PDA

View Full Version : Anime Noobie

Tanwen Strife
07-06-2005, 06:20 PM
I've only just started getting into the whole anime scene, and none of my friends are really into it, so I was just wondering what you guys think I should start watching. I'm quite a sci-fi nut, so so far I've tended to go for the futuristic, set in space with robots, that kinda thing. I also must admit I really like big guns; not in real life I hasten to add, real guns very very bad, but in fiction very very good!

So if anyone feels like giving me some advice on where to go next, I'd be really appreciative. Thanks.

Shoeberto
07-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Cowboy Bebop.

The anime gateway drug.

Necronopticous
07-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Evangelion is probably a good start.

XxSephirothxX
07-06-2005, 07:03 PM
The only bad thing about starting with Bebop is that very little, if nothing else out there, is better. But it's my absolute favorite and should definitely be among the first things you watch. Here's a nice list

Cowboy Bebop - (Action, Drama, Comedy, Romance, the whole nine yards.)
Neon Genesis Evangelion - (Deep, thought-provoking, though angst ridden mecha series.)
RahXephon - (Evangelion done right. Better animation, less angst, more focus on plot and character development.)
Trigun - (Good action scenes, comedy, and a surprisingly in-depth plotline.)
FLCL - (Absolutely insane, with awesome animation, some funny moments, and some touching scenes.)
Berserk - (A war series in a medieval setting, but with most of the focus on character development. Big swords.)
Excel Saga - (Inspired lunacy.)

Spammerman
07-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone complex.Its got robots.

edczxcvbnm
07-06-2005, 07:13 PM
www.boxtorrents.com

Go nuts.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-06-2005, 07:25 PM
<ul type="1"><li>The Big O
<li>Cowboy Bebop
<li>El-Hazard
<li>FLCL
<li>Giant Robo
<li>Golden Boy
<li>The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
<li>Now and Then, Here and There
<li>Urusei Yatsura</ul>There. That's all the anime you'll ever have to worry about seeing. Unless, I don't know, you enjoy crap.
If you're short on time, here's a slightly refined list.<ul type="1"><li>FLCL</ul>

Spammerman
07-06-2005, 07:36 PM
The only bad thing about starting with Bebop is that very little, if nothing else out there, is better. But it's my absolute favorite and should definitely be among the first things you watch. Here's a nice list

Cowboy Bebop - (Action, Drama, Comedy, Romance, the whole nine yards.)
Neon Genesis Evangelion - (Deep, thought-provoking, though angst ridden mecha series.)
RahXephon - (Evangelion done right. Better animation, less angst, more focus on plot and character development.)
Trigun - (Good action scenes, comedy, and a surprisingly in-depth plotline.)
FLCL - (Absolutely insane, with awesome animation, some funny moments, and some touching scenes.)
Berserk - (A war series in a medieval setting, but with most of the focus on character development. Big swords.)
Excel Saga - (Inspired lunacy.)
surprised you haven't said fooly cooly

Necronopticous
07-06-2005, 07:38 PM
FLCL is.... that, I refuse to ever say that horrible American garbage name.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-06-2005, 07:44 PM
American? It was always intended by Tsurumaki to be pronounced Fooly Cooly. You can even see it spelled out in a magazine towards the end of the last episode.

Necronopticous
07-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Furi Kuri, more like it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah, if you listen to fansubbers who have no idea what they're doing.

Necronopticous
07-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Or if you LISTEN TO THE JAPANESE VOICE ACTORS SAY IT IN THE SERIES!

Alexander
07-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Evangelion is probably a good start.

Evangelion *dies* T_T

Evangelion is like FFVIII. You can love it, but since it's too different, do not start with this.

Start with Gundam SEED (DESTINY) instead.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Or if you LISTEN TO THE JAPANESE VOICE ACTORS SAY IT IN THE SERIES!Or if you perceive how they would say it if they weren't hampered by their Japanese accents. Herro!

Necronopticous
07-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Ah, but Fooly Cooly is just hampered by horrible American garbage accent. Everyone knows that Japan is superior.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-06-2005, 07:54 PM
^_^;;

ughhis
07-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Seikai no Monshou (Crest of the Stars)
Seikai no Senki (Banner of the Stars)
Seikai no Senki II (Banner of the Stars II)

Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
RahXephon
Now and Then, Here and There
Planetes
Trigun
FLCL
Serial Experiments Lain
Infinite Ryuvius
Galaxy Express 999

Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2 - Innocence

They all have something to do with your "{futuristic}, {set in space}, {with robots}"; I think. :fpcow:

http://www.boxtorrents.com/
http://kaa.animeconnection.net/torrentpage/
http://anime-4ever.org/index.php?s=bt&loc=1
http://www.anime-kraze.org/index.php?page=releases
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl

SomethingBig
07-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone complex
I wouldn't recommend this. It is waaaaaaaaay too slow.

