PDA

View Full Version : Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Necronopticous
07-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Wow, have you seen the reviews for this thing? Everyone loves it! That's a surprise because it's been looking like an unfaithful piece of garbage that completely misses the point from trailers!

Well, I decided to find out if it actually pulled through after all and went to see it today. What can I say? I absolutely loathed it to its core. So much, that I honestly can not believe people are actually giving it good reviews. Tim Burton has completely rearranged the film, and in some cases, put in things that are so completely off that they change the very meaning and purpose of the film altogether.

If you don't want to know, don't read on.

The most accurate review for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I've read for the film said "It has us understanding Willy Wonka in the end, and that's not a good thing." Which is exactly what's wrong with this movie- well I mean that's mostly what's wrong. The fact that Burton changed it into a movie about finding the meaning and importance of family, and the flashback where Willy Wonka discovers the Oompa Loompas in the forests of Oompaland were also a bit irritating.

Tim Burton has made a movie that bears little to no sense of the original Willy Wonka humor, having only a few random lines that come anywhere close. He has single handedly turned Willy Wonka into a cute childish jerk who, through the use of numerous flashbacks, shows us that he pursued his chocolatey dreams due to the hatred of his disapproving dentist father. He's loaded the film with popular, obvious, and worst of all, childish jokes stooping to such levels as "Don't touch that squirrel's nuts!"

I hate this movie, I hate the stupid new Oompa Loompa songs, I hate Johnny Depp's unfaithful new 'Willy Wonka', I hate all the stupid kids, and I hope someone burns in hell for making this.

Ahem, so anyway, what did you think?

Rye
07-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling I won't like this film, it seems too child jokish to me, but I still probably will go see it

And I hate how the Oompa Loompas are all weird and ugly and not orange. :/

Kirobaito
07-15-2005, 11:12 PM
I won't see it for the lone reason that Johnny Depp scares me to death and makes me wanna puke my own guts.

Necronopticous
07-15-2005, 11:14 PM
And I hate how the Oompa Loompas are all weird and ugly and not orange. :/ They aren't even fat midgets, they're scaled down to the size of cats via CG and camera tricks. I don't usually say this, but it's retarded.

Rye
07-15-2005, 11:16 PM
I won't see it for the lone reason that Johnny Depp scares me to death and makes me wanna puke my own guts.

The only reason I'd see it IS for Johnny Depp. Johnny Depp is brilliant, but I think he degrades himself in this movie.

Necronopticous
07-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Johnny played the part masterfully, unfortunately for him, it was a terribly unfaithful part to play.

Kittay
07-15-2005, 11:31 PM

The only reason I'd see it IS for Johnny Depp. Johnny Depp is brilliant, but I think he degrades himself in this movie.

So sad... Johnny is my future husband, after Necronopticous. I really wish my favorite actor didn't take this role, although I'm sure he did well. I'll see the movie anyway, just to support himl. But thanks for the warning honey. :(

Yamaneko
07-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Why can't writers come up with original screenplays anymore? Seriously, let the classics rest in peace and stop pissing on their graves.

Lindy
07-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Are you comparing this to the original film or to the novel? Since, really, that's what would matter more to me.

...They changed Mike TV to Video Games though, by the look of the posters >_>

Dignified Pauper
07-15-2005, 11:35 PM
perhaps Tim Burton wanted to make a film that followed more closely to the Book that Willy Wonka was based on...

Therefore, it wasn't meant to undermine the original film, but rather be a better representation of the book.

Necronopticous
07-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Are you comparing this to the original film or to the novel? Since, really, that's what would matter more to me.

...They changed Mike TV to Video Games though, by the look of the posters >_>Neither the book, nor the old film had any mention of Willy Wonka's disapproving dentist father, who he later, with the help of his sidekick Charlie reunites with and learns the importance and meaning of family. It completely changes the meaning and direction of both original mediums.

Lindy
07-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Ok, now I see your point, my urge to see this film is falling.

And I was so looking forward to see how it would turn out. Jesus, dentist, could you get any more cliche?

Winter Nights
07-15-2005, 11:56 PM
So they decided to give Willy Wonka backstory. I don't see the big deal. And Willy Wonka was a bit of a psychotic jerk in the books. It was his demented humour at the misfortune of the children that made me love the book. I hated the Gene Wilder film (though don't get me wrong, Gene Wilder is a genious). And the second trailer did give me high hopes, in contrast to the first which weirded me out.

Anyho.. Gonna see the IMAX version tomorrow. We'll see.

Destai
07-16-2005, 12:05 AM
I think it looks terrible and the first movie was disgusting also.

