PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the half blood prince (possible spoilers)

Destai
07-16-2005, 04:52 PM
So I just picked up a copy less than an hour ago. I havent finished the first chapter but Im already enjoying it. It starts with Tony Blair questioning his sanity as the prime minister of magic, Cornelius Fudge warns him about whats going on in the wizarding world and how wizards were responsible for a bridge collapsing and a freak hurricane that had caused damage a few days before hand. Its really good even if Im only on page 12. Anyone else got it yet?

themagicroundabout
07-16-2005, 04:55 PM
i got it today but i haven't started reading it yet

Old Manus
07-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the spoiler warning.

Rye
07-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Yeah, this book is really good so far. I'm up to page 194, the start of Chapter 10. What I really like is that Harry isn't emo in this book. He's a lot happier, and only got mad during understandable occasions, which is normal. So Harry is MUCH more likable in this book. :)

Destai
07-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Its only been released 17hours, Rye did you do an all nighter? :)

Rye
07-16-2005, 05:22 PM
No, but I did wake up at 6:30 in the morning to get it and I've been reading obsessively all morning. xD

Freya
07-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Ha your so cool..... i have to wait tell monday.....it's my birfday.

I was obessed with it while i was little ten i gave up on it then last monday i decided to read the 4th book again and found my love for hp again and now for my bday i get a cell pohne and harry potter 5 and 6. Don't expect to hear from me for a few days when i get them though.

Kakashi509
07-16-2005, 06:57 PM
I wanna know who the hell the HBP is *skips ahead a few pages* and I think the new defence against the dark arts teacher is bad ass

Destai
07-16-2005, 06:59 PM
I wanna know who the hell the HBP is *skips ahead a few pages* and I think the new defence against the dark arts teacher is bad assI'll miss Umbridge. I love a character that can rise an emotion from me. In her case it was hate and anger.

Kakashi509
07-16-2005, 07:07 PM
I wanna know who the hell the HBP is *skips ahead a few pages* and I think the new defence against the dark arts teacher is bad assI'll miss Umbridge. I love a character that can rise an emotion from me. In her case it was hate and anger.Oh so true you are destai,
chapter 30 summary Dumbledore is laid to rest in a white tomb overlooking the lake. Many attend the funeral, including the merpeople and centaurs. Harry breaks it off with Ginny, as he is worried for her safety. Harry seems convinced that he will not return to Hogwarts, even if it remains open, he now wishes to fulfil Dumbledore's wishes and destroy the remaining horcruxes and ultimately rid the world of Lord Voldemort.

Ryth
07-16-2005, 07:15 PM
My uncle got it for me today but I'm in Georgia and its in Maryland so I can't read it yet T__T

Kakashi509
07-16-2005, 07:33 PM
and the half blood prince is... Snape murders Dumbledore (Avada Kedavra) and flees with Malfoy. Harry pursues them (through a melée of Hogwarts students fighting Death Eaters). Meanwhile Hagrid has intercepted Snape, and because of his giant blood, is resisting the spells that Snape is aiming at him. Harry catches up with them and tries to kill Snape, using spells (e.g. Sectumsempra) that he found in the Half-Blood Prince's book. Snape then reveals that he created those spells himself - he is the Half Blood Prince!

Fate Fatale
07-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Was gonna pick it up todayt, but parent's didn't want to drive in the morning... Damn them.... Have to wait till tomorrow!

Rye
07-16-2005, 07:46 PM
HP sauce is soooo tasty
HP is gay

Harry Potter isn't gay, Ron is his friend, not his lover! :cry:

I think the HBP is kinda obvious, but maybe my choice was too obvious. I didn't skip ahead so I'll just have to wait. I'm nearly up to Chapter 15, so hopefully it'll be revealed soon.

This book is really great so far, I love seeing into Voldemort's past.

Kakashi509
07-16-2005, 07:48 PM
I finished the book, i'm just sad that snape got to be the DADA teacher, the person who was suppose to be (horace, though I say he is anyways) is wicked damn snape being gay with malfoy

Destai
07-16-2005, 07:50 PM
HP sauce is soooo tasty
HP is gay

Harry Potter isn't gay, Ron is his friend, not his lover! :cry:

I think the HBP is kinda obvious, but maybe my choice was too obvious. I didn't skip ahead so I'll just have to wait. I'm nearly up to Chapter 15, so hopefully it'll be revealed soon.

This book is really great so far, I love seeing into Voldemort's past. That reminds me of the HP sock puppets,
Harry: "I love hogwarts!"
Hermione: "I love learning!",
Ron: "And I love you Harry!",
Harry: "Not now Ron..."

Okay maybe Im mixing parts up with the lord of the rings sketch by legendary frog but still xD

Rye
07-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Harry says "Um..."

xD I love Potter Puppet Pals too, good flash series.

Dreddz
07-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Wait just a fudging foogle doddley dee moment,
J.K Rowling is British right, why would she write a book and send it over to the states first, The bloody book hasnt released over here in UK ( well London )
How dare that betraying b**ch send it to the states before her own country !

Destai
07-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Wait just a fudging foogle doddley dee moment,
J.K Rowling is British right, why would she write a book and send it over to the states first, The bloody book hasnt released over here in UK ( well London )
How dare that betraying b**ch send it to the states before her own country !What are you talking about? As far as I know they were released the same day and if they werent the largest difference would be within at the very most a week.

Endless
07-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Rowling started reading the book at the Edimburgh castle one minute before midnight. It wa launched (the English print) at the same time worldwide, at midnight. At worst, the difference was a few <i>hours</i>.

Dreddz
07-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Oh, its just come out sorri folks
*feels stupid*

Phil
07-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Should I go buy it? I read the first three, half of 4 and none of 5. But this one actually sounds GOOD. I mean like- what'd I miss in 4 and 5? Would I need to read 4 and 5 to understand HBP? I used to love Harry Potter but kinda fell away from the series after I started going to a Christian School where the book wasnt allowed in the library....

Kakashi509
07-16-2005, 11:54 PM
damn christens and their satanic purposes

Destai
07-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Should I go buy it? I read the first three, half of 4 and none of 5. But this one actually sounds GOOD. I mean like- what'd I miss in 4 and 5? Would I need to read 4 and 5 to understand HBP? I used to love Harry Potter but kinda fell away from the series after I started going to a Christian School where the book wasnt allowed in the library....Funny, the old pope supported the book. And Ive lost a bit of respect for benedict for his opinions on a childrens book.

Miriel
07-17-2005, 12:59 AM
:( :( :(

fire_of_avalon
07-17-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm going to stick a (possible spoilers) in the title, for good measure so people don't complain.

I don't have the book yet. :/

kikimm
07-17-2005, 02:18 AM
I really, really want this book, but I totally don't feel like blowing 20-25 bucks on a hardcover right now. Even though I know I will sooner or later. Hmph.

Nice to see good reviews though. :monster:

:D

Destai
07-17-2005, 02:21 AM
I really, really want this book, but I totally don't feel like blowing 20-25 bucks on a hardcover right now. Even though I know I will sooner or later. Hmph.

Nice to see good reviews though. :monster:

:DMine was 12 euro which is less in pound and not much more in dollar.

MoonZapdos
07-17-2005, 02:22 AM
Unfortunatelly, HBP hasn't been released on Portugal yet. :(

kikimm
07-17-2005, 02:24 AM
Mine was 12 euro which is less in pound and not much more in dollar.

Yeah, over where I am I know it's at least 17 dollars. >=O You're lucky.

:D

Pure Strife
07-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Finished it this morning. She has set up for one HELL of a finale.

