PDA

View Full Version : best boss fight in a game

Constantino
07-06-2005, 06:18 AM
I was just wondering what does everyone think the best boss fight is in any game you have every played that really got you going on the egde of your seat with exicitement?

SomethingBig
07-06-2005, 06:29 AM
The fight with Ganon in OoT. He wasn't the hardest final boss ever, but it was such an epic battle.

Pheesh
07-06-2005, 06:34 AM
i loved the kingdom hearts 1 on 1 fight with ansem/riku at the heart keyhole. That was so fast paced, lots of fun.

Peace out and :rock:
EE

Rase
07-06-2005, 09:12 AM
The fight with Ganon in OoT. He wasn't the hardest final boss ever, but it was such an epic battle.

Behold the Void
07-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Hmmm...

Probably the final fight between Naked Jehuty and Aumaan Anubis in Zone of the Enders 2. Quite epic indeed.

There are other good ones, of course. The fight against Altima in FFT springs to mind.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Probably the Ocelot fight in Metal Gear Solid 3.
Ocelot is an awesome character, and considering his personality in MGS and MGS2, you have to appreciate that this is his first ever battle using his trademark Cold Single Action Army revolver. You get to witness first-hand the way he first falls in love with the weapon with lines like, "I've never felt a tension like this before... That's so different from simply changing a clip! This reload time is exhilarating!!!"
He's darting around and taking cover all over the place, and you have to do the same, both in order to get a shot at him and to avoid getting shot yourself.
His cronies offscreen shout encouragement at him and taunt you if you're losing the fight. I guess it's amusing to me because they're so loyal and reverent towards him even though he's barely twenty years old.
The rolling tumbleweeds, quick-draw contests, and dramatic spaghetti-western music set the perfect "showdown" atmosphere.

Heath
07-06-2005, 10:20 AM

I always enjoyed the Twinrova battle more than fighting Ganon, but Ganon was definitely a top notch fight.

The boss battle against Meta-Ridley in Metroid Prime was very much <3

Markus. D
07-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Geryon from DMC3 was definetly my faveorite fight.

it was so fast paced, even with Geryon slowing down time to its slowest kept you on your guard... because when Geryon did that, the heathen shot all these projectiles at you (including surrounding you with spears, giving you little time to react before *plays gory sound effect*)

PhoenixAsh
07-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Possibly the K.Rool fight in Diddy's Kong Quest. Me and a friend of mine were playing coop at some wierd hour in the morning when we reached him. We were both tired, and discovered we could usually only beat certain sections of him each, so the match actually worked in coop with one of us beating a section, tagging or dieing and swapping back and forth.

There have been some pretty cool boss fights in the Spider-Man games. Goblin in the first PS2 game was fun, as was the big robot thing. Ock was good in the second. Then theres the extra combinations of bosses (though I didn't like Calypso). Before then there were some pretty fun bosses in the PS1 games. I played a Mega-Drive game as well where near the end you were fighting four bosses at once, I can't remember who, but it was pretty tricky :D.

Back when I first played FFVII the bosses in that were fantastic, espescially with the music. For a beginner the difficulty levels were great, it required planning to win. There were loads of great fights in there, from the very first (if you don't know about it's tail), through Demon Gate, Schizo, WEAPONS, Sephiroth, with various other ones thrown in there as well.

DK
07-06-2005, 01:24 PM
I always liked fighting the Ninja in Metal Gear Solid one, but i'm not really sure why. The End in MGS3 is mine though, it's such a cool fight, just battling it out with this sniper dude, the lack of music and huge areas just make it so atmospheric, it's great.

Markus. D
07-06-2005, 02:36 PM
i have another fave boss

The final boss in P.N.03

ooooh its psycho

you need to use vanessa's dodging, shootin and energy drive abilities to their fullest.

a very well done final boss.

Rye
07-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Bowser in the end of N64, of course. xD

lordblazer
07-06-2005, 03:26 PM
1.The Boss fight against Jetc on FF10

2.The boss fight against Jack on Fable

3.I would have to say Dagoth Ur from morrowind but I dunno Alexmaxia kinda holds this title.

