PDA

View Full Version : I love collecting strategy guides

Crossblades
07-01-2005, 08:13 PM
One of my hobbies is collecting RPG guides, even though I don't own the game that goes with the guide! Here are pics of all the FF guides I own that has ben released so far

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/Final%20Fantasy/photo_024.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/Final%20Fantasy/photo_027.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/Final%20Fantasy/photo_025.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/Final%20Fantasy/photo_026.jpg

Now I'm patiently waiting till the guides for Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, FF XII, and the other two FFCC games get released :D

Constantino
07-02-2005, 12:01 AM
very cool ^^

Yuffie514
07-02-2005, 12:15 AM
i wish they would come in hardback. i can only try to keep mine in good condition.

FinalBob42
07-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Which of those would you consider to be really good and indepth? Which one's the best?

Now, I've heard bad things about some FF guides. FF9's guide, for example (as it constantly redirects you to playonline.com for a lot of information even though most of the links are dead), and FF7's as its incomplete (not talking about some stuff) and has a decent number of errors, especially when it comes to how obtain certain materia.

Crossblades
07-02-2005, 01:56 AM
IMO, the best ones are Origins, Anthology, and Chronicles guides. They cover everything and help you get the full experience of the game

RedCydranth
07-02-2005, 02:00 AM
I own 0 strategy guides as I'm the type who wants to figure it out on my own, and if I have a question, I'll ask someone who has played it, to get a more precise answer. Also, I looked through a few after I played the game and more than once I've seen information that was wrong in the guide. If Square made the guide, not Brady or some other company besides Square, it'd be of more value to me. It escapes me why people buy guides with the game. Where's the challenge if going into a boss fight you know its weaknesses? Sure its useful timewise so you can get everything the first time through the game, but to me, why pay $40.00 for a game if you intend on playing it once? I have played FFT literally 5 times beginning to end, and I never used a strategy guide. I used my brain, the way the programmers intended it to be played. I will occasionally go to GameFAQs.com if I get overly stuck and have 0 other options. But to shell out an additional $20.00 for a guide is beyond me.

FinalBob42
07-02-2005, 02:14 AM
I own 0 strategy guides as I'm the type who wants to figure it out on my own, and if I have a question, I'll ask someone who has played it, to get a more precise answer. Also, I looked through a few after I played the game and more than once I've seen information that was wrong in the guide. If Square made the guide, not Brady or some other company besides Square, it'd be of more value to me. It escapes me why people buy guides with the game. Where's the challenge if going into a boss fight you know its weaknesses? Sure its useful timewise so you can get everything the first time through the game, but to me, why pay $40.00 for a game if you intend on playing it once? I have played FFT literally 5 times beginning to end, and I never used a strategy guide. I used my brain, the way the programmers intended it to be played. I will occasionally go to GameFAQs.com if I get overly stuck and have 0 other options. But to shell out an additional $20.00 for a guide is beyond me.

Many people buy Strategy Guides not for the purpose of simply beating the game but more as Collector's Items. Oftentimes, players want to get every item there is in the game and literally complete *everything*, as well as get the some additional background info (on characters, places, etc).

Generally, I've heard that the quality of FF guides varies greatly. As you've mentioned, a lot of them are full of mistakes, do not go in depth about a lot of the side quests and/or are confusing.

EDIT: btw, most FF guides can be had for $12 at Amazon, pocket money really.

Crossblades
07-02-2005, 02:37 AM
Many people buy Strategy Guides not for the purpose of simply beating the game but more as Collector's Items.

Yeah, that's mostly the reason why I buy Strategy guides. However, I use them if I'm stuck or something

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-02-2005, 03:46 AM
You're nothing if you don't have the FFVII guide published by Versus Books.

beaglegod
07-02-2005, 03:54 AM
My only gripe with RPGs in general is the fact that especialy in the newer titles, secret items and quests can be so obscure I dont see how its possible to get them unless someone tells you about it in a game guide.