Rye
07-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Finished it this morning. She has set up for one HELL of a finale.

Same here, and yeah, I agree. That was an awesome book, but I feel so sad now about what happened... though, it was bound to happen.

Old Manus
07-17-2005, 06:01 PM
OMG HARY POTER NERDZ REEDIN ALL NITE ND ALL DAI COS TEHY AVE NO LIEF OMG LOLLLZ UR STWPID HARY POTER IZ TEH GAE

Chapter 6.

Shoden
07-17-2005, 06:25 PM
I walked into the shop and got one i'm up to chapter 2

Kirobaito
07-17-2005, 06:55 PM
I finished it Saturday morning sometime (pulled an all-nighter).

Open Spoilers, obviously.

I've really, really lost a lot of respect for Dumbledore. I mean, he's not perfect (obviously), but throughout the first 5 books, you were expecting that there was some story about Snape that we didn't know about that would make Dumbledore trust him. But there wasn't. Dumbledore never HAD a reason to trust him. Ever. I'm sorry that he's dead, even though I knew it had to happen, but what an idiot.

I figured out who the Half-Blood Prince before they revealed it, but I was confused for most of the book. I always assumed that Snape was a pure-blood, what with being in Slytherin and all. But I suppose if Tom Riddle could be in Slytherin....

R.A.B. is obviously Regulus A. Black. I hope that everybody realized that.

The last book is going to be MASSIVE. Harry claims that he's not going back to school, but they still have to destroy 4 Horcruxes (that is, if Regulus didn't already dispose of the locket), and then have the final showdown.

Rye
07-17-2005, 06:58 PM
KB is a super Harry fan, I didn't even know R.A.B = a Black. xD

I was a little peeved at Dumbledore about that, but all people make mistakes. :/

I can't wait for the next book, it's gonna be great. And big, hopefully. 800+ pages would be nice.

Pure Strife
07-17-2005, 07:03 PM
I've really, really lost a lot of respect for Dumbledore. I mean, he's not perfect (obviously), but throughout the first 5 books, you were expecting that there was some story about Snape that we didn't know about that would make Dumbledore trust him. But there wasn't. Dumbledore never HAD a reason to trust him. Ever. I'm sorry that he's dead, even though I knew it had to happen, but what an idiot.

Read the part where Dumbledore dies again, very carefully. I could quite easily be totally wrong, but I think there was a bit more going on there then was let on. I half think Dumbledore expected what happened to happen, or even planned it. Conspiracy theories ahoy.

I figured out who the Half-Blood Prince before they revealed it, but I was confused for most of the book. I always assumed that Snape was a pure-blood, what with being in Slytherin and all. But I suppose if Tom Riddle could be in Slytherin....

Riddle was a descendant of Slytherin though, so that's probably why he was let in. As for Snape, it's always been said all the pure blood families are inter-related, so he could be a very distant descendant of Slytherin too. And neither of them were particularly friendly, which seems to be a Slytherin trait.

It's always a bad sign when you read a children's book then go on the internet and post obscure ideas about the plot.

Kirobaito
07-17-2005, 07:03 PM
KB is a super Harry fan, I didn't even know R.A.B = a Black. xD

I was a little peeved at Dumbledore about that, but all people make mistakes. :/

I can't wait for the next book, it's gonna be great. And big, hopefully. 800+ pages would be nice.

They mentioned Regulus in OotP during the scene at Grimmauld Place with the family tree. Regulus was Sirius's brother, and was a Death Eater before backing out and getting killed....or did he? That theory goes along with the whole Regulus Black = Stubby Boardman thing, based off of the Quibbler article where they claimed that Sirius = Stubby.

Read the part where Dumbledore dies again, very carefully. I could quite easily be totally wrong, but I think there was a bit more going on there then was let on. I half think Dumbledore expected what happened to happen, or even planned it. Conspiracy theories ahoy.
Actually, one of the first thing that I noticed while reading that scene was this:

But somebody else had spoken Snape's name, quite softly.

"Severus . . ."

The sound frightened Harry beyond anything he had experienced all evening. For the first time, Dumbledore was pleading.
That passage alone does lead the reader to lead that Dumbledore had his suspicions all along, and they were confirmed as soon as Snape arrived. But I don't really see what you're getting on as to if Dumbledore expected that.

I'm not sure if it's brilliance or stupidity that JKR put Chapter 2 in. I assumed that she wouldn't be so stupid as to reveal Snape's true allegiance in the secound chapter, so I assumed that this was just to throw us off.

Kakashi509
07-17-2005, 07:16 PM
I am a jerk I liked when dumbledore died i hope Harry goes back to school so mcgonagall and flitwick can die in book 7 also. I'm glas lupin was in it and didn't die i told those mothersmurfers that he wouldn't die and dumbledore would

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-17-2005, 07:40 PM
I read the book last nigh, pulled an all nighter. if my mom finds out im gonna be grounded, she told me I had to finish it today. It was a little to short for me, it left me wanting to know more,

I agree about Dumbledore's knowing with Snape. I think that maybe he did set it all up. I mean, he knew about Malfoy's plans all along, and yet he let them continue. I think maybe he lat Snape stay so he could... damn lost my train of though. I had the whole theory worked out last night.

Regulus A. Black, of course. But why would he want the horcrux? Maybe he not dead after all. No that couldnt be because then Kreacher wouldnt have obeyed him, but then again, everything of Siruis's was left to Harry. hmmmmm

Shoden
07-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Lupin is just great

Kirobaito
07-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Actually, reading it a few more times, I'm starting to see what you mean.

Dumbledore stated, "Severus . . .please . . ."

We all assume this to be Dumbledore pleading for his life, which is how Harry's limited, biased narration perceives it. What if it means, "Severus . .. please <i>kill me</i>"?

Dumbledore realized that Malfoy did not mean to commit murder. He was not going to. Dumbledore did not want the Death Eaters to force him to, and place that on his conscience. Here are the points I mean to make:

1) Snape had an Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa Malfoy to to the following:

- Watch over Draco, as he attempts to fulfill the Dark Lord's wishes.
- Protect him from harm
- <b>Carry out the deed that the Dark Lord ordered Draco to perform</b>

I have begun to believe that Dumbledore told Snape to do anything to convince the Death Eaters of his allegiance, which includes making The Unbreakable Vow. The latter two points of the Vow is what makes me believe that Snape <i>had no choice</i> - Malfoy had failed in his task by putting his wand down, and was now in harm's way (the wrath of Voldemort to those who fail him). Because of this Vow, that Dumbledore may have told him to make, he had to kill him. And I'd like to think that Dumbledore would prefer to be killed by Snape, and not by a 17-year-old boy, or another random Death Eater, or an insane werewolf.

Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face.
Snape had hatred for himself, and what he knew that he was forced to do. Not for Dumbledore, who he trusted beyond all others. He hated himself, and what he had become, and the task that he was committed to do.

2) The scene in the Cave allows the readers to realize something. Harry cannot defeat Voldemort without Dumbledore. He would have continued to treat Dumbledore as a crutch. Well, the Prophecy stated that Harry must be the one to kill Voldemort. He could no longer do it with Dumbledore's help. Dumbledore realized that, in order for Harry to become the Chosen One that he is, he had to die.

More to come later, if I think of it.

Psychotic
07-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Got it this afternoon, finished it this evening. I rock. :cool:
I've really, really lost a lot of respect for Dumbledore. I mean, he's not perfect (obviously), but throughout the first 5 books, you were expecting that there was some story about Snape that we didn't know about that would make Dumbledore trust him. But there wasn't. Dumbledore never HAD a reason to trust him. Ever. I'm sorry that he's dead, even though I knew it had to happen, but what an idiot.The theme of "Dumbledore always sees the best in people" has been repeated throughout the books, especially HBP. To be honest, I thought Snape was on the side of good too, until Draco revealed his mission. And maybe he still is, for all we know.

