PDA

View Full Version : mortal kombat haters.

boys from the dwarf
07-02-2005, 09:02 PM
my friend was wondrin becuase in the thread where i said sonya and tifas storylines have similaritys half of you said MK sucks an my friend ws wondrin why because hes big mortal komat fan and has about ten different mortal komat dvds and has a lot of mortal kombat games too
i can see why some of you dont like it becuase of the storyline is kinda random and leads to almost nothin and some of the effects and stuff are dodgy but it isnt too bad and at least ive seen worse films so whats your reasons for hating it. :confused:

Rye
07-02-2005, 09:04 PM
I like how they say Mortal Kombat when it starts. MORTOOOOO KOOOOHMBAAAAAAAAAAT.

Meat Puppet
07-02-2005, 09:04 PM
JOEL IS MY BEST FRIEND IN THE WORLD.

Shoeberto
07-02-2005, 09:05 PM
I enjoy Mortal Kombat, personally.

Rase
07-02-2005, 09:06 PM
*Patiently waits for Joel to notice the thread*

Oh yeah, I think the 2D ones were pretty good. I never really got good at the newer 3D ones, but that's just me.

As for the movie, well, I never saw it.

Erdrick Holmes
07-02-2005, 09:16 PM
... No, I'm not even gonna bother, have fun playing your crappy games.

Cloud No.9
07-02-2005, 09:17 PM
it was dull and slow. and shallow.

the films. were just crap. in very possible way. were badly scripted. badly acted. badly directed.

DJZen
07-02-2005, 09:36 PM
I liked the first game a lot, the later games I think went a little too far overboard and the novelty of the fatalities had worn off, and the characters were just progressively less imaginative. Stryker? He's just some random guy! What the heck? (okay, maybe that's unfair, I used to play as him all the time.) As far as the movies go, the second one was crap. And when I say crap I mean SHEER crap. It was just a character introduction cram session with little to offer in terms of plot or character development. The first one was great though. It was essentially an updated version of Enter The Dragon that featured a white guy as a Chinese god with a Japanese name. The effects are pretty bad now, but at the time they were actually fairly good. The laughability of the dialogue is overshadowed by the fight scenes as well as the time tested plot. It's a perfectly good martial arts film. On an ironic side note, the actor who played Liu Kang in the game (Ho Sung Pak) co-starred on a children's martial arts TV show with another actor (Hakeem Alston) who WAS in the film (the nameless staff fighter who Liu Kang fights early on in the tournament), but Liu Kang in the movie was played by a completely different actor (Robin Shou). Trivia is fun, eh? :)

On another note, the TV series MK Conquest was infinitely more interesting for its plotline than the movie. I used to watch it whenever I could.

boys from the dwarf
07-02-2005, 09:39 PM
im not the biggest mortal kombat fan but it was o.k but i can see where cloudno.9 is coming from and also i think the opening theme tune and some of the others were the best parts.oh and darth holmes i would like to know why you hate it becase i need reasons.

Del Murder
07-02-2005, 09:54 PM
I like MK. The gameplay is fun and the fatalities are entertaining.

Shoeberto
07-02-2005, 09:55 PM
oh and darth holmes i would like to know why you hate it becase i need reasons.
ohgoodnessno.

Meat Puppet
07-02-2005, 09:58 PM
I wonder if he would still hate it if Chun-Li got drafted to MK.

Dreddz
07-02-2005, 10:03 PM
the originals were fun, but the new ones are crap sticks

boys from the dwarf
07-02-2005, 10:07 PM
street fighter vs MK any bets?it mentions stryker in the films.the only completely made up characters are kintaro and the new ones on MK deception.the fatalities on the games are cool so i like the games more than the films.and also mortal kombat has robin shou in it to play lui kang and robin has a realy amazing part in beverly hills ninja (does anyone know what other films robin shous in?)
and i see what gibbi means about new and old MKs because to oldies were great.

Lionx
07-02-2005, 10:23 PM
The problem? MK is all about Fatailties. It doenst have much more depth then that. No Crossovers, openings for Supers, or in other words it cannot be played at a tournament level. Its a just-for-fun game, and just-for-fun games usually are not considered even to be a valued fighting game. You need to have competition, and fighting games die a painful death if theres not enough depth in the fighting mechanics to keep it strong like MvC2, CvS2, GGXX, and SF3. Thats why you see those in fighting game tournaments and not MK.

EDIT: BTW MK is horribly clunky even for normal moves.

NM
07-02-2005, 11:00 PM
oh and darth holmes i would like to know why you hate it becase i need reasons.

Trust us when we say you don't want to ask that question. :D

Mortal Kombat game's are crap. Always have been. Always will be. It's like EA sports game's. People buy them cause they have proper team name's and logo's even though there the same old rehashed rubbish from last year. It's the same with MK games, except the logo's and team name's are gore and fatalities.

Craig
07-02-2005, 11:10 PM
I used to enjoy MK2 on the SNES back when I knew no better, now I find the gameplay to be very tedious.

That being said, it does have it's good points.

1. I love the guy who appears on screen and says "Toasty!" when you uppercut someone.

2. I love the "MORTAL KOMBAT" followed by the theme tune.

3. The movies, although very badly scripted, acted and directed just as Cloud No. 9 has said, were still VERY enjoyable to me. The first one especially.

EDIT Oh, and I loved MK Conquest.

radyk05
07-03-2005, 12:17 AM
i too am curious of why joel hates mk. the street fighters don't have much of a storyline either so that most not be it. and the movie (the van dam movie, that is) sucked too (plus the anime movie was not too awesome, either). i like mk. not as much as sreet fighter MXXIVetcetc but i like it.

Shoeberto
07-03-2005, 12:24 AM
1. I love the guy who appears on screen and says "Toasty!" when you uppercut someone.
I always thought it was "Whoopsie!"

Craig
07-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Me too. Until a friend told me it was toastie.

DJZen
07-03-2005, 01:18 AM
2. I love the "MORTAL KOMBAT" followed by the theme tune.

That's not the theme song. That was a weird little musical excursion outsourced to a couple dance music producers who were gaining notoriety at the time. On another note, it's a COMPLETE rip-off of Twilight Zone by 2 Unlimited.

See here for more info: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Immortals,+The

Craig
07-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Well I love it all the same.

Polnareff
07-03-2005, 01:56 AM
i too am curious of why joel hates mk. the street fighters don't have much of a storyline either so that most not be it. and the movie (the van dam movie, that is) sucked too (plus the anime movie was not too awesome, either). i like mk. not as much as sreet fighter MXXIVetcetc but i like it.

Something tells me you haven't read any of the "All About Capcom" books, or even the SF plot guide... I think you should give the SF canon another chance.

The reasons I don't like MK are:

1. Choppy gameplay
2. Everyone has the same normal moves O_o
3. Blocking always seems to work at random, and never when it should
4. The story is just.....cliched and overdone.
5. Not enough variety in characters (at least not until MK4)

Oddly enough, I only like the 3D MK games, since the characters don't all have the same moves and blocking is more responsive, on top of the story not being as crappy as the other MKs O_o

On that note, I saw MK: Annihilation the other day and I liked it, but some of the action reminded me of Power Rangers >_>

SomethingBig
07-03-2005, 02:24 AM
The first one was pretty good for its time. All the others aren't worth 2 seconds. It's one of those games that play on OMFG DOOD I BIRNT HIS HED!!! When compared to real fighting games like Tekken and Virtua Fighter, it is complete /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. I wanted to use a better word, but this one was too perfect in describing this series.

Markus. D
07-03-2005, 05:13 AM
i loved the first one, especcialy the cliff hanger at the end.

i loved the second one even more, kitana's blade fans are awesome.

i love the games to, especially the sequal to dark alliance.

Pheesh
07-03-2005, 05:33 AM
hahahaha....cliff hanger!!! I GET IT!!!!....HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA.

i like mortal kombat. i got deception for christmas and i still find it so much fun if you have a group of friend over your house and you want a bash at something. unfortunately i havn't go the internet cable and i can't play it online which is a shame because it seems like fun. also, one of the best things about mk is the combo's. not only do they supply you with a large number of combo's pre-set onto 3 different fighting styles but if you work at it you can make your own set of 25 hit wonders. I can see where people are coming from and i know that it's not everyones game but it is not terrible. I've also noted that people who like sf usually don't like mk.