Necronopticous
07-16-2005, 12:08 AM
So they decided to give Willy Wonka backstory. I don't see the big deal. And Willy Wonka was a bit of a psychotic jerk in the books. It was his demented humour at the misfortune of the children that made me love the book.You missed the point almost as much as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory did.

Lindy
07-16-2005, 12:11 AM
I like my Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to have the point that is this :
If you're an obnoxious, nasty, horrible person, you get your just desserts.
If you're nice and kind person, you'll get along fine.

Heck, look at Charlie, he went and broke the rules by drinking uhh...that soda that makes you fly, and Wonka still gave him the Factory and took him on adventures through space.

Necronopticous
07-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Heck, look at Charlie, he went and broke the rules by drinking uhh...that soda that makes you fly, and Wonka still gave him the Factory and took him on adventures through space.Oh yeah, they totally removed that too. Charlie is perfect.

Destai
07-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Id watch the movie if Wonka fed the children and the grandpa to the oompa loompas. That would rock. Seriously five stars.

Winter Nights
07-16-2005, 12:37 AM
So they decided to give Willy Wonka backstory. I don't see the big deal. And Willy Wonka was a bit of a psychotic jerk in the books. It was his demented humour at the misfortune of the children that made me love the book.You missed the point almost as much as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory did.Wow.. Cause, you know I just read the book two days ago. Sure it all had a point, as these children were spoiled brats.. But Willy Wonka got a kick out of their misfortune. The book was pretty dark for it's time. making a darkish movie would seem perfect to me. As for childish jokes.. It's a kids movie.

And Charlie was perfect in the book. Fizzy Lifting drinks had a brief mention, but Charlie and Grandpa never stole any.

Rye
07-16-2005, 12:55 AM
The original movie was great, and I loved the book too. I hope they didn't deviate too much from it.

Chibi Youkai
07-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Johnny Depp looks like a sissy in it.
I never had much hope for it, but even that's very rapidly fading.

Necronopticous
07-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Wow.. Cause, you know I just read the book two days ago. Sure it all had a point, as these children were spoiled brats.. But Willy Wonka got a kick out of their misfortune. The book was pretty dark for it's time. making a darkish movie would seem perfect to me. As for childish jokes.. It's a kids movie. :rolleyes2The point is that Willy Wonka doesn't have demented humor, the subtle demented humor of the original is gone, replaced with obvious and childish humor and one liners. The movie <i>shouldn't</i> be a kid's movie, and even as such, it doesn't have anything to do with Willy Wonka having a stupid cliche past. Why does he need an explanation? The entire message of the original film, and book, is traded in for childish humor, teaching a family lesson, and jokes like "You smell like old people!"

Winter Nights
07-16-2005, 01:29 AM
Wow.. Cause, you know I just read the book two days ago. Sure it all had a point, as these children were spoiled brats.. But Willy Wonka got a kick out of their misfortune. The book was pretty dark for it's time. making a darkish movie would seem perfect to me. As for childish jokes.. It's a kids movie. :rolleyes2The point is that Willy Wonka doesn't have demented humor, the subtle demented humor of the original is gone, replaced with obvious and childish humor and one liners. The movie <i>shouldn't</i> be a kid's movie, and even as such, it doesn't have anything to do with Willy Wonka having a stupid cliche past. Why does he need an explanation? The entire message of the original film, and book, is traded in for childish humor, teaching a family lesson, and jokes like "You smell like old people!"

Wait.. Did you actually expect a movie for adults, that's based on a children's book? I expect some childish jokes. And I never said that Willy Wonka needed an explanation. I just didn't see the hoopla of complaining that they gave him one.

Aside from that.. Sounds like I may need to prepare for disappointment tomorrow. And here I was thinking if anyone could finally do it right, it'd be Tim Burton. We'll see...

Aurey
07-16-2005, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Necro. I won't be seeing this, and I didn't have intention to do so anyway before I read your review. My brother's gone to see it, and I'm sure he'll have the same reaction you had.

Also, nobody, and I mean nobody, can pull off the great job that Gene Wilder did as Willy Wonka in the first movie, not even Johnny Depp. But then again, that could just my opinion.

GooeyToast
07-16-2005, 06:05 AM
Agreed, Gene Wilder is the ultimate Wonka.

I still might see it, even though everyone here is dogging on it. IDK, maybe just cause Burton made it.

~Keep it gooey~

Necronopticous
07-16-2005, 06:12 AM
maybe just cause Burton made it.This is the only explanation I can possibly think of to explain the good reviews.