Anyway, in relation to the issues discussed above, upon Dumbledore destroying Morfin's ring, he said that he would have surely died were it not for the aid of Snape. I think that says it all: Snape could have killed him them when he had the chance. He was weak and at his mercy, and he could easily have finished him then, although whether or not he made the Unbreakable Vow before or after this incident is unclear.

rubah
07-17-2005, 08:48 PM
HBP mentions over and over that Dumbledore is getting old and has always been infallable.

"But when I do make a mistake, they are obviously on a larger magnitude"

or wahtever it is that he tells harry.

I don't think Dumbledore thought that Snape would kill him.

JKR throws in snape's explanation of his duty at Hogwarts to make people want to side with Bellatrix. She makes you WANT to believe that Snape is lying through his teeth to her. When she first mentioed horcruxes and what they might be for, I was thinkign 'maybe snape could hide his soul in one, allowing it to seem purely evil when talking with Voldemort" and I still wish that could've been how it was, but it was not.

She did that very well though. I was expecting us to have a break from a major death, and we didn't. DarnxD I guess hagrid gets to die in the next one:D

Kirobaito
07-17-2005, 08:51 PM
I still like my explanation, though.

Hawkeye
07-17-2005, 09:21 PM
I am too afraid to read all of your posts so I wont :)

Right now, I am around page 200, first meeting with Dumbeldore (private lessons) and things have been arousing like crazy. Cant wait till I finish it I suppose, to see who hit Professor Klump with a candle stick :D

Black Mage FF1
07-17-2005, 09:27 PM
I will probably be picking this up later today. My store is selling it for only 17 bucks. Even though some worthless POS spoiled it for me on the gamefaqs message board (he posted the death spoiler in the topic title on the FRIGGEN RESIDENT EVIL BOARD). Its pretty sad when you cant even visit a RE board w/o having something like this spoiled. And not just that. Someone here also has it in their sig. Even though it is hidden by the "spoiler tags", I still saw it by accident while trying to scroll down the page. Tis a very sad group of people.

Heath
07-17-2005, 09:31 PM

Not nessecarily. The signs point that way, but let's remember: Regulus was described as a coward. He left the Death Eaters and was elmimated because of it. It's for that reason I'm skeptical. I don't believe anyone, other than Slughorn, Dumbledore and Harry had any idea that Riddle planned on creating/created Horcruxes, and it would seem a little out of the way for Regulus to go hunting for something that would appear to have been a worthless item.

I personally think it IS Regulus, and the thought popped into my head almost instantly, but I just thought I'd provide some counter-argument.

DeBlayde
07-17-2005, 09:41 PM
boy what a book.

It never ceases to amaze me the depth and breadth of Rowling's understanding of the teenage male psyche. Order of the Phoenix was jam packed with the whole adolescent "NObody understands me, I'm too unusual and unique and nobody understands me, I want to die, my life is hell, there's nobody who's had it as bad as me," thing.

And now this book focuses around Dumbledore's belief in love. The whole book revolves around it, well, adolescent relationships at least, but it seems like everybody's getting together. If love is truly as powerful as Dumbledore's always saying it is, or if Love truly is the fueling of BM's hadoken on 8-bit theatre, then Voldemort will be vanquished in no time.

But it's funny how Rowling portrays the teenage mind. Right around 16, we suddenly cannot focus on anything other than the opposite gender around us. Harry paid almost no attention in his classes, and way too much attention to girls. kinda funny, really.

Ouch!
07-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Got it in the mail the around 1:00 PM yesterday and finished it just after midnight--not straight reading mind you, many interuptions with a dinner party, but I'm still proud for finishing it in only a couple hours reading time.

I've been thinking along the same lines as KB as far as Snape's actions go. I can't seem to think that Snape really is a bad guy. Fact is, after making the Unbreakable Vow (which he had to make to prove his allegience) he had no choice but to kill Dumbledore. It just doesn't seem to add up. I just get the eerie feeling that Dumbledore wanted Snape to kill him. I'm not going to bother reinterating KB's points, but I agree with all of them.

As far as Regulus Black, that never even popped into my head, but at the same time I don't think he would have been so clearly pointed out without a reason.

Miriel
07-17-2005, 09:46 PM
I don't think that Dumbledore's death came as a surprise to Dumbledore himself. He trusted Snape and there has to be reason for that. More of a reason than simply because Dumbledore likes to see the best in people. There has to be more to the story. Dumbledore knew that Snape had taken an unbreakable vow, he knew that something was up, he has to have known of the possibility that Snape was two-timing the Order. I don't care if he was getting old, or if he was losing his touch, Dumbledore wasn't an idiot. I refuse to believe that Dumbledore could've been blindsighted by this.

And my theory on the whole thing is pretty much in line with KB's theory that Dumbledore wasn't pleading for his life with Snape. There was something more going on there.

I was surprised when Harry said that he wouldn't be coming back to Hogwarts, but thinking about it, it makes so much sense.

Also, did anyone try and count the number of deaths in the book? I mean, sheesh. The book was pretty depressing all around. Cried my eyes out at the end.

Oh and even if Snape turns out to be one of the good guys, I'll still hate him forever for killing Dumbledore. People have mentioned that he had no choice after taking the vow, well OF COURSE he had a choice. He could've chosen to die himself rather than to kill Dumble-freakin-dore.

Edit: Harry and Ginny. Say it with me: awwwwww!

DeBlayde
07-17-2005, 10:03 PM
snape must die. for a very very long time.

and then be brought back only to be killed again. They need to go find Fawkes and take some of his down so that they can revive snape over and over again.

Kirobaito
07-17-2005, 10:19 PM

I don't believe anyone, other than Slughorn, Dumbledore and Harry had any idea that Riddle planned on creating/created Horcruxes, and it would seem a little out of the way for Regulus to go hunting for something that would appear to have been a worthless item.
What do you mean? Here's a copy of the parchment:

To the Dark Lord
I know I will be dead long before you read this
but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret.
I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.
I face death in the hope that when you meet your match,
you will be mortal once more.
R.A.B.

Whoever replaced the Horcrux already DID know of their worth. Sirius wouldn't have been aware of Regulus's actions when he called him a coward. He was only aware that Regulus "backed out" and was killed. He appeared to have very limited knowledge of Regulus's fate - it's entirely possible that Regulus destroyed it, then appeared to flee the Death Eaters and was then killed. That would make him look like a coward, even though it was a noble deed.

Additionally,

…also a heavy locket that none of them could open
That was taken from when Harry was cleaning in the chapter <i>The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black</i>. Interpret it how you want.

Wiegrahf42
07-18-2005, 01:12 AM
I came across an interesting theory, though I doubt J.K. would actual use a plot device like this. Dumbledore has killed dark Wizards and is very powerful, so is it possible that he himself could have a Horcruxe? As I said, J.K. will most likely leave Dumbledore (and Sirius for that matter) dead to give their deaths more meaning and it's doubtful Dumbledore would be involved in Dark magic. I second the theory about Snape being bound by his vow.
On a lighter note I greatly appreciated Harry gaining some maturity and not continuing the Hayden Christian crap.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-18-2005, 01:23 AM
KB makes a real interesting point. If Snape really sincerely did feel guilty about killing the Potters, maybe that is why he did not take his old Potions book away from Harry, for as they said it was evident that Snape knew he had it.

