PDA

View Full Version : So whats wrong with FF2?

Destai
07-10-2005, 01:57 PM
I was playing the dawn of souls version on vacation and now Im at Pandaemonium. Its a fun game, why all the bitching?

Christmas
07-10-2005, 02:15 PM
To me that is, the leveling up system is as annoying as the sphere grid system in FFX.

TurkSlayer
07-10-2005, 04:10 PM
To me that is, the leveling up system is as annoying as the sphere grid system in FFX.

I kinda liked the sphere grid system. I didn't care for the system in FFII, but I thought it was an overall good game. I enjoyed playing it. I'm now playing Soul of Rebirth on DoS, which is pretty cool.

Creed
07-10-2005, 04:14 PM
I like the game dont get me wrong but the level up system is not good.Just make eveyone a fighter and your set just give Maria most of the spells.

"wow i gained a sword level,ah i gained a fire level"I dont care

The sphere grid is alright but its hard to keep up with it..im not even done with the characters little area,and im at the calm lands trying to level them up past their area.

DJZen
07-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Heh, sure, if you want to gimp Maria to death you can do that.

I think what people really dislike about the game is that it punishes you for trying to make your characters demigods. Take FFVII, the "most popular" game in the series. If you want to, you can give your characters every last spell, summon and command in the game, and you won't be horribly penalized for it. Sure, you'll get some minor stat penalties, but you can just max your stats using sources and materia anyway so it doesn't matter. If you spend long enough at it, all of your characters can be tough enough to take out Sephiroth alone.

In FFII, things don't work that way. If you want to be a good black mage, you have to forfeit white magic, vitality and attack. Not so much because raising those lowers your intelligence (and in DoS it definitely won't...) but because to level yourself as a melee fighter, you have to neglect levelling magic, which can be a pain in and of itself. Other than that, believe it or not, you will actually be penalized for equippming weapons and armor. All weapons and armor lower agility, intelligence and soul. Basically it boils down to having to be very selective about what you do and don't level.

I think this is what frustrates people about this game so much. You can't just breeze right through it and equip the best weapons, armor and spells on everyone. You actually have to sit down and think about what you're doing or you'll cripple yourself.

That and the hero isn't some whiney emo boy with a gigantic sword who wants to talk about his feels for 5 hours of cinema sequences.

boys from the dwarf
07-10-2005, 08:37 PM
it wasnt my favourite leveling system but i dont hate any of the levelling systems on FF.i liked FF2 because of the cool story and all of the hell and stuff like that it may not have the most complex storyline but i like the mystery behind the dark knight because in the dreadnought when the dark knight talks she says she regognizes the voice"hint hint"so its a cool story but the systems on it get annoying.

Destai
07-10-2005, 08:50 PM
it wasnt my favourite leveling system but i dont hate any of the levelling systems on FF.i liked FF2 because of the cool story and all of the hell and stuff like that it may not have the most complex storyline but i like the mystery behind the dark knight because in the dreadnought when the dark knight talks she says she regognizes the voice"hint hint"so its a cool story but the systems on it get annoying.In the DoS version it sucks because the dark night shows leons face just darkened slightly when he speaks (the characters face appears in the text box) so you can tell who he is as soon as the dark night shows up in Bafsk.

That and the hero isn't some whiney emo boy with a gigantic sword who wants to talk about his feels for 5 hours of cinema sequences.I laugh because its true xD

Inuyasha Tribal
07-11-2005, 01:58 AM
Okay. FFII, was not bad at all. The whole system was fine. In fact, I really liked it. You didn't have to worry about "oh, how much more EXP till level up?" It's just different then most of em'. Either enjoy it, or don't play it at all. kthnxs.

Sefie1999AD
07-11-2005, 10:34 AM
The complaints? In NES version, I thought the game was horribly slow. Walking around in dungeons is slow (feels a lot slower than in FF1 and FF3j for some reason even though even those games don't have Dash), and fighting is very slow, especially when casting spells on multiple targets, like your party or all enemies. I almost fell asleep during one dungeon, and after that, I used the emulator's fast forward option to turn off frame limits while walking in dungeons or in battles, after giving commands.

