PDA

View Full Version : Sephiroth vs Kefaka-winner is...

bipper
07-12-2005, 03:57 PM
I actually found this peice at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephiroth_(Kabbalah)
Sephirah, also Sefirah (סְפִירָה "enumeration" in Hebrew); plural: Sephiroth or Sefirot סְפִירוֹת.

In Judaism

Sefirot (or Enumerations), in the Kabbalah of Judaism, are the ten attributes that God (who is referred to as the Or Ein Sof "light [that is] without end") created through which he can project himself to the universe and man. These emanations manifest not only in the physical part of the universe, but also in the metaphysical one. Kabbalah distinguishes between four different "worlds" or "planes":

1. Atziluth (אֲצִילוּת), or "World of Emanations", on this level the light of the Ein Sof radiates and is still united with its source.
2. Beri'ah (בְּרִיאָה) or "World of Creation", on this level the first concept of creation ex nihilo however without any shape or form. This is also where the Highest Ranking Angels are to be found.
3. Yetzirah (יְצִירָה) or "World of Formation" on this level the created being assumes shape and form.
4. Asiyah' (עֲשִׂיָּה) or "World of Actions", on this level the creation is complete, however it is still in a spiritual level. At a later stage there is the 'phyisical Asiyah' comprising our phyisical world with all its creatures.

Each of these worlds are progressively grosser and further removed from any revealed Godliness, however the ten Sephiroth manifest in all of them.

The Sephiroth constitute the Kabbalistic tree of life, and are aligned in three columns, with each Keter connecting its 'world', with the Malkhuth of the 'world' above it.

The names of the Sephirot are:

1. Keter ("Crown"; כתר)
2. Chokhmah ("Wisdom"; חכמה)
3. Binah ("Understanding"; בינה)
4. Chesed ("Mercy"; חסד)
5. Gevurah ("Severity"; גבורה)
6. Tiphereth ("Glory"; תיפארת)
7. Netzach ("Eternity/Victory"; נצח)
8. Hod ("Majesty"; הוד)
9. Yesod ("Foundation"; יסוד)
10. Malkhut ("Kingdom"; מלכות)
(end)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safer_Sephiroth
I thought that i would share it as it seems to be a great point as to where square came up with the best villian in Final Fantasy history (cough)

If the name "Safer Sephiroth" comes across as a strange, even nonsensical, name for a final boss, it's because the name that appears in the English version of Final Fantasy VII is not the correct name. Like Helletic Hojo and many other Final Fantasy names, Safer Sephiroth is an unintentional mis-romanization of the original Japanese name.

A common rumor is that "Safer" is a misspelling of "Seraph", because of Safer Sephiroth's angelic nature. Although this rumor is false, Sephiroth does bear many similarities to a seraph, as seraphim are described in the Hebrew Bible as being humanoid angels with "six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew." Safer Sephiroth can easily be seen as a seraph missing one of its two flying wings - an imperfect, incomplete seraph. Still, as a source for the word "Safer," "Seraph" is incorrect.

The actual, intended name of "Safer Sephiroth" is "Sepher Sephiroth." "Sepher" is Hebrew for "Book," and "Sephiroth" is Hebrew for "Numbers," so the boss's name translates to "Book of Numbers" (ignoring Hebrew grammar, anyway). It is one of the many Kabbalistic references in Final Fantasy VII. The Sepher Sephiroth is a Kabbalistic treatise concerning the evolution God from a being of inactive rest to one of active creation. It relates to the ten Sephiroth, a central concept of the Kabbalah. This may relate to the origins and purpose of Jenova or the Lifestream, and the concept of "numbers" most obviously alludes to Sephiroth's many forms and the numbers tattooed on his clones.

Safer Sephiroth is also known as the "One Winged Angel" (despite having a total of five wings in this appearance) because of the extra wing he has on one side, and "One Winged Angel" is the name of the famous song which accompanies the battle with Safer Sephiroth. The title is also significant to Sephiroth's character because it drives home his "fallen angel" role, simultaneously capturing his power and glory and with his flawed, insane psyche. In Sephiroth's cameo appearance in Kingdom Hearts, although he looks nothing like Safer Sephiroth, he does have a single, large, feathered black wing behind his right arm, dramatically alluding to the "One Winged Angel" title.
------------------------------------------------------------

And Kefka recieves this description on the same page:
(summary)

Kefka is an insane, egomaniacal villain who starts out as a mere lackey but eventually acquires godlike powers. He is perhaps best remembered for his dedicated sound effect sample?, a shrill maniacal cackle, and his undying passion for revenge.

