PDA

View Full Version : Psone rpg

KuRt
07-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Please someone give me a suggestion of what playstation1 rpg should i star playing?just say something really good RPG.

Craig
07-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Suikoden 1/2
Azure Dreams
Breathe of Fire 3/4
Grandia

Freya
07-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Legend of Dragoon
It's four disks long It's turn based but you have to push x at the right time giving you more power over how well your characters are doing and great story line. i loves it it's one of my favs.

Cloud No.9
07-09-2005, 08:06 PM
star ocean, alundra, rhapsody,

Erdrick Holmes
07-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Monsster Rancher 2.

Destai
07-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Well your european so I guess Xenogears is out of the question along with chrono trigger and cross. Grandia, Breath of fire IV, Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII and IX are good.

Old Manus
07-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Wild ARMS

Craig
07-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Wild ARMS

Forgot that one.

SomethingBig
07-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Why has only one person mentioned FFVII?

Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, FFVIII, FFIX, I hear FFT is good, too, FF Anthologies and FF Chronicles.

Old Manus
07-09-2005, 09:01 PM
I would have thought FF would be ommitted here.

crashNUMBERS
07-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Legend of Mana...

KuRt
07-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Thanks, guys. IŽm just so bored to all of my games at this moment so IŽll look for those games youŽve mentioned. Say some more if you want to, IŽll take it under consideration.

Shoden
07-13-2005, 12:00 AM
FFVII and FFVIII should keep you for a few weeks

Flying Mullet
07-13-2005, 12:01 AM
FFVI if the load times didn't make you want to cry.

Dreddz
07-13-2005, 12:27 AM
All Final Fantasies
Grandia
Star Ocean 2

beaglegod
07-13-2005, 02:05 AM
FFVII and FFVIII should keep you for a few weeks

A few weeks? Im 75 hours into VIII and Ive just finished getting Ragnarok!

FF VII & VIII could keep ya goin for months if you let it. Than again I need to stop being so anal about getting everything and just move on. :/

Raistlin
07-13-2005, 02:09 AM
Suikoden I, Suikoden II, and Final Fantasy Tactics are the best RPGs on the PS1.

Lindy
07-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Suikoden I, Suikoden II, and Final Fantasy Tactics are the best RPGs on the PS1.
Turncoat >=(

HOW CAN YOU NOT MENTION LUNAR:SSSC?

nik0tine
07-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Use the Xenogears!

Crossblades
07-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Breath of Fire IV
Legend of Dragoon
FF I - IX
Legend of Legaia

kikimm
07-13-2005, 03:26 AM
FFVI if the load times didn't make you want to cry.

I actually don't find them to be that bad. Then again, the PS version is the only version I've played.

Is Vagrant Story out where you are? If so, go for that.

:D

Sepho
07-13-2005, 03:37 AM
There was no awful FF game released during the PS1-era, so commence in playing any that you haven't already finished. I'll recommend FF Tactics in addition to FF Chronicles and FF Anthology, because I'm sure you've played everything else. Despite the power of FF6 that Anthology holds (with FF5 rounding out the package), Chronicles is probably the better deal in the form of Chrono Trigger and FF4. The only one I wouldn't recommend is FF Origins. I didn't have too much trouble with FF2, but it seems that most players experience more frustration than fun with this game. That, and I think FF1 is better experienced with 8-bit graphics.

I don't know if you'll have much luck finding them, but both the Complete versions of Lunar 1 and 2 will provide you with much enjoyment. Lunar 2 is more difficult, and will make you feel like a man if you finish it (I smoked a cigarette upon seeing the ending credits, and I don't smoke); Lunar: SSS has a better story and is more fun overall. Both are very long, though, and will as such hold your attention for a while.

Brave Fencer Musashi. Forgettable story and intentionally cheesy dialogue and themes aside, Musashi has shown me a good time. It'd be best defined as an Action/RPG with more emphasis on action and exploration, and not so much focus on the RPG aspect (I doubt you'll ever find yourself fighting to level up). The Fusion Assimilation system, the powers gained from scrolls, and learning new moves and finding Legendary equipment by means of rescuing villagers from various locations and dungeons are what set Musashi apart.

Other titles that I had a lot of fun with but wouldn't necessarily recommend to everyone:

Legend of Legaia. Legaia's unique battle system is both it's biggest advantage and disadvantage. It's pretty nifty, and will lead to many hours of experimentation in hopes of finding new moves and move combinations (unless, of course, you use a moves list FAQ or something), but random battles can become tedious in later parts of the game as the monotony of each encounter presents itself. I personally like battle systems that are quick and simple instead of ones that offer more depth and give you battles that are five minutes long, but fighting -and specifically, boss fighting- in Legaia am goal for me. The boss fights in this game are some of the most epic and memorable that I've experienced. Not everyone likes it, but there are those who love it.

