PDA

View Full Version : Breath of Fire

Destai
07-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Does anyone play these games? I like them. I think theyre a little bland compared to FF but theyre nice RPG's and I like the refernces like Deis in BoF I-IV.
Ive passed II and IV and Ive started BoF I and Im around the halfway point in BoF V.

Craig
07-16-2005, 08:10 PM
I've got I and II on the GBA, they're okay but as you said a little bland. I borrowed III and was really enjoying it until I had to pass through the desert. I'll get past that bit soon. I vaguely remember IV as it was so long ago that I played it, and I didn't play much. I have yet to play 5, but from what I've seen of it I don't like the character models, and I've been told it's not that good.

Destai
07-16-2005, 08:13 PM
III is supposedly the best and almost unboubtebly the hardest to find. Im not sure if its been released in Europe. I heard it was a bit better than IV but not by much.

Raistlin
07-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Breath of Fire III is a damn good RPG.

Dreddz
07-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Breath of Fire III is a damn good RPG.

XxSephirothxX
07-16-2005, 08:31 PM
I haven't gotten to play III, and didn't especially enjoy the first one, but II was one of my first RPGs and I loved it.

Black Mage
07-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Definitely. I love the Breath of Fire series. I've completed Breath of Fire I, II, III, and IV. I've been meaning to get around to buying V, but I just haven't had the time.

BoFIII was certainly my favorite of the bunch, and also was the reason why I went out and bought Breath of Fire I and II for my SNES years back.

They're a refreshing break from what is considered the "Final Fantasy norm".

SNOOZER
07-17-2005, 04:00 PM
BoF III and IV are my favorite RPGs.

TurkSlayer
07-17-2005, 05:26 PM
BoF III is the best, though I still haven't beaten it. I have I-IV. The only one I've actually beaten is BoF II, but I've beaten it at least 7 times. I don't like I, and IV is okay, but II and III are great.

Dr.K
07-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Only played III. And it was immensely sexual.

Aphelion
07-17-2005, 05:44 PM
I finished IV and V (Dragon Quarter) and barely scratched I and II for GBA. They were all good games, though IV didn't have a good story and V was too short...

Ryudo, Zell's evil twin
07-18-2005, 11:27 AM
i think bof 4 is great ive completed that and bof 5 didnt really like 5 but it was ok im playin bof 2 for gba at the min

KoShiatar
07-18-2005, 03:51 PM
I have played 1-2 long before any Final Fantasy and enjoyed them madly. I'm gonna borrow 3 from a friend of mine as soon as I have finished Final Fantasy 7, probably.

Destai
07-18-2005, 03:58 PM
I played IV first, then II, then V&I. II was the highlight of the series for me.

MoonZapdos
07-18-2005, 04:03 PM
I've only played BOFI&II.

Mercen-X
07-18-2005, 07:40 PM
How the hell are you people finishing V? Becoming a dragon is game over and percentage grows with each step you take. It's total bunk!

Khaotic
07-18-2005, 08:15 PM
*reads his sig*

I'm playing IV, I like the battle graphics and style, but the storyline is pretty boring, its even making it hard to concentrate on it. =/

KoShiatar
07-18-2005, 09:12 PM
By the way, I disagree with those who say Breath of Fire was easier than Final Fantasy. Maybe it was easier than Final Fantasy I, but it had a lot of things to keep track of. You should compare it to Final Fantasy V-VI, that's when it came out more or less.

-A very limited number for item slots.
-Weapons and armor strictly limited in use to a certain character .
-No auto-equipping whatsoever. You have to see for youself if a weapon or armour is better than the one you have or not. And the only way to do so is equipping it, with the possible risk of losing your precoius money.
-You screw up in battle? You're most probably dead.
-Only natural magic. There is no such thing as espers, materia or the job system.
-Consequently, you just can't make up your party with the people you like best like in FF, you HAVE to choose according to inborn abilities.
-Tough bosses. There were (from what I remember) no super-hard bosses, though.
-Absolutely NO airship or the like before the end of the game is very, very close. In BOF II, you even lose the Great Bird at a certain point. (You have a Warp spell though, but it only works for places you have already visited).
-Different endings. You screw up during the final battle or even long before? You can't get the best ending.

And so on...

Craig
07-18-2005, 09:18 PM
I got III back yesterday, finally got past the desert.

I faced Teepo in his Dragon Lord form today and got beat, I think I got quite close to beating him though, 1 or 2 more Auras and he would've been toast.

Lindy
07-18-2005, 09:24 PM
BoFV is the only BoF game to show a TRULY powerful Dragon Form.

BoF had Agni, but even then it was invincible, BoFII had that super Dragon that did 999, but that wasn't endlessly useable, BoFIII had that Gene combo for the HUEG dragon. BoFIV's dragons were just...dolls, they died too easily.

People have too much of a problem with the limit on your Dragon powers in BoFV, why are they limited?

BECAUSE YOUR DRAGON FORM IS INVINCIBLE.