Kefka, as a character, has had a profound impact on the Final Fantasy series as well as role-playing games, and story-driven video games in general. Beyond his popularity with fans of the game, his presentation as a character was radically different from other final bosses, who were often large, demonic figures with no bearing on stories in video games other than to serve as a final challenge. Kefka broke this tradition, not only for his portrayal as a largely humorous character, but also plotwise, beginning the game as a low-level yes-man, gaining influence and power before finally becoming a global threat.

Wikiquote has a collection of quotations by or about:
Kefka PalazzoKefka's full name is Kefka Palazzo, although this is not actually mentioned in the game. His first name is believed to be derived from the name of the author Franz Kafka. There seems to be a nod to the author in the fact that a song, "Metamorphosis," played during Kefka's actual transformation, shares a title with "The Metamorphosis."

Kefka, though a profoundly unique individual from the series, is not as prominent as one would expect among Americans, due to the fact that the Final Fantasy series' popularity in the United States only took off after Final Fantasy VII.
---continued---
Kefka rules over the planet for approximately one year, before the heroes of the game regroup and attack his stronghold. During their final battle, Kefka reveals to the heroes that he has developed a nihilistic revelation, explaining that life is meaningless and his goal is now the destruction of everything.

During the final battle with Kefka, the player must fight through several forms of the character, as is traditional with final bosses in role-playing games. Several of these forms are interpretations or parodies of Renaissance art, including Michelangelo's Pietà, with an image of Kefka replacing that of Jesus; as well as the character's final form, as an Angel of Death and an ironic reference to Lucifer (the 'fallen angel') by bearing the appearance of an angel.

-----------------
Which do you think is cooler? The insane Kefka wanting to destroy everything in the form of the anticrist as taken from revelations.
or
Sephiroth the artificial god, the form that Lucifer lusts for?

To me they are both very alike, with very deep religious roots - sephiroth in judism, and kefka in christianity.

I for one vote kefka as my favorite - as he is a monster, and a change and a well worked character imo. He doesnt have many famous quotes, but his intentions were raw and mallice - giving him my overall vote.

what do ya think of this info - found again at http://en.wikipedia.org They did thier good research there! :)

Bipper GOES

tailz
07-12-2005, 04:04 PM
very nice stuff but this belongs in general ff i think but i think kefka's way better

bipper
07-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Sorry, I am new the the boards and just hit add new threads:) more used to the old cgi BBs!

(Freaks out and lets out a scream (WHAT ARE ALL THESE BUTTONS!))

again sorries

Bipper

boys from the dwarf
07-12-2005, 07:43 PM
welcome to EOFF.hope i can make your time as miserable as possible.wait.no.the other one.erm!happy as possible.but dont worry if you need someone to take the piss out of you every day just ask. :cool: :) ;) :greenie: :beer: :up: :thumb: :bgl: :bigsmile: :joker:

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Interesting information you have there.

*moves*

Kakashi509
07-13-2005, 01:24 AM
I'll just say this... I was to lazy to read it, but if it's about how Sephiroth could kick kefka's @$$ I like you if it's the other way well lets just say... you don't want to know the consquences

ljkkjlcm9
07-13-2005, 01:58 AM
hey, kefka did have some good quotes for instance, "Son of a submariner" or "You sound like a self-help booklet"

THE JACKEL

Kakashi509
07-13-2005, 02:17 AM
yes but he also dresses like a clown, and didn't kill Aeris

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-13-2005, 06:00 AM
A stiff breeze could have killed Aeris and Sephiroth didn't kill Aeris anyways, it was Jenova. Sephiroth is a frozen corpse inside of the Great Crater. Kefka subjugated the world and lorded over it like a God. "Sephiroth" didn't even manage to get meteor in. Kefka is far superior in all aspects to Sephiroth.

Christmas
07-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Kefka has such a decent sense of humour and he has MORE wings than Sephiroth. Althought Kefka didn't kill Aeris, he killed GESTAHL, that pitiful helpless old gramps which is everyone favourite emperor in the game.

