PDA

View Full Version : A link between two antagonists?

ThroneofDravaris
07-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Found this a while back, not sure if this is old news or not.

I while ago, I was going through my Evangelion Manga and I found a nice little piece of information on the System Sephiroticum. (WAIT, that isn’t the point of the thread, bear with me).

As most people know, the name “Sephiroth” was derived from this. I’m not sure what relevance the Tree of Life has to anything, especially since most of the other religious devices are from Norse Mythology, but there you go. Anyway, I stumble across this passage in the text:

However, the pattern does accurately describe fundamental Jewish Kabbalistic beliefs: to wit, that the ten “sephirah (the word, which in the original Hebrew, is an ancestor of the English “cipher”) shown in the diagrams, are attributes of God…

Pay close attention to the comparison between the words Sepirah and Cipher. Now, is it just me, or are these words extremely close to Sephiroth and Seifer? It is said that Cipher was derived from Sephirah, so do you think that it is at all possible that Square, in naming Seifer, were making a reference to how similar they made him to Sephiroth (in appearance, not personality)? Maybe it’s just a random coincidence, but it would be nice to think that this sort of thought goes into our FF games…

Thoughts?

boys from the dwarf
07-02-2005, 08:24 PM
alot of FF is based around legend but sephiroth could be based around that but i think seifer is just the translation but FF is highly based around legend like lich,marilth,kraken and tiamat or bahamut and shiva even gilgamesh and odinso dont be too suprised if your theory is correct which i believe it to be in some aspects.

Alexander
07-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Now that you mention it... @_@

Man, I bet someday Square will mock Tomino Yoshiyuki and do a FF answer to Turn-A Gundam (in Turn-A, there is the Dark History that leads to the theory that all Gundam universes are related) :love: :love: *is bricked*

Yuffie514
07-03-2005, 04:29 AM
once i looked into a book at my school library (perhaps about angels) and found this interesting piece on Sephiroth. i even was amused enough to photo-copy it, but i'm not adding an attachment. however, i did find this:

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=9066586

sefira does sound a little like Seifer, depending on how some may interpret it. just so you may like to know ;) .

Skyblade
07-03-2005, 10:23 AM
once i looked into a book at my school library (perhaps about angels) and found this interesting piece on Sephiroth. i even was amused enough to photo-copy it, but i'm not adding an attachment. however, i did find this:

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=9066586

sefira does sound a little like Seifer, depending on how some may interpret it. just so you may like to know ;) .

Read that again. The plural of "any of the emanations by which God was said to become manifest"? That is not an accidental name. Someone in the FF staff was having fun. After all, "God" becoming manifest was Sephy's whole plan in FFVII.

I'm not sure about the Seifer bit, but I appreciate the info on Sephiroth.

Armisael
07-03-2005, 11:48 AM
F
Pay close attention to the comparison between the words Sepirah and Cipher. Now, is it just me, or are these words extremely close to Sephiroth and Seifer? It is said that Cipher was derived from Sephirah, so do you think that it is at all possible that Square, in naming Seifer, were making a reference to how similar they made him to Sephiroth (in appearance, not personality)? Maybe it’s just a random coincidence, but it would be nice to think that this sort of thought goes into our FF games…

Thoughts?
Now you mention it you may be right..There may be a connection..
*runs to the Eva manga to check it*