I didn't have a problem with how weapons or general stats level up or down. The problem with NES, WSC and PSX versions is how slowly magic spells level up. You need to cast a spell 50 times for them to gain a level, there's 16 levels and you need to cast those spells during every battle to have even some chance of raising them. I think the best spell I was able to get on NES version was Cure10, the rest were on levels 1-5 or so.

DJzen, have you played the DoS version? I've tried it for about 15 minutes, and things seem to level up faster there. Do you think the changes in the battle system make the gameplay smoother, or is it just as enjoyable as FF2 NES/WSC/PSX, or do you think it totally waters down the system and ruins it?

crashNUMBERS
07-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I love every single leveling system in the FF universe. Really why say a game sucks just 'cause of one thing?? FF2 is great!! Destai, Your oppinion is your oppinion. I really don't see what there is to complain about...

Destai
07-11-2005, 06:02 PM
I love every single leveling system in the FF universe. Really why say a game sucks just 'cause of one thing?? FF2 is great!! Destai, Your oppinion is your oppinion. I really don't see what there is to complain about...You didnt read my post at the start of the thread, did you? :p

Aphelion
07-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Personally, FF2's character development system was simply the worst I've ever seen. The Sphere Grid was a completely different thing, you knew you HAD to use it to move on (of course, those who did that No Sphere Grid Challenge don't apply...). But FF2 gives you too much freedom, and I truly don't like it in a RPG. It's hard to know if you're ready to move on or not when you start very weak and simply HAS to train for your own survival...Otherwise, you'll die (that happened a lot in my first game)...

To make it short: I found it to be very disturbing.

Crossblades
07-11-2005, 11:04 PM
FF II is cool. It's just the leveling up system ruined it

crashNUMBERS
07-12-2005, 03:29 PM
I love every single leveling system in the FF universe. Really why say a game sucks just 'cause of one thing?? FF2 is great!! Destai, Your oppinion is your oppinion. I really don't see what there is to complain about...You didnt read my post at the start of the thread, did you? :p
I did. Im saying I dont see what there is for people to complain about. Not you to complain...

DJZen
07-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Personally, FF2's character development system was simply the worst I've ever seen. The Sphere Grid was a completely different thing, you knew you HAD to use it to move on (of course, those who did that No Sphere Grid Challenge don't apply...). But FF2 gives you too much freedom, and I truly don't like it in a RPG. It's hard to know if you're ready to move on or not when you start very weak and simply HAS to train for your own survival...Otherwise, you'll die (that happened a lot in my first game)...

It's one of the hazzards of the insufficient documentation Square provided with the games. They REALLY didn't explain the system behind the game well enough, so many people play with a "what the heck is going on?" mindset. I've been playing this game for quite a while and I can safely say that I know when to move on to the next area now. It's really just a matter of learning how the game works, and Square stopped providing good documentation of their games when FFVII came out.

Buster Sword Strike
07-12-2005, 08:51 PM
This character system is awesome cause you can make your personal party.
e.g. If you want Fironiel to be a paladin he can be, if you want to stop all the stereotypes and make Maria a tank go for it!
I think the the only reason people bash it is because it takes a little extra work and planning to achieve making a good party.

In Most other Final Fantasies it is set so the thief is made obvious also the warrior, the mage(s), the tank.

Dreddz
07-13-2005, 12:31 AM
Theres actually absolutely nothing wrong with FFII, its a great game

Pastor_of_Muppets
07-13-2005, 04:37 AM
I really liked it too. It was actually fun that it took a long time because I like long games.

DarkLadyNyara
07-13-2005, 06:13 AM
FFII is what got me into final fantasy. I love the leveling system, and it's a fun game.

matt89
07-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Nothing wrong with it. Its just anotherl leveling system by square, its great and it makes every game differet from the next. Also since when was cloud emo?

It's one of the hazzards of the insufficient documentation Square provided with the games. They REALLY didn't explain the system behind the game well enough, so many people play with a "what the heck is going on?" mindset. I've been playing this game for quite a while and I can safely say that I know when to move on to the next area now. It's really just a matter of learning how the game works, and Square stopped providing good documentation of their games when FFVII came out.

