PDA

View Full Version : Racism in FFXI

Del Murder
07-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Do certain classes/races in the game stick together and act a certain way towards the other classes/races? Like they are better than them or something? This is important information to me if I ever decide to buy the game down the road.

Necronopticous
07-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Sometimes the Tarutarus line up in Jeuno and go AFK.

There are some linkshells that are themed as "all [insert race here]" linkshells but beside that, not really.

Cyraniel
07-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Some people hate other players based on race and voice it in a very vulgar non-RP way. Also, many people won't invite race/job combos that aren't liked such as Elvaan or Galka mages and Tarutaru melee. There definitely is a social ranking based on jobs. Rare jobs that are in high demand are treated very well while more common jobs are considered refuse.

Garland
07-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Certain jobs and races tend to have behavioral similarities. It's most prevalent amongst Windurstians. Taru dances, extra frequent emotes, Taru-rhyme-speak, Taru players tend to act the part moreso than other races, in my experience. I've seen many a Mithra play out the flirtiness and rolling R's in text also. This is probably because they can do so without causing any offense. If an Elvaan played to the race's arrogance, or Galkas to their anger, they might cause misunderstandings. Humes really weren't given as much of an angle to latch on to.

That said, I don't think there's any interracial conflict. Yes, I was once sat on by a Galka as my Taru, and I'm often the butt of many height jokes, but fortunately they stay jokes. Galkas face jokes as being big and sweaty. I've offered many a Galka a free casting of Deodorize.

If there's any offensive racial issues in the game, it probably comes in the form of crude autotranslator sexual shouting in reference to Mithra, but really, noone takes it seriously. That sort of "OMG he said boob *giggle" humor died in 3rd grade.

The only discrimination in the game is job class based. Melee damage dealers are second class citizens. Tanks get by pretty well, and mages/support jobs get more respect than they deserve. I'm a mage, and I get more respect than I deserve.

All that aside, as long as you have the patience to wait for a party, and you don't try anything new or creative, you'll get along just fine. Your good reputation, or at the least, your lack of a bad reputation will matter much more than your race or job. This game isn't so much about roleplaying as it is about efficient level raising. If you can put out the big numbers, noone would care what you were.

Yuffie514
07-02-2005, 08:25 AM
i'm an Elvaan and this Tarutaru tried to bite my knee...

Luc
07-02-2005, 09:46 AM
i'm an Elvaan and this Tarutaru tried to bite my knee...

He probably just found that to be funny. I do that to my friends when I'm bored, too. =/

Miriel
07-02-2005, 12:09 PM
The racism runs rampant through this game. An Elvaan NPC called me a hume "shrimp" and now I hate all Elvaans forever. Long eared arrogant freaks.

And don't even get me started on the untrustworthiness of Mithras (not suprising given that they're all Men). Put on some damn pants! Galkas are even worse, always whining and complaining about being treated as second class citizens. Well maybe if they weren't so fat, they might be treated better. Atkins, anyone? The Tarus aren't as bad but that's only because their sole purpose on Vana'diel is to provide amusement for the other races. They're useful to punt around for fun and boy is it hilarious to see a Taru get knocked out in one hit because of their atrocious HP.

Humes are good at everything. Or more accurately, we excel at absolutely nothing. We are the models of mediocrity.

Freakin' Elvaan/Mithra/Galka/Taru/Humes.

Craig
07-02-2005, 01:11 PM
All that aside, as long as you have the patience to wait for a party, and you don't try anything new or creative, you'll get along just fine.

I love that sentence right there.

Mirage
07-02-2005, 03:30 PM
That Three Kingdoms elvaan NPC called me a "ball of fur". I hate elvaans. Apart from that, I haven't noticed too much of it, except the japanese people tend to stick to themselves. When it comes to strange race/job choices, I don't care too much about that when picking party members :P. Sure, if there's both a galka whm and a taru whm LFPing, I choose the taru, but I don't think "omg he sux bt i have no choice" if there's only a galka avaliable.

Lionx
07-02-2005, 09:16 PM
I rarely have job/racial problems. I do notice that all (well ok not all but alot) of Elvaan players tend to act a little...more arrogant and RWAR I R MELEE BLAOW BLAOW! Kinda thing. Sometimes it gets too much D:

Most real female Mithras i played with are actually kinda either playful or flirtious...and Tarus tend to be either silly/reserved or just stupid depending on the job they play(mage Tarus tend to think they are too good while most melee ones are the former). Humes depends, Humes with hair are more polite and usually mage classes more than bald ones. I havent seen alot of Galkas lately but most are pretty polite with the few exceptional molestation ones XD;

I say as long as you try something different and prove that it works in most situations, (like with statistics and every detail) then it will eventually be accepted. Theres a difference between a WAR/WHM and a properly equipped post 51 NIN/BLM and those that say SUBJOB COMBOS DO NOT MATTER! I PLAY WHAT I LIEK SCEW J00! >_>a

Japanese players can either stick to themselves and greif NA players, or they can be one of the nicest. Japanese people are quite selective about foreigners(their kanji even says that) and would rather stay with people they can talk with. Actual race discrimmination only comes with newb players, poorly equipped players, or in tough HNM or BC Battles where its exponentially hard, and race just might make a little difference there. Otherwise nope, i rarely see any discrimmination. Of course i would say that a Galka WHM with search comments will outbeat any Taru WHM without one seeking any day.