I still think Snape is on Voldy's side, yet I find redeeming qualities in him (more in his relationship towards Malfoy and at times when he actually seems to have a heart). I know chapter two maybe seemed too obvious but maybe it was to seem to obvious so that people would discreditted as so (or maybe I am thinking too much).

DaggerFlux
07-18-2005, 11:36 AM
I finished the book yesturday. And i was actually quite shocked about the ending. I still actually thought that Snape was on the good side, despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise.

Although i think there must be more to Snape killing Dumbledore then JK is letting on, I don't know what, but Dumbledore always had this weird reason for trusting Snape, so that must be revealed in the seventh book, I hope so anyway.

fire_of_avalon
07-18-2005, 12:14 PM
I have never cried so hard over a book in my entire life, INCLUDING OotP.

Also, KB = high fives for thinking like me. Truth is, we're not gonna know whether or not Snape is a good guy or a bad guy until, probably, the final showdown. Just because he fed that line of bull to Narcissa and Bellatrix means exactly poopy in the long run, because we all know Snape is a master of hiding his true intentions. Personally, I think the twist KB described is just the sort of thing Rowling is acclaimed for, and the hopeful part of me desperatly wants to see at least one person out of the entire series find redemption.

Of course the vengeful part of me wants massive destruction.

AND WTF HARRY IS GONNA BE OK WITH RON AND HERMIONE FOLLOWING HIM AROUND BUT NOT GINNY.

Stupid.

Marble
07-18-2005, 01:50 PM
But it's funny how Rowling portrays the teenage mind. Right around 16, we suddenly cannot focus on anything other than the opposite gender around us. Harry paid almost no attention in his classes, and way too much attention to girls. kinda funny, really.

Pfft, speak for yourself, DeBlayde. ;)

Personally, I thought almost all the love-related scenes in the book were, as in OotP, a bit awkward, except for those with Harry and Ginny (which actually came off as quite pretty writing). The Tonks and Lupin pairing just breached my ridiculousity border, although I trust Rowling to make something good of it in the next book. Tonks and Lupin both got way too little development/pagetime in this book... it came off quite halfhearted. I was actually expecting Tonks to be under something along the lines of an Imperius curse, the way she was behaving.

But I'm sounding grumpy - hey, the book in general was fantastic, like all the others. I especially liked how it went back in time and strung together so much from the earliest books, not least Chamber of Secrets, which had always seemed to me to have the least relevance to the rest of the series. Lucius Malfoy even managed to get quite some motive development despite being locked up during the entire story...

Kirobaito is posting some brilliant deductive arguments here, and I'm prepared to support quite a few of them. Dumbledore realising that Snape had to kill him would be a great twist; in fact I'm almost expecting something like it to be revealed in the finale, considering how silly the whole deal of Snape completely passing Dumbledore by would appear.

Finally, am I the only one who's tired of the Harry Potter novels being referred to as children's reading? With all the stuff going on in the latest books - in my opinion, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rowling has planned for it somewhat that way, each book is suitable for readers approximately Harry's present age. I certainly wouldn't let my ten-year-old child read Half-Blood Prince, while Philosopher's Stone I would... yeah well. Fun thread, this is.

MoonZapdos
07-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Why is there such a fuss because of this book? -_-

Rye
07-18-2005, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=DeBlayde]
Finally, am I the only one who's tired of the Harry Potter novels being referred to as children's reading? With all the stuff going on in the latest books - in my opinion, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rowling has planned for it somewhat that way, each book is suitable for readers approximately Harry's present age. I certainly wouldn't let my ten-year-old child read Half-Blood Prince, while Philosopher's Stone I would... yeah well. Fun thread, this is.

Yeah. Though if I had a 10 year old, I would let them, if they could read through 600 pages. It makes me happy that so many kids are happy to read instead of being like "lolz readin iz gay i burn libraries!"

Zeldy
07-18-2005, 04:43 PM
I got it today, my friend lent it to me. She read it in one day!? =O
Im only up to page 11 so far =3
But! she couldnt hold it in and told me clues as of what happened the silly moo

Pure Strife
07-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Why is there such a fuss because of this book? -_-

Because it rocks arse.

Actually, reading it a few more times, I'm starting to see what you mean.

Dumbledore stated, "Severus . . .please . . ."

We all assume this to be Dumbledore pleading for his life, which is how Harry's limited, biased narration perceives it. What if it means, "Severus . .. please kill me"?

That's exactly what I thought. Your other points hadn't really occured to me, but I also got the feeling Dumbledore was pleading with Snape to kill him. I thought it might have something to do with the potion/poison he drank, it may have had no cure or something like that and Snape knew what he was up to. It struck me as odd he was so adamant he see Snape and not Pomfrey. This could be explained by Snape having a better knowlege of potions, but I'm not so sure.

I am really looking forward to seeing how this is all explained in the next book. And I want to know exactly what happened to Dumbledore's hand...

Psychotic
07-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Wasn't his hand damaged in destroying a horcrux?

I hope one horcrux is a ring that can only be destroyed by being thrown into a volcano. :)

StarlightAngel
07-18-2005, 07:43 PM
I liked the book. I was really proud when I managed to finish it by the next day ^^

Many of those theories never struck me. But then, I didn't think much about the parts. I'm waiting for the rest of the family to finish before I actually try coming up with anything. All the theories here seem pretty good though, and make plenty of sense.

Kirobaito
07-18-2005, 10:31 PM
That's exactly what I thought. Your other points hadn't really occured to me, but I also got the feeling Dumbledore was pleading with Snape to kill him. I thought it might have something to do with the potion/poison he drank, it may have had no cure or something like that and Snape knew what he was up to. It struck me as odd he was so adamant he see Snape and not Pomfrey. This could be explained by Snape having a better knowlege of potions, but I'm not so sure.
Well, that really goes along with your point of Dumbledore and Snape planning the entire thing. I think that Dumbledore realized that he was going to soon die, and he might as well affirm Snape's loyalty to Voldemort in the process.

I mean, both Snape and Dumbledore understood that, as soon as Snape made the Unbreakable Vow, one of them was going to be dead by the end of the year. Dumbledore made the decision that it was best for the world if he were the one to go, not Snape. Snape had too important of a role, of course, now he's pretty much a lone wolf. I wouldn't be surprised to see him assist Harry in the location of the Horcruxes, anonymously.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-18-2005, 11:04 PM
I finally finished it. I'm slowing down, it took me 7-8 hours of reading, plus having to sleep in the middle of that stretched it out even further.

Anyways, I am in agreement with KB. Harry could not proceed and realize his destiny with Dumbledore as his constant crutch, and Dumbledore would have KNOWN that. That, plus the unbreakable vow which Dumbledore probably also knew about, put him in an interesting situation. Remember Dumbledore's believing in love? Lily sacrificed her life so that Harry could live, and now, Dumbledore sacrificed his life so that Harry could achieve what it is he had to do, to fulfill his "destiny", so to speak.

Really, if I had to guess I'd say that Rowlings pairing up Nymphadora and Lupin is a final jab against the Sirius/Lupin yaoi writers that began when she offed Sirius :D

And I rather liked Harry and Ginny together, I imagine they will get back together at the end of the final book if they both survive. I have a feeling Ginny will wait for him.

fire_of_avalon
07-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Are you suggesting that Snape would have an active knowledge of where they were located? Because I don't think Voldemort would trust ANYone that much.

Kirobaito
07-18-2005, 11:16 PM
RAB managed to find out, didn't he?

