PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience

Little Miss Awesome
07-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Have you ever done this? Where did you go? Was it fun/worthwhile?
I'm on work exp. at the minute, I'm working at an infant school with one of the reception class and I love them :D They're little angels :p The staff are nice too, I was nervous this morning about a week at work exp. but I'm fine now! If you people did go on work exp. did you enjoy it? :

Psychotic
07-11-2005, 06:22 PM
I did mine in a magistrate's court where I got to spend all day sitting in on cases. About 50% of them were drunk driving cases.

Chemical
07-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Work Exp: From order oldest - newest

Baby Sitting
News Paper Route
McDonalds Hag ... Crew.
Gardener
Horse poop scooper
Chicken Ball maker at a Chinese Restaurant
Part Time worker at HMV
Day Camp Counselour
Freelance Artist

If you mean like, through school a Work Co-Op placement.

I held a secretarial position with the nurses in an In Patient Psychiatric Ward. Nothing better than crazy people to make you feel normal.

Dr.K
07-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Went to a Genomics department in a university. Was pretty cool, and they strangely did alot of the stuff I subsequently studied at A-level, so that made it easier. What was quite worrying however was the fact that if there was a fire in the building, there was some legal thing where the fire brigade weren't allowed to come and put it out because of the chemicals stored in the place :( .

Ravenmorghane
07-11-2005, 08:57 PM
I did work experience in a dobbies garden centre, it was a great doss! me and the other work exp kids just painted the garden decks with woodstainer chatting and messin about. And i got to make pretty flower displays :D

boris no no
07-11-2005, 08:58 PM
i went to britain pit farm petting farm :-/ it was aweful
a small child said to me whilst i was cleaning out the 20th rabbit hutch
"you have to best job in the world"
oh how i wanted to put his child in the manture heap *dies*
it rained the first day and they had nothing for me to do. so i sat and cried all day sitting in aroom sull of dead stickinsects :-/
the ONLY good thing was a hot guy chatted me up (i was only 15!!) and there were 2 llamas.
i love llamas :love:

Xander
07-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah, my first work experience I went to a pre-school. Most the kids were really sweet, although I didn't want to work with them in the long run. I kinda just went there to slack off xD

After that I went to a place and I was SUPPOSED to be on computer but instead I put things in envelopes >_< Sooo boring.

Shoden
07-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Little miss awesome which school? westoe crown?

i did my Work experience at West Hall boarding Kennels in Cleadon

north easteners will only know what i'm on about

Meat Puppet
07-11-2005, 10:15 PM
The local prostitute corner. :(

Shoden
07-11-2005, 10:52 PM
lol typical meat puppet

Shlup
07-12-2005, 12:24 AM
I've never done an organized "work experience" thing, but I do have to do an internship soon. ;_;

Devourment
07-12-2005, 10:42 AM
I never done work experience. I'm not missing out on that much though.

Midnight Rose
07-12-2005, 01:41 PM
I did mine a while back actually...
I was lucky enough to get into British Airways ^^ It was great!
We got to see all the different areas of looking after a commercial airline. It was very interesting, and alot more fun than ordinary school XD
Definately worthwhile :3.

Craig
07-12-2005, 02:45 PM
I didn't do work experience. And because of that I had to show around the little primary school kids who came to visit the school.

Jess
07-12-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm on Work experience at the moment.
I didn't have a clue where I wanted to do it at first, so I ended up just getting it in a clothes shop where I go frequently, as the person who owns it is friendly.

Its okay, but I wish I had done it in an office or something now, as thats probably where I'll be working when I leave school.

I should be at work now, but my boss let me leave an hour early because hes really nice. Plus I get clothes for trade price. :love:

Only complaint that I have about it is that I have to work Saturdays, and I've got to do it for two weeks. Plus, the fact I've had other jobs, and I'm used to getting paid for them. :rolleyes2

Sasquatch
07-13-2005, 07:04 AM
I tried to get experiential credits at college for military classes, but they wouldn't let me. I mean hell, that'd be a good semester's worth of credits right there, if I could test out of 'em--it ain't like I don't know the stuff, the buggers. But noooo...