I had another one in mind, but I forgot. I'd try to remember, but I just bought Tales of Symphonia, and it's calling my name. Oh wait, it was Breath of Fire III.

Vyk
07-13-2005, 02:59 PM
I rarely come here anymore ^_^;; I just got the KOTOR games and they've been stealing my life (along with my soul). After that will be Jade Empire and then I might return to the world. But anyway, for some reason this thread caught my attention and I just wanted to make a note, agreeing with Sepho. Legaia seems to either be love/hate. Deffinitely worth a try to see if you're one of those that loves it. I was. I personally hate random encounters anymore. But in that game, they were awesome. You get to totally trounse enemies with the battle system. Its so much fun. Though there is the drawback that most fights are inevitably pretty predictable. But still... a battle engine taking tips from fighting games. How long has that been coming? I'm surprised nobody's built on top of it. It seems obvious to me. But alas, I must quit rambling and go do my lightsabering. Enjoy your PSone. Good games had throughout on that one.

Raistlin
07-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Turncoat >=(

HOW CAN YOU NOT MENTION LUNAR:SSSC?
Holy /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, how could I forget Lunar SSSC?

Yes, Lunar SSSC ranks up there with the Suikodens and FFT as the best RPGs ever made.

Aphelion
07-13-2005, 08:52 PM
-Final Fantasy VII
-Final Fantasy VIII
-Final Fantasy IX
-Grandia
-Xenogears
-Chrono Cross
-Star Ocean 2
-Breath of Fire IV

These will keep you busy for at least 400 hours...If you still need something to play...Go with Suikodens, Lunars, BOF III, FFT, FF Origins, FF Anthology, FF Chronicles, Alundra, Legend of Legaia...And then, if you still need something...Go get a PS2, 'coz you've just finished 90% of the worthwhile PS1 RPGs... :D

Flying Mullet
07-13-2005, 09:02 PM
So to summarize this thread basically play any rpg on the PSOne.

Sepho
07-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Just so you know, SNES is where it's at when it comes to great RPGs. I'd look there, first.

Raistlin
07-13-2005, 09:36 PM
-Final Fantasy VII
-Final Fantasy VIII
-Final Fantasy IX
-Grandia
-Xenogears
-Chrono Cross
-Star Ocean 2
-Breath of Fire IV

These will keep you busy for at least 400 hours...If you still need something to play...Go with Suikodens, Lunars, BOF III, FFT, FF Origins, FF Anthology, FF Chronicles, Alundra, Legend of Legaia...And then, if you still need something...Go get a PS2, 'coz you've just finished 90% of the worthwhile PS1 RPGs... :D
You put FF8, FF9, Grandia, and that other crap("crap" with the exception of Xenogears, SO2, and BoF) above the Suikoden series, Lunar, and FFT? Hack.

Lindy
07-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Hey, Grandia and FF8 deserve a look-in certainly, in fact I really dislike the fact that you're calling Chrono Cross crap, that game was good alone for the beautiful graphics and music, though there is plenty of extra to add into it.

That said, yeah, Lunar and FFT should be way above them XD

Aside from CC, which should at least be on the same level as >=(

Aphelion
07-13-2005, 10:09 PM
I wasn't listing them for the "the ones above others are better" order, though I do consider Final Fantasy IX, Xenogears, Chrono Cross and Grandia to be better than any Suikoden or Lunar game.

Raistlin
07-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Hey, Grandia and FF8 deserve a look-in certainly, in fact I really dislike the fact that you're calling Chrono Cross crap, that game was good alone for the beautiful graphics and music, though there is plenty of extra to add into it.

That said, yeah, Lunar and FFT should be way above them XD

Aside from CC, which should at least be on the same level as >=(
Most FFs are crap compared to Suikoden and Lunar. However, FF8 is crap compared to FFMQ.

That being said, Grandia and CC are solid RPGs, on a level similar to the Breath of Fire series.

Erdrick Holmes
07-13-2005, 10:43 PM

You forgot to add Xenogears to that.

Flying Mullet
07-13-2005, 10:43 PM
And Guilty Gear!!!1!

Lindy
07-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Most FFs are crap compared to Suikoden and Lunar. However, FF8 is crap compared to FFMQ.
That's the key word, compared to, som of them still deserve a look in.

Your FF8 comment however, is pretty damned stupid.

Flying Mullet
07-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Your FF8 comment however, is pretty damned stupid.
Agreed. FF8 is crap, no matter what it's compared to, even crap.

Lindy
07-13-2005, 10:58 PM
lol u r funnie

Erdrick Holmes
07-13-2005, 11:02 PM
And Guilty Gear!!!1!

Not an RPG, but still an awesome game.

Flying Mullet
07-13-2005, 11:02 PM
lol u r funnie
ur not