PDA

View Full Version : Coliseum Contenders

Sasquatch
07-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Alright, who do y'all use to fight your battles in the Coliseum? I just figured I'd ask because...well because I'm bored.

I used to use Sabin, until I smartened up a bit and started using Umaro. Think about it... You can't control 'em, right? So should you put somebody in there that will do stupid things like cast lame innefective spells, or somebody that will make consistent, powerful attacks?

Actually, I think the last straw for me was when Sabin would do Mantra--or worse yet, Spiraler--in the Coliseum. You're the only one there stupid, there's nobody else to heal--and for God's sake idiot, don't kill yourself to heal others when you've got another Blitz that heals others without the inconvenience of death.

So that's what I do. Put a Gauntlet on Umaro, and maybe a Ribbon or RunningShoes, and let him go to work. What about you?

Zechs
07-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Thats exactly what I do.

Xaven
07-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Actually, I think the last straw for me was when Sabin would do Mantra--or worse yet, Spiraler--in the Coliseum. You're the only one there stupid, there's nobody else to heal--and for God's sake idiot, don't kill yourself to heal others when you've got another Blitz that heals others without the inconvenience of death.

I hate it when he does that. I agree that Umaro is good in the coliseum. Gogo is alright too if you know how to set him/her up.

Braindead_Paul
07-08-2005, 11:33 AM
I use my strongest character turned into an imp with all that imp-equipment, an offering, a Genji Glove and two imp halberds.
Imps can't use magic so he always attacks eight times and an imp + imp halberds = much damage.
But the main reason I do it that way is the imps' awesomeness...

GooeyToast
07-08-2005, 11:46 AM
I used Sabin & Locke cause Locke has the best weapon in da game.

Christmas
07-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Atma weapon + offerings and pray hard my character use "Fight"

boys from the dwarf
07-08-2005, 06:40 PM
what i did is used sabin but then he used mantra and only used my crap blitzes and used weak magic so now i use umaro(can you equip the offering to umaro?)

Polnareff
07-08-2005, 11:53 PM
How do you equip Umaro anyway? >_>

Usually when I'm in the Coliseum I use Celes, equipped with the relics "DragoonBoots" and "WallRing". In fact, that's how I got Illumina--equipped ManEater to her, along with those two relics, and then when she fought Didalos, he never hit her once 'cause she would jump before he got the chance. Killed him in 3 hits.

Sasquatch
07-09-2005, 06:15 AM
How do you equip Umaro anyway? >_>

You can't. He's stuck with the Bone Club and Snow Muffler--but don't complain about that, the Snow Muffler is the best armor in the game. Too bad only Umaro, Mog, and Gau can wear it. Even so, I get another two suits whenever possible for them.

But you can put Relics on Umaro, just like you would anybody else. I don't know what exactly the Rage Ring does, but the Blizzard Orb gives him that crappy storm attack that hits everybody for crap damage. But if you give him a Gauntlet, it'll raise his attack to 255, and it's fun to watch him throw people at enemies.

-N-
07-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Rage Ring allows him to throw party members at the enemy for mad damage. :up:

I prefer the Rage Ring - Gauntlet setup, or at higher levels, Rage Ring - Hyper Wrist.

Sasquatch
07-09-2005, 11:10 PM
I'd like to know what exactly all the specific stats do, too...like, what does Stamina effect, or Vigor, or whatever?

-N-
07-10-2005, 02:07 AM
Done. :)

Perhaps the biggest shocker to people is that Sabin is actually one of the most flawed characters, as his Blitzes are mainly based on Mag. Pwr. and his Mag. Pwr. is absurdly low unless you take care to level him up with the appropriate Espers.

Sasquatch
07-10-2005, 06:23 AM
Done. :)

Perhaps the biggest shocker to people is that Sabin is actually one of the most flawed characters, as his Blitzes are mainly based on Mag. Pwr. and his Mag. Pwr. is absurdly low unless you take care to level him up with the appropriate Espers.

Based on his Magic Power? Really. Hmmm. Didn't know that. I figured some of 'em might be--Fire Dance, Air Blade, and Mantra, sure, maybe even Aura Bolt--but not Pummel, Suplex, Bum Rush, etc. would make sense to be all physical stats.

EDIT: And thanks.

Del Murder
07-10-2005, 06:10 PM
I usually used Celes and gave her a weapon you couldn't use Runic with. Then it was either Fight or cast a spell.

-N-
07-13-2005, 07:32 AM
No problem, Sasquatch. You're right that Pummel/Suplex are Vigor based, but unfortunately, Bum Rush is in fact Mag. Pwr based. The only reason it does so much is due to the high damage multiplier. :rolleyes2

The last game I played through, I named Setzer after myself, so naturally I took care to level him up. I leveled up his Mag. Pwr to about 100 in the end, so I just used him with Coin Toss + Hyper Wrist, so he'd do damage regardless of whatever it was he did. :p

Another combo that should succeed is Shadow; Genji Glove + Hyper Wrist (or Offering), Striker + Stunner. However, he should probably have little to no magic, and you should sell off crappy ass equipment he can throw, and equip good equipment you don't want him to throw.

But still, I think Umaro is the best character to use in the Coliseum. That and the last time I played through it, I named it after my self-destructive best friend. :D

Tonepoet
07-15-2005, 04:52 AM
Mog or Gau equiped with a Snow Muffler, Paladin Shield, Genji Helmet, decent spear and Safty Bit/Ribbon as relics. It's really evil 'cause only non-elemental Magic and Sneeze stands any sort of chance against them with that set up.

Gogo also makes a good person to use since he's extreamly customizable. Has anybody tried just teaching Ultima to a person just for the sake of Colloseum battles?

eestlinc
07-15-2005, 05:41 AM
one time I used Sabin and he used Spiraler on the first turn

I like to use Locke equipped with Illumina Sword, Paladin Shield, Marvel Shoes, and a Zephyr Cape. Every attack that comes at him misses, and the few that connect don't matter that much, so he's almost impossible to kill. Sometimes he uses stupid spells or steals, but usually he just attacks and does massive damage.

Sasquatch
07-15-2005, 09:13 PM
I should try to get the Paladin Shield sometime. Never have. Might come in handy.

-N-
07-15-2005, 10:38 PM
It's pretty tight. Lets you learn Ultima and stuff, too, and has nice MEv.

Celes with Illumina+Paladin Shield+Force Armor is unhittable.

eestlinc
07-16-2005, 12:42 AM
NO, ONLY LOCKE!

(I think paladin shield-illumina sword makes pretty much anyone unhittable)