PDA

View Full Version : Would you like an RPG packed with controversy?

Destai
07-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Would you be pushed to play an RPG if there was a party member who betrayed you and commited suicide, you are forced to murder a loveable female heroine, have a child molester villain, had a subtley noted homosexual or lesbian character and was over all extremely controversial and -
kickass graphics, music, battle system and equally controversial storyline? I'd love it and would love to make an RPG like that. Is that just me or would you like to play it?

Lindy
07-11-2005, 10:02 PM
My dear, I will play anything that is good enough to hold my attention, regardless of controversy.

omnitarian
07-11-2005, 10:14 PM
We already had that, it's called FF6. Kefka will always be a female heroine in my eyes. :love:

... :erm:

... Spam aside, I guess I would play it, if it was good. I'm not going to give it a go just because everyone's raising a stink about it. In fact, they would pretty much have to prove to me that the taboo parts are integral to the game, and not just a ploy for free publicity. :-/

kikimm
07-11-2005, 10:15 PM
If I thought it looked good, then I don't care what it's got. If it's it's done well, I'm there.

EDIT:
In fact, they would pretty much have to prove to me that the taboo parts are integral to the game, and not just a ploy for free publicity.

But this is also very true.

:D

Dignified Pauper
07-11-2005, 11:53 PM
yes, so, get crackin Cid, i mean Destai.

XxSephirothxX
07-12-2005, 12:08 AM
If it was a game designed for an adult audience with a mature plot, then absolutely. If it was controversy for the sake of shocking people, like BMX XXX, then no. It would most likely suck if it was designed for the latter reason, anyway.

Camanche
07-12-2005, 12:13 AM
I think you guys need to check out Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2. The two parts of the series contain almost everything Destai mentioned, and then some. It is also an M rated game, with an awesome mature story. GREAT voice acting too.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, by the same company, also has a sweet, mature story that I throughly enjoyed.

Both are for the PS2.

The links in my sig are to RP sites based on said games, no websites with information on the games or anything.

black orb
07-12-2005, 12:56 AM
>>> Spoilers Ahead..

Would you be pushed to play an RPG if there was a party member who betrayed you
>>> This remind me Jowy Atreides and Snowe (from Suikoden 2 and 4), both of them party members and the hero`s best friend betrayed you at some point of the game..
In Suikoden 3 Luc which was part of your team in previous Suikoden games, betrayed Leknaat and tried to comit suicide.

You are forced to murder a loveable female heroine
>>> Jowy Atreides (Suikoden 2) murdered Anabelle which was a kind of loveable female heroine.
In Suikoden 3 Chris Lightfellow who IS the female heroine murdered the Hero`s best friend which was a mere child..

have a child molester villain
>>> Have you ever heard of the greatest villain ever "Lezard Valeth" from Valkirye Profile?
well he was breeding lots of little girls (homonculi) in his lab for unknown purposes, and I remember Mystina (his partner), saying that he has a lolita complex.. :D

had a subtley noted homosexual or lesbian character
>>> Im sure there are some homosexual/lesbian characters in some RPGs, damn even in Suikoden games i think you can find some them but I yet have to find convincing clues about that.
Anyways, in Suikoden 3 anyone remember that bath scene between Melville + Roddy + Louis.
I tell you, it was very suspicious..:D

Thats why I love Suikoden and Valkyrie Profile games so much.. :love:

Lindy
07-12-2005, 12:58 AM
If it was a game designed for an adult audience with a mature plot, then absolutely. If it was controversy for the sake of shocking people, like BMX XXX, then no. It would most likely suck if it was designed for the latter reason, anyway.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2002-10-18&res=l

MecaKane
07-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Would you be pushed to play an RPG if there was a party member who betrayed you and commited suicide, you are forced to murder a loveable female heroine, have a child molester villain, had a subtley noted homosexual or lesbian character and was over all extremely controversial and -
kickass graphics, music, battle system and equally controversial storyline? I'd love it and would love to make an RPG like that. Is that just me or would you like to play it?

You're more or less describing Xenosaga there, guy.

Dreddz
07-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Its clear that you made this thread due to the loss of Xenosaga in the UK, which was because of it being a controversy game. I dont mind the controversy, but can UK stop being such tits and bring out these damn games. We didnt get Digital Devil Saga either, as well as ALL Xeno games. This stinks

Mirage
07-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Yeah, it's obviously UKs fault that Square didn't want to release them in Europe.

Lindy
07-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Actually, it's Sony.

Xenogears was made by Square, Xenosaga is Monolithsoft and Namco.

You can see it's the fault of Sony, because the Namco produced games Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos were released on the Gamecube, ESPECIALLY Baten Kaitos since it's not even that big or popular a game, yet it was still released.

The PS2 version of ToS on the other hand was never released outside Japan, and the Xenosaga games were never brough to Europe.

Destai
07-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Its clear that you made this thread due to the loss of Xenosaga in the UK, which was because of it being a controversy game. I dont mind the controversy, but can UK stop being such tits and bring out these damn games. We didnt get Digital Devil Saga either, as well as ALL Xeno games. This stinksThats a really interesting but its wrong.
If you're interested the UK has nothing to do with the games not getting released over there, also half the stuff (if not all of it) wasnt, to the best of my knoweledge, in Xenosaga so far in the series.

DJZen
07-12-2005, 07:41 PM
It's just about impossible to be controversial these days. Even the controversy around Grand Theft Auto isn't all that big compared to how up in arms parents in the mid 90s got when Mortal Kombat and Night Trap came out.

