PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Parks?

Chris
07-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Are they all poor? Where I live, there's no such thing as a "trailer park".
These "parks" seems to be a normal thing in the U.S... but in the rest of the world they don't exist. So, could someone please explain to me the concept behind these "parks"? Thanks. :roll:

Hawkeye
07-06-2005, 04:03 PM
I think I heard like in 60 minutes or something the other day that some parks in Miami by the beach were selling for over a million, or something like that

But in general, that's your ghetto

Rye
07-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Are they all poor? Where I live, there's no such thing as a "trailer park".
These "parks" seems to be a normal thing in the U.S... but in the rest of the world they don't exist. So, could someone please explain to me the concept behind these "parks"? Thanks. :roll:

Trailer Parks are basically contained in the south of the US, and are cheap places to live. I think some can be rich or at least normal though, like hawkeye said, but the ones in the south of the US are like... ugh, and are filled with teen moms.

Trailer Parks generally scare me to death, and a lot of the people from Jerry Springer can be found in them.

Tricia
07-06-2005, 04:06 PM
They're Mexican people. I believe. The ones living in those trailer parks you say.

Chris
07-06-2005, 04:13 PM
They're Mexican people. I believe. The ones living in those trailer parks you say.
Mexicans? xD

Tricia
07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Mexicans? xD
Yeah, from where I live in California, there's a lot of trailer houses here, and I went there once for Halloween trick or treating... and most of them were Mexicans.

Hawkeye
07-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Its facsinating how Americans can demonize such places where we have no first hand knowledge of in the first place

Xaven
07-06-2005, 04:26 PM
My step-grandparents from another side of my family live in a giant trailer park for elderly people. It hardly deserves the name "Trailer Park" with its paved roads, community center, and all the likes.

Devourment
07-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Gypsies live in trailer parks in England. http://board.muse.mu/images/smilies/indifferent.gif

Tricia
07-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Its facsinating how Americans can demonize such places where we have no first hand knowledge of in the first place
Haha.

Americans.

Shoeberto
07-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Yeah, you guys are off.

They aren't just in the south, they're everywhere. I've got one in my town. The quality varies from bad (gravel roads, overgrown brush and weeds, crap trailers) to pretty good (paved roads, groomed grass, nice trailers, etc.)

Usually it's just for people that are in limited financial situations. Sometimes this means rednecks that dropped out of college and work fifteen hours a day mopping at McDonald's for minimum wage. Sometimes it means people that have been laid off and it's all the better they can do. It really varies.

And yes, lots of Jerry Springer material is produced from them, but not all people living in trailers are trash.

SilverWind
07-06-2005, 06:21 PM
I lived in one, in the yonder days...it was actually a pretty nice community...fairly nice

silverpigeon97
07-06-2005, 06:28 PM
we have trailer parks in england. Only the peope r called gypsies and they always drinking, smoking, stealing or /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif like that. Nobody seems to like them

rubah
07-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Some of the ones they revamped aren't too bad.

but they go down very quickly.

Russellville has one that for all these years, was insanely run-down and tacky looking.

Then they tore out all the old trailers (where did they go?) and put in new ones slowly.

Now the new ones look about as tacky as the old ones.

I used to live in a trailer xD Now my grandparents live there. I'll probably end up living in another one eventually.

Chris
07-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Why would people choose to live in a trailer? A trailer is for traveling and camping, not living. Please don't be offended, I just don't understand. :confused:

crazybayman
07-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Why would people choose to live in a trailer? A trailer is for traveling and camping, not living. Please don't be offended, I just don't understand. :confused:

They're not the same as a "Camper". They are little houses, which are the same size as a transport trailer (the kind towed by big Mac trucks). They are therefore constructed on trailers, and towed to their permanent locations. Hence, they're actually called trailers, instead of house, or housing unit, or cottage, etc. Once in place, they are no longer mobile.

And yes, we have them here, and it varies who live in them, ranging from people who get by to your typical "trailer park trash" (not meaning to offend anyone here.

We actually have a show up here "The Trailer Park Boys", and its priceless. I recommend anyone here download an episode or two.....its hilarious, I never miss it. Its the only show that I make it a point to watch.

DMKA
07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
I've lived near trailer parks more than once in my life. That was in California, and strangely enough now that I am in the south, I never see them. Hmm...

All the ones I saw just had alot of old people.

Chris
07-06-2005, 08:09 PM
We actually have a show up here "The Trailer Park Boys", and its priceless. I recommend anyone here download an episode or two.....its hilarious, I never miss it. Its the only show that I make it a point to watch.
I actually love that show. :love:

SomethingBig
07-06-2005, 08:10 PM
They're everywhere. They've been in the two towns in which I've lived. They get little respect, according to where I live.

Chris
07-06-2005, 08:12 PM
I guess here in the Philippines, trailer parks are similar to the SLUMS. :D

Shoeberto
07-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Why would people choose to live in a trailer? A trailer is for traveling and camping, not living. Please don't be offended, I just don't understand.
Like I said before, it's because of limited financial situations. They're cheaper to live in than what an apartment or house would be.