- Gundam Wing
- Gundam X
- Gundam Seed: Destiny
- Trigun
- Cowboy Bebop
- Dragonball Z? Hey, many anime fans started with this. If you're interested, I suggest seeing only the first 100-120 episodes. Once Goku beats Freeza, it gets way boring.
- Digimon! Well, it HAS digital monsters.
- Full Metal Alchemist
- Detective Conan
- Samurai X OAV
- One Piece is supposed to be pretty good.
- Blue Submarine Number 6, if you want a movie
- Android Kikaider: The Animated Series

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
Now and Then, Here and There

I was gonna recommend this, but I couldn't remember the name.

Shoeberto
07-06-2005, 09:15 PM
- Escaflowne has a really good story, though it may get too sappy at points for some.
- Serial Experiments Lain will suck you in, even though you'll never understand what's happening in it.

Tanwen Strife
07-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Wow! That's quite a list to be getting on with! I already have Evangelion, a Gundam, not sure which one, and Trigun (which is in black and white on my machine, because my machine is an arse), but I havn't got through with them. I've also seen half of Hellsing for some odd reason. I've got a couple of films as well, but again I forget which ones and I can't be arsed to walk over to the other room to check, on account of being a lazy sod!

I've seen the odd episode of Cowboy BeBop at stupid o'clock on some random channel, but I'm having a hard time finding it. I think it might just be on abount of me being an idiot.

XxSephirothxX
07-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Fooly Cooly, Furi Kuri, or FLCL, however the hell you want to write it out, is still a damn good show.

Also, if you're going for a mech show, and Gundam in particular, don't go for Seed. Like many entries in the series it's a remake of the original. But the original movie trilogy is better. True, the animation is dated, but the story is top-notch.

EDIT: I feel like a retard for not mentioning this earlier. Princess Mononoke!

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Hayao Miyazaki's work is quite good, you can't really go wrong there.

I rather like Samurai X, if you're into the feudal Japan era with samurai and the like.

Spiral is an interesting anime if you want heavy plot-and-character orientation. And a heavy dosage of over-overdramatization.

Alexander
07-07-2005, 07:19 PM
I forgot to add.

DON'T WATCH GUNDAM WING.

Gundam Wing STINKS. Gundam Wing is a shame to Gundam, and Real Robot in general.

edczxcvbnm
07-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Also, if you're going for a mech show, and Gundam in particular, don't go for Seed. Like many entries in the series it's a remake of the original. But the original movie trilogy is better. True, the animation is dated, but the story is top-notch.

I have been watching Destiny and certain aspects follow Zeta such as Shinn-Stellar compared to Four-Kamille. I also think Athrun resembles Char as not wanting to accept himself or really know his role. Just an observation on the sequel series thus far.

StarlightAngel
07-07-2005, 08:11 PM
PATLABOR!!

Mercen-X
07-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Abenobashi

I hate their wanabe texan accents but I generally like the show.

ThroneofDravaris
07-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Evangelion *dies* T_T

Evangelion is like FFVIII. You can love it, but since it's too different, do not start with this.

Start with Gundam SEED (DESTINY) instead.

I forgot to add.

DON'T WATCH GUNDAM WING.

Gundam Wing STINKS. Gundam Wing is a shame to Gundam, and Real Robot in general.

You just recommended him not to watch the greatest and second greatest anime in existance...

But I guess deep plot lines that you actually have to think about are not for everyone...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-08-2005, 01:50 PM
It's not so hard. God's angels are space aliens, Japan is the real Eden, etc.

ThroneofDravaris
07-08-2005, 02:44 PM
It's not so hard. God's angels are space aliens, Japan is the real Eden, etc.

You...haven't seen it...have you?

Angels were not aliens, and Toyko 3 was better destribed as a Neo Babylon.
EDIT: Sorry, forgot the spoiler tag...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-08-2005, 02:58 PM
I've seen the series and the movie multiple times.