Take for instance getting the King Tonberry GF in FF VIII. There is no way I would have figured that after discovering the tower where Odin resides and after figuring out how to get him, that I could get the Tonberry GF by fighting 18-22 tonberries inside the same tower after wich King Tonberry would apear so I could fight him and get him as a GF.

I wish all the secrets followed at least some thread of logic so you didnt have to look at a guide to get everything in the game.

Faith
07-02-2005, 05:46 AM
I have the very first guide for FFVI when it was first released as FFIII. The book is very detailed, and has a lot of nice artwork throughout it. But what is kinda funny is the guide was obviously not checked for errors. In the part of the game where you are supposed to feed Cid fish in order to save him, I never knew that you had the option of saving him. The book states that he will die no matter what you do, so I have always seen the 'suicide' scene with Celes. Until I first started reading the forum boards, I found out it was intended for him to live. :Oo:

Crossblades
07-02-2005, 02:09 PM

Pffft! Brady's version is better :p

FinalBob42
07-02-2005, 08:13 PM

Is there any way to get that in the US online? Or import it from the UK?

EDIT: This isn't what your talking about, is it?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782123783/qid=1120331334/sr=8-13/ref=pd_bbs_ur_13/104-1817430-1343940?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
EDIT2: Or this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782121454/qid=1120331865/sr=8-7/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i7_xgl/202-1588486-1215032
EDIT3: I think the 2nd is actually the Versus Book you're talking about. What makes it so much better than the official guide? Does it cover all the hidden materia, chocobo breeding, etc.? It seems to be out of stock everywhere.
EDIT4: Actually, I found it on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15302&item=8202157979&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
$124.99? HEEEEEEEEELL NO!
EDIT5: Yes, another edit. I say screw this! Off to the FF7 board to look for the best free guide to FFVII.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-02-2005, 08:33 PM
It's totally worth it.

Necronopticous
07-02-2005, 08:35 PM
The Final Fantasy IX Strategy Guide is probably the worst, most useless published strategy guide I've ever seen in my life.

rubah
07-02-2005, 09:16 PM
My strategy guides~

http://www.snowy-day.net/stuff/strategy%20guides.jpg

(sorry, but I was compelled xD I gotta have something to show for all that printer paper wasted xD)

Crossblades
07-03-2005, 03:15 AM
Cheater. You got it for free

rubah
07-03-2005, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't say a ream of paper and ink cartridge was exactly free, but I know what you mean xD

that picture doesn't show exactly how the entire stack is like two inches thick xD

Jpae33
07-04-2005, 02:16 AM
i like collecting them too. i got ff7-x2. oh yeah, i got the special edition ff8 guide with the character cards too its pretty cool. i got that for $2. good find

Lon611
07-12-2005, 06:41 PM
:p i buy strategy guides because of the fact that i would never have guessed certain things in the game. specially with certain celestial weapons in FFX, or how to gain sphere levels so quickly (i believe aeris told me on these same forums). so sometimes it is helpful.

i bought an FFVII guide because i had played it about 3-4 times, getting stuck EACH time, so i finally decided to get a guide. also, it is nice to be time efficient, and be able to get everything the first time, especially when its a "big" game like FFX or VII. but personally, who cares?we all kno we play each game over and over neways...also, it doesn't give tips on how to do everything, like for instance the monster arena/nemesis side quest. it does, but its very shallow...

most games i don't want to tho, because i also want to figure things out by myself.i also look at the strategy guides first, because some of them are just crap. i was planning to buy a guide for Xenosaga cuz i was extremely stuck at the Cathedral Ship, but the strategy guide just didn't seem that informative.

i've never heard of ne1 collecting them tho, even without the game. :p neways, i've been looking for a final fantasy anthology one;does ne1 kno if these are out of print?

Shoeberto
07-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Is that the one that has the artwork of Cloud in a dress?

Madame Adequate
07-12-2005, 07:27 PM
I had about nine different guide things for FFVII from various magazines. I learnt almost everything I know about that game from them.

I have an FFIX, X, and X-2 guide, and my girlfriend has the Chrono Cross guide you showed in the other thread. Also, I have one for Star Ocean 3. I really need to get one for 2, it's one of the few games I play as much as that that I don't have something for.