Sin Magnum
07-18-2005, 11:24 PM
so its out...........i watched em delivering the books to stores on the news. its crazy they were guarding the books with their lives.

PhoenixAsh
07-18-2005, 11:28 PM
I don't think at any point in the book did I suspect Snape for more than a minute. Don't get me wrong, I was surprised by a lot of things, but EVERYTHING was pointing at him being evil apart from Dumbledore. The only point where I actually wavered on this was when he was still acting like the same towards Harry after the last Death Eater had left, why does noone at all seem to be in on anything? It seems very chapter 2ish to me now, as if JK is making people assume there'll be a twist and Snape will be good, just to make him bad. It does leave Dumbledore looking WAY too fooled for that mind.

The other reason I had faith in Snape was because it seemed odd to have all the people who seem bad on the surface actually BE bad deep down, not sure its a great message to send out to kids. Though now of course Malfoy may take up that role. VERY interested in that, I genuinely wanted him to turn to the Order's side on the tower, that woman can write!

Harry breaking up with Ginny actually bothered me all the way through the end as soon as he hinted at it. Dumbledore I'd suspected of returning, or having a reason, or there being some happy twist in book seven. But Harry losing his first normal comfort, and happiness since what the end of book two? I really hope they get back together.

Is anyone else a little suspiscious of the whole 'Kill Voldermort' thing? Its been stated so blatently for a while that this is the aim, but Harry didn't even use Sectumsempra against the Death Eaters, and Dumbledore has stated clearly that he doesn't HAVE to kill him. It just seems a little... Dark for it to be how Harry wins the day.

Kirobaito... HOLY CRAP. Did you memorise OotP or something? Thats some damned impressive memory work.

Marble
07-19-2005, 12:11 AM
I as well have been kind of bothered by how determined Harry has become to kill Voldemort... and how keen Dumbledore seemed to be on it, too. I never thought Dumbledore would appreciate anyone dying - remember, he did spare Voldemort in the Atrium battle, although that might as well have been because he still had his Horcruxes and destroying his body would simply allow him to come back again, like twice before. Actually, in an interview before the book was released Rowling told the fans that they should be pondering this fact - that Dumbledore didn't kill Voldemort - if they wanted proper grounds to speculate in the plot of book six, and I think she was alluding to the Horcruxes.

Nevertheless, Dumbledore has always seemed quite averse to killing, and brash though Harry may be he's never appeared posed to actually kill anyone... remember how he panicked when he saw what the Sectumsempra spell did to Malfoy? And there's the matter of how everyone, even (or especially) Slughorn, seems to be treating murder as the ultimate crime, the most dark deed... yeah, I definitely wonder how Rowling is planning to pull this off.

Kirobaito
07-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Kirobaito... HOLY CRAP. Did you memorise OotP or something? Thats some damned impressive memory work.
I re-read it before the release of HBP, and after I saw "RAB" at the end of HBP, I immediately went back to "The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black" to re-read the items that Harry found, hoping that the locket would be amongst them. Sure enough, it was.

PhoenixAsh
07-19-2005, 12:48 AM
VERY impressive.

So thats one down, plus Nagini, which shouldn't be too hard to at least find. I've read a theory about the fourth Horcrux saying that (not really a spoiler as its a theory but...) Harry is the final Horcrux, belonging to Gryffindor (as an Heir), and made after the death of Lily. Also this adds to the prophesy Not sure I believe that idea, but it is quite plausable that the unidentified Horcrux could be this significant. This leaves Hufflepuff's cup as being possibly the hardest to destroy. Espescially if its guarded like the locket. Unless RAB got there first. Although I would expect it to be the first one to be destroyed.

Any thoughts on how Neville is going to fit into all of this? He wasn't in this book much, but I would be surprised if he isn't a major factor in the seventh book. Man I can't imagine this series ending, there are so many characters that are going to end with it...

Harry at the end I thought was phenomenal by the way. He really did become the hero in this book. What Dumbledore told him about his reaction to the Mirror of Erised was particularly good I thought. As was managing to break up with Ginny after all that had happened, and deciding not to return to Hogwarts. Harry has lost every parent figure he's ever had apart from Mr and Mrs Weasley, and he came out fighting.

Okay so I just finished the book like an hour ago, I keep wanting to talk about stuff.

Has anyone noted all the hints about Harry's feelings for Ginny prior to the kiss with Dean? I spotted a couple early on, but then another one was pointed out about Harry smelling something flowery from the Burrow in Slughorns love potion :D , so I'm guessing I missed more. I thought that was done very well.

Clouded Sky
07-19-2005, 02:00 AM
Great book. between 5.5-6 hours of reading. i was totally blown away and now I find myself even more blown away with KB. Have I ever told you I totally love you KB?

This just reaffirmed my feelings for wishing parts of HP were real. I just wish Lavender Brown would knock on my front door. LB: "Hi." ME: "I heard you and Ron broke up. I was thinking maybe this would make you feel better." *snogs*

Ahhh, we'd be inseperable.

Miriel
07-19-2005, 02:25 AM
The whole Ginny/Harry split up at the end reminded me too much of Spiderman and Mary Jane. Those two will end up together, I know they will. And they'll get married and Harry will become a part of the Weasley family and EVERYTHING WILL BE PERFECT.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-19-2005, 02:33 AM
The whole Ginny/Harry split up at the end reminded me too much of Spiderman and Mary Jane. Those two will end up together, I know they will. And they'll get married and Harry will become a part of the Weasley family and EVERYTHING WILL BE PERFECT.

Assuming both Harry and Ginny live long enough to get married, then I would wish for that, but I have a feeling if Harry survives he will never find true happiness.

Miriel
07-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Everything will be perfect. :mad2:

Madame Adequate
07-19-2005, 02:42 AM
Good book, good book. I have to confess, I'm rather saddened that Harry broke up with Ginny, but that's just because I love Ginny and would love for her to be as major a character in book 7 (In terms of page time as much as importance.) as Ron and Hermione.

Interesting theories from KB; I'm reserving judgement on Snape for now, but I wouldn't put it past Rowling to double-bluff us and have him turn out to be genuinely evil. As has been said though, Dumbledore might have been getting on some but even with Snape's prowess in Occlumency and Legilimency I just can't buy the idea that Albus was fooled.

I was saddened to see Hagrid becoming less central of a character, and I find it a bit hard to believe that in all that time, and despite the increased security, there was no way to arrange occasional meetings, so it does feel a little forced. Incidentally I'm betting he buys the farm in the last book. I think he's actually top of my list for good guys dieing, but then he was before HBP came out and I was wrong about that.

Does anyone else thing Fred and George will have a central role to play in the last one, too? I mean, it's always been plain to me that despite their general lack of concern over academics and order, they are both actually extremely talented and intelligent. I suspect those two might pull some fairly important tricks out of their hats.

Wiegrahf42
07-19-2005, 02:49 AM
This book introduced me to the verb "snogging"

Miriel
07-19-2005, 02:55 AM
Can you imagine if one of the twins died? That would kill me. I really do hope that they're around more in the 7th book, they're probably my favorite characters in the whole series.

Ouch!
07-19-2005, 04:47 AM
I don't think Harry is going to have to resort to actually killing Voldemort to defeat him. I believe it was at the end of the third book that Dumbledore told Harry that one day he would be happy that he spared Wormtail's life. He said there's a powerful magic bond formed when one wizard spares another's life and I think this bond is going to play a key role in Voldemort's defeat.

fire_of_avalon
07-19-2005, 06:04 AM
RAB managed to find out, didn't he?

Right, but so did Dumbledore, and Voldemort certainly never told him.

