PDA

View Full Version : Medal of Honor: European Assault (review/discussion)

Rase
07-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Have any of you played it yet? I feel it is a huge improvement over the last console MoH game, Rising Sun. This one has huge, open levels with multiple ways to enter or exit points with objectives. I never felt like I was on rails, unlike previous attempts at MoH. The objectives are mostly given to you on the fly, depending on whether or not you find it (for example, if you don't find a radar dish in a level, you can still move on, but if you do your tasked with destroying it). You only need to complete three objectives to beat a level, but then you only get a Bronze rating.

Anyway, you play as William Holt, a Lt. in the newly formed O.S.S. As Holt, you'll fight with the British in St. Nazarine and North Africa, the Russians at Stalingrad, and the Americans at the Battle of the Bulge. Since your following one character, your able to follow a nice little storyline as Holt tries to discover the intents of a German officer named Von Schrader.

It's rather easy to see the influence Call of Duty has had on the MoH series. Besides fighting with all three major Allies in WWII, you use all thier weapons (Ppsh, Sten, etc.), as well as some good new weapons I've never seen in a WWII game (Scoped M1 Garand, Scoped Gewher = :D). You can only carry two weapons at a time, you can crouch or go prone, and you fight alongside many other soldiers instead of solo.

Some other new things are more interesting. You can command a squad of up to three, but only basically, telling them to either go somewhere or fall in behind you. However, it's nice to know your covered if a German decides to get you from behind. Also, while you can find health pick ups, it's more oriented on finding Medical Kits, which you can save and use whenever you need health. You can also use them on your squad, should one get in some trouble. You start with anywhere from 2 to 5, depending on how many of you squadmates are still alive at the end of a mission, and find more thoughout levels. Also, instead of Saving or using Checkpoints, you have Revives, which return you to the action with half your health and no Adrenaline (more on that in a minute). You start with 1 or 2, but for each Secondary Objective you complete, you get one more.
Now, as for adrenaline, it goes like this. For doing "acts of heroism", which is basically killing enemies or completing objectives, your Adrenaline meter slowly fills. Once it is full, you can use it at any time to have about 20 seconds of what I call "God Mode". You have unlimited ammo, your invincible, and your shots have a higher likelyhood of being a one-shot kill. While this may seem gimicky, it's actually really useful, especially against Nemesis.

Nemesis are high ranking German officers who are out for you. There is one for almost every level, and they are much stringer than regular soldiers. Thier shots hit for more damage, they have way more health, and they usually have soldiers around them. Usually it's best to go "God Mode" on them, as it makes them much easier.

Now, finally, the rest. The graphics were anywhere from great to okay, but the majority of the time the looked pretty good. The sound is also great, with good musical scores, voices, and sound effects. There are parts at the begining of missions where real veterens recount thier experinces of the battle your about to fight, which I though was nice. The controls are usually spot on, and everything runs smoothly.

In closing, I give Medal of Honor European Assault a 8.5 out of a possible 10.

Discuss. :D

Polnareff
07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I played this, but IMO, it feels much like the last Medal of Honor game on PS2 (I forget the name of it) in terms of gameplay. At least there was a multiplayer mode added this time around.

Spammerman
07-08-2005, 06:12 PM
rising sun? or frontline.I wanted to get european assualt, cause me and my friend like having 2 on 2 battles, and me and my friend kenneth are trhe best snipers.

Rase
07-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Okay, then, if you like sniping, multiplayer will be a blast, due to the fact that, besides the Springfield, you can get a Scoped Gewher or Scoped M1 Garand. Basically, that means accurate, powerful, semi-auto sniping. :shoot:

Spammerman
07-08-2005, 06:39 PM
are there levels that have good sniping positions?

JaytodaP
07-08-2005, 07:28 PM
European Assault was awesome. It was also very hard. I'm stuck at The Road To Stalingrad. The gameplay is a lot better. When you aim the camera goes to the sights of the gun, not a little crosshair. Unlike the last ones, itss easier to kill the enemies. You dont have to stop what your doing and aim. Medpacks go into your inventory for later use, so you dont have to waste them when you find them. You can now command three extra people in your squad. Letting them die makes the game a whole lot harder, but youll probably end up killing them because they walk right in front of your gun. You can also "cook" your stick grenades. When you push a button, you light the fuse. I always count to four and chuck it. But be careful, you can kill yourself if you hold it too long. You can only carry two weapons now. So take an automatic with a light gun. (IE Thompson w/ M1 Garand or a Pistol) There are also more objectives, like taking out an enemy leader. This game is easily the best MOH yet.

Rase
07-08-2005, 07:44 PM
are there levels that have good sniping positions?

There are some. I can't remember at the moment, since I only rented it, but I managed to beat it on Normal, and I remember some good sniping levels. The only one that comes to mind right now is Farmhouse Liberation, the second to last mission, buts that's because I had to replay it so much to actually beat it. :mad:

As for multiplayer, from what I tried, there are a good mix of levels made to sniping, close quarters combat, and mid-range, Plus levels with all three. :)

As a side note, I suggest getting/playing Call of Duty and it's expansion for the PC, if you like WWII shooters. It's also got a sequel coming out this Fall. :D :excited: :hyper:

JaytodaP
07-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Medal of Honor: frontline is pretty much Saving Private Ryan, except you dont have to save Private Ryan.

Spammerman
07-08-2005, 08:22 PM
I noticed that the beach and frontline beach were the same thing almsot.

JaytodaP
07-08-2005, 09:09 PM
They are. June 6th 1944 D-Day. US Troops stormed the beaches of Normandy France. The events in that first level are exactly the same. People are puking, you see people dying underwater, you have to get the bangalors too. The second to last level is simmalar to the end of the movie. Theres a bunch of Panzer and tiger tanks hangin around. So you need Panzer Shreks or whatever there called.

Spammerman
07-08-2005, 09:13 PM
STICKY BOMBS.srry, i just saw the movie las tnight and remmeber the sticky bombs.

JaytodaP
07-08-2005, 09:17 PM
I felt bad for the guy that got blown up by it. It exploded right in his hand.

Spammerman
07-08-2005, 09:20 PM
I remember that. He should have thrown it.