You only take damage from other dragons, of which there are only two in the game (Dva and Cheytre), everything else does no damage to you, while you on the other hand can deal out insane damage, killing everything in minimal hits.

Now if there was no limit, where would the challenge in the game be? Because there is a limit, there is challenge.

Consequently, I like BoFV the best, all the other BoF games were fun but just full of annoying fetch quests "zomg, to get past me standing on this bridge, bring me an apple from the other side of the world, oh and by the way, nobody has ever been to the other side of the world so you have to find someone to take you there, but the only guy who can take you there is in a cave that's blocked off, so you need some dynamite to open it, but the guy who has the dynamite will only trade it for some gold dust, and you find the gold dust in the mine beyond my bridge, but you need to bring me an apple from...", and so on.

BoFV was straight, to the point and fun.

XxSephirothxX
07-18-2005, 10:02 PM
I remember finding the secret snake-lady character in BoFII (was here name Beau, or something?). Having two powerful magic users in your party made it way easier. That being said, the high encounter rate in some places in that game drove me crazy. If I was playing it today, I don't know if it would keep my interest, but it was one of my first RPGs and I really loved it, for some reason. I wish I could find a copy of III or IV, or even V. When Dragon Quarter first came out, I recall reading something about it in EGM, which said that the game actually grew easier when you died, or something, by revealing things you couldn't see before. Sounds...weird.

Crossblades
07-18-2005, 10:32 PM
I played BoF I - IV and I has to say the best ones are II and IV. IMO BoF III sucked

Destai
07-18-2005, 10:35 PM
I remember finding the secret snake-lady character in BoFII (was here name Beau, or something?). Having two powerful magic users in your party made it way easier. The original name is Deis and she was a main character in bof I and "kindve" a main character in bof IV. She appeared in BoF I-IV. Shes an entity that cant die and as I understand it the sister or I & III's godess Maria and the aunt of II's Deathevan.

Craig
07-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Just a quick question, but what did people think of the World Map in III?

I thought it was great, not too open, not too linear.

I'd like to see something similar in an FF.

Dreddz
07-18-2005, 10:44 PM
I liked it
BOF III is a pretty darn good game

Lindy
07-18-2005, 10:52 PM
When Dragon Quarter first came out, I recall reading something about it in EGM, which said that the game actually grew easier when you died, or something, by revealing things you couldn't see before. Sounds...weird.
It's called SOL, Scenario Overlay, you have two options in Dragon Quarter, SOL Restore and SOL Restart.

With SOL Restore, you can save the items you have in storage, the current party EXP, unlocked skills and new weapons/armour over your previous file, so that it has the newer items and such are available at your save earlier on. You can then use the party EXP to level up your characters, so it's easier to progress.

SOL Restart is the same thing, but you return to the beginning of the game.

By Restarting with SOL, you can reveal new story scenes and understand more of the plot, the same goes with finishing the game and improving your Dragon Ratio, the more times you finish the game and the better your Ratio, the more story scenes you can view, and the more areas of the map you can unlock and travel to, in order to get better items, weapons and skills for future playthroughs and thus get even BETTER Dragon Ratios.

The godly ratio, the Dragon Quarter, 1/4 has insane requirements, but it's quite do-able using the SOL system.

It's a very different way to play a game, where sometimes it's easier to just bite the bullet and restore you game to a previous save, especially considering you only have limited saves for the whole game.

Yuffie514
07-19-2005, 02:24 AM
i played Breath of Fire II on my ZNES emulator, but i can't see some things on it, so i quit playing. iz good, i like fishing.

XxSephirothxX
07-19-2005, 02:32 AM
Unless Dragon Quarter can be finished pretty quickly, it sounds to me like the Restart system would be somewhat annoying. I'd hate restarting 2/3 of the way through the game just to flesh out the story more, or complete the game over and over again just to fully experience the plot. I guess I'd have to play it, though, to really understand and judge the system.

DK
07-19-2005, 03:46 AM
I only got to play III, which I hired from a video hire store a long, long time ago, but I do remember it being extremely fun. I'd like to play through it again and complete it some time.

Polnareff
07-19-2005, 04:00 AM
I have all of the BoF's but Dragon Quarter, and I love all of them. What makes this series my favorite RPG series are the characters and the different powers you get in all the different games, like shaman fusion in #2 and the whole dragon genes thing in #3.

And then there's the gameplay. In each game, the battle system is different from the previous one (kinda like in FF). The combo system in BoF4 was topnotch, and some of the moves you could get from helping the faeries build their village, such as Super Combo and Faerie Charge were great and useful.

My favorite BoF is 4, with 3 being the second. The reason for this are because of the battle system and the plot twists such as Ershin being controlled by Deis of the previous BoF games

I don't mind the "fetch quests" as someone else called them because they weren't too overly frustrating and doing them was a good chance to meet new characters, get more items, and gain more levels. At least they give you motivation to play.

beaglegod
07-19-2005, 07:00 AM
I just ordered a copy of BoF 4 from ebay after reading this thread(Ive yet to play any of them)I assume its ok to pick up from 4 if not let me know.I also decided to check out the soundtrack on Blue Laguna, and all I can say is wow! I didnt expect such a good soundtrack,I love the whole indian theme throughout with scitar and tabla,and a lotta bass. Of course I cant find it anywhere other than in mp3 format on several sites. Anybody know where I can find a copy?

TurkSlayer
07-19-2005, 08:30 AM
I remember finding the secret snake-lady character in BoFII (was here name Beau, or something?). Having two powerful magic users in your party made it way easier.

Bleu. Also known as Dias. She appears in every game. A playable character in I, a secret character in II (And my favorite/most useful), a slightly important role in III, and technically a playable character in IV.

I'd say II is probably one of the easiest RPGs I've ever played. I love the game, but it really doesn't take long to beat, at least it didn't for me. Also, I have only one complaint about III, and thats how you stay a kid for so :skull::skull::skull::skull:ing long! Its okay for II, because it was just the prologue and it lasted about ten minutes. But in III, your a kid for at least half the game. I found that really annoying.

Mercen-X
07-19-2005, 10:29 AM
People have too much of a problem with the limit on your Dragon powers in BoFV, why are they limited?

BECAUSE YOUR DRAGON FORM IS INVINCIBLE.

You only take damage from other dragons, of which there are only two in the game (Dva and Cheytre), everything else does no damage to you, while you on the other hand can deal out insane damage, killing everything in minimal hits.

Now if there was no limit, where would the challenge in the game be? Because there is a limit, there is challenge.
Game gets easier f'ya bite the bullet . . . annoying gameplay mechanic. How can a game be straight forward if it requires you die a lot just to progress? :confused:

Lindy
07-19-2005, 11:29 AM
You don't have to die to progress, in fact dying is the one thing you don't want to do because you lose all your party EXP, you'd have to SOL Restore or Restart for it to get easier.

And there's also the fact that you never actually have to Restore or Restart if you don't make stupid decisions.

Pure Strife
07-19-2005, 01:44 PM
IV was good fun, I have that knocking around somewhere, saved pretty far in.

I picked up V expecting it be a lot like IV, but it really isn't. It felt like more of a really slow dungeon crawl compared to IV. Not my thing.

Craig
07-20-2005, 03:24 PM
I just beat Myria on III. She was alot easier than I expected, I didn't even bother to change into a Dragon. Just boosted Ryu up a with a couple of Mights from Momo, got Rei his extra turn with Speed and used Ryu to pound away with Super Combo doing around 2100 at 9 hits, while Rei healed anyone who needed it.

I saved my game after the credits on a clear game, what's the difference between that and the normal game?

Destai
07-20-2005, 03:48 PM
When we think of game sharing for a portable game, we imagine a competitive title like Mario Kart or Puyo Puyo. So it was with great surprise that we learned that Capcom's upcoming PSP port of Breath of Fire III would feature single disk play... sorta. Those hoping to take part in the full Breath of Fire III adventure will have to do so on their own UMD. However, it's possible to try out one area of the game via game sharing. As one of the new elements for the PSP version, Capcom is hyping up a new fishing mode, included as a separate mode of play. Owners of the Breath of Fire III disk can transfer a fishing mini game to their friends' PSP units so that everyone can take part in the fun. It's not much, but it's better then nothing. Well... depending on the quality of the fishing game, that is.

Breath of Fire III hits Japan on 8/25.

Itsunari 2000
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
I was wondering when someone would make a thread about these games.

I'm fairly new to the BOF series,having only played IV and seen a brief glimpse of the predecessors.I'm impressed as it's a refreshing change from the much more highly acclaimed FF,both in terms of gameplay and storyline,though I felt in IV there was a lack of good characterization in the main characters ( Scias resembled a mobile block of wood).Anyway,I think they're a nice series of games that are worth playing.

PS. Fou Lu is awesome.

Classic Axe
07-24-2005, 09:06 AM
I have 1 and 2, and I like part 2 especially a lot. Really one of my all time favorite RPGs. I don't know why that game is so addictive. I love the steep learning curve. It's one of the few RPGs that came out post NES that gave you a real challenge to draw you in. It was also so huge. The irreligious theme is a little overbearing, but nothing like in Angst-o-gears.
The biggest problem is that some parts of the game can be so maddenly frustrating, and the dungeons absolutely huge to ridiculous levels. Case in point; Highfort. To a lesser degree, the french frog palace sucked a lot, but that was mostly the music. When you do get past those terrible places though, and get over being cast out of those ever so hard to reach places such as Windia, you finally get to see them from the inside again. It's so rewarding! Either way, the theme (animal people) places really bug you, but you feel good that you accomplish them. The animal poeple always sucked, I thought. Also, the characters are really unpredictable and interesting at times, which is a good thing.
....and everyone loves WildCat's cafe!