Also some Suikoden and Vandal Hearts guides would be nice. *sighs* I should have kept all my old collections of Powerstation and stuff, they were awesome.

Chzn8r
07-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Your lot is invalidated without the Nintendo Power FF1 strategy guide- which I have.

Black Mage
07-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Volume 17
PLAY-TO-WIN STRATEGIES STRAIGHT FROM THE PROS

Yeah, I have it too.

Xander
07-12-2005, 08:47 PM
I love strategy guides just for the art and stuff <3 Wind Waker's is the next on my list.

Crossblades
07-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Your lot is invalidated without the Nintendo Power FF1 strategy guide- which I have.

I used to have that one, but I was forced to get rid of it

DJZen
07-12-2005, 09:37 PM
So... Is there even such as thing as a RELIABLE strategy guide for a FF game?

Crossblades
07-14-2005, 03:27 AM
More guides I own

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/Guides/photo_030.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/Guides/photo_031.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/Guides/photo_032.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/Guides/photo_033.jpg

Slothy
07-14-2005, 03:34 AM
I like collecting strategy guides as well, though I rarely spend the money on them lately. I'll never use them on a first playthrough, but sometimes I like flipping through to see if there's anything I missed. I also just like having them there when I do feel like using them to get a special weapon or something. Most of my game systems are in the basement and my computer is two floors up, so it's a bit of a pain to have to go upstairs for something. I'm more of a book type of guy anyway.

ljkkjlcm9
07-14-2005, 03:51 AM
I buy guides with the game because at EB you get a discount on the guide, and I like the guide for the Tables and stuff of all the magic/skills/enemy stats and stuff. I mean FFI on the NES came with a complete guide to all the enemies stats on the back of the world map, and I've always liked to be able to see that when playing an RPG. Also a list of all the weapons and stuff or in a game like Tales of Symphonia with all the different abilities everyone can learn, it's a very useful reference.

THE JACKEL

Crossblades
07-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Also a list of all the weapons and stuff or in a game like Tales of Symphonia with all the different abilities everyone can learn, it's a very useful reference.

THE JACKEL

Ah yes, I own that guide as well :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/Guides/photo_040.jpg

Endless
07-15-2005, 10:49 AM
I have some of the FF games guides (Tactics Adv., CC, FF7, FF8, FFX, FFX-2), but these 4 (see attached pic) are my favorites.

Devourment
07-15-2005, 11:00 AM
I've not read the whole thread, just the first post, so I don't know if someone's already mentioned this, but is there a guide for FFVI?!

I only have a guide for FFIX. I only really buy a guide after I've completed the game. Then I can go through the game & collect everything the second time around. I've never really bothered about getting a guide for VII or VIII. As for the other Final Fantasy's, I only have VI, VII, VIII & IX.. I haven't had time to buy the other FF's.

That guide has so many spelling mistakes in it.

The Final Fantasy IX Strategy Guide is probably the worst, most useless published strategy guide I've ever seen in my life.Seconded.

Crossblades
07-18-2005, 12:39 AM
I've not read the whole thread, just the first post, so I don't know if someone's already mentioned this, but is there a guide for FFVI?!

Yes, it's the FF Anthology guide

Spammerman
07-18-2005, 12:49 AM
I own 2 strategy guides, but i dont use them, it came with the games.I like using my brain to figure out stuff.The only time I can rember using a guide is cause crash needed my help for something, and wanted me to use the guide.

Xalibar
07-31-2005, 12:57 AM
I have lots of guides. I only buy guides for the games i have or games i plan on getting. And only ones that are in english and i can read.

UWAOOOOU
07-31-2005, 01:15 AM
I've found piggyback to be alot better than Brady games but my only expierience with brady games is the FFVII guide and some game boy games. Id love to own some of those guides though. I like drawing the artwork from the games.

Xalibar
07-31-2005, 01:42 AM
Whats piggyback? a guide company?

