PDA

View Full Version : Songs that "rip Off" Back grounds

MJN SEIFER
07-12-2005, 10:53 PM
I dunno why but I thought do a thread about this.

Has anyone heard anysongs that are a different tune to other songs but have the same background MUSIC. It's hard to explain. The music is the same but the lyrics and tune (Of the Lyrics -Not music is different) Some examples are.

"Under Pressure" ~Queen and "Ice Ice Baby!" ~Vannilla Ice

"Dude" ~ Beenie Man and "Gunshot" ~Akon

There's also a song that's music (not tune) sounds like a song that I think is called "I know this much is true" But I don't know what the other song is.

Man I'm having dificulty describing this...

Flying Mullet
07-12-2005, 10:56 PM
It's called sampling and sadly enough a lot of musicians do it. You'll find that a lot of musicians have sampled over the years.

Ice Ice Baby is an example of where Vanilla Ice sampled from Queen.

Chris
07-12-2005, 11:02 PM
LL Cool J's hit song "Doin' It" is sampled from Grace Jones' original hit from 1982: "My Jamaican Guy."

nik0tine
07-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Grace Jones. :p

Flying Mullet
07-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I've noticed that a lot of R&B, rap and hip hop songs made in the last ten years sample heavily from Motown and other older funk songs. It's really sad there isn't more new material.

Chris
07-12-2005, 11:16 PM
I've noticed that a lot of R&B, rap and hip hop songs made in the last ten years sample heavily from Motown and other older funk songs. It's really sad there isn't more new material.
Right, like Grace Jones. BASTARDS.

Grace Jones. :p
'Bless. <3

BabyVixen
07-12-2005, 11:50 PM
That song by P Diddy and R. Kelly - "I'm Gonna Be Alright" Jlo and Nas

Hawkeye
07-12-2005, 11:54 PM
That's because they all suck

Flying Mullet
07-12-2005, 11:54 PM
All songs involving P Diddy/Puff Daddy/Sean "Puffy" Combs are samples. The guy's a great businessman but can't make his own original music to save his life.

GooeyToast
07-13-2005, 12:00 AM
All songs involving P Diddy/Puff Daddy/Sean "Puffy" Combs are samples. The guy's a great businessman but can't make his own original music to save his life.

I know. He completely ripped off the Police's "Every Breath You Take", as well as quite a few other songs.

~Keep it gooey~

MecaKane
07-13-2005, 12:16 AM
I know. He completely ripped off the Police's "Every
Breath You Take", as well as quite a few other songs.

Ripping off would imply he's trying to get away with something. And it's a staple of the goddamn rap industry, get over it. These people write their own rhymes/lyrics, which is more than you can say about most of the other music on the radio and TV.

GooeyToast
07-13-2005, 01:20 AM
Was I complaining?

No.

I am aware of the rap indusrty, and how everyone "borrows" songs. I was simply saying he took the Police's "Every Breath You Take", kept the same melody, changed it to "I'll be missing you", and called it his own. THAT is not "writing your own lyrics".

~Keep it gooey~

crashNUMBERS
07-13-2005, 01:28 AM
It's called sampling and sadly enough a lot of musicians do it. You'll find that a lot of musicians have sampled over the years.

Ice Ice Baby is an example of where Vanilla Ice sampled from Queen.
Thank you!! I already knew what sampling was but I didn't think thats what he was talking about...

Umm...

"Super freak" - Rick james and "You can't touch this" - MC Hammer, Though I hate both of these songs...

Also!! "Got yourself a gun" - Nas and "SuperUgly" - Jay-Z. Jay-Z took it so he can diss nas with his own beat...

Cuchulainn
07-13-2005, 01:37 AM
You need to be careful using 'ripping off'. Sean Combs PAID royalties to use that melody. The lyrics however were original, not to him ofc he has a wagon load of Ghostwriters, I believe Jay Z or Jadakiss wrote it.

However Vanilla Ice DID rip off queen as he paid zero towards it & denied sampling. Another case was The Verves Bittersweet Symphony. Richard Ashcroft used Rolling Stones chords & recieved little to nothing in way of money for that song, he too never asked the original artists permission.

It happens everywhere. In hip hop it's an art. Hip Hop producers, and indeed ANY audio producer hunts for music to sample, experiment & come up with a great beat. Nowadays, it's not profitable to steal, it's easier for all concerned to make the royalty deal BEFORE the track is released, that way popularity & a court case won't affect how much you can pay out.

krissy
07-13-2005, 06:07 AM
if someone doesn't like sampling they obviously haven't heard of a little band called The Avalanches

Shoeberto
07-13-2005, 07:37 AM
"It's the twenty-first century, MC's please,
you're killin' hip hop
when you
sample the Beegees."

I think it depends on what song is being sampled and in what context. I have no problem with MC Chris sampling Vanilla Ice's "Ninja Rap" in "Bad(dd) Runner." Or MC Lars sampling Brand New's "Okay I Believe You But My Tommygun Don't" in "Mr. Raven." There are some songs, though, where it's just unacceptable. Lil John sampling Ozzy's "Crazy Train," for example, was awful.

-N-
07-13-2005, 07:44 AM
There are some songs, though, where it's just unacceptable. Lil John sampling Ozzy's "Crazy Train," for example, was awful.YEAH!

Cz
07-13-2005, 01:24 PM
if someone doesn't like sampling they obviously haven't heard of a little band called The Avalanches :love:

There's nothing wrong with sampling in my view. I'd rather listen to a classic motown rhythm than a repetitive drum and bass 'tune' like the ones that seem to be present in most popular music.

Devourment
07-13-2005, 01:31 PM
There was a Michael Jackson song background tune that was sampled. Can't remember who copied it though...

Maxico
07-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Angle by Shaggy used another songs background but I can't remember what it was.

Cz
07-13-2005, 03:19 PM
That whole song was a cover, actually.

crashNUMBERS
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
When you sample bassically all you do is take the instrumental and sing over that right??

jrgen
07-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Nothing is completely original. I hate artists who claim that someone else's music is inspired from thier music and sounds somewhat similar, and then try to get money out of it by suing. I think using samples from other songs is OK, as long as you don't try to hide the fact that you did so. For example this song (http://vr.dv8.net/audio/beweglichanimalisch.mp3) uses guitar samples from a Nirvana song. That doesn't make it sound anything alike though.

muchacho
07-13-2005, 05:35 PM
awhile back, when the "new" godzilla came out(i think 1998 or 99), piddy used led zeppelins "kashmir" for the background, i almost cried.

Optium
07-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Actually most pop songs made in the past 10 years has been a
cover or a rip of a pop song that was made in the 80s, which were often
covers of pop songs from the 70s and 60s. And by most I mean nearly
every. ;\

Also don't forget that Puff Daddy actually had Jimmy play, it wasn't a rip
but a collaboration. Then again every song Puff Daddy has made has been
a rip of an 80s song.

.opt

Shoeberto
07-14-2005, 06:06 AM
When you sample bassically all you do is take the instrumental and sing over that right??
Sampling is using any clip from anything in a song. For example, sometimes artists use quotes from movies in their songs. That's sampling. Some artists use the entire backing music to a song in their song. That's also sampling. Really, copying straight-up any audio clip for use in a new audio clip is sampling.

Ravenmorghane
07-14-2005, 09:36 AM
what about Metallica's 'sad but true' and Kid Rock's 'american badass'
That wasnt sampling it was sheer rip of one of 'Tallicas best riffs.
And I'll be damned if that filthy redneck fluffycoat-wearin skinny-boy paid a single american cent for it.