Not all of them are slums. Some of them are actually quite nice.

Chris
07-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry, I'm just not used to such places. I'm sure there are some nice trailer parks. :)

Kirobaito
07-06-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm sure you can find far worse living situations in the Philippines. In fact, I practically guarantee it.

There are some trailer parks out near Joshua, which is about half an hour from here. I stayed with a friend overnight in one, and it wasn't really that bad. It's the same thing as a "neighborhood." I live in a nice neighborhood, but there are plenty of crappy ones. There are nice trailer parks, and crappy trailer parks.

Chris
07-06-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm sure you can find far worse living situations in the Philippines. In fact, I practically guarantee it.
True, just not where I live. :)

rubah
07-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Usually the college housing (not dorms, the buildings they rent out to anyone) has worse people than the trailer parks.

And yeah, trailers=no money, usually.

My brother is living in one right now xD In the middle of my parent's pasture.

I'm fine with that, because it means he has more money to buy christmas presents:o Which he does <3

Yamaneko
07-07-2005, 02:16 AM
My friend lives in a trailer behind his parent's house. It's pretty awesome.

RSL
07-07-2005, 03:04 AM
I lived in a trailer park for about 2 years. It was actually not bad at all. The trailer we lived in wasn't run down at all. Neither was the park. I never felt ashamed to live there.

I've seen trailer parks that were bad, but I've seen houses that were bad too. It all varies.

XxSephirothxX
07-07-2005, 03:08 AM
There's a hispanic trailer park near my school, and most of the trailers in it are really run down and nasty looking. Not all trailer parks are like it, of course, but I'm sure a lot are.

Shlup
07-07-2005, 07:25 AM
Really? I've never noticed any Mexicans living in the trailer park TheAbominatrix lives in. It's mostly old ladies. Not that I've looked, but Mexicans around here aren't confined to low-income housing.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-07-2005, 08:29 AM
It's just general low-income housing. Different parks probably service different demographics as well.

theundeadhero
07-07-2005, 11:10 AM
I lived in a trailer park for a few years with my Mom and older sister. They all vary.

DMKA
07-07-2005, 03:53 PM
And in Texas.

silverpigeon97
07-07-2005, 04:15 PM
u peope have obviously never been to bransholme

nik0tine
07-07-2005, 04:38 PM
My uncle lives in a trailer by a nuclear power plant. I had to spend a good portion of Christmas day there, watching freaking I-Robot. :mad2:

rubah
07-07-2005, 07:32 PM
nothing wrong with nuclear power plants~

Chris
07-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Except they give you cancer. >_>

Chemical
07-08-2005, 01:59 AM
The only trailer park I know is a vacationing trailer park up north where people go for summer vacations.

It's lower end than like.... cottages, but apparently they can pay for a home and a trailer so it's not extremely empoverished. But it's kinda red neck... I mean... mullets gallore and rat tails... beat up trucks.

But it's a great time. I love going up there.

rubah
07-08-2005, 02:52 AM

Since when?

DMKA
07-08-2005, 02:18 PM
I lol'd.

crazybayman
07-08-2005, 02:30 PM

That's just when something goes freakishly wrong, and there is an explosion or spill or something of that nature, like Chernobyl.

Other than that, they are a very efficient power source. And in general are very safe, because just about all companies these days put safety first. Of course Hydropower, solar power or diesel power don't have the consequences if there were an accident, and are therefore considered "safer" but these days a tragic accident that would cause a spill, meltdown, explosion, etc, are incredibly unlikely.

I would imagine there are nuclear power stations in many places, generating power for many homes.

Chemical
07-08-2005, 06:03 PM
I live in a city that's in a valley surrounded but not one... not two... but three nuclear (it's pronouced Nu-Cya-Lar) power plants.

I don't have any odd deformations aside from the extra arm growing out of my knee cap... but I've already been informed that's not related.

Anyways... safe to assume that I'm not dead yet, nor do I have any known terminal illnesses... However... if anything does go wrong I won't really need to worry about mutations. I'll be dead. Right off the face of the Earth Ground Zero dead.

Pleasant thoughts.

Chris
07-08-2005, 06:13 PM
I live in a city that's in a valley surrounded but not one... not two... but three nuclear (it's pronouced Nu-Cya-Lar) power plants.

I don't have any odd deformations aside from the extra arm growing out of my knee cap... but I've already been informed that's not related.

Anyways... safe to assume that I'm not dead yet, nor do I have any known terminal illnesses... However... if anything does go wrong I won't really need to worry about mutations. I'll be dead. Right off the face of the Earth Ground Zero dead.

Pleasant thoughts.
How do you explain your avatar and signature then? :rolleyes2 ?

Chemical
07-08-2005, 09:26 PM
I was assured by the power plant companies that it was all a misfortunate coincadence and my legal claims won't hold up in court.

( xD But yeah... I realise the hillarious implications that arise from me saing what I had... *oozes corrosive goo from her nostrils*)

Chris
07-08-2005, 11:45 PM
xD
I want to marry you. xD