PDA

View Full Version : Live 8 Opinions

Cz
07-03-2005, 05:34 PM
The Pink Floyd performance is being discussed in its own thread, but the rest of the event seems to have been overlooked. Surely an occasion such as this deserves some discussion?

I was lucky enough to get hold of a pair of tickets for the Hyde Park show, and it really was an astonishing event to behold. The fans had such spirit, and to see over a million people across the globe was a fantastic sight. What's more, during the event over thirty million people (does anyone know the exact figure?) pledged their support to the cause, showing that the campaign has the public's full support.

The music was of course what we were all there for, and the artists on show really gave it their all. Pink Floyd were of course magnificent, but REM, Annie Lennox and U2 also put in strong performances. Even performers I don't usually have a lot of time for (like Keane and Dido) were impressive.

There were some low points, of course. Pete Doherty managed to make a fool of himself as usual, and Mariah Carey's on-stage antics earned her a few boos from our section, but these moments will soon be forgotten, as they couldn't stop Live 8 from being a huge success.

What did everyone think of the day, and did anyone else go to one of the concerts? More importantly, do you think that the concerts will have an impact on the G8 summit?

tomamar04
07-03-2005, 05:58 PM
I thought the Hyde park concert was very good. REM and U2 were brilliant.

But I doubt the Live 8 concerts will change much, I can't see the US and Japan increasing aid too much, though the European countries are more likely to.

Itsunari 2000
07-03-2005, 06:42 PM
The whole thing was phenonemal.All those people singing along to " Hey Jude " ... magical.

Dreddz
07-03-2005, 06:47 PM
I thought it was pretty crap...

T-MaN
07-03-2005, 08:10 PM
It was awesome! I say it better have an impact on the G8, but who really knows right? All we gotta do now is wait it up.

krissy
07-03-2005, 09:00 PM
great

robbie williams was really having fun up there you could tell 8-)

Alive-Cat
07-03-2005, 09:02 PM
I loved live 8. I just stayed in my house all day and watched it. I think Faithless were pretty ok. Also, The Who rocked!

Chris
07-03-2005, 09:05 PM
I loved Björk's performance "All Is Full of Love" from Tokyo!

Meat Puppet
07-03-2005, 10:28 PM
It would be good but I was watching from television where the horny camera man had to keep on getting close ups of ugly crowd goers so I had to keep going toilet. :(

Chaos
07-03-2005, 10:33 PM
I thought it was pretty great.
I didn't watch all cos I had an urge to go roll around in the garden and I also had to work. But what I saw I liked.

I really respect Bob Geldof for what he is doing. Say what you will, he has the comittment and will to get of his rear and DO something instead of just mouthing empty promises. Even if the something amounts to naught really.

Robbie Williams was very good, as was The Killers.

Pete Doherty made a bit of an idiot of himself...but, whats new.

Chaos

Madame Adequate
07-03-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm glad the consensus is the World Leader Coldplay Fanclub - AKA the G8 - will listen to this. I mean, it's good to raise awareness and all, but I'm pretty sure it'd have been wiser to say 'We believe poverty needs to be ended, please give it due consideration; look how many people agree.', but that doesn't get as much attention as 'Lots of people are dying, follow this largely unworkable and damaging economic prescription! From musicians!'

Aid won't help, debt cancellation won't help, trade might help, but really the only way to sort Africa out is to go in there ourselves and take control. Unfortunately, that would likely make Viet Nam look like a picnic. Nevermind the protesters. As it is, I do have at least some hope that the commitment to only helping reforming governments might help a little, but yeah, it's largely ineffective self-aggrandizement and guilt abjuration.

-N-
07-04-2005, 12:17 AM
I would love to actually experience Hey Jude live one day rather than having to watch it, because I get such a rush from watching that song performed live and the audience compeletely losing themselves in it - it's ecstasy.

I would have killed to be at Hyde Park. Coachella-type continuous concerts are always an amazing musical experience.

Aurey
07-04-2005, 12:51 AM
I only watched little bits of all of the Live 8 concerts.

I do remember watching people at the Barrie, Ontario show, booing Rex Murphy because he wrote basically all what I'm my own MILF just said in the Globe and Mail or some other newspaper, I can't remember. I was extremely displeased.

Mitch
07-04-2005, 05:49 AM
The Who were amazing! Muse were mindblowing (Even if it was only one song). Robbie Williams was great. Green Day were top, but went on a bit too long I thought. Stereophonics were awesome. U2 were, of course fantastic.

Motley Crue sucked!

Bon Jovi also rocked.

Devourment
07-04-2005, 01:04 PM
I thought it was pretty crap...Like you think everything is..

Cz
07-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I would love to actually experience Hey Jude live one day rather than having to watch it, because I get such a rush from watching that song performed live and the audience compeletely losing themselves in it - it's ecstasy.

I would have killed to be at Hyde Park. Coachella-type continuous concerts are always an amazing musical experience.To be honest, Hey Jude didn't have the impact it should have done, since it wasn't played in its entirety. The singalong was magical, but without the steady build-up the song lost something for me.

Even with this minor complaint, it was still one of the best moments of the night, and rounded off the show brilliantly. It's doubtful that we'll ever see a concert like it again, so a moment like that is truly unique and is what made Live 8 so special.

Devourment
07-05-2005, 08:48 AM
I loved Björk's performance "All Is Full of Love" from Tokyo! :eek: I never knew she was performing.. Do you know anywhere where I can find it?

Mitch
07-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Oh yeah, Audioslave also sucked.