Duane3.0
07-02-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm not racist against a race... but i love to step on my taru friends :D. I'm an elvaan. Although i hate the taru npcs that somehow find a way to incorporate the word "taru" in all of their sentences... so i guess i hate all taru npcs :rolleyes2.

Lionx
07-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Ohhhseee nooeeesseeeeyy!! ; ;

Ouch!
07-03-2005, 07:11 PM
The only real race descrimination you'll come across in-game is from the NPCs. I've noticed that there are always hardcore nationalists in Windurst, San d'Oria, and Bastok. However, in San d'Oria most all NPCs seem to be racist, but you get over that quickly.

As an Elvaan I occasionally went into Elvaan-supremacy mode, but that was mainly in playful linkshell arguments over what race was best.

As a taru, I do act quite silly. I have a set of macros for emotes including things such as giggle, huggle, and the taru panic dance. I don't speak like a taru NPC often, but I do generally act a little childish. I suppose it just happens naturally that you end up playing the part.

I've noticed that people seem to care less and less about race/job combinations as they level up and there are always factors that will over-ride any doubts of your capabilities.

I've played as a taru WAR and now I'm playing taru DRK and I've never had any real trouble getting a party. As a WAR I was the main tank on many occasions and I did just fine.

As long as you can show that you know what you're doing (use search comments, use food, keep up to date with equipment, and raise your rank at the appropriate times) nobody will have any reason to hate on you because of your race or your job. Except maybe those Elvaan NPCs.

DJZen
07-03-2005, 07:14 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with Tarus.

I love the Taru dance, but I HATE how everything has to rhyme and end with "aru". God do I hate that... But Tarus ARE filled with a delicious nougat center, so I can't bring myself to hate them.

Vaprice
07-03-2005, 11:47 PM
I tend to be racist againts mithras...why? Because I'm elvaan and don't have a cool tail like they do!!!!! *cry cry*

But yeah what zaphy waphy said was correct like OMG Sandy!!!! really racist againts like any other nation.....we're insecure most of the time xD

Yuffie514
07-05-2005, 01:21 AM
racist report on a Mithran NPC denouncing an Elvaan citizen as an "underling". yea, NPCs are the meanest. no worries, i'll strap a leash around her neck and make her live in my Mog House and soon she be a domesticated house cat.

purrrrrrfect!

crashNUMBERS
07-05-2005, 03:11 AM
Yeah don't you hate thse galka taking all your space and breathing air?? j/k

Croyles
07-12-2005, 01:00 AM
ahhhhh ffxi race stereotyping, i guess i should never have been an elvaan because people will think im arrogant ><. no, i just wanted to have fun being a warrior, then a monk, then a paladin and then a ranger. and then maybe ill go over to the mage classes, and get picked on my billions of people for being a elvaan mage...
But honestly, there isnt much 'race racism :rolleyes2'

Creed
07-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Uhh I havent been able to play because my computer aint got the right things for it.Im 99.7% sure ill be a hume so I will be ok...right?

omnislasher
08-27-2005, 09:02 AM
here's some final fantasy racism for you.. have you ever noticed that there are absolutely no options to make a black hume? the closest thing to it is a native american-looking one with red tattoos under his eyes. but everyone else is white. maybe the galka could be considered black, but thats a stretch. tarutarus can be asians because they are tiny tiny people. anyone have anything for the other races??

Lionx
08-27-2005, 09:15 AM
And the minute theres no black guy, they rally, if only everytime i can do that when theres no asian guy.

lordblazer
08-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Well when your in valkrum and you found the only WHM looking for a PT. Man that WHM goes power hungry and thinks whatever he does does., If you get on his wrong side he'll maroon your whole PT and join another PT. Tarutaru WHM's are nortorious for this.

KentaRawr!
10-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I have only seen real racism from NPC's. Something you could call racism would be the process of picking members for your group. If there were 2 White mages, a Galka and a Taru, you should pick the Taru because they have very high MP. Or if there were 2 Paladins, a Galka and a Taru, you should choose the Galka, because they have high defense.