I could be very wrong here, but I don't see anyone at all knowing where the other Horcruxes are, or even what they are. Another thing you have to remember about the making of the Horcruxes is that Voldy even committed the necessary murders entirely alone without so much as a lookout. Honestly, outside of RAB (and now Harry, Slughorn and the Order), I doubt many people at all even know Voldemort has even one Horcrux.

However, we also know that Voldemort, though very intelligent, is also very self centered, so it's always possible many have already guessed and even have ideas concerning what the final Horcrux is. And while it's an interesting theory to venture Harry as the final, I don't think it's true for two reasons. In GoF, it was said that Harry and Voldemort were bound together; and we found this to be true in OotP because of Voldemort's interpretation of the prophecy. One cannot live while the other survives. So, it'll come down to a showdown in the end, I think.

Also, I've decided for now that Snape is still a good guy. Well, as good as that creep can get *mutters and so on*

Pure Strife
07-19-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't think Harry can be the final Horcrux. Voldemort would have had to put his soul into Harry before he tried to kill him, and what would be the point of making Harry a horcrux if he was going to kill him anyway? Wouldn't he be destroying a part of his soul too?

I'm not sure if I can see Harry pulling off Avada Kedavra, I think Voldemort's death (assuming he's not going to win) will be far more theatrical.

Spiffing Cheese
07-19-2005, 03:33 PM
I did thoroughly enjoy reading HBP, but to be honest, I was a little bit disappointed - but not a lot!

Firstly, there isn't really a lot of a story... but it is written incredibly well. And JK Rowling needed to get a lot of things out of the way in order to get the last book exactly right.

The Harry and Ginny thing was obvious, it was obvious Snape was going to turn out evil (although I didn't guess he was the HBP), and it was obvious Dumbledore was going to be the one who died. I wish he didn't though, Dumbledore was awesome and one of my favourite characters. I'm also glad that Snape is now no longer going to be in the story as a good guy, I really do dislike him.

Other than those points, I thought the rest of it was fantastic. I wasn't sure about it when I first finished it, but now I think it is brilliant.

I think that JK Rowling has been incredibly clever in the way she wrote the books; the seventh book, I think, is going to be superb. And I hope Luna plays a big part in it, she is awesome!

Momiji
07-19-2005, 03:41 PM
15 Dollars here.

I haven't bought it yet, but I'm going to the library tonight to see if I can get one reserved. I feel that this one is gonna be good, along with the ending. I think the whole HP series is good, although at first it was a little iffy... I disliked the first book.... I found it boring. But from the 3rd one on, the series just is awesome.

The best part, I think, is that people actually READ. Before HP, no one I knew read a book this big. I can remember people saying that they would never waste their own time to read 200-700 pages. They thought it is too 'hard'. Now these books sell like hotcakes, and everyone, even the people I suspected as 'the type who doesn't like/can't read' read this now. It's great.

Oh, and have you noticed, it is just TOO HARD to skip spoilers these days. You see it and think, " I won't read it...I won't... I....Aw, what the hell." I can't help it these days!

Heath
07-19-2005, 06:41 PM
KB: I said I thought it was Regulus Black as well, I was just providing some evidence about why it might not be. It would make sense, I just thought it might be a good idea to count the evidence against.

I don't think Harry can be the final Horcrux. Voldemort would have had to put his soul into Harry before he tried to kill him, and what would be the point of making Harry a horcrux if he was going to kill him anyway? Wouldn't he be destroying a part of his soul too?

I'm not sure if I can see Harry pulling off Avada Kedavra, I think Voldemort's death (assuming he's not going to win) will be far more theatrical.

I think that if Harry was the final Horcrux, it would have been completely accidental, like how Harry became a Parseltounge. I wouldn't be wholly surprised if Harry turned out to be the final Horcrux, though I'm not sure if I want to fully support that theory right now. I might re-read a few bits of HBP and the other books before deciding.

Agreed on the last point too. I think a simple Avada Kedavra might be a little too simple, and the actual event will be "far more theatrical" like you said.

Destai
07-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Well Harry may not be an emo in this book but Ron and Hermione certainly are. I hope they die of aids sometime before I finish reading. And I hate how Rowling decided Harry was falling for Ginny for no p-articular reason. Its a great book until they start talking about tehre emotions and you realive what ass wipe teenagers they are. Well most of them.

Pure Strife
07-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Alright, so Regulus took the amulet horcrux, and dumbledore had the ring one (on his good hand, at the start of the book) which meant that at the start of the book none of the horcruxes had been destroyed. So what the hell happened to his hand? Any theories?

Masamune·1600
07-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Sorry to get into the discussion so late; I've been busy and only got the chance to finish the book last night. I'm going to examine the three general theories we're working with: Regulus as R.A.B.; the possibility of Snape carrying out the murder of Dumbledore at his behest; and the possibility of Harry himself being the final Horcrux.

R.A.B. = Regulus Black?

This was the conclusion I immediately came to after finishing the book. Black is the most prominent last name to start with B in the series, and Sirius' brother is (or rather was) named Regulus. Rowling's only other options are to develop a new/unrevealed character, or to reveal that R.A.B. is actually three different individuals. The latter is very unlikely; the note from R.A.B. makes reference to "I."

To the Dark Lord
I know I will be dead long before you read this
but I want you to know it was I who discovered your secret.
I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.
I face death in the hope that when you meet your match,
you will be mortal once more.
R.A.B.

Beyond this, the markedly gloating tone of the note suggests to me that the contents are not meant to misdirect, or even be esoteric; Voldemort should know R.A.B.'s identity. This lends itself strongly in favor of the Regulus theory, as Sirius' brother was a Death Eater. The fact that the note-writer also calls Voldemort the "Dark Lord" implies that it was authored by a Death Eater.

Could Snape have killed Dumbledore to carry out the Headmaster's own orders?

I really doubt it. While most of the books have, on some level, seemed to imply that Snape really was supporting Dumbledore, there is simply too much in Half-Blood Prince that points to Snape's ultimate duplicity.

First, there is the matter of the Unbreakable Vow. It's been suggested that Snape had been told to do whatever was necessary to convince the Death Eaters of his loyalty. However, Snape had already formed a convincing argument for his Death Eater loyalty; even Voldemort was convinced. Moreover, Snape's partial revelation of the Prophecy and subsequent "remorse" seems to have been Dumbledore's primary reason for trusting the "erstwhile" Death Eater. If Snape were truly sorry, it's unlikely that he would have abused Harry so mercilessly throughout the six books. James and Sirius may have abused him at Hogwarts, yes, but he played an obvious role in both their deaths.

Further, page 604 suggests that Snape's face was "suffused with hatred" as he looked down on Harry. Snape reacts with undeniable anger when Harry attempts to use Snape's Sectumsempra spell against its creator.

[...]Snape's pale face, illuminated by the flaming cabin, was suffused with hatred just as it had been before he had cursed Dumbledore.

"You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them—I, the Half-Blood Prince! And you'd turn my inventions on me, like your filthy father, wouldn't you? I don't think so . . . no!"

The significance of this will be addressed momentarily.

At first, I had believed it possible that the "revulsion" and "hatred" etched on Snape's face when he murdered Dumbledore were indicative of self-loathing. The passage immediately after the one I just quoted has Snape screaming at Harry for calling the murderer a coward. I thought it possible, however unlikely, that Snape felt that he had showed courage in killing Dumbledore, staying true to Dumbledore's plan, even though it meant murdering the world's greatest Light wizard. However, this possibility is absoluted "riddle"d ;) with thematic flaws.