I mourned three days and three nights when my beloved his majesty died. :D

Kefka tortured the whole world like tiny little worthless cockroaches which he squeeze them to death everynight before he goes to bed. :p

Look at Kefka's home, it is so cool!! You can find all soft of stuff inside. From Atma to the three statues that claim to be the source of magic but look nothing more but some senseless monument to me. :D

And which clown villian in history can such wonderful career like him??? Joker from Batman? Zorn and Thorn from FF9? No way! :love:

As for Sephiroth, well he do have a longer sword than anyone else and we all know he is such a fillial son calling out for Mama here and then. Well, nothing else.

Kakashi509
07-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey Gestahl is cool don't dis him

Christmas
07-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Sorry if I offended you. :cry:

liamo
07-13-2005, 03:03 PM
sephiroth has a big sword so he wins

boys from the dwarf
07-13-2005, 06:45 PM
as it has stated in other posts sephiroth has more than one wing i forgot which thread it is but is says sephiroth has 8 wings but i would call them even.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Sephiroth carries a No-Dachi which is a sword with a blade about six feet in length. It's incredibly unwieldy and while it can be powerful, it is difficult to use it with any real speed because of its size and the way it off-balances someone. Kefka has a lot of powerful magic, far superior to that of Sephiroth, even while controlled by Jenova. "Big sword" aside, Kefka would have no problem against Sephiroth.

boys from the dwarf
07-14-2005, 06:45 AM
what about his masamune sword and if thats the sword you are talking about sephiroth would be able to use it quickly.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-14-2005, 06:51 AM
Unless it specifically says "the masamune is a weightless blade" in the description of it, the masamune probably weighs the same as a regular no-dachi, which is the type of sword Sephiroth uses. Those things are incredibly unwieldy due to their size, a blade that's taller than a person unbalances really easy, and the weight is no small matter either. It wouldn't be slow, but if used correctly it could be pretty powerful.

ThroneofDravaris
07-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Unless it specifically says "the masamune is a weightless blade" in the description of it, the masamune probably weighs the same as a regular no-dachi, which is the type of sword Sephiroth uses. Those things are incredibly unwieldy due to their size, a blade that's taller than a person unbalances really easy, and the weight is no small matter either. It wouldn't be slow, but if used correctly it could be pretty powerful.

Actually, in most FF games, the Masamune gives you the ability to always strike first, so speed isn't a factor with this weapon. Although, it wasn't so or the final battle in FF7, otherwise you would have been screwed...

Anyway, I think Kefka would win, simply because Kefka has already obtained to power of the godesses when you fight him, and Sephiroth was yet to absorb the power of the planet at the end of FF7.

Plus, Angelic Keka looks much better than Safer Sephiroth....

boys from the dwarf
07-14-2005, 08:41 PM
and seem as some people say sephiroth was made because of kefka kefka would be stronger although sephiroth is one of the best villains theres alway a better one.

ljkkjlcm9
07-14-2005, 09:10 PM
you can't say sephiroth is better cause he killed aeris, I mean, Kefka killed Leo and he was awesome, especially the first time you reach that part of the game, it's like, holy crap you mean I'm gonna get Leo on my team, wow Shock is so cool, and then Kefka kills him and it sucks majorly. Forget reviving Aeris, I'd much rather revive Leo.

THE JACKEL

boys from the dwarf
07-15-2005, 08:30 AM
you can't say sephiroth is better cause he killed aeris, I mean, Kefka killed Leo and he was awesome, especially the first time you reach that part of the game, it's like, holy crap you mean I'm gonna get Leo on my team, wow Shock is so cool, and then Kefka kills him and it sucks majorly. Forget reviving Aeris, I'd much rather revive Leo.

THE JACKEL
hooray for ljkkjlcm9 for finally understanding that aeris sucks.(worst character in FF7 and im not just saying that because she sucks.)

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Kefka also kills Gestahl and about half of the world's population. I think that's a bit worse than one girl.

strawberryman
07-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Kefka also kills Gestahl and about half of the world's population. I think that's a bit worse than one girl.

Too true. :p

Buccura
07-18-2005, 01:50 AM
No contest, Kefka would whip Sephiroth's ass.