of him, and in the meantime I had gotten into RPG's thanks to Breath of Fire I and II. So while I was at it I decided to download some ROMS just to see what I was talking about. My first Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy 6. I picked up well, didn't I? ^___^

I never stopped. I'm listening to the music on the official Advent Children site and it's so beautiful, it's giving me a weight in the chest.

blackmage_nuke
09-02-2005, 10:32 PM
i was going out to rent a game from the video store, my brother said if i saw any final fantasy's i should get one, because his friend said they were good. Well i saw VIII and brought it back. My brother liked it, and i had fun (until the disk stopped working)

so the next time we went i borrowed final fantasy VI and VII, and my brother didnt like the graphics, but i had the time of my life!!! and thats how i got into final fantasy

ILoveTheYellowChicken
09-03-2005, 04:48 AM
Through Porn.....it said FINAL FANTASY PORN!!!!......and i was like wtf?.....then it said you WON A FREE FINAL FANTASY GAME!!!......and i filled out a form a boom........lol jk i started looking up RPG's and it poped up

enigma1234
10-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Duh!, final fantasy games are famous all over the world everyone knows it.

But the 1st final fantasy I've played is FF7 I heard my classmates and other people talking about it so I tried it and.........I became a FAN of it. :cool:

Winter Nights
10-02-2005, 07:33 AM
FFVII had alot of commercials.

tastetherainbow
10-02-2005, 11:00 PM
i was making a neopets shop page (hehe) a couple of years ago.so i came on this site with free neopets shop layouts and they had these cool ones with final fantasy characters.so i was like wtf is final fantasy? and here i am today.

Rinoa_Heartillly
10-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Squall's face.

Sephex
10-02-2005, 11:33 PM
The original Dragon Warrior was the gateway drug for the orignal Final Fantasy for my cousin and I.

Ceil
10-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Pure luck :) I was shopping about for a new game, and the FFVII box caught my eye. I later went and got the older games, and have since purchased a few of the new o/

Rubix
10-03-2005, 02:02 PM
1997 I had the trailer on the OPSM and thought it looked good. Paid Ł45 for it and at first I thought it was crap as it was the first RPG game I really played.

3 days later i was loving it
1 Month later it was my best game ever.

And so it stays.

spikey-haired hero
10-17-2005, 11:30 PM
when ff IV came out my older brother got it as a christmas present along with our snes. At the time i had never played an rpg before but I have been hooked since.