4.Sephiroth fights form FF7

5.Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors series.

Medi
07-06-2005, 03:38 PM
the nightmare in Metroid Fusion, and the mother brain battle in super metroid

Excelsior
07-06-2005, 04:27 PM
every boss battle from every MGS game.

Spammerman
07-06-2005, 04:50 PM

LU Bu is easy.

lordblazer
07-06-2005, 05:15 PM

LU Bu is easy.
not when your a freaking noob lol seriously lol i fought him witha character that was never lvled.

Erdrick Holmes
07-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Bison on Street Fighter Alpha 3. The music, his difficulty, his quotes, everything about that battle ruled. Which is why Bison is THE best villain any video game can ever create.

SomethingBig
07-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I always enjoyed the Twinrova battle more than fighting Ganon, but Ganon was definitely a top notch fight.
Each boss battle in OoT is epic in its own way. It has some of the most amazing boss battles in any game. The music, the atmosphere, and the way the bosses appear make them memorable.

I'll have to add the Sapher Sephiroth and the Sephiroth battles from FFVII. One Winged Angel served to bring out Sapher Sephiroth's supreme power and also served to strike fear into you during Super Nova. The Omnislash battle, though not a real battle, had quite a lot of symbolism in it, the most obvious, Cloud's separation and freedom from Sephiroth's negative and positive grasp, allowing him to live his life to the fullest.

These two(Ganon and Sephiroth) are definitely the best final boss battles I've ever played in any game.

Bowser in the end of N64, of course. xD
ROOFLS, I was actually going to say that because it took me around 3 tries to find a surefire way to beat him.

I should also add the final bosses of Phantasy Star IV cuz they're just so darn tough.

Cz
07-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid. This game broke boundaries in gaming, and nowhere more so than in this boss battle. Before the battle even begins Mantis demonstrates his mind-reading and telekinetic abilities through clever use of the PSOne's hardware. And if you're not expecting it, it's actually quite intimidating.

Once the battle starts things get even stranger. Try as you might, Mantis seems impossible to hit. He predicts every one of your moves and dodges the bullets accordingly. Only by switching your controller from port 1 to port 2 can you thwart his mind-reading and stand a chance of victory.

While the combat itself is quite straightforward, Psycho Mantis is a great boss for completely different reasons. Some enemies have a huge gun or heavy shielding, but the player knows that by learning the attack patterns or through skill and dexterity these obstacles can be overcome. With Mantis, this isn't the case. Even in the game world his powers are unusual, and his ability to confuse and frighten the player makes him a truly formiddable foe.

Cruise Control
07-06-2005, 06:35 PM
I liked Jecht, but the one in Fatal Frame 2 was awesome (I miss the turn 180 degrees button)

A really tough one was Melbu Frahma from Legend of Dragoon :eek:

Spammerman
07-06-2005, 06:44 PM
I liked the OoT bosses.

omnitarian
07-06-2005, 07:10 PM
I've always liked the Helmaroc King (aka "The huge bird") in Zelda: Wind Waker. The music is cool, and the atmosphere (on top of a big tower with a bunch of searchlights everywhere) is totally awesome. Plus, you get to use your enormous hammer on him.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-06-2005, 08:08 PM
And then you smash his mask and he looks like a demonic Foghorn Leghorn. Good times.

Rase
07-06-2005, 08:23 PM
I must add another, I recently replayed it, but I completely forgot Mother Brain in Super Metriod. I guess I like it so much because of the young Metriod, fully grown, come out, saves you, then is killed. I guess it's just because I wasn't really expecting it. I also was like, "Holy Crap" when M.B used the really strong beam on me. Anyway, yeah, really like that one also.

