PDA

View Full Version : So whats your view of the next-gen consoles?

Buccura
07-06-2005, 07:53 PM
After watching the G4 E3 coverage a while back, I have pretty simple but strong opinions on the next gen consoles. I'll briefly tell each by console.

Playstation 3:
I sadly didn't see much, but from what I DID see, it looks freaking awesome. The graphics for the games look fantastic, the features I heard of sound cool, and it simply looks like a great system. I just hope they change the controller... and DONT make a remake of FFVII... their whoring that game enough.

XBOX 360:
I'm actually very, spetical of this system. The games seem pretty cool, but, graphic wise at least I'm not very impessed personally (With the expection of Gears of War and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, both which look freaking awesome). And also the whole online store thing, I got to say I dont really dig that idea. I mean, personally I dont see why I should pay money for a skatepark some kid made in Tony Hawk when stuff like that you should be able to get for free. And also, the "Backwards Compadability with the best selling XBox titles"... ok, playing games like Halo, Halo 2, Fable, Morrowind and what not with better graphics is good and well, but what about the Not so best selling titles like Shenmue II, Kung Foo Chaos, or many many other great titles that were overlooked? And I also think their releasing it to early, when I think the XBox still has a lot of potential still. That and also Microsoft rushing Bungie to finish Halo 3 the same time as the Playstation 3 release, I think thats them killing their best trump card.

Well, I guess time will tell.

Nintendo Revolution: Even with little told, one thing that DID really make me go "O_O WOW!!" was the backward compadability with being able to download and play N64, SNES, and NES games onto it. To me, personally that alone makes it awesome (That means I can play the best Final Fantasy (VI, or as it was on the SNES in america III) without emulation quirks! YAY!!! =D). I am skeptical of the rumor of the controllers being touch pads, but I tihnk theres just going to be a touch pad on the controllers for extra purposes. I guess we'll have to just wait and see. I do wish Nintendo wasn't so closed liped though. I know they are working on some pretty cool stuff. I just wish they would tell more of what they have behind the doors.

Well thats my view of the Next-Gen consoles. I tried to be as non-baised as possible, and my views could very well change once they are released. But thats just what I am seeing so far.

Alexander
07-06-2005, 07:55 PM
I generally prefer Sony, but PS3 will be bad. I mean... only compatible with plasma TVs? X_X

I think X-Box 360 will win this one. But Revolution will rock just as much. And PS3, as well, if you have money. x.x

Necronopticous
07-06-2005, 07:57 PM
I just hope they change the controller... and DONT make a remake of FFVII... their whoring that game enough.They won't change the controller, and a Final Fantasy VII remake has nothing to do with Sony.

Lon611
07-06-2005, 08:19 PM
I generally prefer Sony, but PS3 will be bad. I mean... only compatible with plasma TVs? X_X

that really does suck. i didnt' hear about taht one.

usually, id give it to Sony, but it looks like Xbox and Nintendo are finally shaping up. i do think Nintendo has an edge with its backwards compatibility.

Buccura
07-06-2005, 08:23 PM

Whoa... I didn't know that...

Necronopticous
07-06-2005, 08:30 PM
I generally prefer Sony, but PS3 will be bad. I mean... only compatible with plasma TVs? X_XI've yet to see proof of this, I'd be willing to bet there is no truth in it.

Psychotic
07-06-2005, 08:37 PM
I generally prefer Sony, but PS3 will be bad. I mean... only compatible with plasma TVs? X_XThat can't be right. Sony knows how much sales they would lose from doing that. I looked for info on this but couldn't find anything, so if anyone can provide me with a link about that, it'd be much appreciated.

SomethingBig
07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Sony's doing something with HDTV's. That much I know. They had an article about it on IGN. As for their controller, it is exactly the same as the Dual Shock, only it looks like a boomerang. And it's silver. I can see the hard work they put into THAT idea.

DJZen
07-06-2005, 08:59 PM
And it's wireless. And I still don't think it's impressive.

PS3 and X360 both seem like they're headed in the "multimedia device that happens to play games" direction, while the NR seems to be taking the "Hey, our public image is ruined, what the heck can we do to set ourselves apart from the competition in a GOOD way?" route. My preference is for the Revolution as things stand, but the true test of which console I'm going to absolutely need is the games that come out for it, and it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too soon to tell that.

SomethingBig
07-06-2005, 09:05 PM
I just read the article on IGN. The PS3 can be played on regular color TVs, but will also support HDTV's.

omnitarian
07-06-2005, 09:17 PM
PS3: Too expensive.

X360: Too early.

Revolution: Too 3rd party alienating... Maybe.

Buccura
07-06-2005, 10:16 PM
I just read the article on IGN. The PS3 can be played on regular color TVs, but will also support HDTV's.

Thats good to know. Plasma only would be market suicide.

PS3: Too expensive.

X360: Too early.

Revolution: Too 3rd party alienating... Maybe.

Just a note on the PS3 Too expensive, theres going to be two version you can buy. One that has all the extra and tid bits, and a cheaper one that is just ment for games and not all the special stuff.

SomethingBig
07-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Just a note on the PS3 Too expensive, theres going to be two version you can buy. One that has all the extra and tid bits, and a cheaper one that is just ment for games and not all the special stuff.
Source? I think that'd be even more costly for Sony, having to create 2 different systems at one time.

Cloud No.9
07-06-2005, 11:49 PM
the ps3 hd-tv thing. actually the ps2 was hd-tv compatible.

and what is with everything being wireless? it's gonna need batteries. that is so not cool. having to charge them or get new ones every so often, or having them on the last legs just as you are about to put that final bullet between the space nazi's eyes. and it's been said 7 can be connected at one time. why the hell7? why not 8? or even 6? 7 player split screen? how's that supposed to look? who's idea was that number? and it's backwards compatible. that's nice but....... there's all them usb slots, but no memory card slots. what am i supposed to do with my old saves that took years to get?

the xbox 360.... no hd-tv? that's a silly mistake first of all. releasling a system early does not gurantee success as the dreamcast showed. did i read right or is the hard drive smaller?

the revolution is the one console i can't pick faults with. that's because not much has been released really.

but i'll end up buying a ps3

Slothy
07-07-2005, 02:49 AM
and what is with everything being wireless? it's gonna need batteries. that is so not cool. having to charge them or get new ones every so often, or having them on the last legs just as you are about to put that final bullet between the space nazi's eyes. and it's been said 7 can be connected at one time. why the hell7? why not 8? or even 6? 7 player split screen? how's that supposed to look? who's idea was that number?

Frankly I'm surprised they went as high as 7 controllers. Even on a large TV, more than 4 player split screen would be damn near unplayable, or at least a lot less fun. If a game uses them without having to go split screen though, then that's great. And if the controllers are rechargeable (which, if Sony's got half a clue how to go about making the PS3 they will be), then I won't have a problem. I could see a controller probably going for hours before it needs recharging, and all you have to do is recharge it when you're not playing. Frankly, I don't even have more than 3 hours a day most days where I can play games, so a rechargable wireless controller should be just fine for me.

And to the topic starter, FF VII isn't being remade. The demo was just a tech demo, like the FF VIII ballroom scene from before the PS2 was released. The FF VII demo was a rush job as well and didn't even come close to utilizing the PS3's full power (according to the guys at Square). Can you say crazy?

crashNUMBERS
07-07-2005, 02:58 AM
I love em'!! PS3 will conquer all!!