Excelsior
07-16-2005, 06:46 AM
I honestly hated everything involving Willy Wonka since forever, so this movie would probably just make me want to hang myself. Thanks for the heads up, i am definately not letting my family drag me to this crap.

kikimm
07-16-2005, 07:07 AM
I honestly hated everything involving Willy Wonka since forever, so this movie would probably just make me want to hang myself. Thanks for the heads up, i am definately not letting my family drag me to this crap.

Hee. I don't hate everything Wonka, but I never liked the original, never read the book, and now after all the negative things in here....meh. Not worth my time. Or my allowance. xD

:D

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-16-2005, 07:12 AM
I was never a big fan of Willy Wonka and I actually enjoyed the movie. It was childish and cliche, yes, but I was expecting that and some of it was genuinely amusing. I rather liked the Oompa Loompa songs because they were so rediculous, really. I thought it was generally a good movie, although probably not so much from the purist's standpoint.

Rase
07-16-2005, 07:49 AM
I probably won't see it, if for only the fact that it doesn't look like something I want to spend $9.75 on. I rarely see movies anymore, unless they look really good. I just wait for the video.

Shadowdust
07-17-2005, 03:09 AM
Well when I read this thread last night, it gave me hope that I would like the film. And I was right. The movie was great. Thanks for all of the negative reviews, otherwise I might not have seen it.

General-Beatrix
07-17-2005, 03:24 AM

Yeah, Johnny Depp just looks wrong as Willy Wonka. The first and original one was much better.

Chibi Youkai
07-17-2005, 03:29 AM
Well when I read this thread last night, it gave me hope that I would like the film. And I was right. The movie was great. Thanks for all of the negative reviews, otherwise I might not have seen it.

Huh? That made no sense. :confused:

My name is...something..?
07-17-2005, 03:30 AM
Negative Reviews = Anticipation???

Shadowdust
07-17-2005, 03:48 AM
Well yes. My tastes are always the opposite of the majority. And so far the majority of the posters have posted distaste for the movie. I think it makes sense. Every movie that I've heard posters whine about, I've always enjoyed.

It's the same rule that so many apply to movie critics. If they like it, movie goers will hate it and vice versa. If you don't get it, oh well. :rolleyes2

Necronopticous
07-17-2005, 03:54 AM
Well yes. My tastes are always the opposite of the majority. And so far the majority of the posters have posted distaste for the movie. I think it makes sense. Every movie that I've heard posters whine about, I've always enjoyed.

It's the same rule that so many apply to movie critics. If they like it, movie goers will hate it and vice versa. If you don't get it, oh well. :rolleyes2Ah, but critics love this movie. In fact, it's getting excellent reviews all across the board. So much for going against the grain, eh?

Germ Hamee
07-17-2005, 05:17 AM
No worries, Shadowdust. I resonate.

So, to all of you whining about how it wasn't faithful to Roald Dahl's novel or the Gene Wilder film: did it say anywhere in the credits Direct Remake of...old movie/book? Because, unless it was implied somewhere that this is supposed to be exactly the same as everything you've seen before just prettier, I don't see the issue. What would be the fun OR art in that, anyway? There's nothing wrong with a guy basing a movie off a book and going in his own direction with it.

Sorry, I just hate nothing more than people not liking something because it "missed the vision of the original." Well, guess what? It's not the original. That's what the original is there for. Go watch that if you're unwilling to be unbiased when seeing a revision. Secondly, I'd like to see what goes through your head on a regular basis if you didn't expect to see childish humor in a movie full of little kids in a chocolate factory. o.O

Chibi Youkai
07-17-2005, 05:36 AM
I didn't say that. It just didn't look like a movie I'd like, re-make, or not.

kikimm
07-17-2005, 05:36 AM
Sorry, I just hate nothing more than people not liking something because it "missed the vision of the original." Well, guess what? It's not the original. That's what the original is there for.

I think this is because that people are expecting something like the original, and become disappointed because of that. I know if they made a movie of of one of my favorite books that ended up being unfaithful, I would be disappointed

But, of course, if it was a good movie, I would be willing to overlook that.

So.....am I agreeing with you? I don't know anymore. Ignore me. xD

Necronopticous
07-17-2005, 05:49 AM
Secondly, I'd like to see what goes through your head on a regular basis if you didn't expect to see childish humor in a movie full of little kids in a chocolate factory. o.OExactly!

Halifax Housewife
07-17-2005, 06:19 AM
i got so high for that movie.. what a trip that was. 'nuff said

Winter Nights
07-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Watched it last night. It was great. Purists may hate the fact that they changed things, but the changes didn't really hurt the movie. And all changes from the book were really minor. Most changes from the old movie were straight out of the book. Even the added backstory, though it felt out of place, worked cause it gave Depp's portrayal of Wonka some meaning. It certainly would not have worked for Gene Wilder's version, but does here. As a remake and an adaption it may have failed, but as a stand-alone movie it's utter brilliance.