You're not going to shock anybody just by having the use of drugs, nudity, sexual content, or excessive violence, even toward women (who are OBVIOUSLY weak and frail and could NEVER defend themselves against ANYTHING, but it's okay to kill men :rolleyes2 ). Pretty much the only way you could possibly cause a stir these days would be to actually make a game about molesting children, and I'm frankly not interested in a game about something like that. :barf:

Winter Nights
07-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Controversy may peak my interest, but for nothing more than a rental. Games have to really wow me to get an actual purchase.

edczxcvbnm
07-12-2005, 10:32 PM
I would buy the game and encourage the other characters along the road of destruction.

Behold the Void
07-12-2005, 11:03 PM
A game that is controversial for the sake of controversy isn't worth time. A game that uses the elements well and is an engrossing experience is the kind of game I would like to play. I don't care if a game is extremely happy or extremely dark, so long as it is well done and tries to break the mold or do something new. Not that I mind the tried and true, of course, but I like to see games explore new reaches every now and again.

Destai
07-13-2005, 07:59 PM
...would be to actually make a game about molesting children...Mini games, Duh :rolleyes2

Aphelion
07-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Yes, I would play it, as long as it could have an understandable plot (something hard to achieve when you're trying to mix a lot of things). It couldn't be just "let's throw all of this elements in a game just to be controversial!", it would have to sustain all of those elements, giving a reason for their presence.

I'd play it anyway... :D

nik0tine
07-13-2005, 08:30 PM
That would be enough to make me buy the game, yes. I would be pissed if they didn't pull it off right, though.

Raistlin
07-13-2005, 08:38 PM
It's called "Final Fantasy Tactics."

Lindy
07-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Not enough child molesting.

...Oh wait, wasn't there something like that hinted? Like, the church leader guy doing it or something >_>

Raistlin
07-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Probably.

DJZen
07-14-2005, 04:43 AM
W.... NO THERE WASN'T! What's wrong with you people?! X.X

Shlup
07-14-2005, 04:50 AM
My dear, I will play anything that is good enough to hold my attention, regardless of controversy.Seriously. I find most RPG plots pretty two-dimensional and dull.

eestlinc
07-14-2005, 05:04 AM
Seriously. I find most RPG plots pretty two-dimensional and dull.
No way, you just don't recognize the depth. Cecil loves Rosa, and so does Kain! The twins turned into stone! So great writing yes yes!

Lindy
07-14-2005, 11:12 AM
My dear, I will play anything that is good enough to hold my attention, regardless of controversy.Seriously. I find most RPG plots pretty two-dimensional and dull.
That's why I said it has to hold my attention >_>

I won't just play ANYTHING, what do you think I am, some kind of computer game playing robot, eternally cursed to repeat the same piss-poor games over and over?

Destai
07-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Seriously. I find most RPG plots pretty two-dimensional and dull.
No way, you just don't recognize the depth. Cecil loves Rosa, and so does Kain! The twins turned into stone! So great writing yes yes! :<3: *DESTAI APPROVES OF THIS POST*

Chzn8r
07-14-2005, 10:27 PM
I'd like an RPG based around Killer 7's characters and story. This game has to do with international terrorism, government-supported assassinations, religious cults, illegal trafficking of children and harvesting their organs for use in suicidal creatures, communication with the dead, and of course a load of high level violence and language, even with some sexual themes and BDSM thrown in there.

Mercen-X
07-14-2005, 11:42 PM
You will not succeed. Not if I do so first. I will be the master of games. Mwaha.

Lindy
07-14-2005, 11:45 PM
This game has to do with international terrorism, government-supported assassinations, religious cults, illegal trafficking of children and harvesting their organs for use in suicidal creatures, communication with the dead, and of course a load of high level violence and language, even with some sexual themes and BDSM thrown in there.
EXACTLY why I am buying it tomorrow.

TurkSlayer
07-14-2005, 11:55 PM
>>> Spoilers Ahead..

Would you be pushed to play an RPG if there was a party member who betrayed you
>>> This remind me Jowy Atreides and Snowe (from Suikoden 2 and 4), both of them party members and the hero`s best friend betrayed you at some point of the game..
In Suikoden 3 Luc which was part of your team in previous Suikoden games, betrayed Leknaat and tried to comit suicide.

You are forced to murder a loveable female heroine
>>> Jowy Atreides (Suikoden 2) murdered Anabelle which was a kind of loveable female heroine.
In Suikoden 3 Chris Lightfellow who IS the female heroine murdered the Hero`s best friend which was a mere child..

have a child molester villain
>>> Have you ever heard of the greatest villain ever "Lezard Valeth" from Valkirye Profile?
well he was breeding lots of little girls (homonculi) in his lab for unknown purposes, and I remember Mystina (his partner), saying that he has a lolita complex.. :D

had a subtley noted homosexual or lesbian character
>>> Im sure there are some homosexual/lesbian characters in some RPGs, damn even in Suikoden games i think you can find some them but I yet have to find convincing clues about that.
Anyways, in Suikoden 3 anyone remember that bath scene between Melville + Roddy + Louis.
I tell you, it was very suspicious..:D

Thats why I love Suikoden and Valkyrie Profile games so much.. :love:

... I really need to play the rest of the Suikoden series...

Spammerman
07-15-2005, 12:45 AM
if its more twisted than Drakengard, HELL YEAH!!!!

crashNUMBERS
07-15-2005, 01:30 AM
SMURF Yeah!! If you seen me in that other forum called gaiaonline I lived to spread controversy...

Maxico
07-15-2005, 02:02 AM
Shadow Hearts: Covenant?