UWAOOOOU
07-31-2005, 01:46 AM
Whats piggyback? a guide company?Yes, Piggy backs Authorised Collection. They're more selective about what games they make guides for. I dont know if theyre sold outside of Europe but they seem better made than the Brady games guides. I get more of an "official" feel from them. I have theyre guide for VIII, IX, X, X-2 and Kingdom Hearts.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-31-2005, 02:01 AM
BradyGames went way up in quality in 2001 or so. Since then, they've been putting out well-designed comprehensive guides, often containing extraordinary amounts of information. They're still known to make an occasional mistake, but that's to be expected when a guide is so inclusive.

UWAOOOOU
07-31-2005, 10:43 AM
BradyGames went way up in quality in 2001 or so. Since then, they've been putting out well-designed comprehensive guides, often containing extraordinary amounts of information. They're still known to make an occasional mistake, but that's to be expected when a guide is so inclusive.I'll try pciking one up myself. Not that I thought FFVII's guide was bad or anything of the sort. It just wasnt as detailed in several categories as my piggyback guides and they were all much newer. I havent seen a Brady game guide since then except in stores and I havent given them much detail.

Crossblades
08-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Whats piggyback? a guide company?Yes, Piggy backs Authorised Collection. They're more selective about what games they make guides for. I dont know if theyre sold outside of Europe but they seem better made than the Brady games guides. I get more of an "official" feel from them. I have theyre guide for VIII, IX, X, X-2 and Kingdom Hearts.

Think you can provide me scans of that FF IX guide if possible?

UWAOOOOU
08-01-2005, 10:25 PM

Think you can provide me scans of that FF IX guide if possible?
Well I can try taking photos of it with a digital camera but I dont have a scanner. Its old enough and may be becoming a collectors item so it might be hard to find pictures of the inside online.

Crossblades
08-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Take pics please with your digital camera. I really want to see how it looks on the inside

UWAOOOOU
08-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Alright, here you go.

UWAOOOOU
08-02-2005, 01:00 AM
And some more,

Crossblades
08-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Wow

This guide is a lot better than the US version. Thanks :)

Think you can sell it to me? :D

UWAOOOOU
08-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Wow

This guide is a lot better than the US version. Thanks :)

Think you can sell it to me? :DChances are, no :p
It may still be on sale if you find an authorised collection or piggyback site Im sure you could order it if its still in print.
If not ebays a good bet.... http://search.ebay.co.uk/final-fantasy-IX-official-guide_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Glad you enjoyed the pictures :)

Crossblades
08-02-2005, 02:05 AM
Darn

Oh well, I'm watching one of those auctions and hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one

Tasura
10-28-2005, 01:18 AM
he only strategy guide that i can recall owning is the one for Donkey Kong 64, and printed out FFX's cause i needed 1 page.

Jowy
10-28-2005, 03:26 AM
I have a couple of rare ones lying around. Specifically, the Nintendo Power FFVI strat guide, riddled with nonexisting hogwash like Thunder Armor in the items list, Secret of Evermore, Versus Books Ocarina of Time, and Super Mario Brothers 3. My girlfriend has the Earthbound strategy guide, but no scratch and sniff stickers.

I've seen the Versus books FFVII strat guide around a few times but never bothered picking it up. And yes, it does have Miss Cloud in it.

Endless
10-28-2005, 07:37 AM
I have the Phantom Kingdom (Makai Kingdom) Character Collection now, but my digital camera is on a trip outside the house to BlizzCon. I'll add a picture later.

Crossblades
10-29-2005, 12:53 AM
I have a couple of rare ones lying around. Specifically, the Nintendo Power FFVI strat guide, riddled with nonexisting hogwash like Thunder Armor in the items list, Secret of Evermore, Versus Books Ocarina of Time, and Super Mario Brothers 3. My girlfriend has the Earthbound strategy guide, but no scratch and sniff stickers.

I've seen the Versus books FFVII strat guide around a few times but never bothered picking it up. And yes, it does have Miss Cloud in it.

It actually has a picture of Cloud in a dress?:confused:

kikimm
10-29-2005, 03:58 AM
This is a bit too old, so just make a new one please!