Psychotic
07-06-2005, 08:32 PM
The HIND from Metal Gear Solid. I remember being intimidated at the time, thinking "How the heck do I take down a HELICOPTER?! They don't seriously expect me to...do they?" and of course, Liquid Snake was on top form with his taunting and shouting in that battle.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-06-2005, 08:34 PM
I must add another, I recently replayed it, but I completely forgot Moth[er] Brain in Super Metriod. I guess I like it so much because of the young Metriod, fully grown, come out, saves you, then is killed. I guess it's just because I wasn't really expecting it. I also was like, "Holy Crap" when M.B used the really strong beam on me. Anyway, yeah, really like that one also.
That battle is the best demonstration of how Metroid games can convey plot without using any words.

DJZen
07-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Mega Man vs. Bass, it's just the best damn thing ever to happen in that series.

I've definitely gotta agree about Psycho Mantis. They threw out the rule book on him. He's by far one of the most interesting fights over put into a game.

That boss from Gunstar Heroes who has 7 different modes (I think it's just Green's mech) is also amazing. Not terribly difficult, but incredibly cool and stylized.

I also love the first boss from Run Saber. I don't know if it even has a name, but the fact that you're basically having a lightsaber duel on top of a plane mid flight that does some minor aerial stunts makes it very memorable.

Buccura
07-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Tied between the Hyrda in God of War and The End in Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater. The End was a very interesting take on a boss battle, and the Hydra just felt so epic and the way Kratos killed it was awesome.

P.S. Kratos PWNZ you all!

XxSephirothxX
07-07-2005, 12:58 AM
It wasn't an especially "great" boss fight, but beating the final boss of Star Ocean 2 was the most difficult fight I'd gone through in an RPG. I was only at level 103 or so, which may have been lower than I should have been, but, damn, he was hard. You had to constantly attack him, and he could move around like crazy, and if you let him transform you were screwed--problem was, he could sometimes transform even when you were pummeling him, so it took a lot of luck and speed to kill him. I fought that guy so many times. xD

The battle with the Hydra in God of War was pretty awesome, but the final showdown with Ganon in OOT was probably my favorite.

Markus. D
07-07-2005, 03:21 AM
1.The Boss fight against Jetc on FF10

2.The boss fight against Jack on Fable

3.I would have to say Dagoth Ur from morrowind but I dunno Alexmaxia kinda holds this title.

4.Sephiroth fights form FF7

almalexia definetly over dagoth ur.

Excelsior
07-07-2005, 04:45 AM
call me a n00b, but one of the actual hardest boss fights ever for me was the Egg at the end of SaGa Frontier 2.

ezzarian
07-07-2005, 03:01 PM
As Void said, the fight between Jehuty and Anoobis was kickin'! Another one is the part where you fight with this guy in Ratayu in Legend of Legaia! He has this badass beam technique that KO's you charaters in two blows all at once! -_-!

Spammerman
07-07-2005, 05:59 PM

LU Bu is easy.
not when your a freaking noob lol seriously lol i fought him witha character that was never lvled.
I was on 2nd scenario the first time I played and I killed him.

crashNUMBERS
07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
In DW3 he's hard as hell. Well, Until I got zhao yun to lv up and get his final weapon. Then he was murdered. Easily too...

Spammerman
07-07-2005, 06:32 PM
saying thats just funny is an overstatement.

crashNUMBERS
07-07-2005, 07:24 PM
What??

Psychotic
07-07-2005, 07:35 PM
It depends which DW you are playing as to how hard Lu Bu is.

kikimm
07-07-2005, 07:46 PM
The very last boss of Drakengard. Whoa. So incredibly nerve-wracking, but so awesome once you're done. I'd rather not detail what it is, but it takes so much patience, and pause/un-pause. Insane.

Psycho Mantis from MGS was also very well done. Not that I enjoyed it, but well done.

I want to say Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2, but that's more of a best boss, than boss fight. :(

:D

crashNUMBERS
07-07-2005, 07:58 PM
It depends which DW you are playing as to how hard Lu Bu is.
Exactly my point...