First, I cannot see Dumbledore urging, under any circumstances (no matter how dire), an Order member to murder another person. Killing in combat is acceptible; Dumbledore seeks for Harry to strike Voldemort down. However, there is a difference between self-defense and open murder. Dumbledore had no fear for his own life obviously, as he didn't fear death. But Dumbledore did not want Malfoy to murder him, as it would have inextricably tied Malfoy to the Dark. It's clear that one can potentially return from the precipice of moral ruin; Snape had, after all, ostensibly turned his life around after Death Eater activity. But in cold-blooded murder, Snape would have again lost himself. Remember that the Horcrux, the very embodiment of Dark, can only be achieved through murder. It seems to me that it would be particularly galling to Dumbledore for Snape to kill him with Avada Kedavra. This spell, after all, represents the ultimate submission to the Dark.

Further, the series seems to imply that self-sacrifice is, at least on some level, a component of redemption. Having made the Unbreakable Vow, Snape would have died had he turned on the other Death Eaters. Well, I think Sirius said it best in Prisoner of Azkaban:

"What was there to be gained by fighting the most evil wizard who has ever existed?" said Black, with a terrible fury in his face. "Only innocent lives, Peter!"

"You don't understand!" whined Pettigrew. "He would have killed me, Sirius!"

"THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED!" roared Black. "DIED RATHER THAN BETRAY YOUR FRIENDS, AS WE WOULD HAVE DONE FOR YOU!"

As important as Dumbledore may have thought it for Snape to remain a "spy," I don't think that could have possibly extended to Snape's betrayal of the precepts of Good. In any case, Snape had to realize that, compared with Dumbldore, his contributions to the war against Voldemort would necessarily be small. By saving Dumbledore, by sacrificing himself, Snape could have unquestionably redeemed his shadowy past. He did not.

Returning to the page from 604, however, Snape's hatred for Harry is suggested to bear similarity to the hate on his face when he killed Dumbledore. When Snape looks at Harry, though, there is no self-loathing. There is only rage at the remembered impertinences of the father. This suggests two things: his hatred was directed at Dumbledore, not himself when he murdered him; and revenge and duplicity are the true characteristics of his identity as a Slytherin.

Throughout the series, Slytherins are noted to posess numerous negative traits. These include an unseemly lust for power, a willingness to bend the rules to get what they want, a certain petty (or sometimes profound) cruelty or malice, and a willingness to betray, backstab, and otherwise double-deal.

Snape has never seemed overly ambitious (and, it's important to note, ambition in itself is not suggested to be negative or wrong in any way) to me. Rather, his Slytherin traits are embodied in said malice and duplicity. I don't think it's accidental that Snape's personal history bears such close resemblence to Voldemort's. Even as we saw Draco take small steps toward Good, we finally saw Snape for what he always was: completely and perhaps irredeemably evil.

In conclusion, I firmly believe that Snape murdered Dumbldeore because he was a Death Eater and was evil, not out of some distorted desire to carry out Dumbledore's plans. Snape pretty much sucks at life; don't expect him to survive Book 7.

Harry's a Horcrux?

I find this unlikely for a number of reasons. The first is purely technical; the creation of a Horcrux necessarily requires a murder. Admittedly, Voldemort had just killed Harry's parents. However, Voldemort sought to kill Harry. It would certainly be illogical to kill that which embodies a piece of one's soul. Further, Dumbledore suggests that the murder of Harry was meant to be the means for the final Horcrux. Given Voldemort's tendency toward a kind of narcissistic symbolism, I expect that this was indeed the case. However, the critical murder did not work; the Avada Kedavra curse rebounded on Voldemort, tearing him from his physical self. Murder involves intent; Voldemort did not intend to kill himself, obviously (further, because of the previously created Horcruxes, he didn't really "die"). As the vehicle to turn Harry into a Horcrux was not effectively present, the possibility for such a plot twist seems slim.

Also, recall why the curse rebounded on Voldemort. Harry was indelibly shielded by his mother's love. It seems to me that the Horcrux supplants Avada Kedavra as the Magick most symbolically representative of Evil in the series. If love, the greatest power according to Dumbledore, shielded Harry from a Killing Curse, I also believe that it would have prevented him from physically embodying the ultimate Darkness of the Horcrux.

Third, the suggestion that the Prophecy is indicative of this idea is contradicted by the book itself. Dumbledore explicitly states that most of the Prophecies in the Hall have been unfulfilled, since the realization necessary to act on those words was not present. Basically, prophecy is not fate. As such, "Harry the Horcrux" was not predestined. Voldemort, admittedly, did attempt to act on the Prophecy. However, he acted on limited information, thus twisting the actual words. Even if he had heard the entire thing, we still must conclude that fate is not suggested to oversee the world.

Finally, although this can be explained away, I believe Dumbledore could and would have realized if Harry had been used in this manner.

Alright, so Regulus took the amulet horcrux, and dumbledore had the ring one (on his good hand, at the start of the book) which meant that at the start of the book none of the horcruxes had been destroyed. So what the hell happened to his hand? Any theories?

Well, actually, at least one Horcrux was destroyed years before Half-Blood Prince. Dumbledore makes it very clear that Riddle's diary (destroyed by the Basilisk fang in Chamber of Secrets) was actually a Horcrux. As to his hand, it's alluded to several times that the injury occurred because Dumbledore's reactions weren't as quick as they once were. Evidently, in destroying the Peverell Horcrux, he could have avoided injury, but wasn't able to as a result of his advancing age. As to the specifics of the spell that withered his hand (and threatened his life), it's really hard to say.

Super Christ
07-20-2005, 02:34 AM
I've heard the theory that Dumbledore's simply gone into hiding, based on what he said just before to Malfoy when he was talking about hiding him and his mother, specifically "He cannot kill you if you are already dead."

My theory is that I'll find out in the next book. I hope it doesn't take too long to write.

Gollum
07-20-2005, 11:42 AM
I dont think that Harry is a Horcrux but in the first or second book there is a conversation between harry and Dumbledore where Dumbledore says something like: "By trying to kill you he may have actually put a little bit of himself into you" and that is why he has some of Voldemorts abilites like being a parselmouth. Maybe that little piece of Voldemort was a bit of his soul.

PhoenixAsh
07-20-2005, 01:42 PM
I actually hope the next book takes quite a long time, I want it LONG. This book seemed a lot shorter than it could have been, it would have been nice to see more interaction with Ginny, Neville and Luna, plus a lot more class time. I know it might have been a bit dull for some people, but maybe writing an extended version with less plot relevant stuff would have been an idea.

omnitarian
07-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I was kinda dissapointed with how we only got two measly Defense Against the Dark Arts class scenes, considering the once-in-a-lifetime plot twist that surrounded it.

Heath
07-20-2005, 04:40 PM
I dont think that Harry is a Horcrux but in the first or second book there is a conversation between harry and Dumbledore where Dumbledore says something like: "By trying to kill you he may have actually put a little bit of himself into you" and that is why he has some of Voldemorts abilites like being a parselmouth. Maybe that little piece of Voldemort was a bit of his soul.

Yup, that's one of the passages I want to re-read, examine Dumbledore's wording.

Shadow_Wolf 6354
07-20-2005, 06:02 PM
i would like to make a toast to the greatest wizard in all the wizarding world, dumbledore. *raises glass* the books wont be the same without him *drinks*
rab could be reg
the part where dumbledore.......you know....i actually cried cos that is two of my fave charactors gone:sirius and him

you wont remember this encounter
:shoot:

Masamune·1600
07-22-2005, 04:43 AM
I've heard the theory that Dumbledore's simply gone into hiding, based on what he said just before to Malfoy when he was talking about hiding him and his mother, specifically "He cannot kill you if you are already dead."

