PDA

View Full Version : savestate tips

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Hey, I've been playing FFIX on my computer (I own a PS2, but it's not at the place where I play it on my computer), and I'm at the part where you have to steal stuff from Beatrix at the end of Disc 1. I'm trying to use savestates to make things easier, but the funny thing is, it seems to make it harder.

Does anyone have some tips on how to savestate effectively so that it's possible to steal the Mythril Sword? I've noticed that for example if you savestate in a battle, events for at least one round repeat themselves right down the ones value in the HP damage. I have a savestate on the last piece of dialogue before the battle, but you'd think I'd have it by now b/c I am at lvl mid 20's with Bandit equipped. I've fought her like 100 times--well, I've lost count, but it's enough where I'm getting tired of that camera shot at the beginning of the battle, which I bet no guy gets tired of.

So, any suggestions on how savestates can help you? Or, does loading from the memory card effect whether or not you can steal the Mythril Sword?

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Sorry about the double post, but it's been more than a day.

Or, if you guys can find a website dealing with the mechanics of battle and when it would help your with rare stealing, that would help, too.

FinalBob42
07-10-2005, 02:57 AM
I really can't help you there. It's difficult to determine how exactly "chance" (as in, the chance of stealing an item) works in the game and how it's affected by save states.

In general, I'd say you would have a greater chance of stealing a certain item (in this case, the Mythril Sword) by stealing as many times as possible in the same battle as opposed to only stealing a little bit and then starting over by reloading a savestate over and over again.

If you just keep stealing in the exact same battle, eventually the game is going to recognize that you've failed in stealing too many times and will give you what you want. The only trick then is being able to stay alive long enough in the same battle.

Kiwi Nazi
07-12-2005, 06:48 AM
What exactly is the importance of the Mythril Sword, can u get it later on in the game, what abilities does it give you?

Rengori
07-12-2005, 07:45 AM
You can get it later in the game, but the bosses aren't getting any easier. Steal a lot in the battle and you'll get it eventually. And, there is a possibility that Square didn't make the Mythrill Sword stealable in the PC version.

nik0tine
07-12-2005, 08:17 AM
You can get it later in the game, but the bosses aren't getting any easier. Steal a lot in the battle and you'll get it eventually. And, there is a possibility that Square didn't make the Mythrill Sword stealable in the PC version.
The surest way to answer that question is for Zidane to use... one ability... which tells you what items the enemy is carrying.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
07-12-2005, 08:43 PM
You all seem to be forgetting that the battle is timed. In 2 to 2 and a half minutes, the battle ends, and you can have Freya jump or even trance jump to make the battle drag on a little bit. I gave up and decided to get it in Treno since it was just around the corner. I did manage to get the Ice Brand and Survival Vest later. But I forgot to unequip Freya's Emerald, so I have to get the Survival Vest again.

Yes, Nik, I use Detect all the time after using a savestate, then I load the savestate and steal!

Oh, and uh, there is no PC version. Once again, I am using my playstation disc and playing it on my computer b/c my PS2 is at home along with a malfunctioning video component.