Polnareff
07-07-2005, 08:08 PM
I'd have to say all the boss fights in Mega Man Legends, especially the one against Bruno, this big, huge, hulking robot that can destroy houses with one shot. It took a lot of patience once you figured out a trick to beating him, and that trick was to hide behind the gate you came through so his beams don't hit you and don't destroy much of the town plus the guy was so big that he was intimidating. Definitely the best boss fight ever in my book.

Lord Xehanort
07-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Luther and Fayt - Secret Dungeon in the Lava Caves - SO3

Ansem/Riku - Hollow Bastion - KH

WindRincar and four Elemental Crystals - Syndar Temple - Suikoden III

Sephiroths Clone
07-07-2005, 10:23 PM
My Favortie Boss fight would have to be The End from Metal Gear Solid 3

Cless
07-07-2005, 10:24 PM
The very last boss of Drakengard. Whoa. So incredibly nerve-wracking, but so awesome once you're done. I'd rather not detail what it is, but it takes so much patience, and pause/un-pause. Insane.I actually needed a pen and paper to beat it. If you've fought it, you'll know what I mean. It was really hard, well, I thought it was anyway. But yeah, I was SOO satisfied once I had beaten it! :D

I also loved The End from MGS3. That is a shining example of how to do a boss fight. I swear, I was walking around my house with enchanced perception for half an hour once it was over!

I would say Psycho Mantis, but it was kind of ruined for me, as I already knew his secrets when I played it. But yeah, that sure was a revolutionary boss fight, when you take into account his tricks.

And Ganon from Oot. That was an epic!

Cloud No.9
07-07-2005, 10:59 PM
most of the metal gear fights are impressive both visually and in scale.

the fury and end in mgs3 we're stunning. fortune in mgs2. the fight on top of metal gear in mgs was pretty damn good too.

Spammerman
07-07-2005, 11:51 PM
I also like 3 bosses from drakengard, the one cless said, and 2 other really cool ones.

Black Mage
07-08-2005, 12:35 AM

Slothy
07-08-2005, 02:41 AM
I love every boss fight in MGS3 myself. My favorites would have to be The End and fighting The Boss. The fight with The End was about as tough as boss fights come, and The Boss was one of the more emotional boss fights I've ever seen, not to mention just plain cool.

dragonofdarkness
07-08-2005, 02:51 AM
A really tough one was Melbu Frahma from Legend of Dragoon :eek:

:eek: i must agree... hm... Ganon from OOT is pretty a very fun battle n.n

Chzn8r
07-08-2005, 03:11 AM

LU Bu is easy.

Not in Destiny of an Emperor :p

Hroth
07-08-2005, 03:11 AM
Gosh, I loved fighting Sephiroth in KH, he was pretty damn hard. Another fun battle in KH was the one against the Ice Giant or Phantom, when you get to fly around. Legend of Legaia had some bad ass bosses as well, one I thought was crazy was the last Songi, in the Seru Tree place if I remember correctly. He had this Genocide Beam attack or something like that and he did this crazy explosion that caused a whole buncha damage. In WA2, when you get to fight the Bulkogidon as an optional boss, he was hard as hell. I still think Lavos from Chrono Trigger is an extremely hard boss, I don't remember if I actually ever beat him.

Spammerman
07-08-2005, 05:19 AM

LU Bu is easy.

Haven't played it, but Lu Bu shall falleth to my over pwering wrath, and my !l\l54l\l3 5l<!llz at DW

Carl the Llama
07-08-2005, 11:55 AM
well last night i fought flowens in PSOBB ep2 and i was lvl 53 and it was on normal i also had a lvl 71 and a lvl 66 with me... we should have owned him but it was the other was around, i died twice the lvl 66 die twice aswell and the lvl 71 died no less then 3 times!!! all i can say is if your going to fight him the stock up on looooads of healing items such as stars and dimates (after his first form was killed i only had 1 dimate left) so yes even though we should have owned him he made us pay dearly X.X

Dreddz
07-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Fatman from MGS2 is good...