Actually, this theory is impossible. Harry himself notes that he knew Dumbledore died after he was released from the effects of the Headmaster's final spell.

[...]He had known there was no hope from the moment that the full Body-Bind Curse Dumbledore had placed upon him lifted, known that it could have happened only because its caster was dead...

While Dumbledore probably could have escaped and removed the spell effect, there's no getting around the fact that Snape was sealed by an Unbreakable Vow. Had Snape not killed Dumbledore, and then led the Death Eaters away under the assumption that the Headmaster was dead, then Snape himself would have died.

Momiji
07-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm seriously planning to get this one..... it just sounds really good.

GooeyToast
07-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Just finished it tonight.

Man, the ending was so sad. Dumbledore was my favorite character. Just getting to one of his scenes always re-assured me that what he would say would always mean somthing. But now, that re-assurance is gone. Dumbledore is no more. I cried upon reading this. Soooooooo sad. :weep:

I've heard a lot of interesting theories on this Snape fiasco, none of which i had the common sense to realize upon completion, and each one seems to sway my train of thinking.

I definetly see where KB is coming from. It would make perfect sense. But then again, masamune has bakced up points to prove otherwise. I'm truely torn over the matter. Guess I'll just stop debating it and wait for #7, as long as that may be. Besides, i dont want to alreaady know whats going to happen. That would ruin it for me.

I definetly think REB is Black. That, or an undiscoverd character. It would make sense to me.

And for Harry being a Horcrux, i see the possibility, but it seems to defy what has already been stated.

Firstly, the prophecy stated "Neither can live while the other survives", stating one of em has to die.

So, how is it possible that Harry would be a Horcrux? If he indeed has to destroy the remaining ones before facing Voldemort, than wouldnt that be in essence killing himself? And if that happened, how is he to face Voldemort?

I love how J.K. seems to have had this all thought up even before the first book came out. She knows what shes doing. Shes not going book by book. This is most evident of course with all these little hints and sid-bits Dumbledore has been dropping Harry over the course of the series. I just hope the book will contain any and all un-answered questions.

Now after reading 6, I am so excited for 7, i cant wait. I've been a fan for so long, and to see it all coming to an end will truely be a sad thing. But sadness comes with greatness, and i hope the next one truely is one to go down in the history books.

~Keep it gooey~

Destai
07-23-2005, 02:36 PM
I just finished it ten minutes ago. It was probably the highlight of my summer (and this hasnt been a bad summer or anything) and I wished Id let it last a little longer than a week. I dont understand why Dumbledore was so persistent to see Snape once Harry and him returned to the castle. He just kept repeating get Snape to Harry. Theres definitely something going on. I cant wait for the next book and I hope it will be the longest book of the lot.

nightmare666
07-24-2005, 08:59 PM
hermoine dies at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!! muh ha ha ha ha ha

Kakashi509
07-24-2005, 09:03 PM
hermoine dies at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!! muh ha ha ha ha ha
that would be a true dream come true

Dazed and Confused
07-25-2005, 06:56 AM
I had a feeling that it might have been Hermione because when it described the aftermath of the battle I didn't see her name (I might have missed it).

I personally didn't like Dumbledore, and don't anybody try and make me like him, I get enough of that already.

Snape is one of my favourite characters, and I think that he is still good :)

Old Manus
07-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Finished it yesterday. I have a few speculations, most of them already said.

Snape is obviously a good guy. Dumbledore asking for nobody but Snape, when it would have been much easier for Pomfrey or somebody else, sounds way too fishy.

'Go and wake Severus,' said Dumbledore faintly but clearly. 'Tell him what has happened and bring him to me. Do nothing else, speak to nobody else and do not remove your cloak. I shall wait here.'

This shows that there must have been something Snape knows, or had been told by Dumbledore, to do. And the "Severus .. please" bit shows that Snape must have been in some sort of deal with Dumbledore and Snape had to kill him.

Another thing I wondered is why Dumbledore left Harry there to watch him die when he could have easily signalled Harry to run under the cloak. Of course, Harry had to see it because the story is told from Harry's point of view, but Harry could have crept back in under the cloak or something. It again points to Snape being a goodie.

Is Harry a horcrux? Quite possibly. There is lots of evidence for and against this. As was said before, Dumbledore once said to Harry that Voldemort may have imprinted some of himself into Harry. Also, in OotP, Harry keeps seing into Voldemort's mind, and more importantly, into the snake that attacked Mr. Weasley. If I am not mistaken, the snake was Nagini, who is noted as a horcrux in HBP. Work out what you will from there.
This means that if Harry is a Horcrux, he will in the end have to die to rid the world of Voldemort completely. This will play to the 'Harry can love' part completely, as he dies to save everyone else, something Voldemort cannot get his head round.

I reckon Harry will go back to Advanced Potion Making in the next book, as he had hid it in a place where he could find it, then when he does, he will read through the notes, at first thinking "Agh, what a bastard", then slowly seeing that Snape was really a good guy, and I have a feeling that there will be some all-powerful spell or potion in there which will work against Voldemort.

Now we move on to my mindless speculation which is not backed up.

First off, Mundungus Fletcher. What is his role? He is seen briefly in HBP in a pub having stolen some of Black's belongings. Could he have stolen the locket previously mentioned by KB as well as the other stuff? Also, that scene in the pub seemed to be there for no reason at all, and I thought that there must be something here that would be explained in the next book. I expect Fletcher to have a larger role in book 7.

The potion Dumbledore drunk. What was it? The thought came to me that the potion actually was the Horcrux. On closer reading of the part when Dumbledore drinks it, it seems that Dumbledore is seeing or feeling part of somebody's mind, which may be Voldemort, or one of his victims when he was at the orphanage. Perhaps Dumbledore knew this beforehand, and knew that once he had drunk the Horcrux, he needed Snape to kill him, as he was the only person mad enough to do it.

(Dumbledore)'...don't like ... want to stop ...' ...'I don't want to ... let me go ...'
Then of course this doesn't explain the locket that R.A.B left, as he would have had to drink it too and therefore bugger it up.

After reading this book, I see that it outlines bits of the Bible. Dumbledore is the God figure, while Voldemort is Satan. Snape is Judas. Harry thinks that 'God' (Dumbledore) is gone, whereas Jesus thinks that God has given up on him just before he dies. Judas (Snape) betrays Harry, but then feels remorse for his actions. But if I'm not mistaken, Judas kills himself. Of course a lot of this theory is counting on the last book.

GooeyToast
07-25-2005, 11:20 AM
You bring up some very good points there Manus.

I definetly see where you get the idea of the potion being the Horcrux, but yes, it does seem to contradict the note left by R.E.B.

The only thing about Harry being a horcrux is, wouldnt he have to kill himslef before he killed Voldemort? Dumbledore said Harry must destroy all the horcruxes beofre he kills Voldy, so in essence, he must kill himself first.

But then, how would he finish off Voldemort?

I guess we'll just have to wait & see. :cool:

~Keep it gooey~

fire_of_avalon
07-25-2005, 04:56 PM
I stand by my theory that Harry can't be the final Horcrux because of the prophecy. One cannot live while the other survives. So one of them has to live and one to die, at the final battle.

Rye
07-25-2005, 05:00 PM
I stand by my theory that Harry can't be the final Horcrux because of the prophecy. One cannot live while the other survives. So one of them has to live and one to die, at the final battle.

But he doesn't have to follow the prophecy. He only makes it true if he chooses to. Personally, I think they're both going to die.