Sometimes there are Linkshells that only allow 1 race, but besides those 3, I have seen no racism.

Destai
10-07-2005, 05:12 PM
But Tarus ARE filled with a delicious nougat center, so I can't bring myself to hate them.brilliant.

bipper
10-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Well based of Racism of real life, as some posts have found their way to. You should played Asheron's Call. (the origional one).

Your races were a white guy, whom had higher physical stats. A black man, whom had an emphasis on magic. Or an Asian with very good speed.

I never seen such a rasist community! ^^

DJZen
10-07-2005, 10:05 PM
tarutarus can be asians because they are tiny tiny people.

Wow, that's not at all racist *cough*YaoMing*cough*

Why are there no black people on Vana Diel? Because it's not Earth, Humes evolved differently than humans so skin tones never got to be very dark.

I've partied with VERY few Galka. I'm not even sure how many of them there are, but I don't think many play on Midgardsormr. There IS one named Originalg who I swear to god acts exactly like Ternaldo.

Lionx
10-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Something you could call racism would be the process of picking members for your group. If there were 2 White mages, a Galka and a Taru, you should pick the Taru because they have very high MP. Or if there were 2 Paladins, a Galka and a Taru, you should choose the Galka, because they have high defense.

Incredibly untrue, it really depends. If i partied with a Galka mage or a Taru tank that was incredibly good i will stick with that person the next time i see him seeking. Skill is much more greater than gear. That and usually a Taru tank and Galka mage have to be good. Outside of lvl 30, those races have to excel somewhat at what they do else they risk many things that will hinder them so usually a good galka mage is better than a taru mage with MP Conservation and not overnuking/etc because they know the dynamics more. Granted a Taru might know the same thing, but you for sure know that just about every galka mage would know it whereas you never know with a Taru one, and vice versa with tanks.

That and Galka tanks as PLDs....eh PLDs are the worst way to actually look at this. Their MP Pool greatly decides what kind of hate holding capabilities he/she will have and how their hate gain/mantienence be conducted. Of all the jobs i find that PLD is the job that greatly has the most difference between races and i find it to be the worst one to compare racially. @_@ A galka PLD will have vastly different gear from the medium (which is an Elvaan PLD for most) and will surely be different from a Taru PLD.

DJZen
10-08-2005, 08:42 PM
I see more Taru PLDs and MNKs than I see Galka mages. And I mean by ratio, not by number. Almost all the Galka I see are WARs and occasionally PLDs.

abrojtm
10-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Well, the races were made to be better/worse at certain things, and choosing a Taru WHM over a Galka WHM could be considered "Racism," but other than that, there's little "I hate _____" going on.

PS: 10,000th FFXI post

Bahamut2000X
10-15-2005, 11:44 PM
While from my experiences I haven't seen much racism in FFXI, (well if you exclude my IRL friends who play who believe all Galka should be destroyed O.o) but there's definitly some jobism-izing going on. The biggest case I can think of though is the whole DRK-DRG debate. It seems if your on one side, you have to instantly believe the other side is inferior in every way. Granted here on Cait Sith it is pretty true that most DRK's suck. And no I don't just say that because of my position of being a 50 DRG.... <_< >_>.

DJZen
10-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Just the other day Omniheart said to Strawberryman something about Tarus not having souls.

Lionx
10-16-2005, 12:38 AM
BANSTICK ON! *smack* XD

DJZen
10-16-2005, 12:56 AM
To be fair though, Straws is a pretty horrible person, always killing kittens.... ;D

strawberryman
10-16-2005, 01:14 AM
To be fair though, Straws is a pretty horrible person, always killing kittens.... ;D
I don't kill them, you do. :mad:

I just... 'dispose' of their remains. *burp*

Vaprice
10-17-2005, 04:07 AM
he's asian???

DJZen
10-19-2005, 07:30 AM
I don't kill them, you do. :mad:

I just... 'dispose' of their remains. *burp*

Oh please, like you don't remember the one you ate while it was still alive. Or for that matter, the subsequent rummaging around in my sack o' kittens which has brought about the complete dissapation of Quiz Time as we know it. :p

AND I WAS ONLY PUTTING THEM DOWN BECAUSE THEY WERE RABID!

zellv2
10-20-2005, 10:06 PM
FFXI doea have a bit of racism like why can't you be black in it which is not fair at all don't you think:mad2:

Lionx
10-21-2005, 02:09 AM
Right..>_>;

DJZen
10-21-2005, 03:40 AM
*cough*

Why are there no black people on Vana Diel? Because it's not Earth, Humes evolved differently than humans so skin tones never got to be very dark.

Yup, addressed that issue already.

zellv2
10-22-2005, 12:32 PM
sorry about that must read through more carefully lol:choc2: