PDA

View Full Version : Hardware problem

ShunNakamura
07-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Well I think I know what is wrong, but I figured a little extra insight wouldn't hurt.

A freind brought me his computer. This computer earlier had a ram slot problem(wouldn't always read the chip in slot 1.. put it in slot 2 and it was all fine till now(a 1-2 months at least)).

Anyways an extra fan that was sitting in his comp(really really little plastic one.. all plastic like what goes over old cpu's) this fan is now broken(the blades were busted off) and it was sitting near the ram(I suspect the blade hit the chip). His comp started having problems about the same time the fan was noticed to be broke.

So now I am taking the thing apart. I got it down to just the mother board. Everything works fine. add in the expansion slots no problem. Add in the harddrive.. just fine. The cd.. yep fine again. The floppy seems to run fine.. though sometimes the light remains on.. so I left it unplugged for the final test. Plug in the ram... nothing.. litterly nothing.

You hear the cpu turn on, you hear the hd start up, you hear the cd run, ... but nothing happens, no beeps. Un-plug the ram and it does the long beep to tell you that there is no ram present. Plug in the ram.. no beeps. The thing is supposed to make a small beep when the ram is detected right before it starts up.

Now I personally suspect either A) something fried his main board's ram slots(I doubt(hope that it isn't) it is this). or B) his ram chip isn't working.(I think this may be it).

I grabbed some of my extra ram to try it.. and well lets leave it with this.. his computer is so much newer then my old ram that my ram doesn't fit in it. The ram chip he is using is a pc2700 512 ddr ram chip. I can't find anything to fit in the slot yet... once I do I can test my theory. But I guess you guys can also throw in some insight.

Yamaneko
07-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Try to find an extra stick of PC2700 RAM. That's all I can say. Oh, and I'd be careful running a system without a CPU fan to blow air off the heatsink. It can easily overheat and cause you problems.

ShunNakamura
07-15-2005, 12:01 AM
well he still has HIS cpu fan.. but we added another in just in case cause he was having some heat problems(he keeps it runing in a tight enclosed space with little airflow.. so we figured it couldn't hurt(how wrong we may have been.. oh the Irony)).

I am looking for an extra stick of 184pin ram(that is his pin) and I don't have any.. course I have seen some on ebay going for .90-20$ but I don't got a credit card so no ebay for me. And I wanted a desktop build anyways so even if it turns out not to be the ram I could use it myself.. just gotta get away around ebay's silly CC requirement.