XenoSphere
07-17-2005, 01:51 PM
I loved it! Burton did a great job and Elfman's music was simply mesmerizing. You see, this was not a re-make of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, if that's what you want it to be, which was completely unfaithful to the original novel. Don't compare it to the old film and don't let that sway your judgement. Let it be it's own film, it's own story. Anyway, I thought it was great and everyone I know really liked it too. :D

Winter Nights
07-17-2005, 03:10 PM
BTW.. The "new" Oompa Loompa songs aren't new. Most of the lyrics straight out of the book.

-N-
07-18-2005, 07:35 AM
To me, a remake of a story is meant to change things around, to reinterpret the story, to give it a fresh take. Why would I want to watch it otherwise?

Having said that, this movie made me feel like a kid again. I smiled and laughed and felt all sorts of crazy emotions I felt when I was a little kid not much richer than Charlie himself. It felt good to watch. :up:

Miriel
07-18-2005, 08:17 AM
I liked it. I did think that they poured on the weirdness of Wonka a little too thickly, but other than that I thought it was pretty good. All of the kids were spot-on, and Freddie Highmore was lovely as Charlie. Man, I love that kid.

I did not like the new Oompa Loompas.

I'll always love the 1971 version, and this one can never take it's place. But it was a fun movie, and I don't understand the hostility some people have toward it.

Shlup
07-18-2005, 09:26 AM
It can't be "unfaithful" because it wasn't supposed to be like the original. Tim Burton made the movie because he hated the original and wanted to make a new one.

And, though I didn't think it was a great movie, I didn't like the original and like this new one better. Though I'd rather the new Oopma Loompa's were orange still.

Project G
07-18-2005, 10:27 AM
I love tim burton, he is a legendary director. 2nd in my list of directors. 1st is Quentin Tarantino

Winter Nights
07-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Again for the Oompa Loompa changes.. Following the book. Jesus...

Miriel
07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Again for the Oompa Loompa changes.. Following the book. Jesus...
And just because it's like that in the book, doesn't mean that we have to enjoy it in the movie. :)

I like my Oompa Loompas orange, thankyouverymuch.

kikimm
07-18-2005, 06:43 PM
The oompa loompas bugged me here. They bugged me in the original movie. But I never saw the whole original movie.

I went into this as open-mided as possible (which was hard), and while I thuoght that some scenes, or some lines were really, really horrible, I liked it. It was funny, which was good, but everyone in my theater would laugh HYSTERICALLY at every single joke, which kind of turned me a bit cynical.

Well, for one, I could actually watch this entire mvoie without getting bored. Same cannot be said for the original. I think Tim Burton did a great job. Casting was excellent. Dialogue was good, for the most part.

If you just want to be entertained for two hours, I'd say this movie is a good choice.

Old Manus
07-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Johnny Depp = Woman.

edczxcvbnm
07-18-2005, 07:28 PM
I saw the movie. It was good but I like the original a lot more. What really turned me off in this one were the songs. HOLY CRAP did they ever make me wish I had a fast forward button.

Eternal Dark Night
07-18-2005, 07:33 PM
what was he wearing it looked like something michal jackson would of wore man i can't spell his name

Sephex
07-18-2005, 08:15 PM
It was a good movie. I liked it enough. I want to watch the original again because of it.

DragonflyLex
07-19-2005, 12:34 AM
I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it was great!

Johnny Depp was so weird, but so funny.
I love how he actually because his character, it's so weird.

I love Tim Burton. My favorite movie of all time is The Nightmare Before Christmas, and I can't wait for Corpse Bride coming out in September!
I love his other movies like Edward Scissor Hands, and Big Fish! He is very smart!

If you never seen the original movie, see that first, then go see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!

Xaven
07-19-2005, 01:00 AM
I saw the movie last with with ten of my friends and we all loved it. I didn't like the Oompa Loompas from either movies, and the new songs weren't so hot. I believe that all the kids played (and looked) their parts spectacularly. I think I may have enjoyed it more because I was with all my friends, but I still believe it was excellent if your not one of those people asking why they changed so much from the original and the book. Also, don't expect anymore than a kiddish movie from a kid's book.

By itself, it's a great movie.

-N-
07-19-2005, 01:09 AM
The Oompa Loompas WERE TOTALLY INDIAN!!! HOW CAN YOU SAY NO!!! xD