Very true, i don't even know how to play hot & cold chocobo still. and i've completed 9 23 times

EDIT: Please use the edit button instead of double posting. -Murder

Buccura
07-27-2005, 03:50 AM
I personally like FF2. Sometimes the system didn't quite feel in my favor but I otherwised really enjoyed it.

I have beaten it also by the way and do the Soul of Rebirth on and off.

Teek
07-27-2005, 08:29 PM
So whats wrong with FF2?
It sucks.

Apollo
07-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Nothing is wrong with FFII. xD

Butz
07-30-2005, 05:20 AM
I LOVED the leveling system :love:

Rase
07-30-2005, 07:13 AM
In the NES version, I felt that, unless you exploited the system, leveling up skills took WAy to long. In DoS, it's been changed, and I, personally, like it much more.

DJZen
08-03-2005, 04:44 AM
Nothing wrong with it. Its just anotherl leveling system by square, its great and it makes every game differet from the next. Also since when was cloud emo?

Very true, i don't even know how to play hot & cold chocobo still. and i've completed 9 23 times

*cracks knuckles*

Cloud isn't, Squall is. So is Tidus. They also all happen to use fairly large swords. I was saying the main character of FFII isn't like one of Tetsuya Nomura's lead characters.

Chocobo hot & cold has an in game tutorial that covers everything you'll ever need to know about how to play the game. FFII in the Origins version had a manual that briefly glossed over some of the more obvious parts of playing the game. FFII in DoS had a manual that covered the most basic of basics and then told you which spells did what. If you want to know just how much more there is to the game than what's covered in the manuals or the in-game tutorials (in the healing chamber), just take a look at my website, then consider the fact that it isn't even halfway finished yet without even taking the walkthrough into consideration. That's what I mean when I say the game has lousy documentation.

For example, did you know that there is no spell in the game that causes poison?

Fireblade13
08-10-2005, 01:36 PM
I liked the leveling system but in the game I have a hard time on getting weop. and magi. levels because I am using the DOS version which is quicker late in the game but I doubt its 100 strikes to my next level now.
Edit: Bring on the Poison in scourge already!

DJZen
08-11-2005, 04:11 AM
Scourge causes poison element damage, but does not inflict poison status. There's only one method of inflicting poison status on your enemies in the entire game. Can you guess what that is?

The poison axe.

On second thought, you can also confuse an enemy that inflicts poison with its physical attacks, but that's not reliable, nor is it easy.

rubah
08-11-2005, 05:05 AM
Scourge causes poison element damage, but does not inflict poison status. There's only one method of inflicting poison status on your enemies in the entire game. Can you guess what that is?

The poison axe.

On second thought, you can also confuse an enemy that inflicts poison with its physical attacks, but that's not reliable, nor is it easy.
I love poison axe, but it never seems to do much good.

There's confuse spells? Oh yeah @_@l;;; I can hardly see them working *For* you though.

Peter_20
08-11-2005, 05:27 AM
To me it was mostly the fact that the game is so goddamn slow.
Donīt misunderstand, I really liked the game as a whole, but I totally abhored those fights in the hard dungeons, especially in that Warship; itīs like getting infected with Poison, Sleep and lots of other stuff with no possibility to heal them since Heal and all curative items are used up.
This ends up with you having to fight desperately, which takes FOREVER, since you always miss your targets and stuff.
I thought that was really annoying.

rubah
08-11-2005, 06:04 AM
That would be when you give Guy the Ribbon and the poison axe and have him chop his way through everything.

It works, too.

DJZen
08-11-2005, 10:23 PM
To me it was mostly the fact that the game is so goddamn slow.
Donīt misunderstand, I really liked the game as a whole, but I totally abhored those fights in the hard dungeons, especially in that Warship; itīs like getting infected with Poison, Sleep and lots of other stuff with no possibility to heal them since Heal and all curative items are used up.
This ends up with you having to fight desperately, which takes FOREVER, since you always miss your targets and stuff.
I thought that was really annoying.

I'm working on a way to get through the game with as little levelling as possible. That part won't be too terribly hard if you spend a little bit of time on party setup, planning, and training.

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
08-12-2005, 04:51 PM
FF II is cool. It's just the leveling up system ruined it

Add the fake walls to the profile. :mad: Other than those, everyone else before me elaborated what I felt about the annoyances in the game.