PDA

View Full Version : SellOuts...

Dreddz
07-12-2005, 11:10 PM
What bands/artists do you think are SellOuts and are only in the music buisness for money ?

I think that Dizzy Rascal is one big SellOut, he started in the Grime Scene, then Left it and started appearing on Music shows ( Top Of The Pop ), changed his music to join in with the big crowd. And now, hes made a come back into the Grime Scene, but he aint got a nice reception. He had a clash with a Grime artist called Crazy Titch, who pretty much Slewed him. And thats wat you get for being a SellOut

Anyone Else Know Any SellOuts ??????

GooeyToast
07-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Almost all mainstream rap/rock/punk nowadays.

~Keep it gooey~

Rye
07-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Linkin Park, definitely. Their first album was nice, but the rest of their stuff was crap.

Flying Mullet
07-12-2005, 11:20 PM

Chris
07-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Britney Spears? Seriously, I hope she doesn't think that her music is good.

Flying Mullet
07-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Grace Jones?

:D :p

Chris
07-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Tom Jones?

Yes. :D

Hawkeye
07-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Grace Jones?

Thats what I thought

90s punk is way better than todays, but I still listen to it

Jebus
07-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Grace Jones?

Thats what I thought

90s punk is way better than todays, but I still listen to it

And 70's punk is even better.

The only band that I "liked" that sold out was Metallica. That was during my metal phase.

radyk05
07-13-2005, 01:40 AM
britney isn't a sellout because she started in the po[o]p scene. metallica is a good example of a sellout. green day also. the thing with selling out is that it is extremely dificult to the artist to return to the scene where he/she/them started. oh, evanesence is also a sellout (i'm not a fan of theirs but i herad that they were on the underground goth scene, released an album and then released the album that most of us know).

Rye
07-13-2005, 01:42 AM
britney isn't a sellout because she started in the po[o]p scene. metallica is a good example of a sellout. green day also. the thing with selling out is that it is extremely dificult to the artist to return to the scene where he/she/them started. oh, evanesence is also a sellout (i'm not a fan of theirs but i herad that they were on the underground goth scene, released an album and then released the album that most of us know).

They're not a sell out, Evanescence, as they weren't an underground goth scene. They aren't goth and they were too unknown to even be underground.

Their new album may be more a more mainstream rock then their older extra beautiful stuff, but it was never selling out. And they never had an album, they released EPs, but you're probably thinking of Origin, which is an EP that is almost an album, because of the large amount of songs on it. :)

Caspian
07-13-2005, 01:45 AM
Aww, I used to play Dizzy on my radio show. He rocked.

Shadowdust
07-13-2005, 05:26 AM
I don't really give a crap if a band sells out if they keep releasing good music. I really don't care what their lifestyle is like or why they make music. Good music is good music whether I agree with their motivations or the amount of exposure they have.

Jack
07-13-2005, 09:02 AM
I've never really liked Green Day, and their display at T In The Park (Not allowing their set be filmed- probably cause it's for a DVD) was appaling.
Sell outs.

Meat Puppet
07-13-2005, 12:34 PM
ALL OF THEM. (except, of course, the ones that didn't)

faster skating penguin
07-13-2005, 01:44 PM

radyk05
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by radyk05:
britney isn't a sellout because she started in the po[o]p scene. metallica is a good example of a sellout. green day also. the thing with selling out is that it is extremely dificult to the artist to return to the scene where he/she/them started. oh, evanesence is also a sellout (i'm not a fan of theirs but i heard that they were on the underground goth scene, released an album and then released the album that most of us know).

They're not a sell out, Evanescence, as they weren't an underground goth scene. They aren't goth and they were too unknown to even be underground.

i heard it somewhere. im not a fan.

Loony BoB
07-13-2005, 03:53 PM
I don't really give a crap if a band sells out if they keep releasing good music. I really don't care what their lifestyle is like or why they make music. Good music is good music whether I agree with their motivations or the amount of exposure they have.
Yes.

Tidus5
07-13-2005, 03:59 PM
I think Blink-182 may be the biggest sellouts of all time.

Agent Proto
07-13-2005, 04:00 PM
I agree with Shadowdust. I don't care if a band or musician is a sellout. By selling out, they've become successful. And by becoming successful, they have to sell out in order to stay successful. Not everyone goes bad when they "sell out"

jrgen
07-13-2005, 04:50 PM
But music shouldn't be about remaining successful. It should be about creating art.

Shadowdust
07-13-2005, 08:32 PM
And in order to create art, you can't be successful? More often than not, a band is considered a sell out just because they make money. Just because they have exposure.

I just don't get how some of you folks seem to equate expressing yourself with staying "underground" or whatever term you use these days. Not everyone in the music industry is looking to make a quick buck with mediocre songs. There are a lot of successful artists that do a fantastic job of creating art. And perhaps they don't necessarily appeal to your musical taste, but does that make them any less talented? Does that make them any less artistic?

Maybe instead of judging these bands, maybe we should be a bit more critical of the outlets for this music. For example, how about complaining about the radio stations and music channels for the constant playing of the same exact songs for months and months while ignoring the rest of the songs on these bands' albums?

In the end though, no matter what I say those who believe so firmly in this sellout issue will not be convinced. If something gets popular, I'm sure you will continue in your ways and hate it with the excuse of the band being a sellout.

jrgen
07-13-2005, 10:16 PM
But it is a fact that success has destroyed many good bands.

Examples: OOMPH!, In Extremo, Rammstein, Metallica, etc.

Lindy
07-13-2005, 10:20 PM
I define selling out as a band changing their style completely in order to make more money.

If they just become successful, but keep their usual style which I enjoy, then I don't consider that as selling out.

Of course, if a band changes their style regardless of whether it's to make more money or not and I dislike the change, I'll stop listening to what I dislike.

The thing to keep in mind is that, even if a band "sells out", it doesn't mean the older material is just removed from existance, you can still go back and listen to it and that is what I would do.

Cloud No.9
07-13-2005, 10:21 PM
what the hell is the grime scene?

Destai
07-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Theres music I like and music I dont. Im not that concerned to be honest. *superior*

Zeldy
07-13-2005, 10:25 PM
If the band makes good music, who cares?
There is no such thing as "Good Music", its all opinions.

Cz
07-13-2005, 10:36 PM
I seriously doubt that any band/artist could possibly be in the industry exclusively for the money. Could Dizee Rascal, Linkin Park or any of the other bands mentioned in this thread really have intentionally released albums they didn't like just for the sake of making money?

Music is about creating art, as jrgen rightly said, but art is subjective, and people's preferences are prone to change. A band won't want to make the same music throughout their career, and in some cases this may alienate some of their fans. But people don't make music they dislike just because it will make them rich, they make it because that's an artistic direction they choose to take. Maybe it's a more mainstream direction, maybe one that satisfies the hardcore fanbase, or maybe a change to a whole different genre, but that change will be an artistic decision. Maybe there are one or two exceptions to this rule, although I find even that to be quite unlikely.

Madame Adequate
07-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Pht. I don't care if a band sells out or not. I just care if the music was good or not.

And art or not, it's not like anyone is sitting around thinking "I'm gonna be a moderately liked musician who is known in his home county by a couple of hundred people and gets $45 for doing a show!", are they? You see a chance, you take it. The worst thing that annoys me is when a band changes as a natural process of making music but get called sellouts. It's not happened to them, but the best examples I can think of of naturally changing music is Incubus.

Also, 'slewed'?

Dreddz
07-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Also, 'slewed'?
Just my weird language lol

Slewed means, lets say beaten

Shadowdust
07-14-2005, 04:28 AM
But it is a fact that success has destroyed many good bands.

Examples: OOMPH!, In Extremo, Rammstein, Metallica, etc.

You claim it is a fact but it is moreso an opinion. If it was a fact then these bands wouldn't even sell half of the seats at their concerts nor would they have their albums bought or downloaded (legally or illegally). And I'm sure you'll find that a lot of the folks that still listen to these bands have been with them since the beginning. So obviously it's not a fact, it's an opinion that you and some others believe.

Let's be completely honest here. Imagine that you are an artist. All you want to do is express your creativity every day without anything to hold you down (such as a full time job). Do you think you can make your dream a reality without working to be a successful band? More than likely not. You have to get your name out there and perhaps you may get a record deal that will allow you to focus on nothing but your creativity.

And seriously, if any of you were in a band and some record company saw one of your performances and offered you a crap load of money to record an album for them, you wouldn't agree to? In the end, no one can live out their dreams for free. I don't deny that it is sad that one can't, but that is the reality of most people's situations.

Haven't been in a debate for ages. Feels kind of good. xD

Lindy
07-14-2005, 11:14 AM
St. Anger pretty much proves how Metallica changed in order to make more sweet dolla, y'know.

jrgen
07-14-2005, 11:38 AM
You claim it is a fact but it is moreso an opinion. If it was a fact then these bands wouldn't even sell half of the seats at their concerts nor would they have their albums bought or downloaded (legally or illegally). And I'm sure you'll find that a lot of the folks that still listen to these bands have been with them since the beginning. So obviously it's not a fact, it's an opinion that you and some others believe.
All those bands already had very strong fan bases before they changed their music for the worse. Making music more appealing to the public did give them a lot more fans, but this only shows that the money is what changed their musical style and not creative evolution.

Devourment
07-14-2005, 12:49 PM

remi07
07-14-2005, 04:12 PM
I think Counting Crows have sold out ever since I heard "Accidently in Love" from the Shrek movie. I mean compare their first album "August and Everything After" to that one song, and I think its pretty obvious that their just trying to gain fame again. Its ok for a band to experiment with different sounds, but once you've written a bubblegum-pop song for a kids movie, then I think you're trying to get back into fame a little too hard. And that's kind of pathetic, because they already have a pretty large fan base, and when you have that, who cares if you get another #1 song on the radio. They need to except that they will probably never be as popular as they were 10 years ago, and just go back to their old sound and write music for the fans they have now, before they start losing them too.
There's nothing wrong with being being a very famous singer/band that gets heavy radio play, just as long as they don't change their sound to be that. I miss the old Counting Crows :(.

Pastor_of_Muppets
07-14-2005, 08:01 PM
The Post-Black Album stuff from Metallica(But the 80's stuff they released is some of my favorite music)
Linkin Park
Green Day

Chaos
07-16-2005, 12:42 AM
On the punk scene I think there is too much emphasis on selling out. A band signs to a bigger not even major label and they have sold out. Pfft. A band has to make money. Sure, it might be nice to stick to the punk ethic and play gigs in dirty pubs travelling about in a rusty van, but ethics don't pay the bills.

You need to make money, and in our society that is unavoidable.

I do find it amusing when an anti corporate band, such as Anti-Flag goes and signs to a major label. Hmmmm.....there is such a thing as doing a U-turn in all you believe to make money.

And someone asked what the grime scene was? Uh, as far as I know its an offshoot/similar genre of UK garage music. Basically urban music, fast MC'ing over digitaly produced sampled tracks with fast beats. Called grime because...as far as I can tell, it has a grimey feel to it. I've heard a fair bit of it, it grows on you after a time. Although the only MC I can remeber the name of is Wiley the Eskimo Boy. I think. Typically a "black" music genre of the urban variety started in London.
You can get some very impressing MCing, very fast and stuff. Mind you, you also get some rubbish. Best bit I heard was "You think you're so cool cos you got a beard but I just think it makes you look weird."

Chaos

Dreddz
07-16-2005, 09:25 AM
And someone asked what the grime scene was? Uh, as far as I know its an offshoot/similar genre of UK garage music. Basically urban music, fast MC'ing over digitaly produced sampled tracks with fast beats. Called grime because...as far as I can tell, it has a grimey feel to it. I've heard a fair bit of it, it grows on you after a time. Although the only MC I can remeber the name of is Wiley the Eskimo Boy. I think.

Thats pretty much a good description of Grime, but what do you mean by

Typically a "black" music genre of the urban variety started in London.
If you mean ethnic wise, thats very not true, im white and kniw lots of people/Mc's that are white too, even if they arent well known

Chaos
07-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Tis the standard stereotype from where I am. As I dont identify myself with this scene I can only give what knowledge I have, which is it is a mainly black scene. I'm guessing I only hear the more 'well known' grime artists. But having said that, I wouldn't be able to tell a well known one from an unknown. It isn't meant to be racist or whatnot, just the same as any music generalisation like all reggae is from Jamacia etc.

Chaos

Dreddz
07-17-2005, 08:06 AM
I didnt take it racially in any way, its cool