Through high school, though, nothing. Had jobs, but none through school.

-N-
07-13-2005, 07:07 AM
My first real job (payroll, taxes, etc) was as a hardware technician at Systech. Next three jobs were all within various divisions of Northrop Grumman working on the Global Hawk. Now I am in a research project at Stanford. I highly recommend work experience for the highschool student - it is indispensable on college applications as well as a good personal experience.

Calliope
07-13-2005, 07:18 AM
www.amnesty.org <3

Brian The Pink Shark
07-13-2005, 10:14 AM
i didnt do work experience, i hid when they did it cos i was scared but everyone else said it was really good so im quite dissapointed now :choc:

Mo-Nercy
07-14-2005, 03:09 AM
I was a teacher's aid at my local primary school. They were like, "Whoa, big kid."

eestlinc
07-14-2005, 03:11 AM
I've only ever worked actual jobs.

Slothy
07-14-2005, 03:27 AM
Not sure what the work experience thing you're talking about involves. Do you just work at a job for some amount of time? At my University we have a co-operative education program. Basically you get to work in actual jobs you may be interested in, and get paid for it too. Quite a nice program actually since you get money and useful work experience. I've spent the last 6 months or so working at an accounting firm, and it's been great. I'm only in my second year and I've already decided this is what I want to do after working with them, so it's definitely a great program. Sure beats four years of school only to find that you hate the jobs in your field.

Project G
07-14-2005, 10:21 AM
I did work experience in a local funeral directors, I thought it was excellent, everyone that worked there was crazy

Shadow Bahamut
07-14-2005, 10:28 AM
me? i went to an Architects office, drawing up official documents and detailed drawings that were used on proper developments. It was hard, i had the pressure of: if i screwed up, the project was screwed up...
i didn't screw up often. I did once and got totally b*ll*cked for it. There was only me and this architect, so it was pretty boring, cuz there was no-one else to talk to. :(, but i did get paid at the end of the 2 weeks i worked, :p all of £10...i felt cheapened by the whole experience..

Jojee
07-15-2005, 07:50 AM
I don't get what you people mean when you say you're on work experience... XD So like Chem, I'll just post my work experience ;]

Taco Bell employee >_>
Pop's Club employee <_<
internship at the State Capitol for a representative ^_^
Victoria's Secret employee^^
"teaching English" (more like tutoring) in China right now, although admittingly I haven't been doing a very good job XD

Shoden
07-15-2005, 11:07 PM
i only did a week

Chaos
07-15-2005, 11:23 PM
I did two weeks of working in a stables.
And no, it wasn't "aww cute horseys go neighneigh". I was working 8 till 6 mucking out horses stables (which I found fairly satisfying) leading horses to fields, picking up poo from fields, tacking up horses for spoilt brats to ride and anything involving horse manure.

Basically 10 hours of manual labour a day when you are 15 is a bit of a shock. Especially when you put down you want to do something related to art.

I did get to ride once, which was ok. Seeing as I had been riding for about two years it was alright in that respect But with a mild fear of horses, going into a strange horses stable with it in there and mucking it out was unnerving.

For my next work experience two years later, I did something a bit more easy - I joined a volunteer drama group and put on shows at schools. Was alright, although there was a kid with ADHD in our group and man, he was a handful to work with. Still, good people skills.
Work experience is fun.

My boyfriend arranged his to work with his mum.

His mum works at home, as a childminder.

Chaos

louby_4eva
07-15-2005, 11:36 PM
I did work experience at Bury Town Hall in the litigation part. Went to Bury county court as well for a day, it was doing that that made me realise that I didn't want to study law at college. :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Shoden
07-16-2005, 12:14 AM
i worked with horses cats dogs and saw other animals like rabbits a guinea fowl ducks geese and FISH!!!

Resha
07-16-2005, 12:53 AM
I do mine next year! I can't wait! Heehee! MWAHAHA MY PARENTS CAN'T STOP ME FROM HAVING A JOB, THEN! ^________^ But I have no idea how it works, whether we have to find a job on our own, or whether they assign us one. So what I'll be doing...:confused: