PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ball Z

Rye
07-16-2005, 01:54 AM
Dragon Ball Z used to be one of the greatest shows ever. Up to the end of the Cell era was awesome. The Bu era was like... wtf? 5 year old kids that can blow up a million planets and fusion hah and all that stuff. Weird.

I miss the old episodes. But what's also great about DBZ is its cliches, like the 100 episodes for a 2 minute battle before a planet blows up, the battle field that's impossibly large yet so accessable, Goku being impossibly perfect and nice to the enemies, etc.

Dragon Ball Z in a Nut Shell (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=31681) and its sequal (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/109582) show off these cliches pretty well, they're really funny.

Did you like DBZ? What was your favourite era? Mine is definitely the Freeza era, but the Cell era was awesome too.

Destai
07-16-2005, 01:59 AM
I used to love it while on cartoon network but then they put it onto this cartoon network anime channel which I didnt have and I lost contact with it.

Aurey
07-16-2005, 02:02 AM
Ahaha, this brings back memories.

Yes, I totally used to be obsessed. My friends and I would act like characters from the shows and we used to call eachother by the person we "claimed" or played or whatnot. And we used all watch it together at six o clock at my friend's house. Oh man I was so cool back then. I wonder what happened. D:

The shows are really all a blur to me, so I can't remember what I era I really liked. I think the Cell era, maybe.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-16-2005, 02:06 AM
My fav saga was the ...*thinks back* The Cell Saga. I liked most of the movies though,they were fun to watch (only watched the first six and that was twice or three times each)

TheAbominatrix
07-16-2005, 02:18 AM
I never could stomach much of it. While some of it is very cool (I really like the non-battle interaction, like the driving lessons episode), I find it to be too insanely reptitive, and it drags on far too long. As I've said before, this, I feel, sums up pretty much every episode of DBZ:
*bad guy appears, good guys attack with everything and cover him in smoke*
"Yay, we won!"
*smoke clears*
"Haha you can not kill me!"
"Oh noes!"

And basically that, getting stronger, fighting, dying, getting stronger, fighting, fighting.

Oh, and the battle on Namek drove me insane.
"Oh noes, the planet is gonna blow up in five minutes!"
*25 episodes later*
"Oh noes, the planet is gonna blow up in three minutes!"

It has it's moments, but on the whole it drives me bonkers. I also find Toriyama's style to be very ugly, but I do like the 'people named after food and underwear' bit to be quite amusing.

DK
07-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Dude I used to be such a fanboi, my first name on EoFF was Majin_Squall xD I had DBZ sigs and Avatars for about two years as well. I could probably dig some of them up now If I could be arsed. I used to be obsessed with Vegeta. But eh, I got bored with them constantly repeating it because of lack of translated versions and lost interest in it.

Peegee
07-16-2005, 02:49 AM
I had the benefit...nay horror of watching all 291 episodes. It actually makes a lot of sense and doesn't drag on as it seems in dubs (probably because you have to watch 100 eps for about 3 months to get through namek saga). The story actually does drag on, but no in the manner you seem to state -- for example yes Namek is going to blow up but in those 10 mins a lot can and does happen -- some talking, some off topic scenes, etc, but it makes some sense.

It's like in movies when you have ten seconds to stop da bomb.

TheAbominatrix
07-16-2005, 02:51 AM
The battle of Namek takes WAY too many episodes, and it's WAY too much banter for that time. I dont mean the shots of people on Earth or whatever. They circle eachother on Namek, talk, fight fight, talk, banter, talk fight talk. It's horrendous.

Destai
07-16-2005, 02:53 AM
*bad guy appears, good guys attack with everything and cover him in smoke*
"Yay, we won!"
*smoke clears*
"Haha you can not kill me!"
"Oh noes!"

And basically that, getting stronger, fighting, dying, getting stronger, fighting, fighting.

Oh, and the battle on Namek drove me insane.
"Oh noes, the planet is gonna blow up in five minutes!"
*25 episodes later*
"Oh noes, the planet is gonna blow up in three minutes!"
xD I laugh because its true.

Black Mage
07-16-2005, 02:54 AM
Dragon Ball Z is best viewed subtitled, or nine years ago when it was on Fox at 6:30am after WMAC Masters.

Or best yet, in Manga form.

Wiegrahf42
07-16-2005, 03:20 AM
I abhor DBZ now though I do admit I used to like it. DBZ in a nutshell however I adore.

MoonZapdos
07-16-2005, 03:22 AM
I like DBGT better =D

crashNUMBERS
07-16-2005, 03:29 AM
I should kill who made this thread. Oh hi rye!!

XxSephirothxX
07-16-2005, 04:59 AM
I loved it as a kid, but now I realize it's utter crap and one of those shows that give anime a bad name. It took me years to convince some of my friends that all anime wasn't retarded thanks to that show. Bebop and Mononoke solved that problem. :cool:

crashNUMBERS
07-16-2005, 05:01 AM
I loved it as a kid, but now I realize it's utter crap and one of those shows that give anime a bad name. It took me years to convince some of my friends that all anime wasn't retarded thanks to that show. Bebop and Mononoke solved that problem. :cool:
Same here!!

XxSephirothxX
07-16-2005, 05:04 AM
No, see, you're still a kid.

crashNUMBERS
07-16-2005, 05:06 AM
I may be but I hate DBZ and I know a lot of anime. So really you can't say anything. Maybe your the child...

rubah
07-16-2005, 05:11 AM
Crash is the one talking about casually killing people:O

I've never watched dragonball z in my life, so I dunnoxD

XxSephirothxX
07-16-2005, 05:12 AM
I may be but I hate DBZ and i know a lot of anime. So really you can't say anything. Maybe your the child...
It's clear that I can't overcome your mad argument skills and infallible reasoning, so I'll take my pitiful childish self into a corner, watch Dragonball Z and cry until the sun rises high into the sky.

Reles
07-16-2005, 05:12 AM
I hated it with a passion...

As a kid growing up, I watched a lot of -good- anime and it was my life.

crashNUMBERS
07-16-2005, 05:15 AM
Crash is the one talking about casually killing people:O

I've never watched dragonball z in my life, so I dunnoxD
Thats a good thing. Stay away from it!!

It's clear that I can't overcome your mad argument skills and infallible reasoning, so I'll take my pitiful childish self into a corner, watch Dragonball Z and cry until the sun rises high into the sky.

Am I supposed to feel bad?? And mad argument skills?? What??

Mitch
07-16-2005, 05:27 AM
I used to watch it, but there is basically no anime in New Zealand (save late night on friday and i'm usually out) so there wasn't much choice. It was good until cell.

Rye
07-16-2005, 11:42 AM
I love the 45 episodes for the last 5 minutes of a planet, it was so ridiculous that I loved it. It's kinda like an old chinese kung fu movie. It's ridiculous, and because of that, you have to love it.

Also, to add onto the topic, did you guys ever watch the older Dragon Ball series? The one where Goku and everyone is a kid and Bulma finds Goku in the mountains and they all set out for adventure? I loved that series too, it was cute.

Winter Nights
07-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Ew... Dragon Ball Z. Worse than a farking soap opera, in that it never seemed like it would end. And for a series based around saving the earth and the universe a billion times over, they sure did alot of talking.

Medi
07-16-2005, 01:49 PM
I liked it a lot, years ago. Then two years ago I just got bored of it's repeating battles. My older sister is still obsessed though. o_0

Craig
07-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I was on holiday when Goku was to turn super saiyan for the first time in the Freeza saga. Boy was I glad to find Cartoon Network on the TV.

DBZ is completely ridiculous for all the reasons stated above and more. But I loved it.

My favourite saga was most definately the Cell saga, the Buu saga was too over the top.

I never got into DB or DBGT, DBGT was terrible.

Rye
07-16-2005, 02:01 PM
GT looks terrible. Girls named Pan and Bra and stuff, too many new small characters. :/

Meat Puppet
07-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Man, when I first started high school, a tongan boy and I were just two assholic dickheads of it. We'd go to each others houses like homos and watch it and soak in everything that was happened and said (being dbz, mostly everything said). All the stoners would talk about it, and as soon as they got a fact wrong we'd whoop their ass with the truth and even more bullcrap that could only ever be found on the internet. We even spiked our hair up to look like Vegeta and even started a two man band and flew around the school playing the DBZ theme song.

And then I grew up. :(

Christmas
07-16-2005, 02:43 PM
I like Dragon ball Z even up till now...Well, sometime I just filp the comic books and recap those moments.

My favourite is the Freeza saga as that alien freak of nature murdered Goku's dad and destroyed his race.

Pauten
07-16-2005, 03:32 PM
DBZ is a classic show. The best story arc was the Saiyan saga. Uuncut, the Goku vs. Vegeta fight is so brutal.
GT is ok. SSJ4 looked pretty cool and it got a lot better at the end after Vegeta transfomed.

Lionx
07-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Mmm i liked it dubbed in Chinese(thats just me though XD) because i dont know why..it doesnt seem to lose the humour that it sometimes has when dubbed in English..maybe its just asian langauage i ono.

The ones when Goku was little and an episode here and there wasnt too bad. I have a few VHSs and its not horribly bad back then, but i do agree once i saw it in English, it was pure and utter crap..i cannot stomach it...the tapes however seemed to cut all the crap and make it into a good 45 minute sitting. Its not something great, frankly it is kinda crap, however never have i seen it as bad as when its dubbed in English... ._.

black orb
07-16-2005, 06:39 PM
>>> I like the manga, the anime sucked though.

Zeldy
07-16-2005, 06:41 PM
I used to love it while on cartoon network but then they put it onto this cartoon network anime channel which I didnt have and I lost contact with it.
I second that. That and many other shows i got into and telewest took them away :weep:

Lon611
07-16-2005, 07:00 PM
i used to be obsessed with it as well. my favorite era would have to be....the buu saga, lol. taht, or the cell saga.

with the buu saga, i felt like they went all out, although the cell saga had a nice twist wiht the whole time travel stuff. with the saiyan saga, things were primitive compared to the rest of the series, and the freeza saga didn't do nething great.

and i do agree that the battles seemed ridiculously long, but thats what was sooo cool about them.

favorite movie prolly has to be Movie 13 (don't kno wht its called in English). i think its called like if goku can't do it, no1 can,or something like that, haha, i don't kno. either that, or the Brolly movie where it was Gohan, Goten and Trunks that fought. :tongue:

Shoeberto
07-16-2005, 07:15 PM
I watched it from right about the original Toonami airing of the Frieza saga. That was the time when they only had so many episodes to release, and halfway through the saga they'd reshow it from the beginning. Then they started showing the news ones. I watched until the beginning of the Cell saga and I got really tired of it. The android stuff was boring and I noticed all of the problems that people usually point out about the show.

I think Toonami is reairing the show from the beginning now, though, which is cool. I could probably stand it again up until the end of the Frieza saga.

The movies were pretty cool, too.

crashNUMBERS
07-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Also, to add onto the topic, did you guys ever watch the older Dragon Ball series? The one where Goku and everyone is a kid and Bulma finds Goku in the mountains and they all set out for adventure? I loved that series too, it was cute.
Sadly....Yes..

sephiroth9006
07-16-2005, 10:53 PM
and notice how it takes goku about 35 episodes to kill frieza....well hurt him in the namek saga and it takes trunks 2 and he kills him.....x.x
i think it went a bit too far with the super saiyan 3 and stuff like that but i still kinda like DBZ.....well ish...

SomethingBig
07-16-2005, 11:21 PM
I first saw DBZ at the age of 7 and I had to wake up at 7 am on Sundays to watch it. It began with the Saiyan era and I liked it. Once it got flashier, I loved it even more. I ended buying a huge amount of the Japanese episodes and pretty much knew everything there was to know about DBZ and DBGT. Now it's a mediocre anime, but I must say that the Saiyan era was the best era of all.

Shoden
07-17-2005, 11:15 PM
i used to love DBZ but those flashes are so true lol

mike without a hat
07-18-2005, 09:00 PM
I liked DB and the beginning of DBZ, all the different sagas freeza/cell/buu really turned me off though. Ive watched a bunch of the gt episodes but they really suck and i just find them boring.
I also hate the whole lets bring goku back to live 5 times then turn him into a little kid a couple times so he can out live everyone.

crashNUMBERS
07-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Yeah. After super saiyan 2 everything turned crappy. I mean SS2 goku. Gohan was the best. Favorite character of mine. I still hate DBZ...

Itsunari 2000
07-20-2005, 04:21 PM
I'll admit to being very enthusiastic about this show when I was younger,until eventually I just lost patience and interest with the never-ending CELL saga and stopped watching, conveniently just before my Dad decided to cut our cable TV.Now I realize the show's plotlines were just convoluted,repetitive and irritating not to mention those absolutely godawful,useless characters - Mr Popo, wtf ?! Krillin ? Gohan anyone ?

crashNUMBERS
07-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Actually Gohan was one of the best characters. Better than goku...

T-MaN
07-20-2005, 05:21 PM

Gohan is my fav. character in DBZhttp://prince-vegeta00.tripod.com/supersaiyan2_gohan.jpg .

Polnareff
07-20-2005, 05:36 PM
I can't stand the DBZ anime since they fleshed out the whole thing by making the fights extremely long, and filling them with power blast after power blast after punch/kick flurry. Plus, both dubs that I've seen (Eng. and JP.) annoy me to death, since the only voices that fit are Krillin's, Vegeta's, Chichi's, and Piccolo's. Goku just doesn't sound right in either of those two dubs for some reason.

I must say I like the original DB series the most, since it wasn't as repetitive and the characters weren't as shallow. It saddened me to see naive little Goku grow up into some dude who's boring as a box of rocks. What made it even more sad is that people in DBZ like Krillin were relegated to weaksauce status, as well as Master Roshi, Tien, and many others. That's saddening because they had the most personality out of all the DB characters.

IMO, the DBZ manga owns the anime in all respects since the fights are more to the point, and there's not any useless filler episodes (like the whole "Goku and Piccolo learn to drive" ep). Also, you don't have to listen to the dubs while reading :D

My favorite saga would be the Saiyan saga, since it's before all those cool characters turned weak.

DK
07-20-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Toriyama had intended to end the Series with Goku becoming the "Legendary Super Saiyan" and it would have finished after he beat Frieza. But because it was so popular in Japan, they pushed for more episodes and it all became more ludicrous. What always amused me was that Frieze was supposed to be the most powerful being in the universe, yet every single person Goku fought after that, he said "Wow, I've never fought against someone like you before. You're the strongest opponent i've ever had." This went on right up until the last Evil Dragon in GT, which ended up being so powerful it got beaten by a Spirit Bomb from a normal form Goku, which earlier only just about managed to destroy a bit of Frieza's tail. :} Oh well, at least Goku died for good at the end of that series.

Rye
07-20-2005, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Toriyama had intended to end the Series with Goku becoming the "Legendary Super Saiyan" and it would have finished after he beat Frieza. But because it was so popular in Japan, they pushed for more episodes and it all became more ludicrous. What always amused me was that Frieze was supposed to be the most powerful being in the universe, yet every single person Goku fought after that, he said "Wow, I've never fought against someone like you before. You're the strongest opponent i've ever had." This went on right up until the last Evil Dragon in GT, which ended up being so powerful it got beaten by a Spirit Bomb from a normal form Goku, which earlier only just about managed to destroy a bit of Frieza's tail. :} Oh well, at least Goku died for good at the end of that series.

He died? Finally! But next era is gonna be like "Omg look it's Goku with 20 halos on his head! He'll help kill super evil Mr. Popo!"

DK
07-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Super evil Mr. Popo xD I'd actually watch it just for that. But yeah, he died. Well, sort of. Like, That dragon that comes out the dragonballs turned up, and Goku got on his head and went to sleep and the Dragon flew off with him on top if it, and all the rest of the cast were saying Bye and stuff. Or at least, I remember it something like that.

crashNUMBERS
07-20-2005, 06:54 PM

Gohan is my fav. character in DBZhttp://prince-vegeta00.tripod.com/supersaiyan2_gohan.jpg .
Same here!! http://www.saiyanultimate.com/ssj2gohan.gif

edczxcvbnm
07-20-2005, 06:59 PM
I do like Dragonball Z. No where near the greatness that the original Dragonball was but still not bad. I admit that I like it despite all the flaws. Although I did not like the Freeza saga. Cell was awesome and the show probably would have been better if he had just made Gohan the main hero like he wanted. It was leading up to that the whole time.

KoShiatar
07-20-2005, 09:15 PM
I liked BDZ despite being well aware of all its faults. By the end of the series Toriyama was sick and tired of drawing it, and it showed.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-20-2005, 09:43 PM
I don't really like Toriyama's style to begin with, and although I enjoyed it immensely when I was little, even then I knew it was just because I liked watching them blow the crap out of stuff. The original Dragon Ball series was actually fairly decent, the plot was, at that point, not overdone and actually had a point. It's when you got to the later parts of DBZ that things just went straight to hell. The movies were a fun watch though, I still have a VHS with a bunch of the movies in their original Japanese form, no subtitling or dubbing at all. My cousins and I would just watch them, we didn't understand what they were saying but we didn't really have to.

crashNUMBERS
07-21-2005, 01:20 AM
Yeah his art can suck at times!! With the blocky hair looks like a profesional paint artist drew it with the line creater thingy. DB was by far the best!! Toriyama did better pics in CT. Way better. Thing is the only good DBZ crap thats reamaning and is actually good are the movies. Just like you said Voyd. I still rent those movies. It's like a side quest in an RPG. You wanna get through it 100% to sometimes collect bonuses to the storyline. And the movies are a great example. Im just pissed how goku defeated Brolly in the first Brolly movie...