Dr.K
07-08-2005, 01:47 PM
The Hind and Vulcan Raven from Metal Gear Solid - adored both of those. Also Robo-Sonic at the end of Sonic 2.

crashNUMBERS
07-08-2005, 04:10 PM

LU Bu is easy.

Haven't played it, but Lu Bu shall falleth to my over pwering wrath, and my !l\l54l\l3 5l<!llz at DW
He shall fall to your 1337l\l355 45 \/\/311...

Umm... Whats a 1337 for a period??

Spammerman
07-08-2005, 05:07 PM

LU Bu is easy.

He shall fall to your 1337l\l355 45 \/\/311...

Umm... Whats a 1337 for a period??
there is no leet period. just use regular.
l_ l_l l3l_l'5 l>00nn l-l45 (0l\/l3.PH33R l\/l3

nik0tine
07-08-2005, 05:11 PM
All of the fights with Ansem in Kingdom Hearts were great. They weren't too hard, but they were somehow intense.

Spammerman
07-08-2005, 05:32 PM
I liked kickin ansem-riku's @$$.

crashNUMBERS
07-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah ansem riku was pretty easy. And link I know theres no period. I was playing around...

sephiroth9006
07-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Mine has to be against the 3rd encounter against vergil on DMCIII,cause as lv3 trickster,with the rebellion and the beowulf you can get such intense fights against him that it's unreal.

Vengence
07-08-2005, 07:06 PM
I have 4 favorite boss battles

1. Sephiroth battle (Kingdom Hearts)

2. Battle with Riku at Hollow Bastion (Kingdom Hearts)

3. Ganon (Zelda: Ocarina of Time)

4. Grunty Battle (Banjo & Kazooie) - I know it sounds kinda funny but that was a fun battle, flying around on Kazooie trying to beak bust her ass. It also had a catchy tune!

Medi
07-08-2005, 07:10 PM
I must add another, I recently replayed it, but I completely forgot Moth[er] Brain in Super Metriod. I guess I like it so much because of the young Metriod, fully grown, come out, saves you, then is killed. I guess it's just because I wasn't really expecting it. I also was like, "Holy Crap" when M.B used the really strong beam on me. Anyway, yeah, really like that one also.
That battle is the best demonstration of how Metroid games can convey plot without using any words.

couldn't agree with you 2 more, thats why i also put the mother brain in super metroid as my favorite, and i forgot to post earlier that all ridley battles are my favorites

KuRt
07-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Megaman legends - Juno
Metal Gear Solid - Ninja and Vulcan Raven
Zelda: OoT - Ganondorf
Final Fantasy X - Sin and Jecht

Spammerman
07-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Drakengard-Manah, Inuart and his lack dragon verse You and Angelus, and Another boss that im not saying.

Destai
07-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Diamond weapon in FFVII, Seph and Riku's one on one fights with sora in KH.

Sepho
07-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Legend of Legaia had some bad ass bosses as well, one I thought was crazy was the last Songi, in the Seru Tree place if I remember correctly. He had this Genocide Beam attack or something like that and he did this crazy explosion that caused a whole buncha damage.

I have a save right before the one-on-one fights against the Delilas family, and one against sim seru Gaza. They have to be some of my favorite RPG boss fights ever. All of Legaia's boss battles are pretty memorable to me.

Spammerman
07-08-2005, 10:19 PM
I also like blastin the :fpninja::fpninja::fpninja::fpninja: out of the scorpion thing in dmc

sephiroth9006
07-09-2005, 12:48 AM
but i prefer nightmare...(even if it is amost impossable on must die mode...against it the thrid time.)..that's so much fun to kill.or theres always mundus....i'm sparda...mwahahaha.

Excelsior
07-09-2005, 05:50 AM
Mine has to be against the 3rd encounter against vergil on DMCIII,cause as lv3 trickster,with the rebellion and the beowulf you can get such intense fights against him that it's unreal.

not to go off topic, but is trickster the best style? cuz at level 1 i couldnt really figure out that much use for it, but alot of people seem to use it to beat the game.