PDA

View Full Version : Does Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Symphonia tie together?

Crossblades
07-10-2005, 01:12 AM
I own Tales of Symphonia. I love that game

I own Tales of Phantasia. I love that game as well

I love them so much that I'm curious to know if these two games tie together because these two games has references to each other. And if they do tie together, how many years apart do they take place?

Agent Proto
07-10-2005, 01:25 AM
You should read the Tales of Symphonia thread, Black Mage and Lindy pretty much explains the tie-ins between the two games..

crashNUMBERS
07-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Why not just quote it pr00t other than giving a lecter...

Crossblades
07-10-2005, 01:35 AM
I was hoping someone would give me a more detailed explanation

black orb
07-10-2005, 02:21 AM
>>> I`ve just played Tales of Destiny 2 (psx)..
But I dont think its linked in any way to the other Tales titles..

BTW, Tales of Phantasia was a SNES game right??

Crossblades
07-10-2005, 02:31 AM
Yes

Black Mage
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Alright, since I'm not going to put spoiler tags through the majority of my post, there will be spoilers for both Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Phantasia in this post. I think this sort of thing should be expected coming into a topic like this.

Also, before I begin, Tales of Phantasia was released for the SNES in 1995. It was then remade for the Playstation using the Tales of Destiny engine in December of 2000. Then it was released again for the Game Boy Advance.

Minor Tales of Eternia (Tales of Destiny 2 in the USA) spoilers ahead.

And Tales of Eternia (Tales of Destiny 2 for the PSX in the USA) wasn't linked to the other Tales games via plot, but it did have references to some of the other Tales games. For example, you can fight Cless in the coliseum. And Arche will accompany him if you fight on Hard mode. When you summon Destiny via S.D., the characters from Tales of Destiny appear and attack. Also, in a maze, there are portraits of Stahn, Rutee, and Philia which you have to turn in order to solve a puzzle. That Bushbaby statue from Tales of Phantasia is also found in Inferia. And, this last one is based solely on my own personal speculation. Sekundes the Greater Time Creymal is a nod to Dhaos from Tales of Phantasia. That much is obvious, but I think the name itself is proof. In Katakana, the name reads Zekundosu. Which is relatively close to "Second Dhaos". Though, I will admit the katakana for Dhaos is different from the end of Sekundes' name. However, when you fight Sekundes, you're able to defeat him when his life meter becomes 100,000 (Half of his life) or less by using Indignation. During which, you get a cutscene of the spell being casted, and in the Japanese version you hear Dhaos' trademark "Souna... Souna Bakana!" straight from Tales of Phantasia. Also, you get a Derris Emblem from beating him. 'Nuff said.

Alright, back on topic.

First off, it is debated whether or not Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Phantasia are connected. My personal opinion is that they are meant to be, though you may read otherwise elsewhere.

I will list off a few of the more common things you should have picked up while playing through both games.

Dhaos' final form in Tales of Phantasia has angel wings. Throughout Tales of Phantasia Dhaos mentions his city, and that it is dying. That city is Derris-Kharlan. Also note that you need to acquire emblems called "Derris Emblems" to get through Dhaos' castle in the future.

Yggdrasil is the name of the mana tree in Tales of Phantasia, named by Llyod in Tales of Symphonia. Yggdrasil, aside from Mithos in Tales of Symphonia, is of Norse decent. Meaning "Odin's Horse", horse referring to the time Odin "rode" the tree. Rode meaning when he hung himself from the tree to gain knowledge.

Aselia is the world in Tales of Phantasia. It is the combination of both Teth'Alla and Sylvarant. Also, if you check a bookcase in Alvanista castle in the Past, you discover that Aselia has two moons named Teth'Alla and Sylvarant. More than likely named after the old worlds in Tales of Symphonia.

Ymir, Treant's/Torent Forest, and Heimdall are the same throughout both Tales of Phantasia and Symphonia.

The village of Mizuho in Tales of Symphonia relocated to Treant/Torent Forest in Tales of Phantasia. If you recall, they had interest in relocating to Sylvarant. The village is called Japon in Tales of Phantasia.

Sheena Fujibayashi, a character in Tales of Symphonia, is probably an ancestor to Suzu Fujibayashi, a ninja in Tales of Phantasia, as they share the same last name.

The Eternal Sword is split in Tales of Symphonia to create the Flamberge and the Vorpal Sword. Together they are called the Material Blade. In Tales of Phantasia you seek out the Flamberge and the Vorpal Sword and Diamond ring, and have them forged into the Eternal Sword.

Magitechnology used to create the Rune Cannon in Tales of Phantasia is of the same origin as the Mana Cannon in Tales of Symphonia. In fact, as I recall, the Mana Cannon looks identical to the version of the Rune Cannon in Tales of Phantasia: The Animation.

If you check another bookshelf in Tales of Phantasia, it mentions that the elves came from a floating city in the sky. That floating city is found out to be Derris-Kharlan in Tales of Symphonia.

black orb
07-10-2005, 05:18 AM
Sekundes the Greater Time Creymal

>>> Wow!, you can really find something like that in ToD2 ?
I thought there was only 8 kinds of elemental Greater Craymels, water/fire/wind/earth/ice/lightning/dark/light.

I must replay this game.

Excelsior
07-10-2005, 07:05 AM
to go a little bit off topic, is there anywhere I can actually buy tales of phantasia? or is it an emulator only kind of deal.

Agent Proto
07-10-2005, 07:07 AM
There's going to be a re-release for GBA.

Endless
07-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Sekundes the Greater Time Creymal

>>> Wow!, you can really find something like that in ToD2 ?
I thought there was only 8 kinds of elemental Greater Craymels, water/fire/wind/earth/ice/lightning/dark/light.

I must replay this game.

There are 10 craymels, the eight you mentioned and
Maxwell (greater elemental craymel), and Sekundes (greater time craymel)

Crossblades
07-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Wow, that was very deep stuff, Black Mage. Thanks for the info. I'm more than convinced now that these two games tie together. But based on what I read, it sounds like Symphonia took place before Phantasia. Very cool

The GBA version has been released in Japan for 2 years now. A US version was never announced

Agent Proto
07-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Wow, that was very deep stuff, Black Mage. Thanks for the info. I'm more than convinced now that these two games tie together. But based on what I read, it sounds like Symphonia took place before Phantasia. Very cool

The GBA version has been released in Japan for 2 years now. A US version was never announced

what? :O Oh, I forgot to check the dates.

Drats. :o

Lindy
07-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Ymir, Treant's/Torent Forest, and Heimdall are the same throughout both Tales of Phantasia and Symphonia.
Just to add to that, the one thing that made me laugh the MOST out of Symphonia was when Colette, while entering the Treant's Forest states how beautiful it is and how she hopes that in the future everyone can travel there and see it.

Ironically, in ToP it's identical to the way it is in ToS, only those the elves allow can enter the Treant's Forest, and only with a Writ from the king can they enter the Ymir Forest in the first place.

Oh and also you need the Eternal Sword to reveal Dhaos' castle just like you do Derris-Kharlan/Welgaia, and there's a panel in Welgaia that sends your party away just like in Dhaos' castle, though in ToP you were just sent to a lower level and a prison when in ToS each of the characters were sent of to their "The *whatever*" boss thingies.

Crossblades
07-11-2005, 07:50 PM
I another reference I noticed in Tales of Symphonia was in the Colisseum when you fight Meredy, Farah, and Garr.