PDA

View Full Version : Old vs. New vs. Newer, eh?

XxSephirothxX
06-30-2005, 08:23 PM
I've got a stack of RPGs to play, but I'd like to add Final Fantasy I and II to the list, as I've never gotten around to playing them. I was wondering, though, what the best way to go about it would be. Should I go for a rom of the original NES versions, seek out the Origins remake, or get Dawn of Souls for the GBA? I don't care about graphics that much, though I'll admit I'd probably enjoy the PS1 or GBA versions a bit more in that area. But is the dialogue and or story changed/made better at all in the updated versions? Is the wacky leveling system still in place for FFII in the PS1 and GBA versions? Which version of the two games will I get the most out of?
I checked to see if there was another topic like this, and didn't see one for the last couple months, so apologies in advance if I missed it.

boys from the dwarf
07-01-2005, 07:12 AM
id say dawn of souls because FF2 on dawn of souls has a smallsequel afterwards called soul of rebirth and FF1 has 4 extra dungeons with bosses from FF 3,4,5 and 6.
dawn of of souls is different because of monsters dont has the same amount as the originals but dawn of souls is the best one

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Origins has art galleries that you unlock throughout the games and the best-quality graphics and music. Plus a couple FMVs and a treasure gallery that marks your progress in getting all the game's treasure chests, but they're not a big deal.

Dawn of Souls has four extensive semi-random dungeons with a ton of new enemies, items, and equipment to find, and that's just for FFI. FFII has a brief quest that's accessible after the beating the game once that brings some additional closure to the plot. Oh, and the dialogue is now accompanied by character portraits.

Both versions have detailed bestiaries for all the monsters you've fought.

Butz
07-01-2005, 07:38 AM
never knew they were this different :eek:

now I'll have to play 'em :mad:

does anyone got the ROMs and care to share?? :greenie:

Alexander
07-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Origins. Dawn of Souls impanted the current MP in FFI, and I didn't like it. T_T Plus, NO SILVER SWORD IN ELF LAND! Ň_Ó

boys from the dwarf
07-01-2005, 05:44 PM
you may as well get all of them.it builds up the collection.

XxSephirothxX
07-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Origins and Dawn of Souls both sound like they have advantages, so it'll probably come down to which I can find easily and for the best price. Thanks for the info.

Captain Maxx Power
07-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Personally I've completed both the NES, Origins and DoS versions. Then again I have way too much time on my hands.

Cyraniel
07-02-2005, 01:55 AM
I've played all the versions and I like what they've done with DOS. I think the character sprites in FF2 on the NES look WAY better than the remakes though. That bugs me alot, but I suppose it's no big deal.

Del Murder
07-02-2005, 07:13 AM
I think the best way to play an RPG for the first time is on a console. I'd go with Origins, it also the best adaptation in my opinion.

Garland
07-02-2005, 07:40 AM
Difficulty in Dawn of Souls has been completely nerfed in comparison to the originals. This is more evident in FF1. The challenge in FF1 was having the patience to level yourself through slow and tedius random battles with a rather substancial exp to next level. Otherwise, the game wasn't complicated. FF1 DoS is also uncomplicated, but levelling has been turbocharged, and the TNL's have been reduced substancially. With the new MP system, any party with a White mage and Heal spells is nigh invincible.

boys from the dwarf
07-02-2005, 09:06 PM
but still all f them re good and if your a ollector as well as a player you ont have to ply all of them.

DJZen
07-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Play the NES ROMs first. If nothing else, you'll better appreciate what the oldschoolers went through to enjoy their RPG goodness. You might be put off by the clumsier engines and lack of clear directions (in FFI most of your directions are learned by talking to nondescript NPCs), but there's still a lot of fun to be had.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-03-2005, 03:34 AM
The tedium at hand in the original version of FFII approaches the kind seen in a Dragon Quest game.

XxSephirothxX
07-03-2005, 05:18 AM
As I've got a Dreamcast ROM disc with about 130 NES games on it, including FFI and II, I'll probably play those first, at least for a few hours, and see if I find it enjoyable enough to continue. I generally play RPGs for the story and characters, and a lot of random battles can be really boring, but it sounds like getting Dawn of Souls will be an answer to that problem. I'm about to beat Lunar 2, and the battles in that have just about driven me crazy, so I think I'm going to wait and play something less battle heavy next. :D Still, thanks for all the advice.

Dreddz
07-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Id say origins myself

Sefie1999AD
07-08-2005, 03:09 PM
If you can, try to find FF1 for WonderSwan Color, and with a fan translation if you can't read Japanese. I really liked that version. It plays out like the PSX version on Normal difficulty, with all the little story things and cutscenes such as Coneria soldiers repairing the bridge, Nerrick the Dwarf blowing up the piece of land to create a canal etc, but it lacks some of the features in FF Origins, such as monster/treasure encyclopedia or picture galleries and the opening FMV. The music has all the same tracks as in PSX (including the new boss and special battle themes), though the sound quality isn't as good as in PSX or even GBA.

FF1 WSC does have those weak points I mentioned... However, what I find great about FF1 WSC is that the gameplay is really smooth, and the game seems to flow much faster than in PSX. I always thought walking and running around is quite slow in PSX, at least compared to WSC. Battles also go very quickly. With the WSC version, the battle system is similar to FF1 NES, so you won't have all those things that make FF1 DoS ridiculously easy.

For those who want Ineffective and other old-school NES options back on, they can be enabled in WSC. The Ineffective is quite annoying, but you should beat FF1 at least once with it since that's how the original FF1 was, and it sure adds a level of strategy to the game so you won't breeze through the battles anymore by holding or tapping the "X" (confirm) button. I don't think having Ineffective feature turned on made the game any harder for me, you'll do just as well, as long as you think a bit how you manage your attacks.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-08-2005, 03:40 PM
You also have the option to retain the old things like Ineffective in the PlayStation version. In the GBA version, you only have the option to turn off the dashing.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-10-2005, 05:31 AM
I have the ROMs and Origins. I think I'll get the GBA version too b/c of more extras that have to do with extra gameplay.

black orb
07-10-2005, 05:52 AM
>>> Nothing like the old NES version, played in an old nintendo console, thats for FF1.
FF2 is horrible in its original NES and PSX Origins versions.. :D

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-10-2005, 06:18 AM
Too bad I hadn't heard of it back then. Now I occasionally play the ROM, but I get bored very easily.

lord shishio
07-22-2005, 11:09 PM
I'd go with Dawn of Souls, the sound is better, there are bonus dungeons after the game, and the messed up leveling system in ffII is less.............messed up.

Classic Axe
07-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Get the GBA version. I would. The Origins is very similar to the NES version. If you're going to play one so close to the original, just play the original.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-27-2005, 05:03 AM
I can't imagine having the patience to lvl up so much in that game where the graphics are so boring and simple. NES music can give you a headache. The PSX version I think lets me play much longer, and my brain doesn't react to it afterwards. Playing old games for so long, my brain used to involuntarily play back sound effects and musical notes, but that doesn't happen on more advanced systems. If you're going to play FF1 for a long time, the PSX version is the healthy alternative. However, I'll add the new game boy version to my wish list since there's more extras in it.