Aurora_sword
07-08-2005, 05:56 PM
FLCL (insane, with philosophies embedded in every scene)
Saikano (really really depressing anime about love and war)
Bubble Crisis Tokyo 2040 (pretty good anime set in tokyo 2040 with robots and stuff)
Gundam, of course....

destroyer of all
07-21-2005, 04:19 PM
if anyone has ever heard or seen a movie caled appleseed email me at legoerik@comcast.net

LunaticPandora37
07-21-2005, 06:09 PM
GO EXCEL SAGA!!!i like love hina too...those are funny anime...also consider Ruroni kenshin!!!!

nightmare666
07-23-2005, 09:01 PM
id say watch gundam, trigun, cowboy bebop, gost in the shell, reign,wolfs rain,witch hunter robin ,vampire hunter d, evangellain, and flcl oh yea and blue gender

Freya
07-23-2005, 11:25 PM
id say watch gundam, trigun, cowboy bebop, gost in the shell, reign,wolfs rain,witch hunter robin ,vampire hunter d, evangellain, and flcl oh yea and blue gender

Ha those are all from adult swim cept Vampire Hunter D (evangelion was on adult swim during giant robot week in 2003. and they are getting the full series and it'll air soon)

I sugest:
Samurai X OVA's: samurai's what more can i say.
Evangelion: Psycoligical mumbo jumbo, Big giant mechas eh can't say what else they are cause it's a spoiler.
Any Gundam series: They all have big giant robots in them. I recomend Gundam Wing and Gudam Seed
Hellsing: vampires
Excel Saga: crazy
Trigun: Funny, great action, guns
Record of Lodoss War: if you wanna go for fantasy
Saiyuki: Different spin on the ancient Chinese tale of Journy to the west, demons, guns
Blue Gender: If you really want to get scifi-ish, aliens, guns, World being overrun by said aliens
Cowboy Bebop: space bounty hunters
Naruto: NINJAS!!!!
One Peice: PIRATES!!!(i do say the japanese version is better but.. eh)
Outlaw Star: Scifiness

Vyk
07-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Tenchi Muyo.

And anything by Miyazaki. I personally recommend Nausicaa

Destai
07-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Meh, most anime is crap . If guns and sci-fi (well its kinda sci-fi) are your thing then yeah go with Cowboy bebop. Evangelion is pretty good but terribly overrated. Ghost in the Shell is like .hack//SIGN. Theyre both too slow. Gundam wing just isnt entertaining. I dont know about seed. Unless the name of a partiuclar anime shows up in this thread a few times then I wouldnt consider it.

kikimm
07-23-2005, 11:54 PM
If you're just starting out, I say go with Trigun. Cowboy Bebop is insanely good, but save that for later. Trigun is hilarious, entertaining, and can still be serious. It's a good place to start out, I think.

Also, if you can, try watching Adult Swim once in awhile. They have a few different anime shows, like FLCL, Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc that are good, and chances are you'll find something you like.

:D

Phil
07-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Rurouni Kenshin - samurai stuff, really great. The Manga is better than the Anime in my opinion.
King of Bandit Jing- I was obsessed. Its' about a kid who can steal anything! Truly amazing art style, and the anime is on par with the manga.
Trigun- Great for those of you who like gun-slingers with a little comedy and sci-fi
Evangelion- only read mangas 1-2 but it was great.
Android Kikaider- I loved this personally. I saw somebody else mention it too so I thought I would. The animated series is genius. I loved how you really got to know the carachters.
.Hack//Sign- If you loved the game, you'll love this. I personally hated the games, but this series was amazing. Too bad every time it got to the end, Cartoon Network would start it over.... jerks....
InuYasha- This show is great. I love the music. I havent read the manga, but I'd like to. Catch it on Cartoon Network on saturdays to see the newest episodes.

On that note of demons-

Devil May Cry- they're making a manga of this one. It will be released on october 11th I think. I haven't read it *duh* but I have a lot of hope for it. Dante has always been a favorite of mine, and I hope the manga lives up to the potential. I'm defenately gonna buy this one. See more here- http://www.tokyopop.com/devilmaycry/

lordblazer
07-24-2005, 12:34 AM
I say watch BECK and also check out Tsubasa Chronicles.

Bleach is starting to own.

Destai
07-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Actually Id love to see Tsubasa chronicles but that mainly because Yuki Kajiura does the music.

black orb
07-25-2005, 05:44 AM
>>> Go and watch Bleach, that anime is getting better with each episode.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-25-2005, 06:30 AM
Oh yes and don't listen to people who whine about an anime being slow. Slow build up isn't a bad thing unless you have little time/patience. A slow buildup, when executed well, is really quite good.

Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles is a good anime, I rather like it. Also, Bleach is pretty good, and Full Metal Alchemist is quite good as well.

escobert
07-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Any of the Gundams, Outlaw Star is my favorite anime ever. Great action about space pirates, outlaws and all that good stuff.