Peace out and :rock:
EE

XxSephirothxX
07-03-2005, 05:34 AM
I didn't really enjoy the old ones--they just felt too slow to me--but I thought a few of the newer ones were mildly entertaining. I'd never buy one, but they were fun to play occassionally with friends. I always thought Sub Zero was pretty cool. As for the movies, though...eh, I thought they were pretty bad. After reading this thread, I think I can just barely remember the TV series. I must have seen it once or twice. :p

Excelsior
07-03-2005, 06:31 AM
i just didnt like them because as far as fighting games go, they werent really that fun. they were pretty cool at first when i was little and all the blood factor, but after I grew out of that, I dug through the mountanous layers of gore and found that the fighting just isnt that much fun. and the characters are pretty damn unintresting too. street fighter is definately the best fighting series, in my opinion.

Markus. D
07-03-2005, 07:16 AM
by the way, is it dark or deadly... i dont remember.

Spammerman
07-03-2005, 05:55 PM
i like the mk movies, games and cartoon.

Erdrick Holmes
07-03-2005, 06:15 PM
EVerybody here said all of the stuff I could have ever said. I just have a genorus disliking towards sucky games.

radyk05
07-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Something tells me you haven't read any of the "All About Capcom" books, or even the SF plot guide...

All about Capcom? BOOKS?????? man, that is the nerdest coment i have ever read. and Sf actually have a plot?

"this guy is helding a tournement. im in search of the perfect fight. i'll join." thats about it for ryu.

"this guy is helding a tournement. maybe my buddy ryu will join. i'll join." ken.

"guy who i hate holding a tournement. i'll join to kill him." chun-li.

i don't see too much dept in that. the game is awesome but don't tell me that any fighting game has a deep plot because they don't. tekken is the only fighting game that i know of that takes the plot the furdest and its not that deep either.

Polnareff
07-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Capcom spent time on the gameplay BEFORE they started on the story, instead of vice-versa like Midway did with MK. That's why most of the SF story you have to get in book form. The story is not as simple as it has been conveyed in the games.

Erdrick Holmes
07-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Where can I buy these SF books at?

Polnareff
07-03-2005, 08:19 PM
You have to import most of them from Japan, but IIRC, Udon Comics just released one of them in the US, so you can buy it at your local comic store.

Mo-Nercy
07-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Mortal Kombat isn't bad. Anyone who considers themselves a fighting game fanatic would simply fall in love with the huge amounts of blood. Someone said that MK had a cliched storyline...What fighting game doesn't? It's always a tournament, a bid to save the world or something like that.

The gameplay reminds me of Super Smash Bros though, in that everyone has the same basic moves + a couple of unique ones. It's simplistic in the way it's presented and the way it plays but that's not necessarily a bad thing, after all, the same thing can be said about Little Fighter 2. I will personally deposit some sort of ticking device in the mailbox of anyone who dares to say LF2 is a bad game...

Bottom line, Mortal Kombat
:D :D :D :D :D :D _ _ _ _ (6 out of 10)

Hroth
07-05-2005, 03:26 AM
I like MK, mostly because it HAS a storyline that isn't completely lame. Compared to other fighting games that have somewhat lame storylines this one had a good one and a back story for each character and basically, was more fun to play because you got to know the characters and then something happened to them and what not. I think it is one of the greatest fighting franchises there is. Soul Calibur and Street Fighter are in there as well, but MK had a little touch of humor that the others didn't have.

Lionx
07-05-2005, 03:43 AM
The point is do you play fighting games for game mechanics or story? I say both, but what weighs more in a successful fighting game? Its always, game mechanics. RPGs are just the other way around. Different genre guys dont hold Street Fighter and Final Fantasy under the same standards because they are different to begin with.

BTW Dan Humour > MK.

Markus. D
07-05-2005, 05:49 AM
Konquest had a story, the only parts that screwed it to hell was.

as he walked into the pool he grew old blah blah, the rest was awesome.

nik0tine
07-05-2005, 06:40 AM
The Mortal Kombat movies are great.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Never was entirely too fond of it, my cousin will buy it and we'll play the game until we get all of the fatalities in, and then get bored and move on. Not really worth it.

boys from the dwarf
07-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Which konquest.the konquest film series or the conquest game on mortal kombat deception?mortal kombat i would (seems as the story isnt the most complex and it leaves a lot unanswered and i prefer tekkens gameplay and storyline to martal kombats although they are even for storylines.)give a 6.5/10 maybe 7/10 so it is good but still the scecial effects arent paridise and there are some drawbacks.